Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
They could just make the whole body of both males and females have a random size....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Locus posted:

I've only seen videos, but ... how murdery/torturey do you guys think this game going to end up like?

The game handles mounting body parts onto a wooden pole and then lighting the thing on fire more tastefully than one might expect. For now the horror aspect of the game is subverted when ever you dismember a corpse and two heads and three arms suddenly appear out of thin air and go rolling down the shore and into the sea.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

They could just make the whole body of both males and females have a random size....
I want to be chased by a morbidly obese cannibal, TIA Endnight.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

lmbo I love this developer.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Update 0.05 is out.

• New craftable item added: Bow (Stick plus cloth plus rope)
  • New craftable item added : Arrows (Stick plus 5 feathers)
  • New craftable item added: Fire torch (Cloth plus Stick)
  • New craftable item added : Medicine (Aloe plant plus Marigold flower)
  • Fixed staircase built scale being different from ghost scale
  • Fixed hunting shelter built scale being different from ghost scale
  • Fixed enemies not playing correct death animation
  • Enemies no longer get stuck jumping down from trees
  • Enemies will dodge around close trees more often, less instances of getting stuck on trunks
  • Fixed(removed) weirdly shaped weeds
  • Fixed rusty axe duplication bug
  • Fixed yellow axe not appearing in inventory
  • Lower sound effect tree breaking notification
  • Fixed bug where you could throw multiple tennis balls at once
  • Added support for more resolutions
  • Parry no longer affects burn/poison and other damage to player
  • Carry log animation added to player
  • Improved enemy collision detection with built walls and structures
  • Enemy vision is now properly blocked by player built structures
  • ‘check bloody arms’ animation can be cancelled by other actions more reliably
  • Fixed enemies sometimes getting stuck and walking backwards forever
  • New 3d models added, first class passengers * 2
  • Fixed rope not appearing in inventory when collected
  • Added new female texture and hair variations
  • Fixed glitch in cave where players could fall through ground
  • New cave prop added : Mining hat with light
  • Fixed some pathfinding issues in animals and mutants
  • Fixed lit fires blocking enemy vision causing weird AI behaviour
  • Enemies should set themselves on fire less often
  • Fixed an issue where enemies would get stuck on spot while climbing trees
  • Fixed counter attacks of cannibals sometimes not registering
  • Fixed missing turtles on main beach
  • Fixed enemies getting stuck in trees
  • Fixed enemies freezing upright after being shot with flare gun or burnt
  • Batteries can now be used to restore charge in flashlight and lowered torch battery drain speed to half
  • Stick holder now holds 20 sticks!
  • New cannibal village art added: Blankets, drying racks
  • Rabbits and lizards will navigate around trees and rocks better
  • Distorted mutants can now be killed with flare gun/fire
  • Improved bloom
  • Adaptive photographic tonemapper added
  • Fires now drain slightly faster
  • Improved sunlight settings
  • Motion blur now takes into account HDR
  • Improved foliage lighting
  • Improved water shader, more refraction as depth increases, more accurate sky reflections
  • Raised player fire damage amount
  • Rope pick ups added to some cannibal villages
  • Pedometer now shows outside temperature
  • Logs should no longer fall through rocks
  • Fixed plane seats vanishing on loading save game
  • Made feathers brighter, made batteries brighter (easier to see in inventory)
  • You can now carry 3 dead rabbits and 3 dead lizards (instead of 1 each)
  • Fixed plane crash crazy motion blur bug
  • Marigold and AloeVera now get stored in backpack when picked up
  • Texture resolution option added to options menu (start screen options menu only) Try lowering this to improve memory on lower ram systems and improve performance on lower end cards.
  • Fixed issues with taking bombs from inventory
  • Birds now spawn feathers when killed
  • Day counter now starts at 0 from when you first wake up in plane
  • Improved cave items/layout and lighting
  • Fixed lizards & birds vanishing when close to edge of screen
  • Rainbow will be forced off now if night time
  • Enemies will now push past bloody table instead of getting stuck
  • Improved look of dead
  • Fixed some missing sound effects, improved night time sound effects

I hope the crafting gets more depth added to it later. One of the things that I really like about this game is that they go against most survival-crafting game tropes, but stick + cloth + rope = bow is far too familiar territory.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
No titty updates, not interested.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

• Added new female texture and hair variations

Uh, yeah. I'm betting only some of those variations are anywhere near fully clothed and killing naked women with an axe is creepy as gently caress.

edit: Not to say that clothed women are much better when you get down to it.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Just bought this, and knew well enough to run the gently caress away from the plane. I made a shelter, and started gathering-- until I saw I was near a camp, with three nude men standing in the distance. I abandoned the area, and hoofed it for the beach. I found a nice little place near a thicket of trees at the edge of the forest, and decided to start building a log cabin. I keep an eye out, and just peacefully built my cabin, but slowly I had to travel further away from the half built cabin to get more logs. I'd become annoyed with the log system, and just started farming lizard skins and rocks. I grabbed a log, and took the trek back.

Four nude figures were walking away from my cabin, and I ducked towards the beach till I knew they'd gone. They must know now, they must recognize the building and tree stumps around the area. I calmed down enough to see there were more rocks scattered at the back of my half erected structure. It was strange to me, since there weren't any rocks in the clearing before, so I took a closer look.

There weren't any rocks. They had scattered over a dozen skulls at the back of the cabin.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Housewarming gift.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

ravenkult posted:

Housewarming gift.

I was actually kind of hoping they'd left me stones as a gift for not being a dick to them, but then they came back, and I took down two of them. I cut off one of the body's heads, and the majority of them ran off, but then three came at me and took me down. There is nothing more unsettling than having night fall, getting ready to light a fire, and then just seeing a single flashlight beam coming right at you. I alt-F4'd before the caves because I'm not ready for that yet.

I should mention, I'm someone who's easily startled, so horror can be a trial for me.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Just bought this, and knew well enough to run the gently caress away from the plane. I made a shelter, and started gathering-- until I saw I was near a camp, with three nude men standing in the distance. I abandoned the area, and hoofed it for the beach. I found a nice little place near a thicket of trees at the edge of the forest, and decided to start building a log cabin. I keep an eye out, and just peacefully built my cabin, but slowly I had to travel further away from the half built cabin to get more logs. I'd become annoyed with the log system, and just started farming lizard skins and rocks. I grabbed a log, and took the trek back.

Four nude figures were walking away from my cabin, and I ducked towards the beach till I knew they'd gone. They must know now, they must recognize the building and tree stumps around the area. I calmed down enough to see there were more rocks scattered at the back of my half erected structure. It was strange to me, since there weren't any rocks in the clearing before, so I took a closer look.

There weren't any rocks. They had scattered over a dozen skulls at the back of the cabin.

Y'know, once you get past all the titcode, this right here is what this game's all about. That's awesome.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

How is the building and surviving aspect of this game? I love the idea of SimLogCabin more than Zombie Defeater LXVIII. Is it more about combat or can you also just set up a nice place in the woods for yourself? I'm imagining something vaguely like Harvest Moon + Left 4 Dead, is that about right?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I have largely given up on the game because those savages or whatever are everywhere and they always track me down. I would prefer it if I could keep away from them for at least a little while, but the map ain't that big at this point. Right now they basically track me down anywhere within the same day.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

ravenkult posted:

I have largely given up on the game because those savages or whatever are everywhere and they always track me down. I would prefer it if I could keep away from them for at least a little while, but the map ain't that big at this point. Right now they basically track me down anywhere within the same day.

I just use veganmode and don't deal with them for the moment since if they're afraid of fire and there's someone who surrounds himself with fire and occasionally incinerates anyone who's acting sufficiently threatening, they'd back the gently caress off. But they don't so gently caress dealing with them for now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1337JiveTurkey posted:

edit: Not to say that clothed women are much better when you get down to it.

Better to only kill clothed men.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Mayakashi posted:

I tried starting twice and both times I ran into cannibals right outside the plane. The first time they just mobbed me and beat me unconscious and then I woke up in a cave, surrounded by more cannibals who beat me to death. The second time I booked it into the forest but they seemed to still be chasing me like 5 minutes later, so I turned to fight them and there was more beating/cave/death.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'd like to craft something but I can't even cut down a tree with these guys hitting me with clubs all the time.

