Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Car Stranger posted:

If you don't care about the ceremony, just get it done as cheaply as possible. Not many people can really afford to spaff away what could be a housing deposit on one day (though they often do so anyway because social expectations, conspicuous consumption etc.) Not directed at you, just irks me to see people start married life by acquiring a load of debt because they feel like they have to have fancy place settings and other daft poo poo.

Yeah, the wedding itself, we'd be happy going down to the courthouse and paying whatever modest fee there is, then going to a slightly-better-than-usual restaurant and spending the rest of the night watching Netflix, max price probably £150 or something like that. She and I totally agree that getting into massive debt for your wedding day is weird and unwise, which is good because my previous girlfriend wanted all the works and was very displeased whenever I made noises about being satisfied with much less.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I had to go to Glasgow airport today and saw a couple of police officers wandering about with massive guns. Is that normal now? I think that's literally the first time I've seen a gun in real life.

When I had arrived from visiting said ex at Heathrow a few years ago I was waiting with my mum for our coach up home, and like a dozen coppers armed with semi-automatics went by. Nothing came of it (or if anything did it was resolved quietly enough that nobody saw or heard anything) but despite growing up partly in Northern Ireland where the peelers are routinely armed, it was kind of unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Police have been armed for nearly 10 years in major transport hubs and it's funny that goons would only just be noticing.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mister Adequate posted:

Believe it or not it's only one tooth. Unfortunately it's a front one so she can't really go without.

Tom Cruise only has one front tooth.

Mister Adequate posted:

If she was here and had a decent dentist then yeah we'd probably have a case, but...

If she was a unicorn...

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I had to go to Glasgow airport today and saw a couple of police officers wandering about with massive guns. Is that normal now? I think that's literally the first time I've seen a gun in real life.

It's been common at airports with international connections for years now. I've seen tooled up coppers at Waverley in Edinburgh a few times too. Dunno what that's about.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's new in Scotland. Last time they properly armed the cops was when the Pope was over.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Total Meatlove posted:

Police have been armed for nearly 10 years in major transport hubs and it's funny that goons would only just be noticing.

I remember seeing submachine guns in the hands of security at Manchester Airport and that was more than 20 years ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aliginge posted:

I remember seeing submachine guns in the hands of security at Manchester Airport and that was more than 20 years ago.

Yeah, it was routine from the mid-80s after the Italian airport attacks. We even had tanks patrolling Heathrow occasionally as far back as the 70s sparking all sorts of conspiracy theories.

I agree though that it's still unsettling to see armed British police.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tortuga posted:

Tom Cruise only has one front tooth.

And that's because once a year he has violent sex with sexually violent black dudes on his island. Tom Cruises dentist usually whimpers a little every time Tom BASE jumps into his surgery window.
And all because of the above.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

My parents live in Mark Simmonds's constituency and I can confirm that he is, in fact, a wanker. Although this probably makes it more likely that UKIP will gain a seat there next election. :sigh:

Simmonds also used a photo of my mum in some of his campaign leaflets without asking permission and she's still pissed about it, 10ish years later.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Fat lot of good they do anyway.

I remember seeing two sub-machine gun armed police do nothing but stare at a Brazilian TV presenter's arse for about 20 minutes during the Olympics (her kecks were painted on). Bin Laden's corpse could've wandered past them with a ticking briefcase and they wouldn't have noticed.

On the bright side, at least they didn't shoot her.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speak for yourself, I had to see the Civil Nuclear Constabulary every day

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remember the "ring of steel" round London in the early 90s?

I got stopped on Blackfriars Bridge because I was in a transit full of building materials, pulled out at MP5-point and held whilst the van was searched. They actually had two guys with their guns pointed at us rather than just slung, whilst the other two rummaged about in the back of the van. It was a fairly tense five minutes for me and my mate.

I think the RoS checkpoint boxes are still there, albeit unmanned, in lots of places.

e:Oh poo poo, I just remembered almost giving a policeman a heart attack. Same job, but an Astra van, with a third mate asleep in the back. Police stopped us, got us out, and then begin searching and mate wakes up and policeman freaks out from the shock of another guy. Thank goodness they weren't armed that time. Got off with a warning about carrying passengers in the back of vans.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, the wedding itself, we'd be happy going down to the courthouse and paying whatever modest fee there is, then going to a slightly-better-than-usual restaurant and spending the rest of the night watching Netflix, max price probably £150 or something like that. She and I totally agree that getting into massive debt for your wedding day is weird and unwise, which is good because my previous girlfriend wanted all the works and was very displeased whenever I made noises about being satisfied with much less.

I vote you go on Don't Tell The Bride, with the only proviso being you let the thread organise the wedding. What could possibly go wrong?

(Or, go on DTTB, use as much of the Beeb's 12 grand as you can to buy expensive rings, after the wedding sell the rings, use the money for your wife's teeth. Bosh.)

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 12, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I see them pretty regularly round here, I think the policy is to have an armed squad out on regular duty just so they are readily available, but then there have been a few shootings in the area this year- they just carry a pistol though, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't know.

Always remember seeing them at airports/london with mp5/rifle and the big body armour though.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

No More Toast posted:

My parents live in Mark Simmonds's constituency and I can confirm that he is, in fact, a wanker. Although this probably makes it more likely that UKIP will gain a seat there next election. :sigh:

Neil Hamilton is apparently "a dead cert" to be the UKIP candidate there in 2015. This may, of course, just be Hamilton and UKIP talking out of their backsides.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mister Adequate posted:

That's true, except we live on different continents and we need to pay for a visa if we want to actually live together. Neither of us care much about the wedding ceremony, we just want to be married and live together.

poo poo, I remember how that feels. Spent months in 2002 waiting in misery over here for my US fiance visa, then months in 2010 waiting in misery over here for her UK spousal one. Wife's going for citizenship soon just so we have one place in the world where we can both live and not be kicked out of.

Hope you get through it all right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Obliterati posted:

It's new in Scotland. Last time they properly armed the cops was when the Pope was over.

They had them at Glasgow Airport at least as long ago as 5 years ago, I can say that for sure.

There is a bit of a scandal going on now though. Since the 9 polices forces in Scotland merged into Police Scotland people have suddenly noticed police officers just wandering about in their normal line of work, with sidearms, even to situations where they aren't required. Whereas until 2013 firearms officers kept their weapons in a locked box in their car, only to be used when given specific authorisation from a senior officer. It's been a relatively big story in the local press here in Inverness because nobody seemed to notice it happen until May this year, which you could argue is a poor effort from Highland Council's Community Safety, Public Engagement and Equalities Committee. Regardless, the local MP Danny Alexander has railed against it (one of the few worthwhile things that shite has done in 9 years as MP here, as well as independent MSP (& former copper) John Finnie.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill has been remarkably tone deaf on the matter though, insisting that the public understand, but I think there's very little evidence of that. There is just no need for armed police roaming the streets of Nairn or Ullapool. There's not much need for it in Glasgow or Edinburgh to be frank.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I use to go through Victoria station every day and see police with sub-machine guns every couple of days down in the underground by the ticket barriers. I hate guns and it always used to freak me out. Now I travel from Heathrow every few months and it's not uncommon to see them strolling around either. And yet when I saw a guy get arrested back in April none of the police ( of which there were many) were armed, or at least not with giant guns.and tbh you would expect to see them by security, rather than in the check in area.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Obliterati posted:

Nonot isnt. They have had armed police in glasgow airport for years.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, it was routine from the mid-80s after the Italian airport attacks. We even had tanks patrolling Heathrow occasionally as far back as the 70s sparking all sorts of conspiracy theories.

To be fair, this conspiracy does have a lot going for it.

Just as well the IRA did Mountbatten really.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If Mark Simmonds is bitching about working in London then maybe he shouldn't have planned his whole career around it. You don't accidentally become an MP, usually it is a decent chunk of your working life focused on it - let alone the effort to become a minister.

Cry me a loving river mate. It's like wanting to be a city lawyer (like a lot of my classmates) and then bitching about the London rent despite the £40k starting salary (like a lot of my classmates)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

In the early 2000s I used to see coppers with submachine guns just standing around Birmingham centre, protecting oasis market from terrorism.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I once ran through Ted Heaths garden for a drunk dare. The cops guarding him had guns. ( this was early 90s)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why tanks? I presume it was just to look menacing, cos I can't think why you'd actually want a tank in an airport unless they were expecting Carlos the Jackal to arrive with a brigade of T-72s. It doesn't fit into the terminal building, the main gun is completely useless, you can't see very much out of it...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Security theatre

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've never understood why white people feel skittish around guns, but the UK having its officers not carry them - successfully, as far as I can tell - is one of the things this country can be really proud of. I don't understand how it works, but it does, and good on you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well it avoids scenes such as going on in St Louis right now I guess. Looks like an occupying army there

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There were cops walking around Glasgow city centre during the games with SMGs too. You could tell exactly where they were, because people gave them a wide berth.

Ddraig posted:

While minorities obviously have more reason to be concerned about armed police (or just police in general) it is really, really unsettling to see armed police in the UK regardless. It's just something we're not used to. I had never even seen a gun in real life until I was 25

Yeah, it's hard not to be kinda antsy around them, just because we're so not used to being confronted with the prospect of armed police. Like, in America, it's not a big deal, but here there's a kinda Pavlovian conditioning of "Police are armed = bad poo poo is going down".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

freebooter posted:

I've never understood why white people feel skittish around guns, but the UK having its officers not carry them - successfully, as far as I can tell - is one of the things this country can be really proud of. I don't understand how it works, but it does, and good on you.

