Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Well then that is loving mad. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thehustler posted:

For 90% of the players involved in making that field they just got asked randomly to clear a couple links near their house by local leadership. The overall plan would only be known by key players.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Javid posted:

E: someone posted this on g+ and it might explain some people's problems

Wouldn't this mean that, say I get in my car and hack somebody's couch portal on the way out the neighborhood, then gun it and drive to a farm a few miles away at a hundred an hour. I get out of my car and try hacking - since the bubble won't get there for another few minutes or whatever, nothing should work. It does work, though, I've seen it (though that is an extreme example).

Would also mean you can hack at any speed you want as long as it's a fresh timer, but that might be correct. I've seen hacks fail at less than 35 and work at well over, but I always figured it was screwy GPS.

It doesn't seem right, or maybe it's only one aspect of a more complicated system?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Coldbird posted:

Wouldn't this mean that, say I get in my car and hack somebody's couch portal on the way out the neighborhood, then gun it and drive to a farm a few miles away at a hundred an hour. I get out of my car and try hacking - since the bubble won't get there for another few minutes or whatever, nothing should work. It does work, though, I've seen it (though that is an extreme example).

Would also mean you can hack at any speed you want as long as it's a fresh timer, but that might be correct. I've seen hacks fail at less than 35 and work at well over, but I always figured it was screwy GPS.

It doesn't seem right, or maybe it's only one aspect of a more complicated system?

I think there is more to it. I live in Chicago and hack portals while taking public transportation all the time. Only on some bus or train lines (those that have longer periods of going above 35mph) have I hit the speed cap. Once you hit the speed cap it takes 30min to cool down, but I think the bubbles themselves have a fairly short life-span. I'm guessing 30 to 60 seconds.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The bubble is fairly short lived, under I minute I think. It prevents hot lapping cluster portals.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, I just got into this, and I have a quick question to ask:

Is passcode chasing an act of futility? What I've read makes them seem like :effort: and they are fully used up by the time someone posts them to a forum?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I just entered all these from the newest Ingress post, might still be fresh:

4zc2codes7u7u
6zh6codep8t4z
2wa2cipherv6r9q
8xc2substitutionz4t7p
6pd4transpositionz9x2p
4zh4cipherz4s8v
6qd7cryptoz4u8s
8ye3transpositionu2p9y

That said they give kinda junk. At least you can C&P them into the intel map entry field now though!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

thehustler posted:

A little over a year ago there was a megafield made over the US. We had someone basically say we need you to clear "X, Y, and Z links and please do not create anything new!" We had an inkling that that we were clearing for a megafield but nothing set in stone. Unfortunetnly the the links we had to clear were in Gardner, KS which at the time was a heavily fortified, heavily populated Resistence farm that it took a massive operation to get it down and then within an hour of knocking them down they were rebuilt :( The megafield did go up but only lasted for about 20 minutes before the Omaha branch of it got destroyed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

So, I just got into this, and I have a quick question to ask:

Is passcode chasing an act of futility? What I've read makes them seem like :effort: and they are fully used up by the time someone posts them to a forum?

Yes. Also go back to eve :colbert:

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.
So I've started playing this recently, hit level 3 today and I want to start coordinating with other local players. I know G+ seems to be the place to go, how do I actually start connecting with other faction teammates to take down tougher portals? I linked my profile and I scan faction chat but people don't seem to organize there.

AbsenceVsThinAir fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People are absurdly paranoid about faction chat. Usually you have to jump through hoops to get into a g+ group or whatever. One group I had to meet someone in person first, the other one I had to fill out a form on a website and paste a verification code into faction comms. It's rifuckingdiculous. In both cases there were level requirements too. Just keep at it if you're set on it.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Javid posted:

People are absurdly paranoid about faction chat. Usually you have to jump through hoops to get into a g+ group or whatever. One group I had to meet someone in person first, the other one I had to fill out a form on a website and paste a verification code into faction comms. It's rifuckingdiculous. In both cases there were level requirements too. Just keep at it if you're set on it.

Okay, I figured as much. I'm just going to keep farming the portals nearby (to/from work and near day care) until I'm more established.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Javid posted:

Often groups will come to you, too. When I started, the locals saw my activity and asked me to email their gmail to get the Introduction group invite, where you post your Ingress profile for a hangout invite. Then you meet a lv8 to get into the op planning group.

