Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm trying to watch it now, but it seems like a grocery store romance paperback. Is that what it is? The narration is pretty grating.

Edit: why the hell did you guys get me to DVR this.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fooz posted:

I'm trying to watch it now, but it seems like a grocery store romance paperback. Is that what it is?

Yeah - that's exactly what it's based on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a Slate article talking about how it's a Game of Thrones for women. Sounds intriguing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I want to rant about how poo poo it was but I'm not in the target demo at all so that's not really relevant. Doesn't help that I'm not a Bear McCreary fan.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fooz posted:

I want to rant about how poo poo it was but I'm not in the target demo at all so that's not really relevant. Doesn't help that I'm not a Bear McCreary fan.

Me neither. His work on Galactica was awesome but since then I can't say any of his much hyped work has stuck for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think all the hype around him all only exists because of BSG anyway. It's not like the Walking Dead music was any good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The first season of Human Target, aka the good season, had some amazing music by him. Then season two got a new creative team and it all went to generic pop bullshit that further highlighted how good a job he did.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I've been pretty annoyed with season 2 of the USA show Graceland. They ditched a lot of the interesting Hunter/Hunted stuff from the first season and apparently decided that since Paul was able to cover up his previous crimes he was just going to stop committing them. Its like the show forgot he is a dirty cop who wasn't above murder.

Uh, in the first season he was a dirty cop in that he was selling tons of seized heroin so he could get a meeting with the guy (Jangles) that burned alive his girlfriend and a whole 'nother house full of agents. The only guy he murders (accidentally) is the agent in charge of that house who dresses up as Jangles and attacks him while he's drunk on the beach. Sure, he's corrupt and abuses resources to get what he wants, but he's not Vic Mackey (yet).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

There are some gosh darned names attached to Outlander, I'll tell you what. Never mind Ron Moore, you're not loving around if you've got Ira Steven Behr (The 4400, Alphas) in your stable.

This is a loving joke

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What he should have said is "the guy who's work/leadership on Deep Space 9 inspired Ron Moore for the BSG reboot more than any other thing"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kraps posted:

Maybe its because Glau isn't a main character in Arrow? I think where her arc ended up was dumb anyway.

I bounced from Arrow towards the middle of the last season (making the Suicide Squad boring? *pull parachute*), but does the show recover? The idea that her arc goes nowhere makes me happy that I missed out. Opinions from people that aren't just fans of CW and crappy genre shows preferred.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bown posted:

What he should have said is "the guy who's work/leadership on Deep Space 9 inspired Ron Moore for the BSG reboot more than any other thing"

4400 and alphas are trash.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DP likes everything. Welcome to the thread.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

DP likes everything. Welcome to the thread.

Hes a freaking retard!!!!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Judge Clayjar posted:

Hes a freaking retard!!!!

Wow, I'm gonna go soak myself in ice for a few minutes. 'Scuse me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Hey but seriously when the guy who brought you such classic television masterpieces as the 4400 and Alphas is working on a fantasy romance for housewives then poo poo you lock that poo poo down and take notice because serious poo poo is about to be brought for sure.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

Hey but seriously when the guy who brought you such classic television masterpieces as the 4400 and Alphas is working on a fantasy romance for housewives then poo poo you lock that poo poo down and take notice because serious poo poo is about to be brought for sure.

They're good, some would say great shows liked by a lot of people here (moreso Alphas than 4400, I admit -- certainly DS9). If you were into any of those shows or BSG, and you're not at least curious as to what about the material attracted writers associated with male-driven sci-fi / action, then I don't know what to say.

I wasn't trying to say "Guys, this show is the new hotness, watch it," and if I implied as much I apologize. I liked what I saw well enough, but I also know the show isn't exactly goon material. I only meant to point out how interested I was in who was working on it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 10, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Speaking of Outlander, A/V Club gave it an A. :stare: I don't recall actually seeing a solid A for a first season/pilot before. The show struck me the way the first book did before I dropped it 3/4 through. As in, yes absolutely it does seem better than an actual grocery rack harlequin romance, but that's still what it is. It's as though somebody looked at the genre and was like, "Hey, what if we made some smut that was, maybe... not hilariously bad?" So yes, there is... very blatant wish fulfillment. That doesn't automatically make everything in the show really bad, but it's not easy to ignore, and some of it is pretty eye rolling, and it's why I finally gave up on the book.

I don't think "Game of Thrones for women" is accurate, though. The equivalent of Outlander for men is like some book where the hero is a total badass assassin with magic powers and all women want him for some reason. (I've heard "Kvoth" in the Kingkiller chronicles is like this, but haven't read it.) GOT seems more like a deconstruction of that genre, and the romance one too, to some extent. (E.g., compare Dany's relationship with Khal Drogo to the relationship between the narrator and all these hot sweaty sexy barbarians with their sexy accents in Outlander. GOT basically says, "Uh no, this wouldn't be titillating. It'd be hosed up is what it'd be."*) It wouldn't surprise me, though, if the Outlander show becomes a little more self-conscious about this than the books.

* I'll, uh, ignore the jokes in the GOT spoiler thread about jerking off to the upcoming walk of shame for Cersei because omg boobs, since you're, uh, not supposed to be turned on by that, you sick fucks.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 10, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ahahahahahaha lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Outlander sounds most definitely Not For Me

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DirtyRobot posted:

Speaking of Outlander, A/V Club gave it an A. :stare: I don't recall actually seeing a solid A for a first season/pilot before.

