Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody is wrong about a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Somebody is off their meds.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

barkingclam posted:

I don't really have an opinion one way or another about deckle edging, but I enjoy how it makes some people so mad that Amazon has to specify if a book has it or not.

They specify it because it's a selling point, not a deterrent.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I have an old book where the edges are so deckle that one page ends a full inch before the cover.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Joramun posted:

I always thought it was because of complaints. Either way I enjoy how they specify. But maybe I'm weird; I bought a book yesterday and didn't even realize it's deckle edged until I got home.

Helmacron posted:

Unless you're on the decklage that steeps down yonder from you, the page underneath's width that mm longer or so, then you gotta play some tricky poo poo out because someone, somewhere, thought that inconveniencing you personally with some weird old fashioned book cut was his God Given mission circa 2012. I feel like people who like deckled edging would be the people who appreciate Monty Python for it's timelessness and don't entirely think we should, you know, but that it would be pretty cool if we only used the original Oxford Dictionary for english and here's why:

loving deckling. My friend works at an opportunity shop, or volunteers or whatever, and he's always bringing stuff home and it tends to be great but he has such a huge collection of books at his disposal, we're always trying to think of something to do with such a selection of Crichton and Steele and Smith, and it never occured to me, like, not even as whimsy, until he brought home I think some Eggers book with deckled edging and it hit me, book burning party. Deckled Edging Gave Me The Idea For A Book Burning Party.

:golfclap:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Joramun posted:

It's sort of both. It's mostly used as a selling point, but then there are also people who will complain or return a book because they think they were sent a poor quality copy and that something is wrong with the pages.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

They are the same sort of people who returned copies of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo dvds because they thought they were actually pirated copies.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Is there a thread for spy fiction? I would make one but I never post in TBB so I don't really know what a good op would be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Politicalrancor posted:

Is there a thread for spy fiction? I would make one but I never post in TBB so I don't really know what a good op would be.

I don't think we have one unless the "airport fiction" one counts (maybe it does? probably a lot of overlap?). I'm not going to come down too harsh on potentially duplicate threads because we're a relatively low traffic forum so overall more threads == improvement. For similar reasons I'm not going to demand mega high levels of effort from a new thread post -- we've had major threads started by one-line requests as often as by huge effortposts. If you want to suck in folks I'd recommend including Tim Power's Declare, though.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think we have one unless the "airport fiction" one counts (maybe it does? probably a lot of overlap?). I'm not going to come down too harsh on potentially duplicate threads because we're a relatively low traffic forum so overall more threads == improvement. For similar reasons I'm not going to demand mega high levels of effort from a new thread post -- we've had major threads started by one-line requests as often as by huge effortposts. If you want to suck in folks I'd recommend including Tim Power's Declare, though.

ok cool, ill give it a shot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Question --

Thinking about starting in on Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Where is it on the scale of "junk" to "good"? I mean, I realize it's not gonna be any Patrick O'Brian here, but is it worthwhile or is it drivel?

Similarly, what order should I read them in, since apparently he wrote them in non-chronological order? I hate it when authors do that.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Question --

Thinking about starting in on Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Where is it on the scale of "junk" to "good"? I mean, I realize it's not gonna be any Patrick O'Brian here, but is it worthwhile or is it drivel?

Similarly, what order should I read them in, since apparently he wrote them in non-chronological order? I hate it when authors do that.

They're good if sometimes a little repetitive in terms of plots. Although I guess with 20-odd books in the series its inevitable that it will start feeling samey. I enjoyed them quite a bit! My advice would be to read them in the chronological order of events, since some of the prequels do a decent amount of characterization that makes the later books a bit more interesting.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I would like to reread Dune as it has been many years. Should I look for an original version or the 40th anniversary edition? Also does any one know what version the Barnes and Noble hardcover version is as it has a very pretty cover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Unknownmass posted:

I would like to reread Dune as it has been many years. Should I look for an original version or the 40th anniversary edition? Also does any one know what version the Barnes and Noble hardcover version is as it has a very pretty cover.

I would imagine the actual text itself is identical between all versions. I think the 40th anniversary edition has a new introduction or something.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I think I might want to make a thread on the worst genre of fiction, paranormal romance/urban fantasy (they seem to be the same thing with a scale of "adult" content). Would any one post or would it be a waste of effort to make the first post? My ipad is filled with the trash and it is like popcorn in that one bite is never enough.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fallorn posted:

I think I might want to make a thread on the worst genre of fiction, paranormal romance/urban fantasy (they seem to be the same thing with a scale of "adult" content). Would any one post or would it be a waste of effort to make the first post? My ipad is filled with the trash and it is like popcorn in that one bite is never enough.

That depends on whether you're making a serious thread discussing the few good series in those genres or a joke thread about all the terrible books. The Dresden Files thread basically serves as the former.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I mean I could most likely do the 99 books for the year just in that genre this year and even if it is bad, some of them are bad in an enjoyable way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Whoa this thread is on the last page, gonna bump dis

Should I make it a sticky thread again or leave it to float?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Whoa this thread is on the last page, gonna bump dis

Should I make it a sticky thread again or leave it to float?

Sticky! Let's talk books!

Here's something vaguely discussion-y: Does anyone have any links or sources of really good literary criticism of popular non-Western canon books? I'm talkin' like a really good literary analysis of, like, Harry Potter or something. Preferably not ideological or gender criticism, and especially not anything like those spergy dumb "theories" you see about A Song of Ice and Fire. An example of good stuff would be like Chuck Klosterman's piece on Breaking Bad, but for popular literature rather than tv.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 7, 2014

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Sticky! Let's talk books!