If your local group has good relations with the neighboring groups and you spend a lot of time in their area, they may skip the security stuff and simply let you in.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So I went to a local park this evening that housed two corners of a shard triangle that crosses most of the state, confident I had enough xmbs and cubes to take it down... and after about a half hour had managed to take out one corner because of poo poo data connection.

Holy hell that sucked.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I drove an hour into the boonies (In NH this is really hard because you usually end up exiting the boonies by the time you go that far) to get to a portal that was anchor to about 8 layered fields. I accidentally went down some guys driveway and apparently blocked it while I took out the portal. He came home while I was doing this and we had a short awkward conversation about the game. Signal was okay but GPS lock was really hard to come by.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

I really can't imagine all the link clearing needed for the link that goes from Baja California up to Canada.
Planning megafields takes weeks to months and still hinges on new players who aren't in the group now screwing it up inadvertently.

Mr. Powers posted:

I drove an hour into the boonies (In NH this is really hard because you usually end up exiting the boonies by the time you go that far) to get to a portal that was anchor to about 8 layered fields. I accidentally went down some guys driveway and apparently blocked it while I took out the portal. He came home while I was doing this and we had a short awkward conversation about the game. Signal was okay but GPS lock was really hard to come by.
So ... you recruited him, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

XM Artifacts are live.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1072416

I'm a little curious about how many Ingress goons we have and where they're at, and who to coordinate with to fulfill my giant, penis-shaped field fantasies so I made a pushpin map.

Pin a spot that relatively corresponds with your play area with your faction color and SA/Ingress username.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1072416

I'm a little curious about how many Ingress goons we have and where they're at, and who to coordinate with to fulfill my giant, penis-shaped field fantasies so I made a pushpin map.

Pin a spot that relatively corresponds with your play area with your faction color and SA/Ingress username.

Looks like I can help with the ball sack.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Trampus posted:

Looks like I can help with the ball sack.

Didn't realize you were a goon. waddup local dude. :hf:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a good beginner guide for the game.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

DrPlump posted:

I found a good beginner guide for the game.

Part of me feels like a pessimistic dick, the other part feels like this guide is satirizing idiots who have done the things it lists.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Off the top of my head, I have seen 2 of those rules come into play in this thread.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

Off the top of my head, I have seen 2 of those rules come into play in this thread.

Hey Chemosh, I added myself to the map, are we the two Rogue Valley goons and we're on opposite teams?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Hey Chemosh, I added myself to the map, are we the two Rogue Valley goons and we're on opposite teams?

That's cool. Small world :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I couldn't get the map to work, but I too am in the rogue valley area.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

Which side are you on? The right side or wrong side?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

chemosh6969 posted:

I and at least one other poster in this thread carry firearms as a matter of course, thereby satisfying one rule. Which is the other?

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Javid posted:

Wow, I remember your posts about how horrible the community was where you were playing and other problems but that doesn't sound like the players around here. Blue has us dominated here but I don't see any drama or anything but fair players.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are actual sneak photos and harvested Facebook pics of 'enemy' players in the group I'm in, along with where they live and work and what they drive. Meanwhile, "friendly" players just stonewalled me in faction chat when trying to get connected with the group initially. I had to, physically, chase someone across town to even find out there was a g+ group. Comparatively, in Portland they'll at least tell you where to go to get into a group if you ask. Maybe the enlightened group is less of a shitfest, not that that helps me any.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Javid posted:

There are actual sneak photos and harvested Facebook pics of 'enemy' players in the group I'm in, along with where they live and work and what they drive. Meanwhile, "friendly" players just stonewalled me in faction chat when trying to get connected with the group initially. I had to, physically, chase someone across town to even find out there was a g+ group. Comparatively, in Portland they'll at least tell you where to go to get into a group if you ask. Maybe the enlightened group is less of a shitfest, not that that helps me any.

Pathetic. We greet and welcome new players and get them into g+ groups and chats immediately. Get everyone to know each other, and with a friendly community we become acquainted and know who we can contact based on where they are and what they like to do. No leaders either,it's a game that everyone plays and anyone who wants to take initiative on an area, op, or whatever can do so.