Todd gave the first season of The Leftovers a solid A on AV Club.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 10, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

Todd gave the first season of The Leftovers a solid A on AV Club.

He was on his way out (of avclub) so he had to be trolling. The Leftovers is a bad show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Every show is a bad show except for Breaking Bad and The Wire right?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Buffy was good.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Finally got around to watching the Knick. Holy poo poo.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

GreenNight posted:

Nothing's been good since Cheers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Just let a dude say he doesn't like a show you like, jeez.

Man it is so hard not for me to just go on at length to everybody about how Sopranos is the best show ever while I'm in the middle of a season of it. Soooo loving good ugh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

- Jonah Ryan, TVIV poster

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Just let a dude say he doesn't like a show you like, jeez.

There's a difference between "I really hate this loving show" and "Todd VanDerWerff gave it an A so he must be trolling." Respect for other people's opinions is a two way street. I say this knowing full well that I've fallen back on "Hurr people who hate The Leftovers are just bitter LOST fans," but at least I'm willing to admit "I can't argue with the legit grievances people have with the show," and thus won't bother trying.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 10, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GreenNight is making a career out of complaining about people who don't like it, though.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I have a high regard for DP's opinion - he turned me onto Moonlighting (which is awesome and you should watch it). But the Leftovers is terrible, and discounting anyone's opinion in this thread (aside from Joe) is kind of silly.

If someone in TVIV says X about a show, I tend to believe them, though always with a grain of salt. Sometimes I end up agreeing, sometimes not. So what. It's just TV.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

GreenNight is making a career out of complaining about people who don't like it, though.

Okay, but just like it's not fair of me to paint you with the Bitter LOST Fan brush because I disagree with you, it's not fair for someone to call a professional review a troll because they disagree with it, which is what GreenNight was responding to. And I'm sure he frustrates you! But in this instance, his call of bullshit feels correct. You can't blame the weatherman for predicting rain when you want a sunny day, even if he is kind of a prick. (Not my opinion, GreenNight, just empathizing with Bown.)

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

muscles like this? posted:

Syfy had that reality show where half the group lived in the "future" while the other half lived in the "past."
This is from last page; but I just have to summarize for anyone who didn't watch the glory that was Opposite Worlds... In the first episode, I witnessed a bunch of people in unitards sumo wrestle on a ten-foot high platform with stun-sticks.

It was a deeply flawed reality-show that basically amounted to one long, drawn-out curbstomp of one team as far as the "world" gimmick went, but gently caress me if that single competition didn't justify the show's existence tenfold. :magical:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I wasn't trying to say "Guys, this show is the new hotness, watch it," and if I implied as much I apologize. I liked what I saw well enough, but I also know the show isn't exactly goon material. I only meant to point out how interested I was in who was working on it.

I'm not trying to be rude here but, but the endless voiceover, trite vase speech, a 10 minute scene whose epoch was marital oral sex, the literal palm reader foreshadowing, the 0-to-60 rapist soldier, the flashback about the rock, etc was just fine? I mean there's positive reviews floating around about it so I may be in the wrong here but that stuff did not seem ok to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, but just like it's not fair of me to paint you with the Bitter LOST Fan brush because I disagree with you, it's not fair for someone to call a professional review a troll because they disagree with it, which is what GreenNight was responding to. And I'm sure he frustrates you! But in this instance, his call of bullshit feels correct. You can't blame the weatherman for predicting rain when you want a sunny day, even if he is kind of a prick. (Not my opinion, GreenNight, just empathizing with Bown.)

I mean....VDW does call Justin Theroux's character "compelling".

Nah, I kid. I guess I just thought smg77 was joking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, I've never seen The Leftovers so I'm not defending the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Fooz posted:

I'm not trying to be rude here but, but the endless voiceover, trite vase speech, a 10 minute scene whose epoch was marital oral sex, the literal palm reader foreshadowing, the 0-to-60 rapist soldier, the flashback about the rock, etc was just fine? I mean there's positive reviews floating around about it so I may be in the wrong here but that stuff did not seem ok to me.

Well, like Mu Zeta said: I like everything. My tolerance for bullshit is extremely high; if there's one or two things I can latch onto, the volume gets turned down on everything else -- and you're absolutely welcome to keep that in mind when I recommend anything else. In this case, I like the leads, I think the show is often gorgeous, and the balance of power in either romance doesn't feel off, even if that comes at the expense of making Claire a bit too awesome. (Compare to Twilight and its awkward predatory overtones in any conversation between Bella and Edward.)

Now, it's very, VERY rare that I'll say "gently caress this" and nuke my season pass. What usually happens is that a show will just pile up on my DVR until I realize that it's never getting watched (Power, Magic City), or I'll miss an episode and decide that I don't care (Korra). Neither scenario happens with fanfare. This could easily happen with Outlander. But for now, I liked it enough to come back.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bown posted:

I mean....VDW does call Justin Theroux's character "compelling".

Nah, I kid. I guess I just thought smg77 was joking.

I was kind of joking because I knew it would get a reaction out of people but on the other hand I wasn't because I'm completely baffled by the glowing reviews from critics I usually have a lot of respect for (like TVDW and Alan Sepinwall). I also don't consider myself a bitter LOST fan (I bailed early in the third season but I don't harbor resentment towards Lindelof or anything like that).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the one hand, I can only think of one show DP likes that I think is really bad (Awkward).

On the other hand, I haven't actually bothered to check out The Leftovers yet, but I do intend to do so with an open mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Division Post still isnt as retarded as IRQ i guess....... but *pink Floyd voice* if i had my way, id have all of you shot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread