Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Firebert posted:

The GR are a Doomsday cult who believe that they (and everyone else not-raptured) were rejected by an Old Testament-style God for their sins, and their goal is to disrupt people from falling back into their pre-rapture ways, "saving" them by trolling and eventually converting people that they've targeted as potential converts. They are eager to martyr themselves (and start staging them among their own members, probably to garner sympathy/converts, it's vague in the book). They smoke because they believe that they're living in the endtimes so there's no sense worrying about health ramifications.

I feel a bit disappointed by that.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I don't think there's much to that NatGeo magazine in particular. It's a mcguffin representing some kind of choice or threshold we're unaware of yet.
I'm going to guess that, like Wayne and his hugs, the grandfather's voices, etc, they will never be 100% explicit in telling us that "this poo poo right here is real".

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ashrik posted:

I feel a bit disappointed by that.

They are disappointed in you

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ashrik posted:

I'm going to guess that, like Wayne and his hugs, the grandfather's voices, etc, they will never be 100% explicit in telling us that "this poo poo right here is real".
I dunno, I don't really feel like there's anything supernatural to attach to any of that. Wayne is a cult leader, and predicting his death is pretty drat obvious given all the poo poo going down. And Kevin Sr. hearing voices was probably always a problem, it's just that in a time where people get non-Raptured into the ether with no possible explanation and his son thinks its happening to him, at least one of them is bound to attach their mental instability to thinking they are communing with the departed.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Or some/most/all of it could be supernatural and real since 2% of the planet's population vanished into thin air and magic is definitely a thing in this show.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Sober posted:

I dunno, I don't really feel like there's anything supernatural to attach to any of that. Wayne is a cult leader, and predicting his death is pretty drat obvious given all the poo poo going down. And Kevin Sr. hearing voices was probably always a problem, it's just that in a time where people get non-Raptured into the ether with no possible explanation and his son thinks its happening to him, at least one of them is bound to attach their mental instability to thinking they are communing with the departed.

At this point, what is our read on the more ambiguous events of the show? Individually, many of the more peculiar events seem unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility, but taken in aggregate, do we still find these events credible? To name just a few:

1. The deer/car/dogs sequence in the pilot

2. Holy Wayne apparently successfully hugging away the pain in mere moments, including in a previously intractable Nora

3. Matt's lucky streak and its associated signs

4. The timing of the phone call that at least temporarily restored Tom's faith in Wayne

5. The crazy guy prattling on about "walking among the dead clothed in white" and Tom and Christine then encountering the crashed truck carrying Departed simulacrums

6. Garvey Sr. coming to Jill's aid at a decidedly crucial juncture

Is there any significance to these events? Just coincidence? Is it simple narrative conceit? I still can't decide what I think but after watching Nora's episode, I realized that I want it to mean something and I think I'm going to be disappointed... which I suppose is the whole point of the show.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tomahawk posted:

Or some/most/all of it could be supernatural and real since 2% of the planet's population vanished into thin air and magic is definitely a thing in this show.

Given that the creators of this show are linked to LOST, expect a "Hey it looks like we're going to give you a scientific reason for these supernatural events, but in the end we're going to say that you shouldn't have expected that and that the story was really 'about the characters and their experiences.'"

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
It's okay buddy, LOST ended over ten years ago and can't hurt you anymore.

The creators have flat out said this is about the characters, and not having answers. Which honestly is more interesting for me, because with how much humans love pattern recognition having a truly random and unexplained event is something that would screw with everyone's head. Yes, the show is hit and miss with of making its characters worth exploring, but overall I'm really enjoying the series.

Thinking on it, it's because I feel safe that the craziness isn't a mystery to solve, that I'm okay with the pace and direction. This has been more like a interconnected series of vignettes, so I care a lot less about if it has an abrupt ending or the way the various story threads have meandered. A show like Resurrection meanwhile, with weirdness going on but the show having that as a central thing to uncover, bothered me more. They had a clear goal and did a pretty good job with what the A to B was, but the pacing needed some real work with the shortness of the first season. It felt like a movie ending in the middle of act 2, and leaving the rest for the sequel.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Rena posted:

It's okay buddy, LOST ended over ten years ago and can't hurt you anymore.