Here's something vaguely discussion-y: Does anyone have any links or sources of really good literary criticism of popular non-Western canon books? I'm talkin' like a really good literary analysis of, like, Harry Potter or something. Preferably not ideological or gender criticism, and especially not anything like those spergy dumb "theories" you see about A Song of Ice and Fire. An example of good stuff would be like Chuck Klosterman's piece on Breaking Bad, but for popular literature rather than tv.

Do you mean something like Love After The Tale of Genji?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here use ebook subscription services? I gave Kindle Unlimited a try because it was 5 bucks cheaper than my Audible subscription and its integration with Audible (provided the book you have has an audio book version) felt like I could cheap out, but then everything I've read on the Internet says that it's missing so many of the big name publishers that it's really not worth it. And then they turn around and recommend Oyster and Scribd instead.

So now I'm torn between dropping Unlimited, going back to Audible (at least anything I buy from them I keep forever) giving these other services a try or just buying the books that I want directly and just sticking to a budget

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good book blogs? I recently started one of my own since the ones I found were either all YA or romance/erotic.

I like to read all types of genres, fantasy being my favorite. Looking for well written reviews and recommendations. Does anyone in this thread have a book blog?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

What's our favourite audiobooks? I, Partridge read by Steve Coogan is one of the best things in the world.

I have a job for a little while where I can wear earphones, listened to Animal Farm today as it has been like a decade since I've read it & I enjoyed the heck out of being paid to listen to an entire story in my shift.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'll listen to anything read by George Guidall, and I particularly liked his reading of An Army at Dawn. He's like the stereotypical grandpa telling you a story over a crackling fire.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I am looking for a recommendation for a book about the modern processes of searching and drilling for oil/natural gas, which I guess can be boiled down to "how does fracking work?" I'm currently looking through Amazon results, and the first couple pages seem to just be cases for or against the process, but nothing about the process itself. I also understand that most, if not all, of the information I am wanting to read about are considered a trade secrets. I want to know more than just water is pumped into the ground and oil magically comes out.

This is kind of an "out there" request, but any help would be appreciated.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

pakman posted:

I am looking for a recommendation for a book about the modern processes of searching and drilling for oil/natural gas, which I guess can be boiled down to "how does fracking work?" I'm currently looking through Amazon results, and the first couple pages seem to just be cases for or against the process, but nothing about the process itself. I also understand that most, if not all, of the information I am wanting to read about are considered a trade secrets. I want to know more than just water is pumped into the ground and oil magically comes out.

This is kind of an "out there" request, but any help would be appreciated.

In this case, I would definitely start with Wikipedia. The explanation seems to be pretty solid, it talks about some of the chemicals used in the fracking liquid, and it has a ton of cites where you can read further.

Also, there's a well very close to us so if you want to ask any real specific questions, I will answer to to the best of my ability.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

All right this is a long shot I think but if anyone owns the Everyman's Library version of either Testament, Old or New, could you post a photo of a page?

I'd like to see how they're formatted and there's no Amazon preview or picture like this anywhere online it seems.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there a particular thread that covers fantasy stuff like Robin Hobb's Farseer stuff? I've just picked up the new one and find myself somewhat at a loss to remember what happened since he had his uncle take over his body to knock up his hot Queen with the new heir.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

mirthdefect posted:

Is there a particular thread that covers fantasy stuff like Robin Hobb's Farseer stuff? I've just picked up the new one and find myself somewhat at a loss to remember what happened since he had his uncle take over his body to knock up his hot Queen with the new heir.

Oh man, you're missing an entire trilogy. And yeah, it's the Sci Fi & Fantasy Thread.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh man, you're missing an entire trilogy. And yeah, it's the Sci Fi & Fantasy Thread.

Nah I've read it all, but the original stuff came out when I was about 9 so it's a ways back now.
Thanks for the link.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Nah I've read it all, but the original stuff came out when I was about 9 so it's a ways back now.
Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I read all the previous books a long time ago too. I had a hard time remembering who and what some of the characters were in the new one but most of them were either explained or were refreshed in my memory while reading it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

savinhill posted:

Yeah, I read all the previous books a long time ago too. I had a hard time remembering who and what some of the characters were in the new one but most of them were either explained or were refreshed in my memory while reading it.

A little bit of wiki searching helped too. I'd forgotten how soul-crushingly depressing her endings were though, I was not prepared for that.

Malom
Dec 29, 2009
How much of ASoiaF do I need to read before I catch up to where the show is? I'd ask in those threads but spoilers are pretty thick.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

Malom posted:

How much of ASoiaF do I need to read before I catch up to where the show is? I'd ask in those threads but spoilers are pretty thick.
All of it, if you don't want to be spoiled on anything.

Malom
Dec 29, 2009
My question was poorly worded. I've watched all of the HBO series. I'm curious to know how far into the books the show is currently. I've started the first book.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Certain storylines have gotten to Books 4 & 5, but overall, the series has covered up to the end of Book 3.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Malom posted:

My question was poorly worded. I've watched all of the HBO series. I'm curious to know how far into the books the show is currently. I've started the first book.

The show is at the end of Book 3 in some points, and at the end/nearly past all the books in others.

The correct answer at this point of the show is: read all of them.

The super double correct answer is: read the first 3 books and forget the series exists because books 4+5 are awful.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Malom posted:

I'm a TV show follower first and book reader after the TV covers the book material. As others said, You can read up through book 3. There are 2 spoilers I can think of at the end of book 3 that have not been covered yet on HBO, but otherwise you will be fine up to that point.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Should I buy the newer translation of Roadside Picnic? I have an older one downloaded, but I've heard it's a bit janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else have 5+ series they have all started and are halfway through?

I'm going to have to start finishing them