Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I don't think Tony meant to kill the kid, but now that he did if I know america enough a rich white guy will face little consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
229 new posts?, yeah someone's dead.

:stare:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RIP kid. :(

Yeah, Tony's going to jail. Thats involuntary manslaughter.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's...one of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen online. I don't see how Tony Stewart avoids jail time on this one...he revved the throttle to try to scare the kid. He (probably) didn't mean to do it, but he definitely killed a guy on the track and there is video proof of it. His career's got to be over - what sponsor is going to touch him after this?!

Also, gently caress Tony Stewart forever. I had no opinion of him prior to this, but this is simply inexcusable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
As of 3:00 AM EST:

"@jim_utter: NEWS: Sources close to Stewart say at this time, Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday's race at Watkins Glen International."

And apparently ESPN showed the video, lol.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In that video it appears all of the drivers went inside to avoid Ward.

Everyone but Stewart.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I've been awake for like 30 minutes, and it's weird to think this is a day that will go down in infamy as much - or more - than the 2001 Daytona 500.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, Earnhardt was a legend - I don't think this will be as infamous as the 2001 Daytona.

But this will absolutely be remembered forever. This is Stewart's lasting legacy - not even his championships will overshadow this day. It's pretty loving surreal - I wasn't on SA for that Daytona...but this, sheesh. NASCAR fans, for better or worse, welcome to the most mainstream news you'll get since that Daytona.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For some armchair lawyering, NY doesn't have an involuntary manslaughter charge, instead calling them 2nd and 1st degree. 2nd degree is listed as:

NY Penal Code 125.15 posted:

1. He recklessly causes the death of another person; or
2. He commits upon a female an abortional act which causes her death,
unless such abortional act is justifiable pursuant to subdivision three
of section 125.05; or
3. He intentionally causes or aids another person to commit suicide.

'Recklessly' is defined as:

NY Penal Code 15.05 posted:

...aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

Sentencing for 2nd degree manslaughter is 3-15 years. Aggravated 2nd degree is 7-20.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

For some armchair lawyering, NY doesn't have an involuntary manslaughter charge, instead calling them 2nd and 1st degree. 2nd degree is listed as:

'Recklessly' is defined as:

Sentencing for 2nd degree manslaughter is 3-15 years. Aggravated 2nd degree is 7-20.

In other words he will not be charged with either of these because loving :laffo: if you think he's gonna do a day in prison.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There's clear video evidence of him running a 17 year old over and killing him. Considering the media backlash that's going to come in the next week, I don't see how NASCAR can ever recover if Tony Stewart doesn't do a day in prison and they let him continue to race.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
I'm envisioning another Ray Rice situation where B France comes down hard two months from now and suspends Tony from the paddock during a single practice session.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Tomorrow is going to be a total joy reading the opinions of people that know nothing about auto racing.

Lol like I'd loving do that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cubey posted:

In other words he will not be charged with either of these because loving :laffo: if you think he's gonna do a day in prison.
We will see, but I'm pretty confident you're wrong.

e: the more I think about it, the more I think you're prolly right and I'm wrong...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 10, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

We will see, but I'm pretty confident you're wrong.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong, if nothing comes of this it'd be really hosed up. More so than it already is, even.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

It's too hard to tell from that lovely video exactly what went down so to assume Tony was negligent or a criminal is just speculation until better video comes out.

The guy that got ran over was mostly to blame for putting himself in that situation to begin with. Who the gently caress walks out onto a track like that with a bunch of open wheel cars coming at you.

You speak logic, therefore you am dumb.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Oh, to be in NASCAR HQ right now...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously NASCAR HQ has to be fearing the shitstorm's that's about to be brought on them.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Just saw the footage on ESPN of all places. Jesus. :stare:

I picked a hell of a day to get into short oval races.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Tony Stewart: wanted for crimes in 2 countries

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Apparently Max Papis was flown in to Watkins Glen, so he might be in the 14 tomorrow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just reminding you that Jimmy Johnson never killed anyone.

He's far to boring for that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cubey posted:

Apparently Max Papis was flown in to Watkins Glen, so he might be in the 14 tomorrow.

He ran the NNS rookie meeting and was the Dillon's driver coach this weekend, so I think he was already there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Ordinaire posted:

Just saw the footage on ESPN of all places. Jesus.

