Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If anyone needs a shower between missions, it's wonder yellow. I can't imagine that fur coat was a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Geostomp posted:

Hey, out of curiosity, is Wonder Rocket any good? I bought it but haven't found much real use for it.

There's a few scattered points where it's a slightly easier way to climb to certain places but I don't think it's ever really required for anything, ever.

Unrelated: As of a few days ago I have 100%'d this game. It was a total blast and it almost certainly would never have happened if not for this LP (which convinced me to buy it in, what, three whole videos?). So thanks, Chip!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Highwang posted:

I think the issue with Kamiya trying to make this a full Nintendo IP action game was that Nintendo already had that with Smash and their beatemup segment in Brawl, so they probably felt that would be awkward or redundant.

Though honestly, the result of everyone being toku as gently caress is much better.

But imagine if it was toku as gently caress AND it was still all Nintendo characters

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Suaimhneas posted:

But imagine if it was toku as gently caress AND it was still all Nintendo characters

Oh my god, imagine Bowser as a Kaiju. If he didn't look so frigging dumb when he's big, it'd almost be really frightening!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Probe 17 posted:

Oh my god, imagine Bowser as a Kaiju. If he didn't look so frigging awesome when he's big, it'd almost be really frightening!

Well now I'm mourning for things that can never be.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That is one of the coolest levels I think I've seen, even among other Platinum games. Also it's neat that the good guy mooks are still reasonably competent, between the sweet gunboat in this episode and pink team earlier.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Two turtles and a microphone time limit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Geostomp posted:

I have no idea why, they usually have enough of a sense of humor about this kind of thing to do it all the time in their own games. Aw well, what we got was much better anyway.

Hey, out of curiosity, is Wonder Rocket any good? I bought it but haven't found much real use for it.

You can use it as a launcher if you want. That's about it, it's not as practical as the wonderful rising move but it's still fun to use.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Highwang posted:

Though honestly, the result of everyone being toku as gently caress is much better.

What does this poo poo even mean? Does it have to do with how tiny they all look?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

liquidypoo posted:

What does this poo poo even mean? Does it have to do with how tiny they all look?

Google "tokusatsu." Though I also believe it's been explained in detail in the thread as well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

liquidypoo posted:

"Toku" is short for "Tokusatsu", which is the genre of Japanese (children's) television that encompasses (the Japanese version of) Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, Kamen Rider, et cetera.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is there a guy in a rubber suit? If yes, then tokusatsu.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
People would have probably hated the After Burner mission in Bayonetta less if they didn't put the best boss in the game behind it and you have to do it every time you want to play it.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

cmykjester posted:

People would have probably hated the After Burner mission in Bayonetta less if they didn't put the best boss in the game behind it and you have to do it every time you want to play it.

This is 100000% of the reason I hate that.
I just want to loving fight Jeanne, not play your bullshit extra long minigame.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DoctorWhat posted:

"Toku" is short for "Tokusatsu", which is the genre of Japanese (children's) television that encompasses (the Japanese version of) Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, Kamen Rider, et cetera.

I thought that was Sentai? Is Sentai a subset of Toku?

E: I know I could google it, but I figure I can either educate myself or educate everyone in the thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bruceski posted:

E: I know I could google it, but I figure I can either educate myself or educate everyone in the thread.

Super Sentai is the specific franchise that gets/got adapted into Power Rangers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Super Sentai is a specific genre, specifically the dudes in the color-coded outfits who get turned into Power Rangers when they come over here.

Tokusatsu is the live-action heavy-special-effects show that it is part of. Ultraman or Godzilla are more recognizable examples.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

Super Sentai:Toku::Friday the 13th:Cheap Horror

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Chip, how on earth do y--well, okay, Chip is just super crazy good, I accept that, but really, how do you pull off drawing large hammers in the midst of ridiculously flashy combat and turtles making everything explode? I feel like I always end up with an oversize whip when I try to draw a hammer too large.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Wild Knight posted:

Chip, how on earth do y--well, okay, Chip is just super crazy good, I accept that, but really, how do you pull off drawing large hammers in the midst of ridiculously flashy combat and turtles making everything explode? I feel like I always end up with an oversize whip when I try to draw a hammer too large.

Draw a sword then a hand.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wild Knight posted:

Like seemingly everything else in a Platinum Game™, the shape-drawing has its own mechanics that are completely consistent and utterly reliable but highly unintuitive and not at all what they first make themselves out to be.

