Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Some manner of illness, but no specifics given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I hope his death wasn't the reason for him not being in Power Rangers beyond Zeo.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

I hope his death wasn't the reason for him not being in Power Rangers beyond Zeo.

I want to say he took a break from acting after his brother passed away so that might have been part of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tommy's brother died while piloting the ship that transported Bulk and Alpha 6 back to Earth from Mironoi, which was Pyramidis housing the zeo zords and super zeo zords, all destroyed. The cause was Lokar, but Tommy's brother sacrificed himself to destroy Lokar once and for all, after turning to Bulk and saying "I'm the Phantom Ranger".

And that's how all those plots were tied up.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Liar Lyre posted:

his brother's death happened just before Thuy Trang's death in 2001. He was well done with PR before it happened.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Astro Nut posted:

Nick from Mystic Force was also played by a Lebanese Australian. The show's still got some pace to pick up in terms of possible representation, but its gotten better about it over time at least (overall).

Don't forget the Samurai's red ranger was Japanese! At least according to the show he was....

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rocky is also, apparently, Hispanic. Mind, so is his actor, so I guess that works?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JT Smiley posted:

Don't forget the Samurai's red ranger was Japanese! At least according to the show he was....

That dude was whiter than Christmas morning. You can't fool me Saban.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cernunnos posted:

Haven't you ever heard the legend of The Great White Samurai?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Senerio posted:

RIP Chris Farley.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Senerio posted:

I would have went with Tom Cruise, but sure.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cernunnos posted:

I know a guy born and raised in Mexico that is whiter than I am. :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rewatching Power Rangers RPM, and I forgot how much fun it was to watch. My favorite episode is And... Action, the behind the scenes episode.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I knew Jetman was considered by many to be the best Sentai series, but I'm less than halfway through and it's already way, way better than it has any right to be. The one-off MOTW episodes are almost always funny and/or exciting, and the multi-parters have all been walk-off home runs. None of the characters are flat except maybe Tran. With the other series I've watched, I usually at least look up the title of the next handful episodes to get a sense for the season, but Jetman is so engaging that I've stopped doing that for fear of spoiling myself. It's that good. Can anybody shed any light on why Jetman was written so well in comparison to some of the other series? I know they were basing it around Gatchaman to some extent, but were there new writers on board or something?

Also, any recommendations for what I should watch next? I've seen Zyuranger and Dairanger, and I think I want to stick to the older (pre-2000 or so) series. What's your favorite Sentai, and why?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Your Sledgehammer posted:

None of the characters are flat except maybe Tran.
Name aside, he was my favorite because he came up with the best MOTWs. I hated his final fate, but it was worth it for Radiguet's role.

Also, any recommendations for what I should watch next? ... What's your favorite Sentai, and why?
Kakuranger and Kakuranger.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Pre-2000? Go go Five seemed fun, but I haven't watched it all the way through.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
So, being the huge dork I am I gathered up all my random PR weapons and created this:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tweet that to JDF right now.

e: but keep it PG-13, his daughter Jenna reads these comments on her dad's pages, guys, come on, she's nine or whatever. Keep it clean yeaaaaa jdf

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 7, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

What's your favorite Sentai, and why?

Kakuranger. Ninjas + Yokai (fun to see modern takes on Japanese legends/mythology instead of stupid random objects being turned into monsters) + Great cast with distinct personalities + Great writing (for a Sentai) + As of a few weeks ago, all of it has been subbed

Dr Tran posted:

Kakuranger and Kakuranger.

Yeah.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really really want official subs for Kakuranger, just so I can binge it and see firsthand the beauty of Jiraya :allears:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Solaris Knight posted:

I really really want official subs for Kakuranger, just so I can binge it and see firsthand the beauty of Jiraya :allears:

The fansubs are really, really good. Also, I too love Kane Kosugi.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

JT Smiley posted:

So, being the huge dork I am I gathered up all my random PR weapons and created this:

Bullshit.

That's the Sword of Thundara. You get out of here.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sockser posted:

Bullshit.

That's the Sword of Thundara. You get out of here.

Yeah I snuck a little easter egg in there just because.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just gonna toot my own horn one more time, if anyone is going to Motaku in Kansas City this weekend, I'm hosting a Power Rangers/Sentai fan panel Saturday at 5pm. Love to see a goon or two there.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Don't be afraid.of the fansubs of Kakuranger, the group that did them are very good.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The problem is that they're not very condusive to TV watching unless I got a Chromecast or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Solaris Knight posted:

The problem is that they're not very condusive to TV watching unless I got a Chromecast or something.

Do you have a Blu Ray player with a USB port? I watch a lot of my toku by sticking it on a flash drive and piping it through my player.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

My only Blu Ray player is a Playstation 3.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Solaris Knight posted:

My only Blu Ray player is a Playstation 3.