Are you from... the future? :tinfoil:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

hollylolly posted:

Are you from... the future? :tinfoil:

He really took the time travel plot to heart I guess, it's official cannon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's also an adaptation. Yes they can completely gently caress with the book's story, but so far they're presenting things that were in the book.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Leb posted:

At this point, what is our read on the more ambiguous events of the show? Individually, many of the more peculiar events seem unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility, but taken in aggregate, do we still find these events credible? To name just a few:

2. Holy Wayne apparently successfully hugging away the pain in mere moments, including in a previously intractable Nora

4. The timing of the phone call that at least temporarily restored Tom's faith in Wayne

5. The crazy guy prattling on about "walking among the dead clothed in white" and Tom and Christine then encountering the crashed truck carrying Departed simulacrums

Is there any significance to these events? Just coincidence? Is it simple narrative conceit? I still can't decide what I think but after watching Nora's episode, I realized that I want it to mean something and I think I'm going to be disappointed... which I suppose is the whole point of the show.
Insofar as the show explores issues of faith, it would be a serious misstep for the creators to provide confirmation one way or the other as to whether the listed events are actually supernatural, or are simply highly unlikely but within the realm of possibility. Even if it were the latter, I'm personally biased toward an agnostic/absurdist view that events have the meaning that we assign to them. The events strike me as meaningful in various ways, and that is enough to forestall disappointment.

edit: someone could just as easily say that there's no objective proof or meaning and that, therefore, everything is bullshit and meaningless, but that would be pretty GR-like, and I assume that their being portrayed as antagonists is being done purposefully. We're watching grieving characters struggle with nihilism and despair and I'm finding myself rooting for them when they try to find ways of escaping it, even if those ways would be considered kind of crazy in a world without the not-rapture.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 13, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Leftovers has been renewed for a second season

http://t.co/UClGY9rlG7

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Leftovers Season 2: Rapture Harder

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I hope they just continue to add new interesting characters, maybe have the first seasons characters become more side characters. Lost started losing steam when they ran out of backstory to reveal and had to focus on the stupid mystery.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Leb posted:

There's also Wayne seeming to be all-knowing when he does talk to Tom on the phone, like how he knew exactly where Tom was in the latest episode.

Did any of Garvey or Matts' dreams have any prophetic type elements that couldn't be explained by something else?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Uhh... Didn't Wayne not know who he was calling?

All knowing indeed.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All knowing indeed.

Well he was like that for like the first two seconds of the call, but then he was giving Tom exact directions to the mailbox from the drugstore without Tom telling him where he was.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

savinhill posted:

Did any of Garvey or Matts' dreams have any prophetic type elements that couldn't be explained by something else?

Theres nothing in the show that can't be explained away pretty easily, but it's also very clear that the writers are actively creating ambiguous situations. I haven't decided yet whether stuff like Nora's abnormal survey responses are intentionally meant to be mysterious or if it's just really bad, unsubtle writing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just realized that the dogs in the Sheriff's vision could be a metaphor for the Guilty Remnant. "These animals used to be tame but now they are feral and foreign. You should totally put them down." If another GR turns up missing that might explain the blackout bite on the Sheriff's hand. As far as factions go, real or imagined, the agnostic GR are the polar opposite of whatever is talking to Grandpa.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I was hoping there wouldn't be a season 2 and this could wrap up neatly as a miniseries. However, looking at the Wikipedia plot summary for the book (no real spoilers) it looks like they're pretty much at the end of everyone's arc already so maybe S2 will be original content?

Should be interesting either way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That episode was a solid "Pretty Good", I liked it.

The teenagers continue to be kind of annoying, but at least they have them doing actual teenager stuff (hanging out in the woods, bedrooms fighting and being idiots) while preserving the "teens are different in a dark way" theme, rather than Slaneesh Sex Parties.

Kevin's storyline could be interesting, I guess.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

fullroundaction posted:

I was hoping there wouldn't be a season 2 and this could wrap up neatly as a miniseries. However, looking at the Wikipedia plot summary for the book (no real spoilers) it looks like they're pretty much at the end of everyone's arc already so maybe S2 will be original content?

Should be interesting either way.

Yeah I wonder if they may go a True Detective route and focus on an entirely new cast. The fact that this is a story based on a worldwide event gives the writers unlimited options for original content. Perhaps season 2 will focus on the cult with the target on their heads.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would be satisfied if they just changed or cut most of the main characters on this show. GR had better become more interesting fast.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

savinhill posted:

Well he was like that for like the first two seconds of the call, but then he was giving Tom exact directions to the mailbox from the drugstore without Tom telling him where he was.