Have you tried Use-> Axe -> Cannibal?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

I would say that the game should hold off on the cannibals till a few days in, in order to draw out the suspense. The game is showing its cards a little too early, and with the ways they can interact with the player, i.e. the skull littering, there could be more of a slow build. In the alpha, I can see why they've got them coming out immediately, since it's a bit of a proof of concept with the gameplay. The challenge at first should be survival against the elements, but then start building to the feeling that there's more out in the world than just lizards and log cabins.

If one of the themes is that you're an outsider disrupting the cannibal's pre-existing society, maybe even just limiting the encounters to an easy mode situation at the outset. After all, it would be more affecting if one cannibal investigated, and it's up to the player to threaten/murder them. If the player takes hostile action, then they should start gunning for you, otherwise the slow build could continue. After all, I'd be way more worried if I was just seeing things move between trees a lot longer than a murder gang immediately coming for you.

They should play their food before they eat it, if they want us to have a Lost/I Am Legend feel.

Edit: I understand the use of nudity as a way to add a mix of sexual imagery to the horror, which is valid, but there needs to be giant swinging dicks and maybe an option to play a mother character since video games really, really need to get a handle on gender politics.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
If it were up to me I'd just leave out all the spooky stuff until the beta or something. Make everyone believe they're just playing a nice peaceful survival game and then BLAM.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

If it were up to me I'd just leave out all the spooky stuff until the beta or something. Make everyone believe they're just playing a nice peaceful survival game and then BLAM.
Pretty sure most gamers hate bait and switches. Remember MGS2?

But I do agree that if the females are going to be mostly naked the men ought to be too. Don't think there'd be a :stonk: big enough for how I'd react to a guy with a raging hardon trying to beat me to death.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Pretty sure most gamers hate bait and switches. Remember MGS2?

You mean one of the most successful games ever? Also if you want guys with big dongs beating you to death this is a thing that happens in Rust

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Edit: I understand the use of nudity as a way to add a mix of sexual imagery to the horror, which is valid, but there needs to be giant swinging dicks and maybe an option to play a mother character since video games really, really need to get a handle on gender politics.

Keep that poo poo out of this thread. Its a valid argument that can be made somewhere else completely. This is a thread for The Forest, not for gender politics or anything else.

On the game front I've noticed that all my cannibals are spawning naked, only becoming clothed once killed. Also I tried to build a house boat but the blueprint stuck to the bottom of the ocean and a shark ate me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You mean one of the most successful games ever? Also if you want guys with big dongs beating you to death this is a thing that happens in Rust

I think MGS2 was so successful mostly by riding on the popularity of Metal Gear Solid and its really good advertising and preview campaign, rather than being brilliant artwork. Because that game is goofy as poo poo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just can't wait until this guy reviews The Forest.

"Day Z: Anthropological Study"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyBPp6TFx54

"Rust: Anthropological Study"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaZlupjsa4g

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Ever since the last patch, cannibals have randomly been changing clothes while I look at them. They're naked, then I hit them with an axe, then they're clothed, then they die and they're naked again. What a surreal glitch.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think MGS2 was so successful mostly by riding on the popularity of Metal Gear Solid and its really good advertising and preview campaign, rather than being brilliant artwork. Because that game is goofy as poo poo.

Yeah I'm glad they took the Metal Gear series back to its non-goofy roots in the next game with a man made of bees.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solomonic posted:

Yeah I'm glad they took the Metal Gear series back to its non-goofy roots in the next game with a man made of bees.

MGS3 didn't have the multi-layer meta plot, or a point where you end up running around the jungle totally naked while your support crew freaks out at you because they're glitchy AI. All the games starting with Sons of Liberty are goofy as poo poo and I can never take them seriously, but at least MGS3 had more and better gameplay and a less convoluted meaning to the plot.