Not to minimize the tragedy, but for future reference, ESPN is to sports what MTV is to music.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Not to minimize the tragedy, but for future reference, ESPN is to sports what MTV is to music.
Not really, ESPN shows sports occasionally.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Hey a NASCAR driver killed a guy! Let's jump to conclusions on his intent based on a lovely iphone video!

Up with pitchforks! Down with leica!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
The video clearly shows 2 important things.

1. Tony revving the engine.

2. TON STEWART RUNNING OVER A KID WITH A GODDAMN RACE CAR THAT HE IS DRIVING.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
ALL BLAME ON STEWART! NO BLAME ON KID GETTING OUT OF CAR AND ANGRILY APPROACHING RACE CARS WITH NOTORIOUSLY BAD GRIP!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

GunForumMeme posted:

ALL BLAME ON STEWART! NO BLAME ON KID GETTING OUT OF CAR AND ANGRILY APPROACHING RACE CARS WITH NOTORIOUSLY BAD GRIP!

Yeah sprint cars can go out of control easily when you mash the throttle and aim for someone.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GunForumMeme posted:

We shouldn't assign blame until we get more info! *places blame anyway*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I really do enjoy people who are saying 'Lets wait for the WHOLE STORY' like there is gonna be a loving black box recording to analyze.

There are two options:

a) Stewart saw him, tried to goose him, hosed up and killed him
b) Stewart was staring at his dick for 5 seconds for some reason and didnt see him until it was too late and killed him

But those are the two options. Either hes an idiot for being typical Tony Stewart hot-head, or he's an idiot for not paying attention. Either way he's an idiot and killed a kid.

Like I was a fan of his but hes a loving idiot a lot and poo poo I wasn't even that surprised when I saw the headline.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Cubey posted:

We shouldn't assign blame until we get more info! *places blame anyway*

There's a difference between blaming and pointing out stupidity.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GunForumMeme posted:

There's a difference between blaming and pointing out stupidity.

with a skirt that short she was just begging for it

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
According to the press conference video, Tony had left shortly after the incident and went back to Watkins Glen.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
like, I knew what to expect but I clicked the thread anyway

jesus christ y'all

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ok I just watched the video, I'm only gonna say this once cause I'm not loving arguing about this

when he nails the gas the rear of the car kicks left and the nose points to the outside wall, that's Tony steering and trying to get away from the kid

stagger and the rest of the setup of a sprint car means when you get on the throttle the car turns left, rear would kick to the right

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
What would happen if at caution speed, you tried to spin the car out by turning the wheel left or right, like you would in a standard racecar?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CactusWeasle posted:

What would happen if at caution speed, you tried to spin the car out by turning the wheel left or right, like you would in a standard racecar?

they weren't at caution speed it was the next lap and you can't tell when the yellow got thrown

anyone ever been to Canadaguia at night in the cockpit at speed and have someone run at ya? bet it's hard to see!

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

ok I just watched the video, I'm only gonna say this once cause I'm not loving arguing about this

when he nails the gas the rear of the car kicks left and the nose points to the outside wall, that's Tony steering and trying to get away from the kid

stagger and the rest of the setup of a sprint car means when you get on the throttle the car turns left, rear would kick to the right

Welcome Viking to my last 4 hours or so.

No charges have been brought up, as far as I'm concerned no charges WILL be brought up. I'm fairly confident that any sanctioning body has a rule-book and in that rule-book there will be a rule to NOT attempt to engage with other drivers on track under any circumstances, with ANOTHER rule stating that you are to stay inside your car with all safety equipment on until Safety Crews can assist you, unless your car is on fire or otherwise dangerous.

So just to kill that whole logic off of murder charges or vehicular manslaughter or any of that, the other driver broke two rules of the sanctioning body. I feel horrible for that driver, mind you. He isn't as stupid as I think people are trying to make him out to be. This shouldn't have happened to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Holy poo poo, a horrifying example of an Onion article coming true.

I didn't like Tony Stewart for just this reason; he doesn't seem to have any problem running his racecar into other people when he feels like it. I don't think he meant to hit him, but it sure seems that he purposely hit the throttle. Threatening/hitting an unprotected human being is a surprising escalation, but does anyone who has watched him race really think that this was out of character for him?

E: I'll talk less out of my rear end now: Maybe he didn't even intentionally burp the throttle and this is one incident isn't his fault at all. He's going to have a really tough time convincing a lot of people of it because he's Tony Stewart, and that is the kind of dumb, emotionally over-reactive poo poo he's known for doing.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread