Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Penny Dreadful is like a really good show and a really bad show smashed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Penny Dreadful is like a really good show and a really bad show smashed together.

Yeah, pretty much. It's a really fun show for sure.

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, current hospital show? I loved ER, House and quite enjoyed that short-lived Monday Mornings joint with Lee Adama and Alfred Molina, but would like something that's basically the opposite of Private Practice where the medical stuff takes a backseat to the doctors banging each other. I like the parts of Nurse Jackie where she's actually being a nurse too, but that's kind of fallen by the wayside on that show.

Is Chicago Hope any good? Is there some British or Australian analog to ER that I've missed?

I'm a little late with this, but have you tried The Night Shift on NBC? It's a little cliche, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it- it's a Texas soldier version of ER. The lead (Eoin Macken) sometimes fails to keep an American accent when he gets all worked up, but the acting is solid and it's really just an all around fun show.

I've also been binging (can 9 episodes be a binge?) on In the Flesh from the BBC. It's a three episode first season, and six episode second season zombie show that's not really about zombies. There are zombies, yes, but the show is about what happens after they find a cure for the zombie-ism and all the Partially Deceased Syndrome (PDS) sufferers go home. I hope like hell that they get picked up for a third season because BBC3 might get canned, and along with it, all its shows.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I've also been binging (can 9 episodes be a binge?) on In the Flesh from the BBC. It's a three episode first season, and six episode second season zombie show that's not really about zombies. There are zombies, yes, but the show is about what happens after they find a cure for the zombie-ism and all the Partially Deceased Syndrome (PDS) sufferers go home. I hope like hell that they get picked up for a third season because BBC3 might get canned, and along with it, all its shows.

In The Flesh is pretty great, as is The Returned. It's kind of amazing that there's still novelty to be found in zombies, but both of those shows are doing interesting things with it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I have never had a premium cable channel before, but I got sick of my brother telling how great it was to see Lena Dunham naked all the time, so I spent a week in cable company telephone support hell getting HBO added to my account so I could access HBO GO.

Started with Game of Thrones: Before I started watching, everything I knew about Game of Thrones I learned from the South Park episode, so I was surprised to find that the show wasn't wall-to-wall dongs. I'm not big into Fantasy, although I liked the LOTR movies. Really surprised by the scope of Game of Thrones, and I think it does a really effective job of conveying each faction's motivations and tribal pride and whatnot. Makes the different groups feel more real to me than the LOTR films did. And it delivers holy poo poo moments just as frequently and effectively as Breaking Bad. But OMFG the Reek story arc, WTF.

Next was True Detective: Really fascinating. I've always loved McConaughey but this really helped me fully appreciate Harrelson. The final episode was full of memorable images, both disturbing and touching. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Currently watching The Newsroom: I tend to have a very technical appreciation of all of the arts (often the way things are said is more important to me than what is actually said), and I just love the language used in this show. I used to have absolutely zero opinion on Jeff Daniels, but I think he was amazing in this show, and now I'm wondering what performances of his I've missed. I'm only three episodes into the second season, and I don't know what to think about Olivia Munn... is she a good actress? I love her character, but sometimes I get the feeling it's despite her performance. Still trying to figure out what's rubbing me wrong here.

Not sure what I'll watch next. I might have to at least try Girls out to get my brother to shut up about it.

BTW: I have watched Sopranos, The Wire, and most of Six Feet Under on DVD, but don't think I've seen anything else in the HBO GO catalog.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 30, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently going through season one of The Almighty Johnsons. I saw it mentioned in the TV chat thread and thought it sounded interesting.

Basically it's about Norse gods reborn in New Zealand and they have a quest to get their powers back. It reminds me in tone of Misfits and so far I'm digging it. Hopefully it stays good because so far it's a bit corny but intriguing.

Radiapathy posted:

... I used to have absolutely zero opinion on Jeff Daniels, but I think he was amazing in this show, and now I'm wondering what performances of his I've missed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcVJMvVWDA&t=49s

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 31, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Radiapathy posted:

I have never had a premium cable channel before, but I got sick of my brother telling how great it was to see Lena Dunham naked all the time, so I spent a week in cable company telephone support hell getting HBO added to my account so I could access HBO GO.

