Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Zimmy must have a pretty terrible aversion to the sea. I know most people, even those prone to seasickness, don't have as much trouble with giant cruise ships. They're so big, and typically have giant stabilizers, that it's more like just being in a building than on a boat.

Water does weird things with etheric power, doesn't it? That's how the court was using it to do etheric experiments and duplicating the effect gamma has on Zimmy on a grand scale. So being on the water with a head full of etheric energy probably makes you feel wonky, and apparently not in a cool :catdrugs: way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
i thought it was that water, at least in some places, absorbed ether/energy and when it rained it helped block out the signals going into/coming out of zimmy. i could have sworn i remember reading in one of the chapters about how it had to be natural rain, showers didn't work, and that when the court had sucked all the ether energy out of the water and created a rainfall it didn't work on zimmy, leading to the events starting here

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Yup, in Dobranoc, Gamma we see that rain is soothing to Zimmy for some reason. Then, in Power Station we find out the the court is doing something with rain, but for whatever reason it doesn't work on Zimmy. Finally, in Spring Heeled, Part 2 we learn that it's the ether in that rain that's soothing and that the court is now able to replicate the effect.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Maybe she is just seasick.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

HoboNews posted:

Maybe she is just seasick.

she's allergic to all that fresh sea air and sunshine

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

None of them seem to have packed sunglasses and my eyes are smarting in sympathy.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Warmachine posted:

Let me be the first to say that I don't want to see what it looks like when Zimmy loses her lunch.
One word: Spiders.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks Internet posted:

Yup, in Dobranoc, Gamma we see that rain is soothing to Zimmy for some reason. Then, in Power Station we find out the the court is doing something with rain, but for whatever reason it doesn't work on Zimmy. Finally, in Spring Heeled, Part 2 we learn that it's the ether in that rain that's soothing and that the court is now able to replicate the effect.
I don't think they're able to replicate the effect, since they had to release the ether back into the air.

What they were able to replicate seems to be what Zimmy does, absorb the ether out of the air/rain.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Zemyla posted:

One word: Spiders.

:gonk:

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Thanks Internet posted:

from that last link, "further stress on zimmy's mind, or even distance from gamma, can lead to distortions that present themselves in the physical world"

zimmy aint looking too relaxed in that second panel today, they're gonna land somewhere bad.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Somebody will get her some motion sickness pills and everything will be just fine.

Right? :ohdear:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cernunnos posted:

Somebody will get her some motion sickness pills and everything will be just fine.

Right? :ohdear:

I hope not. I love Zimmy chapters. I'm hoping this boat is on a one way trip to crazy brainspider town, and anyone without plot armor is expendable. :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BobTheJanitor posted:

I hope not. I love Zimmy chapters. I'm hoping this boat is on a one way trip to crazy brainspider town, and anyone without plot armor is expendable. :getin:

But crazy brainspider town was a terrible place :negative:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If there's one thing that will solve all problems, it's giving Zimmy drugs.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wittgen posted:

If there's one thing that will solve all problems, it's giving Zimmy drugs.

I could see two possible outcomes there. Either her normal perception of reality is already so far beyond the horizon that she can't even tell the difference, or it causes a sort of breakdown that leads directly into some straight up biblical end-of-the-world bleeding eyeballs with teeth everywhere scenario.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BobTheJanitor posted:

i don't think gunnerkrigg really does "expendable characters"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tollymain posted:

What, Hetty doesn't exist now?

Haha yeah she totally doesn't!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
And then it all turned out to be a dream she turned out to be a tree.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Poor Gamma...she looks so stoked to be on the boat, but she's stuck in Zimmy's broom closet of :barf:.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tollymain posted:

SIIIIIIIIGH

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hetty wasn't expendable

she lives on in my heart :'(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Alister was pretty expendable, too. Insofar as he was a "one and done" type of character. Though his character arc made sense the whole way through, and the revelation in the end informed on his actions during the first couple of pages. Also it fueled a bunch of "Kat is into birds" jokes when she and Paz started hooking up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think his point was that whilst Gunnerkrigg has one-off characters, it doesn't have generic redshirts.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I think his point was that whilst Gunnerkrigg has one-off characters, it doesn't have generic redshirts.