First, and this is the most unintuitive thing, proportions do not mean a goddamn thing. The sole factor that determines the size of the Unite Morph you get is the total length of the line you draw. But then, how do you define shapes of indeterminate proportions? Well, the game looks for certain well-defined angles. Basically, what the game can detect are; curved lines, straight lines, and sharp angles.

Unite Hand is a circle - that's just a curved line followed by another curved line curving in the same direction. Unite Sword is a straight line. Unite Gun is a sharp angle.

Unite Whip is the first complex shape; it's two curved lines, but they curve in opposite directions. Unite Hammer is a straight line followed by a curved line (funfact: it does not actually have to be a circle).

As long as you draw a straight line and then a curved line, you will get Hammer. If you draw a massive straight line and then a tiny circle, you will still get a Hammer. All that matters is the total length of line drawn and the sequence of basic shapes you make. But if you try and draw a proportionate hammer shape, you're restricted to a shorter straight line, which is easier for the game to mistake for a curved line than a long one - so the game often mistakes Hammer for Whip because it detects a curve and a curve instead of a straight and a curve.

Amusing anecdote: Yellow is Russian, and you can make a Hammer by drawing a sickle. :v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Fedule posted:

curved lines, straight lines, and sharp angles.

...I've beaten the game (on Easy, mind) and I feel like you saying this just made everything click. It's like finding out you can parry even the giant Metal Gears in Revengeance.

Thanks a bunch, I think I'm going to pop this game back in tomorrow and give Normal mode a whirl.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The "trick" for me to finally draw the hammer, was to STOP for a tiny moment after the line, before making the circle after. Then even something that barely resembles a stick and circle worked, while a quickly drawn, but more even shape would decide "nope gently caress you have something else/nothing at all".

See also, why it took me ages to ever make unite gliders. TRIANGLE nope TRIANGLE nope Mother fuckin triangle! nope. Not happening unless I have a tiny little pause between each line.

For whatever reason though, I could make make the two next shapes as quickly and sloppily as I wanted and still get the right thing :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 12, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So is there any real reason to not just pound enemies with multimorphs all the time, battery willing? Is one big rear end hammer way better then using a bunch of small hammers on a turtle, for example?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

curved lines, straight lines, and sharp angles.
Why do I get the feeling that when TASing catches up to the Wii U, W101 will be one of the first targets? (For comparison, see Brain Age.)

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Okay, I'm all nice and caught up so far. I swear, Ironicus is like a giddy schoolgirl whenever Chip and/or the game does something awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ariong posted:

If anyone needs a shower between missions, it's wonder yellow. I can't imagine that fur coat was a good choice.

I'm sure their Centinel Suits have climate control. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

liquidypoo posted:

Well, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOoUbbXiVxw

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Everything makes perfect sense to me now :shepface:

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

NGDBSS posted:

Why do I get the feeling that when TASing catches up to the Wii U, W101 will be one of the first targets? (For comparison, see Brain Age.)

Ahaha, wow, that was incredible.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I'm past the LP now. Everything about this game keeps getting better oh my god.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I found it kind of amazing you could actually lose all of your hammer dudes. Don't some civilians join up with hammers now? Or is that Wonderful Ones only?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Glazius posted:

I found it kind of amazing you could actually lose all of your hammer dudes. Don't some civilians join up with hammers now? Or is that Wonderful Ones only?

Haven't played the game, but I don't think you can make civilians into the leader. They don't have weapons. It looks like they just contribute to the things that you need raw man power for like bigger unite morphs.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I thought there was already an instance in this LP where Chip ends up with just some random kid as his sword-user?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Civilians are assigned weapons semi-randomly, and they can become the leader if all the actual Wonderful Ones that use that weapon have been knocked out. Or maybe just randomly if the main colored Wonderful One was knocked out? Not completely sure.

If they couldn't then you'd run into problems if all your Wonderful One were knocked out and you only had civilians up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think Chip explained in one of the earlier videos that certain kinds of civilians are more likely to have certain kinds of weapons. Like police officers are more likely to have guns, kids are more likely to have swords, and so on.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does that mean that you could, in theory, get a little kid civilian with a giant hammer? On that subject, what weapons do Luka and Shirogane use?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Does that mean that you could, in theory, get a little kid civilian with a giant hammer? On that subject, what weapons do Luka and Shirogane use?

You can't use them. They're impossible to make the leader.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really like how in the last QTE fail, Wonder Red's health bar drops a bit after his split goes too far before he plummets to the ground. One of those nice touches that you tend to overlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

You can't use them. They're impossible to make the leader.

I know Chip said you couldn't, but I remember accidentally using Luka at one point. He had a fist IIRC.

• Locked thread