I think that may work...I can't test it though...my PS3 was stolen.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think it depends on the codec the episodes are done in, for whether your PS3 will play it or not. But I'm pretty sure there's some streaming stuff for the same, if that's really your bag.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think it depends on the codec the episodes are done in, for whether your PS3 will play it or not. But I'm pretty sure there's some streaming stuff for the same, if that's really your bag.

I tend to use Yotuube for watching sentai mostly because my computer is all kinds of janky. I keep meaning to fix it but I always need it for something. (The same reason I'm not on Podcasters With Attitude: the Power Rangers review podcast)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I think I figured out ToQger's gimmick today, what the reasoning for the non-sensical colour transfer is; it is exactly how children play Power Rangers.

:v: No fair, I wanna use the sword!
:crossarms: You can't, only Red Ranger uses the sword.
:v: Then I'm gonna be the Red Ranger!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm really starting to suspect that the whole amnesia plot on that show will end up with them all being children in adult bodies.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's been the prevailing theory through the first (couple of?) episodes. Nothing we've been shown really refutes it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the show may just leave the whole thing unanswered. Like, we'll find out more about their town for sure, but I'm not certain whether if they are still kids or not will actually be explored.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If anyone is still waiting for Linkara's History of Power Rangers, here's the schedule so far.

Operation Overdrive: August 21st 2014
Jungle Fury: Christmas Day 2014
RPM: March 19th, 2015
Samurai, Megaforce, Dino Charge: TBD

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

If anyone is still waiting for Linkara's History of Power Rangers, here's the schedule so far.

Operation Overdrive: August 21st 2014
Jungle Fury: Christmas Day 2014
RPM: March 19th, 2015
Samurai, Megaforce, Dino Charge: TBD

What's hilarious about that series is at the beginning how fast he was cranking them out, back when seasons had like 60+ episodes, and then as the series goes on and seasons get shorter and shorter, and episodes themselves get shorter and shorter, and video feeds of the epiodes become more and more accessible, it takes him longer and longer and longer to do episodes, and every episode he makes is longer than the last, to the point where he's just full out doing a synopsis of every individual episode.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

What's hilarious about that series is at the beginning how fast he was cranking them out, back when seasons had like 60+ episodes, and then as the series goes on and seasons get shorter and shorter, and episodes themselves get shorter and shorter, and video feeds of the epiodes become more and more accessible, it takes him longer and longer and longer to do episodes, and every episode he makes is longer than the last, to the point where he's just full out doing a synopsis of every individual episode.

That's effectively been part of the problem itself, as he admitted in one of the opening rants/expositions (think it was for Time Force? Maybe Wild Force), since he's long past the point where he actually knows what is/isn't important in a given series' plot, and so actually has to pay more attention. This also probably means he's not so sure later on of what he can excise in his summaries, and its easier for him to collect his thoughts and his opinions if he knows more what he's actually gone over.

Mind you, having such long gaps probably doesn't help. Not only because it gives people more chance and more reason to nag at him, making it more undesirable to do, but also then he has to go through more effort to double check everything, since he may have forgotten things about the given series in the interim. Which when you then consider the sheer length of power rangers compared to most shows (its telling how a roughly twenty episode limit by Nick causes a schedule and production nightmare for PR, but would actually not affect other shows by all that much), just causes the pile of work to increase, even if technically the material decreases in length.

Reminds me though, I really need to go rewatching some series myself. Considered marathoning things with friends for the nostalgia and riffing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand the idea that he's past the point where he knows what is or isn't important to the plot and needs to be covered. He is, theoretically, a critic, and he just watched it. After you watch a show, you should pretty much well know what was or wasn't important. You just watched it. You're the critic, what did YOU think was important or stuck out?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

I don't understand the idea that he's past the point where he knows what is or isn't important to the plot and needs to be covered. He is, theoretically, a critic, and he just watched it. After you watch a show, you should pretty much well know what was or wasn't important. You just watched it. You're the critic, what did YOU think was important or stuck out?

That was meant in reference to the older power rangers series he grew up with, and thus, knew when and where he could breeze through things - skipping filler - and has had years to mull over the details. With say, Mystic Force, he's gotta pay attention to everything in more detail because its not had the chance to sink in with him at all, which then makes later assessment of material more important. Plus, well, when you watch it in broken up chunks, you can end up forgetting details in the gaps, which is partly why (along with making sure his reactions are genuine and not just initial impressions) Linkara admits to watching a series twice over before finishing up an overview. Then again, his apparent disgust with Operation Overdrive might make him to remember details, if not for the right reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Operation Overdrive is like, imagine if instead of one main villain, you have five of them. And each of them has two generals. And every single one of these villains is Elgar.