Started with Game of Thrones: Before I started watching, everything I knew about Game of Thrones I learned from the South Park episode, so I was surprised to find that the show wasn't wall-to-wall dongs. I'm not big into Fantasy, although I liked the LOTR movies. Really surprised by the scope of Game of Thrones, and I think it does a really effective job of conveying each faction's motivations and tribal pride and whatnot. Makes the different groups feel more real to me than the LOTR films did. And it delivers holy poo poo moments just as frequently and effectively as Breaking Bad. But OMFG the Reek story arc, WTF.

Next was True Detective: Really fascinating. I've always loved McConaughey but this really helped me fully appreciate Harrelson. The final episode was full of memorable images, both disturbing and touching. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Currently watching The Newsroom: I tend to have a very technical appreciation of all of the arts (often the way things are said is more important to me than what is actually said), and I just love the language used in this show. I used to have absolutely zero opinion on Jeff Daniels, but I think he was amazing in this show, and now I'm wondering what performances of his I've missed. I'm only three episodes into the second season, and I don't know what to think about Olivia Munn... is she a good actress? I love her character, but sometimes I get the feeling it's despite her performance. Still trying to figure out what's rubbing me wrong here.

Not sure what I'll watch next. I might have to at least try Girls out to get my brother to shut up about it.

BTW: I have watched Sopranos, The Wire, and most of Six Feet Under on DVD, but don't think I've seen anything else in the HBO GO catalog.

Wtf is wrong with you and your brother for wanting to see Lena Dunham naked all the time?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been watching Spartacus on and off for the past few months. It's really good! I'm actually not much a fan of the excessive style of violence or the way too gratuitous sex scenes and yet the show is so entertaining that it consistently wins me over despite that.

I just finished the penultimate episode and am about to start the last one. The ending of that episode had me chanting "Crixus! Crixus! Crixus!" along with the crowd. :black101: Can't wait to see how horribly this all ends.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Your brother is the only person in America with this opinion. Although you should give her show a shot; it's very funny.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I finished the first two seasons of Hemlock Grove and goddamn this show is awesome. The first season is better just for the mindfuck finale. The second season is still very good and quite hosed up, but lacks that visceral punch. I am loving this show, every season answers old questions and then brings you new ones so that you never know what the gently caress is going on but you're hooked anyway. Kind of like True Blood but without all the SOOKEH! poo poo. It's less a love-triangle than an intense intersupernatural species bromance.

It's American Horror Story's little brother. Plenty of episodes concentrate more on characters than myth arcs, which makes every season take a few episodes to get into, but the finale never fails to bring it together in a totally hosed up way. The first season especially blew my mind.

I would give this show a solid A. Would watch, eagerly awaiting the next season.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

PostNouveau posted:

Your brother is the only person in America with this opinion. Although you should give her show a shot; it's very funny.

Sounds more like he's trolling than anything.

If you want comedy- I suggest watching Silicon Valley instead.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You bought HBO just for Girls?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'll second Silicon Valley. That poo poo's hilarious.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

CaptainHollywood posted:

I was just trying to start my post as uncomfortably as possible *just as planned, apparently* and I really got HBO to see the shows I already mentioned- in addition to Silicon Valley. I've only seen the first episode so far but I was a fan of most of the cast already, Mike Judge is a prophet and all that.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just binged the first season of Southland and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Does it stay good in the seasons filmed after the show moved from NBC to TNT?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ratatozsk posted:

Get back to us with your impressions about what follows his departure.

Well, I finsihed "Oz." Overall, it was enjoyable throughout, now commences the bitching.

The following things are dumb as poo poo:

- All the management keeping their jobs throughout the series. They should have been cleaned out after the riot in Season 1.
- All the support staff sticking around in Oz even though terrible poo poo keeps happening to them.
- Rebadow wins the lottery.
- Beecher getting paroled and then letting Keller drag him back in.
- Experimental aging serum so that we can just age the prisoners as many years as they'd be in Oz! :science:
- Rather than take a sufficient amount of time to wrap up all the long-running plotlines, the series finale introduces like 6 new plotlines.

Augustus Hill dying was the worst of both worlds, since the show lost him as a good character but then retained him as an awkward framing device. Having previously killed characters deliver the monologues didn't change much, as all the monologues sounded like they'd been written for Augustus anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Trig Discipline posted:

In The Flesh is pretty great, as is The Returned. It's kind of amazing that there's still novelty to be found in zombies, but both of those shows are doing interesting things with it.

Except in the second season it doubled down on the zombie mythology poo poo and no one cared.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I just started watching Arrow and I'm surprised by how good it is. The action scenes are decent, it borrows well from the DCU, and the story is progressing along pretty well. Plus, all the adults act like adults, which means all the obligatory relationship stuff moves quickly and tolerably.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I recently discovered that I get amazon instant as part of my amazon student account so I've started binge watching through the Sopranos for the first time ever.

I'm about 3 seasons in and hoooooooly poo poo this is incredible. I'm pretty upset I've never sat down and done this sooner

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodecalypse posted:

I recently discovered that I get amazon instant as part of my amazon student account so I've started binge watching through the Sopranos for the first time ever.

I'm about 3 seasons in and hoooooooly poo poo this is incredible. I'm pretty upset I've never sat down and done this sooner
Sopranos will probably be one of those timeless things. No harm in waiting, but the live-watch threads must have been nuts during the first run.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Except in the second season it doubled down on the zombie mythology poo poo and no one cared.

Yeah idgaf about that stuff either, but the rest of the show is pretty great.

Right now we are finishing up Fargo, and it is really, really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd give Stargate Atlantis a go. I'm just closing out the first half of season one with the two-part story where Evil Miles O'Brien sends Franz Sanchez to attack the city while it's mostly empty.

It's not bad so far; probably better than the first season of SG-1, since they had something to lean on with it. The guy who plays Sheppard looks kinda like David Duchovny, though, which I find a bit distracting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Having finished my rewatch of The Wire earlier this week, I feel pretty stupid for not noticing before now that the epigraph of the first episode of every season is pretty much the storyline of the season that follows.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought I'd give Stargate Atlantis a go. I'm just closing out the first half of season one with the two-part story where Evil Miles O'Brien sends Franz Sanchez to attack the city while it's mostly empty.

It's not bad so far; probably better than the first season of SG-1, since they had something to lean on with it. The guy who plays Sheppard looks kinda like David Duchovny, though, which I find a bit distracting.

Weir might be the squintiest character I've ever watched. She basically emotes by narrowing her eyes. Once you notice that, you can't unnotice it, like how in SG-1 General Hammond large, bald head makes him look like a baby. General Baby.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Fargo is really loving good if you're on the fence about it. It's got the humor and violence mix down very well, much like the movie. I've still got a few episodes left but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Having finished my rewatch of The Wire earlier this week, I feel pretty stupid for not noticing before now that the epigraph of the first episode of every season is pretty much the storyline of the season that follows.

Don't feel stupid. This is definitely one of those things that gets picked up on rewatch.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ariza posted:

Fargo is really loving good if you're on the fence about it. It's got the humor and violence mix down very well, much like the movie. I've still got a few episodes left but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Yes, everyone should definitely watch Fargo. The humor and violence keep up throughout the season. It also has a very satisfactory conclusion that isn't begging for another season.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Ariza posted:

Yes, everyone should definitely watch Fargo. The humor and violence keep up throughout the season. It also has a very satisfactory conclusion that isn't begging for another season.

Yeah, Fargo is really drat good and made even better by Key and Peele. And as good as the more well known members of the cast are (Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Bob Odenkirk), Allison Tolman loving nails her role. I had never seen her in anything before but I was pretty drat impressed.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm about 3 episodes away from finishing season 6 of Parks and Rec. Considering I watched it all in around a week, I really liked it. That being said, I feel like it went downhill since Pawnee and Eagleton merged, and Ann and Chris left.

And I loving hate Craig.

edit: I have since turned around on Craig. Craig is good.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 31, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Coffee And Pie posted:

And I loving hate Craig.
Craig + Jean Raplhio really works though. :peanut:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just saw the first episode of the series Fargo. Really drat enjoyable. Billy Bob's character is like Satan, just a little push or suggestion here and there and everything changes. It's amazing.

This is definitely a series I will watch the rest of. Knowing that Key & Peele would be in it was the impetus that got me started watching the show; but holy poo poo there are lots of recognizable faces in it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I've begun Rubicon, after hearing goons speak good of it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm about 3 episodes away from finishing season 6 of Parks and Rec. Considering I watched it all in around a week, I really liked it. That being said, I feel like it went downhill since Pawnee and Eagleton merged, and Ann and Chris left.

And I loving hate Craig.

Despite the up and down nature of the season - it ends quite strongly and has me anticipating the next (and more than likely final) season.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Drifter posted:

I just saw the first episode of the series Fargo. Really drat enjoyable. Billy Bob's character is like Satan, just a little push or suggestion here and there and everything changes. It's amazing.

This is definitely a series I will watch the rest of. Knowing that Key & Peele would be in it was the impetus that got me started watching the show; but holy poo poo there are lots of recognizable faces in it.

Like the other poster noted, the main girl is loving amazing in the show. Key and Peele are both great and their chemistry is perfect, as would be expected. I couldn't find any weak links in the cast. I'm still riding the wave of finally finding something newish that I really like and it's hard to shut up about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, Fargo's pretty loving great. It's just got this nice slow burn thing going on. It's not an exciting show at all, but it's interesting. I really enjoy it. Very well written. I'm not done, but I will be soon.

And holy loving poo poo the guy who played the Hobbit is SUCH a horrible, deprived character. A TERRIBLE human being. Hahaha. He's such an everyman gone bad. Dying is too good for this guy.

What fun. :allears:

Also, Billy Bob is such a good plot character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have three episodes of Penny Dreadful left, and then I have no shows to follow until everything comes back in the fall. I have Amazon Prime and Showtime (until this season of Masters of Sex ends and I cancel it again), and nothing else is interesting me.

I've seen and enjoyed most of the modern classics, but I either didn't like or don't think I would like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Friday Night Lights, or Battlestar Galactica.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have three episodes of Penny Dreadful left, and then I have no shows to follow until everything comes back in the fall. I have Amazon Prime and Showtime (until this season of Masters of Sex ends and I cancel it again), and nothing else is interesting me.

I've seen and enjoyed most of the modern classics, but I either didn't like or don't think I would like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Friday Night Lights, or Battlestar Galactica.

Give The Americans a shot. It's a great show. Really good acting and it's about deep-cover Russian spies in America.

You've probably already seen True Detective. My favorite show of the past year, definitely.

Terriers is a really good show, but it's not recent, although not many people I know have seen it.

Orange is the New Black is kinda lacking in the plotting, but is a pretty fun show.

Mad Men was pretty interesting. It got a bit much in the self pity direction, but I thought it was done really well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Knick started yesterday on Cinemax. All episodes directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars Clive Owen.

Outlander airs today on Starz. It's by Ronald D. Moore and the music is by Bear McCreary so there's a little BSG reunion going on.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Started watching Fargo and now 4 episodes in and loving it.
Seeing Martin Freeman in such a different role than Dr. Watson or Bilbo is awesome. He is a good actor. Loving Billy Bob Thorton the most currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Drifter posted:

Give The Americans a shot. It's a great show. Really good acting and it's about deep-cover Russian spies in America.

You've probably already seen True Detective. My favorite show of the past year, definitely.

Terriers is a really good show, but it's not recent, although not many people I know have seen it.

Orange is the New Black is kinda lacking in the plotting, but is a pretty fun show.

Mad Men was pretty interesting. It got a bit much in the self pity direction, but I thought it was done really well.

Terriers is fan-loving-tastic and there are quite a few Goons around that love it. I've seen it 3 times and still enjoy it; the chemistry between Michael Raymond-James and Donal Logue is what really makes the show but there are tons of great one liners and the script is pretty drat smart. It ends nicely too but I'm so angry there was only one season.

If you haven't seen the first season already, try Sleepy Hollow. Now THAT is a fun show, and the season finale is definitely :asoiaf:

If you didn't even try Friday Night Lights, give it a shot for a few episodes. I'm neither a fan of football nor angsty teenage drama but FNL is way more than that and I love it, and the performances are pretty drat good all around.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Knick started yesterday on Cinemax. All episodes directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars Clive Owen.

Outlander airs today on Starz. It's by Ronald D. Moore and the music is by Bear McCreary so there's a little BSG reunion going on.

The Knick looks interesting and I haven't even heard of Outlander until now but that looks good as well. And Bear McCreary always delivers so I'm definitely going to give that one a shot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 9, 2014