Distrust, rankings, and holding elite things above players heads make the game not fun.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Wow. I feel for you all that live in areas with a lovely player-base. Chicago is super friendly, both within Enlightened and cross-faction. Last week I went and decimated a Resistance field while on a walk with my dog. One of the Resistance folks was around at the tail end and all she said to me in Comm was "cute dog".

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

Maybe the enlightened group is less of a shitfest, not that that helps me any.

Read my posts on how lovely that side is. I was originally on resistance but switched to enlightened because of stuff going on. Enlightened is a lot more drama filled, so I went back to resistance. Nobody really chats on the G+ group.

Enlightened has an extremely active groupme chat group where they're online and posting constantly and talking poo poo about the resistance players. Enlightened doesn't cheat but they make up for it by being really, really, into the game.

I wouldn't complain if someone tried making new local groups for each side.

edit: If I bothered to look at any of your screenshots, I would have recognized you were in the same area. I (BlueMilk) can hook you up with some gear and with leveling up if you ever want to show up in Ashland.

Loucks posted:

I and at least one other poster in this thread carry firearms as a matter of course, thereby satisfying one rule. Which is the other?

Some dude was saying he like to pretend he was a spy or something when he played. Hiding in bushes and sneaking around.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 13, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

chemosh6969 posted:

I was originally on resistance but switched to enlightened because of stuff going on. Enlightened is a lot more drama filled, so I went back to resistance.
Wait - how do you change sides?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

porktree posted:

https://support.google.com/ingress/answer/2892252?hl=en

It's a slow process.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

chemosh6969 posted:

Some dude was saying he like to pretend he was a spy or something when he played. Hiding in bushes and sneaking around.

Must've missed that post. That is really funny and pathetic.

porktree posted:

You create a new account. This is against the terms, but when changing sides takes forever it is what a lot of people do anyway because they don't want to wait however long it takes Niantic to get around to them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

porktree posted:

I did the faster way of putting in the request to delete my account and then starting a new one with a different email address.

The only benefit of doing it the slow way is that you get to keep using the same email address. Either way, you still start from scratch and have to pick a new name.

Loucks posted:

You create a new account. This is against the terms, but when changing sides takes forever it is what a lot of people do anyway because they don't want to wait however long it takes Niantic to get around to them.

I thought it wasn't against the terms, at least as long as you aren't using both accounts at the same time. That's a big no no.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I believe you also get to keep your achievements when you switch sides, so for people obsessed with leveling past lv8, doing the slow process might be worth the wait vs just starting a new account.

edit: Also, when I switched sides back in January, my (green) name was on the regional (blue) list of top agents until the cycle ended, so if you're trying to be subtle about switching, don't have any fields active when the switch occurs.

That one rear end in a top hat in my area is hilariously paranoid. I had a portal that someone attacked, but didn't managed to do any damage to. I looked at their profile and saw that they were a lv1 with exactly 0 AP, meaning they had just joined. Even thought it was cross-faction, I try to be friendly, so I sent them a simple 'welcome to the game' message in comm. That one rear end in a top hat then sent me a bunch of messages accusing me of eavesdropping on enemy comm, because how else could I possibly have seen the 'new player' message. Dude needs to get a life.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 13, 2014

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
One of the funnest things I ever did was ruin an OP because I hated the guy who ran it. I fed info to a 3rd party who contacted a Resistence player in my area and told her everything. I wasn't really playing at the time because of this guy so ruining his op and then seeing the tears run as they tried to figure out the mole was hilarious. Really they would've gotten wrecked regardless because a couple idiot E's decided to destroy every portal on their way to the op and it didn't take a genius to figure out which direction they were headed which was good because it gave me deniability :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

Read my posts on how lovely that side is. I was originally on resistance but switched to enlightened because of stuff going on. Enlightened is a lot more drama filled, so I went back to resistance. Nobody really chats on the G+ group.

Enlightened has an extremely active groupme chat group where they're online and posting constantly and talking poo poo about the resistance players. Enlightened doesn't cheat but they make up for it by being really, really, into the game.

I wouldn't complain if someone tried making new local groups for each side.

edit: If I bothered to look at any of your screenshots, I would have recognized you were in the same area. I (BlueMilk) can hook you up with some gear and with leveling up if you ever want to show up in Ashland.

I almost never get to Ashland but I appreciate the offer.

• Locked thread