MGS2 is something Kojima must have made during a fever dream.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
This is a pretty sweet rear end game and is in much better state than most alphas. It can be very very spooky. Especially the first time you go into the caves. They took a lot of inspiration from Neil Marshall's "The Descent" That should sell it to you right away. Someone made a mod that removes all the mutants and that sounds like a lot of fun to me.

If this is your type of game I would say to jump on the alpha. It can be a bit fiddly though and the optimization seems to need some work on my system. I am hanging on a few updates to get back into it. But the core game is solid.

I can see this being a goon favorite.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

I just can't wait until this guy reviews The Forest.

"Day Z: Anthropological Study"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyBPp6TFx54

"Rust: Anthropological Study"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaZlupjsa4g

It seems like he only does multiplayer games though. The Forest desperately needs multiplayer.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Update 0.06 is out.

quote:

• A.I. – New tribe type added – starving cannibal! Will eat fallen comrades
  • A.I. – Different tribes will now interact with each other, hunting, stalking, killing and eating each other
  • Shadows Improved! Fisheye shadow distortion gives higher resolution shadow up close and now uses a single cascade (experimental, maybe cause some glitches)
  • 2 New cave systems added near geese lake
  • Fixed missing light on crafted torch
  • Real caustics added to water
  • Lighting effigies uses the lighter correctly now
  • Fixed issue where cannibals could get stuck after being knocked down
  • Creepy mutants and animals no longer get stuck in noose trap spinning forever
  • Improved look of noose trap when sprung but empty
  • All traps can be reset
  • Player will set off traps if he touches trigger
  • 5x new plant types added
  • Fixed (Unity fix) issue where grass would cause slight framerate hicks
  • Hint to NVIDIA driver that it should use the discrete GPU in Optimus chipsets. (Unity fix – should help laptop performance)
  • Added press space to skip tutorial to opening plane crash
  • Fixed bug where arrows could get stuck in sky above fires
  • Fixed rockpit floating slightly above terrain
  • Moving forward, crouching, jumping or pressing e will make player stand up if sitting on bench
  • Better bench model
  • Fresnel effect applied to specular and fixed specular leak around backside of objects
  • New props added: washed up packages and shipping containers
  • New prop added : Orange tent
  • New improved opening plane crash sound effects
  • Fixed marigold and dead rabbits overlapping in inventory
  • Improved plane interior textures and resolution
  • Added icon to remove ghost structures, fixed issue where add icon could sometimes stay on screen after removing ghost. Limited ghost removal to only if no resources have been added. New crunch sound effect for when removing ghost structures
  • wall built can now be destroyed by hitting it with axe, giving you back resources
  • musical sting added to player waking up on plane
  • Improved terrain spec and (finally) fixed water accumulation when raining, added new sharp rock terrain texture to under lakes
  • Improved pond water distance settings
  • Crafting: Fixed issue where you could remove feathers before crafting arrows and still craft the arrows. Fixed issue where you could sometimes not craft items depending on order of items placed. Adding an item to a craft that isn’t needed will stop you from crafting until it’s removed again. Fixed bug where you could lose medicine by crafting the same item multiple times
  • Lots of collision issues fixed in caves
  • Improved cave lighting! Better looking settings for skull lights and less light popping on/off
  • Sped up rabbits
  • Lowered brightness of click to place buttons in survival book
  • You can now save your game at a shelter without sleeping
  • Fixed bug where coins could vanish after adding them to a craftable item
  • Fixed bug where day counter wouldn’t increase correctly
  • Fixed bug where crickets would continue to play during the day
  • Fixed issue where cave sounds would sometimes vanish when walking between connecting caves
  • More combat balance and a tweak on weapon settings
  • Performance and memory improvements

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The patches look really encouraging to me, my impulse buyer guilt has been slowly but steadily dropping.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Still no fix for Molotovs dropping when being unequipped?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just bought this on a whim a few days ago, and it seems pretty sweet. After this last patch, I started a new game. By dusk on the second day I have killed nearly a dozen naked cannibal ladies around the hill top I am slowly building on. Through out the course of the day they show up one or two at a time, so after I pick up some logs to head to base they're just standing there staring at me. They also seem to die much more quickly, with only two hits needed. Should I be concerned about a horde of angry hungry cannibals showing up one day for vengeance and dinner?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NeurosisHead posted:

I just bought this on a whim a few days ago, and it seems pretty sweet. After this last patch, I started a new game. By dusk on the second day I have killed nearly a dozen naked cannibal ladies around the hill top I am slowly building on. Through out the course of the day they show up one or two at a time, so after I pick up some logs to head to base they're just standing there staring at me. They also seem to die much more quickly, with only two hits needed. Should I be concerned about a horde of angry hungry cannibals showing up one day for vengeance and dinner?

