Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This has nothing to do with the next vote or really anything but I'm just wondering if there's an Omar and if so if he's 3P.

I think yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I'd be pissed if the scum team was like, the shipping scam guys from season 2 and the barksdale gang was with town.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Omg I hope someone is Ziggy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Alright, here is a scattershot from my reread.

---
Opop is a payphone voter. After the nice breakdown of why cellphone is the better choice, he posts:

Opopanax posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense, but I'm confident they wouldn't pick cells D1. The nose knows

Many of his posts are focused on Ard, even post claim. He has a bunch of small posts reinforcing that position even going so far as to say that Ard won't be able to bring back the dead and he'll have some excuse. Obviously this was all wrong. This all feels like wrong town to me as opposed to scum.

---
I'm not seeing a lot to judge Magnus Gallant on. He is a payphone voter and voted Ard and Hurt, but there aren't a lot of details. He didn't say anything about his vote on Hurt, just jumped on the bandwagon. It does seem odd and I agree with Rarity that I'd like to hear Magnus thoughts on the game.

--
MCS is interesting to me as he hasn't really had a lot to say about anything except the intercept, which he voted payphones on. I can't fault him for his vote for Fast Luck given my vote was there, but he didn't really say much about it other than he was also interested in Ice. Bottom line, he doesn't seem to be putting himself out there in any real way. I'm leaning scum here.

--
Fast Luck reads like himself to me now, and fairly towny. He made a bad intercept call but that looks like it really.

--
Ice had the most to say about intercepts but otherwise hasn't really put himself out there. He hopped on the Ardulac Bandwagon and now is voting Sam for inactivity. I have a lurker bias, so I can't condemn him for the Sam vote, but I can see why people would think Ice was scum.

--
On Ix

Fast Luck posted:

The one thing I've gathered so far from intercept chat is a kind of good read on Lil' Ton. After making a really long post with math in it that seemed to amount to nothing, he made a lost-cause case for voting meetings (which I actually liked, oops) and I don't really feel like scum would have made such a pointless argument when they easily could have just jumped on the payphone bandwagon if they didn't want to be intercepted, or on the cellphone vote if they didn't want to incriminate themselves.

I pretty much agree with this entirely and was surprised when I got back to the end of the thread to find him again mentioning my name without actually casing or anything. That would normally seem scummy to me, but I'm already leaning town on him based on the above.

I'd really like to hear more from people before I make a call one way or the other, but these are my reads so far.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina replaces Sam.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi I am in this game now. I will read it tomorrow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

Hi I am in this game now.

Well, poop

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
So I still don't like Dugong's posts today. He or she still hasn't even ACKNOWLEDGED any post I made towards them and when I asked anybody about their thoughts on them that got ignored too. What the heck!! Am I alive!!! Is this thing on!!!

!!!!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

I voted payphones on a gut instinct and didn't see any significant reason to change my vote before it was hammered. I'm sure I would have changed my vote if it mattered but you probably don't care! Actually you probably do, since you keep saying we shouldn't let discussion of the intercepts drive us but you have on multiple occasions brought conversation back to them. You're really aggressive and that seems kinda scummy to me!

But then, there's Sam., who said all of two things on the first day. In fact his last post was five days ago. And both his posts were incredibly low content. So that's who I'd start with today.

##intercept: cellphones

##vote: Sam.

I don't mind this post as a prod vote but taking out another lurker for the gently caress of it doesn't seem like the best action to take as far as finding scum.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
So we're not suppose to go back and read the first Wire, and this might be a better PM to TT than here but whatever, did getting a few messages from over the wire mean we picked the right one (meaning like, would there be NOTHING picked up if we picked the wrong one?) or are all 3 methods used and we just got the cellphone one since that was majority but it wasn't the actual method used? The only reason I'm asking is because on the OP it says VALUABLE information and I don't see how any of that is valuable when it's just somebody telling another person how PERSON 1 should kill.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Omg I hope someone is Ziggy.

I want me some Brother Mouzone.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Results imply correct choice.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thanks.

Wonder if it's worth it to read into the voices anyway. Specifically voice 3 but no clue what "Thinking 25" is towards. Voice 2 sounds like a mafia vet. That's all I got.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Deadbeat Dad posted:

So I still don't like Dugong's posts today. He or she still hasn't even ACKNOWLEDGED any post I made towards them and when I asked anybody about their thoughts on them that got ignored too. What the heck!! Am I alive!!! Is this thing on!!!

!!!!

Dugong posted:

Fell asleep making my post before hammertime. It wouldn't have changed the vote that late and probably made no sense but :britain:

Again, I'm sorry. Let me have breakfast and I'll do an effortpost.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Firstly, there is Somberbrero. Looking through only his post history, he makes sense as a scum kill. He quickly picked up on the Cell Phones tactic and was part of the sway from Payphones to Cell Phones. I think more subtly he managed to blow open the talk about the intercepts so he was being very helpful. Additionally, he voted DBD and Ard and called out Rarity. It does seem a bit transparent for scum to kill someone who was voting them but similarly to the intercepts, it becomes a circular argument. Rarity got called out similarly in The League and turned out to be town. I haven't played with DBD and Ard before so I don't really have much to go on. Basically I think Somber was killed for hitting too close to home, either in terms of how the intercepts worked or for who he thought was scum.

Then there is the Payphones V Cells chat:

Opopanax posted:

##intercept payphones
Mac, Mac I don't trust you. Mac.

Opopanax posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense, but I'm confident they wouldn't pick cells D1. The nose knows

I'm not sure about Opop on this one. Mac suggests going on Cells because it denies scum the biggest reward and then Opop just dismisses it and then later votes Payphones with not much reasoning. Similarly, Magnus voted Payphones early on and then just threw some lynch votes around.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Oh didn't realize it was plurality.

Still would like as many people as possible to put down a vote.

Why? The lynch was basically secured at that point.

BTW I think this 'not voting noobies' stuff is rubbish. It just seems like a poor method to justify for someone else. In retrospect my lynching whoever has posted the least post was pretty bad.

Side chat: I am sad Sam left. This is only my second game but I want to become a grizzled Mafia player.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity posted:

Well, poop

Yes?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

So we're not suppose to go back and read the first Wire, and this might be a better PM to TT than here but whatever, did getting a few messages from over the wire mean we picked the right one (meaning like, would there be NOTHING picked up if we picked the wrong one?) or are all 3 methods used and we just got the cellphone one since that was majority but it wasn't the actual method used? The only reason I'm asking is because on the OP it says VALUABLE information and I don't see how any of that is valuable when it's just somebody telling another person how PERSON 1 should kill.
To be honest, I picked up a few small observations from that snippet that I didn't know if I should share (didn't want to tip scum off on my leads). But whatever, let's go:

Tremendous Taste posted:

Voice 1: I'd say we let column 1 player send in the nightkill.
Voice 2: Bad Idea, I'll explain later.
Voice 3: *static* Thinking 25.
Notice that Voice 2 doesn't say "Bad idea," but "Bad Idea." That's a minor stylistic tell, it means one of our scum capitalizes words for effect. For example:

IcePhoenix posted:

A couple important things we should keep in mind is that if we guess right then we get "Valuable Information," though we don't know what that entails.

Dugong posted:

I thought I had better get one if I wanted to become The King of Mafia.
etc. Dugong's example here doesn't fit quite as well because The King of Mafia is something of a "title," whereas Valuable Information is using capital letters to stress a concept.

To find who engages in this little stylistic indulgence you wouldn't even have to confine your search to this thread, you could just check their post history and cruise through it. Seems like a lot of effort though, and those are just the two first examples I bumped into. I haven't gone over the whole thread let alone people's post histories.

Secondly,

Tremendous Taste posted:

Voice 1: I'd say we let column 1 player send in the nightkill.
Voice 2: Bad Idea, I'll explain later.
Voice 3: *static* Thinking 25.
You can ask yourself, why would they not want column 1 player to send in the nightkill? As a newbie I'm not sure if there's other obvious reasons, but it seems to me like that might be a person they thought could be tracked that night. Note that this conversation probably was had before we lynched Hurt and he flipped as our tracker.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:thejoke:

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Dugong posted:

BTW I think this 'not voting noobies' stuff is rubbish. It just seems like a poor method to justify for someone else. In retrospect my lynching whoever has posted the least post was pretty bad.

It's something done in all mafia games here.

CapitalistPig posted:

##vote ip

##intercept payphones

This is the cheapest post I've seen in this game.

While following this, I found no opinion at all in your post history; cheap references to the series, some quote-votes, and a few not very hard hitting questions.

##vote cpig

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys I have to go shopping and then see GotG but I will catch up sometime this evening I promise.

Also f u Rarity.

I would vote for you but maybe I will read the thread and find out you are a mod confirmed cop or something.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Fast Luck posted:

Notice that Voice 2 doesn't say "Bad idea," but "Bad Idea." That's a minor stylistic tell, it means one of our scum capitalizes words for effect. For example:

This is clever. If I hadn't already done a full reread yesterday, I would go look for this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

Hi guys I have to go shopping and then see GotG but I will catch up sometime this evening I promise.

Also f u Rarity.

I would vote for you but maybe I will read the thread and find out you are a mod confirmed cop or something.

Nope, I'm just self-confirmed awesome

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

For the intercept I'm still thinking cell phones; even if this is after the choice of communication method is done for this day it seems reasonable to block out the "best" choice - or at least gain some information. ##intercept: cellphones

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

dorkanoid posted:

It's something done in all mafia games here.

This is the cheapest post I've seen in this game.

While following this, I found no opinion at all in your post history; cheap references to the series, some quote-votes, and a few not very hard hitting questions.

##vote cpig

Lol way to be a dumb idiot fucker.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##intercept: meetings

The votes for intercepts are nothing but posturing, so consider this a protest. We're not gaining valuable information from the intercepts (remember what I said about scum being able to manipulate their communications?) and I doubt we're actually causing scum to rethink their actions (since they can simply choose the best option every day and speak in such a way that avoids implication). If they go something other than cell phones today, I'll be very surprised and will begrudgingly play the intercept WIFOM game tomorrow.

Fast Luck posted:

You can ask yourself, why would they not want column 1 player to send in the nightkill? As a newbie I'm not sure if there's other obvious reasons, but it seems to me like that might be a person they thought could be tracked that night. Note that this conversation probably was had before we lynched Hurt and he flipped as our tracker.

You're attempting to go off of a scumdoc which we cannot trust the validity of because they know it's going to be intercepted at points in time. Ask yourself this: Somberbrero was the only death last night. Was he #25? There's only 21 players total in the game right now, there has to be something more obscure than just picking a number. Oh wait. Maybe there were multiple kill targets and scum hit a bulletproof or a hider or got roleblocked. Maybe there's an SK who got to Somberbrero first, or vice versa. I'm just a newbie asking questions here, don't mind me as I disappear down the rabbit hole of pulling possibilities out of my rear end.

You're attempting to add content in two means:

A: Asking questions of the setup, which isn't actually playing the game. Analyzing night actions doesn't win games, analyzing people wins games.

B: Trying to analyze a known unreliable document with three lines. In the words of the Australian Department of Defence,

"There are insufficient symbols to provide a pattern.
The symbols could be a complex substitute code or the meaningless response to a disturbed mind.
It is not possible to provide a satisfactory answer."

Unfortunately, you're not actually providing content with this post, you're raising questions that aren't answerable because they're completely unknowable (setup) or nobody's foolish enough to answer them due to the implications (why scum do this?). This isn't scum hunting, it's obfuscation.

##vote Fast Luck

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

The votes for intercepts are nothing but posturing, so consider this a protest. We're not gaining valuable information from the intercepts (remember what I said about scum being able to manipulate their communications?) and I doubt we're actually causing scum to rethink their actions (since they can simply choose the best option every day and speak in such a way that avoids implication). If they go something other than cell phones today, I'll be very surprised and will begrudgingly play the intercept WIFOM game tomorrow.

So what, you're intentionally denying information to all of us because you think it's not helpful?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dugong posted:

So what, you're intentionally denying information to all of us because you think it's not helpful?

If my one vote would sway it, I'll change it.

As it stands right now, the intercept isn't providing anything but cover for people to hem and haw about things that aren't actual scum hunting.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Combined with my previous read on you, you seem pretty scummy to me. So here you are saying we aren't gaining valuable information from the intercepts, so lets deliberately choose the option that scum are least likely to pick since it is most harmful to them. You even say in this SAME post, scum can choose the best option every day and speak to avoid implication. But you don't want to vote for that option? There is no reason to choose meetings based on anything in your post.

Like, honestly, I don't know what the gently caress you are doing here. It seems schizophrenic.

##vote Meds Cure Schizos

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

If my one vote would sway it, I'll change it.