I think Wayne has all his protectors / mom's hiding in the same place. He forgot who he was calling because he and the other guy are in the same place and he mixed them up.

He said he hadn't spoken with Wayne in two months. Between the time he saw Wayne at the gas station and when he called in the latest episode, I think they've spoken off screen because it's been longer than 2 months between those two events.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Not like they work in shifts or anything. But yeah I was pretty much wondering "security footage?" during that whole bit. Certainly a hotel like that would have ample security cameras in their bar. Anyway, quibbling aside, thought that was a great episode. Also,

Plus if you want to quibble, how did she "forget" she brought a loaded (?) gun with her to NYC? She forget dealing with that during airport security?

Maybe she checked her purse in with her bag and... yeah, whatever, it's an oversight. Or perhaps after the Departure, the theater that is TSA no longer exists! :dance:

Loved the last few episodes and in general, I like the drat show. I wish people in this thread would be a little more patient, however. It's like some of you expect all unknowns to be known in the first few episodes of the show. It's not a movie. Just go with it and if it starts to fall apart, stop watching.

When I first heard about this show, I pretty much decided to skip it due to it reminding me of an older USA show called 4400. Seemed like a similar concept. However, after the first season (I think) the 4400 took a turn towards stupidlandand I had to stop watching that train wreck. I've been worried that Leftovers will do the same once some of the unknowns become knowns, but until that happens I'll watch it, and hope they keep up the quality.

Nora's actress being 33 was a little surprising to me as well. I'm 33 myself and find her very attractive, but assumed she was a few years older than I am. I think she's married to some old fart too, so perhaps her biology is "catching up" to his and she's actually around 38-40!

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Shadow posted:

Plus if you want to quibble, how did she "forget" she brought a loaded (?) gun with her to NYC? She forget dealing with that during airport security?

Didn't she take the train? I thought that's how everybody in the state got to the city.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
:ughh:

Right, right, they're in upstate NY. My bad.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
they will barely explain poo poo enough to pacify us but I see a greet many jimmies being rustled in a few eeks

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

All knowing indeed.

He probably has hundreds of flunkies paired with a baby momma hiding out all over the country. It probably took him a moment to remember exactly which one he was talking to and their specific situation. Maybe Wayne is behind it all... Maybe 2% of the population is on the lam with a pregnant woman.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I think at least on of these mysteries will turn out to be supernatural. 2% of the population did disappear into thin air after all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I keep wondering what it must've been like to have disappeared. Also, was Nora's husband the journalist dude from House of Cards?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I keep wondering what it must've been like to have disappeared. Also, was Nora's husband the journalist dude from House of Cards?

Yes. I wonder if he will show up in any flashbacks or if he just got paid to just have his photo taken with Nora.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Have there been any full fledged flashbacks in this show yet? I figure one of the last 3 episodes has to be heavily flashback focuses.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

Have there been any full fledged flashbacks in this show yet? I figure one of the last 3 episodes has to be heavily flashback focuses.

Most of them have been presented as/within dreams, so we might see Nora's husband in that context.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

There was a quick flash in Nora's episode and he was literally there for a second giving a high-five or something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sober posted:

There was a quick flash in Nora's episode and he was literally there for a second giving a high-five or something.

He's credited as "voice" in the Nora-centric episode, too, but I don't recall hearing him speak?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I wonder if they'll pull a Treme in the first season where they set the very first episode well after the flood, and really make you think you'll never see the day of right until the end of the season where they pull the rug out from under you.

I'd say seeing Matt's car accident in his fever dream is the closest we've gotten to a full-fledged flashback.

But even that isn't a whole lot of new information, since it happens within a scene we had already been presented with. We just realize he was in the background of the pilot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Max posted:

But even that isn't a whole lot of new information, since it happens within a scene we had already been presented with. We just realize he was in the background of the pilot.

I really liked that, and assumed more things like that would happen but nope. Not so far.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

homo punching bag posted:

I really liked that, and assumed more things like that would happen but nope. Not so far.

Yeah, I was wondering if we'd see anything from that kid's perspective that starts screaming for his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

tadashi posted:

He's credited as "voice" in the Nora-centric episode, too, but I don't recall hearing him speak?
I thought they named her husband in earlier episodes. I can only assume he did have a speaking part in the flashback but it got edited out later on.

• Locked thread