Absolutely.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Finally traps will be useful.

Does everything still cost an insane amount of logs to craft?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Cannibals are weird. Some will just come barreling out of the forest chasing after nothing and then run off again, others casually walk by and don't seem to notice much.

Also I built on an island so I'm apparently invincible.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So i decided to see how the game was, it has been a few releases since I played. A couple months back a release came out where the optimization was bad enough that my very decent computer was chugging and textures weren't right.

The game runs fine now, when it does, aside from some extant bugs that are still there from .01.

That said, occasionally my screen goes black. It goes black, and it stays that way, but I can still access the escape menu, and changing resolutions (even say, 720p to 1600x900 fixes it for a time.

The water is also extrmely hosed up and I see scrolling textures for trees and mountains instead of water.

Any solution to this? I verified cache, checked my drivers, and the last stop would be to make sure visual c++ is okay. if that doesn't fix it i have no goddamn idea whats happening. I've fiddled with every setting I could.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now that it's apparently a bit better optimized, I'm reinstalling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Update: still suck at combat. Got ambushed before the first nightfall and stumbled into a mutant trying to leave the caves.

Also, minor update:

quote:

New spawning system for enemies, better world population, better pacing and progression over time
A.i has more chance to venture to expected areas (ie cannibal villages)
Optimized sky light occlusion performance
Fixed fog showing through ocean water
Improved ssao!
New camping prop added
Fixed birds getting faster and faster over time
Improved ocean sound effects
Improved Bow and arrow sound effects
Fixed yacht lod bug where it would vanish for some players
Added sound effects to timmy dragged away scene
New improved cave drips and cave wind sound effects
Fixed some dynamic objects flying up in air on spawning (boxes, suitcases)
Fixed bug where skinny enemies would switch to default shading when injured
Cave ambient track added
Enemy combat theme/suspense themes added (rough)
Lowered (4x) damage and speed of arms and legs when used as weapons
New first class passenger model added
Skinny woman made blood less shiny
Fixed bug with inventory light at night being too bright
Balance tweaks : Increased fall damage, lowered how much health meds heal you
Turtles can now be killed by repeatedly hitting shell (although hitting them in head is much quicker)
Fixed brightness of standing fire (same as regular fire now)
Fixed fire stick enemy too bright

Bolded my favorite.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Was the kid always named Timmy, or did they name him after pewdiepie's LP?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I got this a while ago, but only started playing it last night. My first attempt ended in about five minutes, but for my second attempt, my plane crash is right on the edge of a cliff, so I've been able to build a decent fortress that uses defensive walls and torches to funnel any of the mutants into chokepoints with traps on any angle of approach. I suspect that eventually they're going to mount an attack that I can't withstand, so I'm wondering- has anyone experimented with making multiple shelters in different areas and avoiding scouts by moving between them?

Also, is there any way to dismantle a structure that you don't need anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

suboptimal posted:

I got this a while ago, but only started playing it last night. My first attempt ended in about five minutes, but for my second attempt, my plane crash is right on the edge of a cliff, so I've been able to build a decent fortress that uses defensive walls and torches to funnel any of the mutants into chokepoints with traps on any angle of approach. I suspect that eventually they're going to mount an attack that I can't withstand, so I'm wondering- has anyone experimented with making multiple shelters in different areas and avoiding scouts by moving between them?

Also, is there any way to dismantle a structure that you don't need anymore?

Bash it with an axe. Would be interesting to setup multiple temp shelters or even full ones. Cannot recall if they show up with floating icons. Would most likely lose them.

• Locked thread