As it stands right now, the intercept isn't providing anything but cover for people to hem and haw about things that aren't actual scum hunting.

You. You are the person that is only talking about intercepts. It is your entire post history. Your read on FL above is the first time you've said anything worthwhile the entire game and I don't even agree with it. It seems to be the same nonsense you are justifying your meetings vote with. So if anyone is using it for "cover", it is you.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

You'll be very surprised if they do something other than cell phones, but you're voting meetings? So you literally are trying NOT to intercept them?

You're attempting to go off of a scumdoc which we cannot trust the validity of because they know it's going to be intercepted at points in time. Ask yourself this: Somberbrero was the only death last night. Was he #25? There's only 21 players total in the game right now, there has to be something more obscure than just picking a number. Oh wait. Maybe there were multiple kill targets and scum hit a bulletproof or a hider or got roleblocked. Maybe there's an SK who got to Somberbrero first, or vice versa. I'm just a newbie asking questions here, don't mind me as I disappear down the rabbit hole of pulling possibilities out of my rear end.

You're attempting to add content in two means:

A: Asking questions of the setup, which isn't actually playing the game. Analyzing night actions doesn't win games, analyzing people wins games.

B: Trying to analyze a known unreliable document with three lines. In the words of the Australian Department of Defence,

"There are insufficient symbols to provide a pattern.
The symbols could be a complex substitute code or the meaningless response to a disturbed mind.
It is not possible to provide a satisfactory answer."

Unfortunately, you're not actually providing content with this post, you're raising questions that aren't answerable because they're completely unknowable (setup) or nobody's foolish enough to answer them due to the implications (why scum do this?). This isn't scum hunting, it's obfuscation.

##vote Fast Luck
Same kind of thing here. The intercepts are part of the game, aren't they? Does the fact that I attempted to actually glean something from that game mechanic make me scummy? You can say it's not reliable information, but really now, that's absurd to say that I'm scum just for looking at what was given to us.

I mean, do you really think someone wrote "Bad Idea" with capital letters intentionally just in case that line would be intercepted and just to throw us off? That's ridiculous. And isn't that "analyzing people" in a way, by looking at their typing habits? Finally, it's funny that you're talking about how analyzing people wins games, because frankly, your analysis skills need some serious retuning.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

King Burgundy posted:

Combined with my previous read on you, you seem pretty scummy to me. So here you are saying we aren't gaining valuable information from the intercepts, so lets deliberately choose the option that scum are least likely to pick since it is most harmful to them. You even say in this SAME post, scum can choose the best option every day and speak to avoid implication. But you don't want to vote for that option? There is no reason to choose meetings based on anything in your post.

Like, honestly, I don't know what the gently caress you are doing here. It seems schizophrenic.

##vote Meds Cure Schizos

It was a protest vote, it's right there in the first line.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ixtlilton posted:

It was a protest vote, it's right there in the first line.

To be clear, are you agreeing with MCS?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

King Burgundy posted:

To be clear, are you agreeing with MCS?

That the intercept information was useless and if scum has a system of code names we probably won't get anything out of it ever and they probably chose cellphones again if that's the case? Yes.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ixtlilton posted:

That the intercept information was useless and if scum has a system of code names we probably won't get anything out of it ever and they probably chose cellphones again if that's the case? Yes.

That we should therefore vote somewhere else and not intercept them?

That is the part that is messed up. The concept of protest voting against the interests of the town. Do you agree with that?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

King Burgundy posted:

That we should therefore vote somewhere else and not intercept them?

That is the part that is messed up. The concept of protest voting against the interests of the town. Do you agree with that?

Not in that context, no. And now I have a question for you, are you or are you not a member of the Barksdale Organization?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ixtlilton posted:

Not in that context, no. And now I have a question for you, are you or are you not a member of the Barksdale Organization?

I have no idea what that is. I don't think so? I re-checked my PM and there is nothing that says Barksdale.

If you are asking if I'm Mafia, the answer to that is also no.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

King Burgundy posted:

I have no idea what that is. I don't think so? I re-checked my PM and there is nothing that says Barksdale.

Wait, have you seen the show?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

Oh poo poo, actually, there IS something that says Barksdale, but it looks like a quote? Has nothing to do with my role or name?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ixtlilton posted:

Wait, have you seen the show?

Only 2 episodes ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Okay, what does the quote say and what's your character name?

• Locked thread