While minorities obviously have more reason to be concerned about armed police (or just police in general) it is really, really unsettling to see armed police in the UK regardless. It's just something we're not used to. I had never even seen a gun in real life until I was 25

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Fun fact: the police cars with the yellow dots on them are the ones with the guns in.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yesssss the recovery is here, great work Gideon http://news.sky.com/story/1317852/wages-fall-for-first-time-in-five-years

Sky News posted:

Wages Fall For First Time In Five Years
British workers earned less between April and June than they did in the same period last year, deepening the cost of living squeeze. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) charted average weekly earnings, including bonuses, fell by a yearly 0.2% over the three months. That's the first time wage growth has been negative since the recession of 2009.

When the effects of bonus payments were stripped out, pay rises remained weak and well below the rate of inflation showing growth at an annual rate of just 0.6% between April and June - the lowest growth in regular pay since records began in 2001. Commenting on the negative earnings figure, the ONS said it continued to reflect a cut in income tax in April 2013 which prompted many firms to delay bonus payments.

Excluding the effect of bonuses being paid at different times, regular pay growth was still a lot weaker than inflation, rising by just 0.6% in the 3 months to June compared with the same period last year. This is likely to be touched on by the Bank of England when it discusses inflation this morning.

The Bank has cited weak wage growth as a reason for keeping interest rates at the historic low of 0.5%. Between April and June, there were 30.6m people in work, 167,000 more than for January to March and 820,000 more than a year earlier. There were 2.08m unemployed people, 132,000 fewer than for January to March 2014 and 437,000 fewer than a year earlier.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The ONS has released its quarterly labour market survey: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_372372.pdf

Graphs!

This one looks kind of encouraging:

Lloyds: a government-owned private enterprise! Also, the royal mail: a private enterprise with a government-run pension scheme!

Five years of below-inflation wage growth:

Like the first one, this looks quite good by itself:

The TL,DR seems to be "plenty of jobs, not much money"

e: the thing about wages falling that Mahmoud linked is a bit misleading. As shown by the wage growth graph above, regular pay actually increased year-on-year over the last quarter (albeit by much less than inflation). The fall in overall wages is entirely due to a year-on-year drop in bonus payments, which in turn is due to "tax management" by high earners, who deferred their bonuses until the 50% tax rate was repealed and then took extra-large payouts in 2013. The 'fall' in bonus payments this quarter is just things returning to normal after that little exercise in mass tax avoidance.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 13, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

freebooter posted:

Actually not that different from most countries. There's specialized Firearms Units that can be called in to deal with someone when a weapons involved, which is usually what happens in countries where all their police officers are armed anyway. With the low amount of firearms in the UK it's incredibly rare for an unarmed officer to respond to a call and have a gun pulled on them, normally they know a gun was involved and the Firearm Unit would be the one responding.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Meanwhile 622,000 people are on zero hour contracts, with 37% of them being between 16 and 24.

There were 1.4m contracts that did not specify a minimum number of hours too.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_373757.pdf

But they all have 'jobs' so unemployment is falling and the Tories are wonderful!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
No zero hours contracts are great you see they allow employees the flexibility to...

...suck it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
No base rate increase this year: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/bank-of-england/11030408/No-interest-rate-rise-this-year-as-BoE-slashes-wage-growth-forecast.html

quote:

The Bank of England's interest rates are set to stay at their historic lows until next year, after the central bank signalled that it does not expect to see strong growth in earnings.

As data released showed that average earnings have fallen for the first time in five years, the Bank has made large downward revisions to its forecasts.

Its forecast for annual earnings growth in the last quarter of this year has been halved from from 2.5pc to 1.25pc.

The Bank said that it would now place more weight on wages in its assessment of "spare capacity" in the labour market, suggesting that interest rate hikes may be some way off.

Cheap money and mortgages for everyone forever and ever amen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You have to correlate the relative employment rate with the number of people who are leaving the job market. As Mitchell & Webb would have you know, you can just kill the poors and boost the employment rate.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
No but don't you see, quantitative easing and ultra-low interest rates will be a short-term measure. They're necessary because Lehman Brothers recently went under and the world's financial markets are completely jammed but we don't intend for this to become the new normal at all

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ufarn posted:

You have to correlate the relative employment rate with the number of people who are leaving the job market. As Mitchell & Webb would have you know, you can just kill the poors and boost the employment rate.

The inactivity rate is close to an all-time low, so people leaving the job market isn't really a significant factor:

Of the ~8.9m working age individuals who are economically inactive, 2.3m are students, 2.3m are home-makers, 2m are long-term sick, 1.3m are retired, 0.2m are temporarily sick, 39k are "discouraged" (not looking for work because no "suitable" jobs are available), and 0.8m have "other reasons" for inactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The inactivity rate is close to an all-time low, so people leaving the job market isn't really a significant factor:

Of the ~8.9m working age individuals who are economically inactive, 2.3m are students, 2.3m are home-makers, 2m are long-term sick, 1.3m are retired, 0.2m are temporarily sick, 39k are "discouraged" (not looking for work because no "suitable" jobs are available), and 0.8m have "other reasons" for inactivity.

That's pretty good. Rate's sitting at 6.4% and wages excluding bonuses rose 0.6%. Not great but certainly not bad.

However youth unemployment is at 17% :lmao:

• Locked thread