That's fine. The rest of the chapter can be devoted to developing the expendable characters before suddenly killing them in a horrible way.

Works for Robert Kirkman!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Next time, on a very special GUNNERKRIGG COURT...

One of the students will be HORRIBLY KILLED

(my money's on Annie)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 9, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Nonsense. Somehow it will be Boxbot. (He'll fake his own death for attention.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackheart posted:

What, Hetty doesn't exist now?

Haha yeah she totally doesn't!

Hetty was not expendable.

She was edible. There's a difference. Learn your words.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Mazerunner posted:

(my money's on Annie)

My money is on Annie being the killer. Girl has issues.

It was Roxbot

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

(my money's on Annie)

This isn't some lame twist where we introduce a character only to kill them off.

A CHARACTER DIES THIS EPISODE.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Mazerunner posted:

(my money's on Annie)

hopefully it's jacks horrible beard that dies

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Hetty was not expendable.

She was edible. There's a difference. Learn your words.

Good point, although technically Hetty was the doll... unless the murder shrimp

WAS ALSO NAMED HETTY!?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Blackheart posted:

Good point, although technically Hetty was the doll... unless the murder shrimp

WAS ALSO NAMED HETTY!?

Maybe "Hetty" was a nickname or some kind of variation on the shrimp-demon's name, kind of like "Reynardine" vs. "Renard."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Was it ever explained how the shrimp demon was also stuck in a toy that belonged to someone, thus being imposed to their will?

Because we know with Renard his body hoping was a god-tier power granted by Coyote, and it just happened to apply to anything with eyes.

Or do we just not bother asking because it was a chapter meant to explore how Renard could do a lot of bad things, but doesn't because he's nice.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Coyote's gift to Renard was a twisted version of his own power to turn his shape into other animals (or the moon). It's not really a god-tier power, just a power bestowed by a god. Hetty could've just had the ability naturally, or maybe it's just things monsters can do, or maybe she's secretly Coyote, etc etc. We know that weird things congregate at the Court more than elsewhere, so it's not super surprising that there's at least one other person who owned a murdertoy.

Tom will eventually be doing a retrospective about that chapter, so maybe your questions will be answered then. It probably doesn't matter to the overall narrative, though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

KittyEmpress posted:

Was it ever explained how the shrimp demon was also stuck in a toy that belonged to someone, thus being imposed to their will?

Because we know with Renard his body hoping was a god-tier power granted by Coyote, and it just happened to apply to anything with eyes.

Or do we just not bother asking because it was a chapter meant to explore how Renard could do a lot of bad things, but doesn't because he's nice.

We know that Hetty was bound to the doll via some sort of contract that her original owner made with her. Upon her original owner's "accidental death", Hetty was surprised to learn that she wasn't freed from her doll body. Afterward, she learned that the original owner had written in her diary that if anything happened to her, that the doll should go to her brother, which somehow was binding enough to transfer ownership to him, even though he had absolutely no clue about any of it. Thus, Hetty spent all of her time remotely torturing the poor boy, ramping it up further and further until she was about to kill him, which is when Reynard stepped in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Opposing Farce posted:

Maybe "Hetty" was a nickname or some kind of variation on the shrimp-demon's name, kind of like "Reynardine" vs. "Renard."

It was a reference to heterosexuality, once again proving this comic's bias against cis-heteronormativity. :colbert:

KittyEmpress posted:

Pretty much the later thing. It was more a chapter about Rey's past and how he reacted to a character who was essentially a dark mirror of himself, or a reminder of what he could be if he ever let himself go. Although it did have some interesting hints at the marks on their foreheads having some more important meaning than just being pretty decorations. But really I think the most important takeaway was that Eglamore and Reynard get together for movie marathons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if someone does the robot?

Wait, would that be offensive? :ohdear:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SynthOrange posted:

What if someone does the robot?

Wait, would that be offensive? :ohdear:
Reply - Hey, man. That's our dance.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It's a deliberate ruling to ensure Boxbot cannot win by forcing him to fall back on the Hand Jive. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
A different font for every line of text. Truly Tom knows the ways of school event posters.