Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot that the faq fixed that issue. Until then it was up to tournament organizers so for a little while you never knew how it was going to go until you showed up and it was debatable if that spell was part of the lore or not. I remember making the same argument the faq did in regards to invocation when playing in a tournament the week Demons were released, having it inferred I was a WaaC rules lawyer and getting ruled against, then having my army stopped mercilessly. Early on there was a bunch of anti-Vampire lists since they were dominating up to the Demon release at least where I played so you saw it but after the faq and Vampires died down the Despair Banner was typically the go to choice. Thanks for the correction.

I get the feeling that Thorek was the hard counter to something at some point (I remember miners coming on the field from reserves and then charging into stuff with a 1/9 chance for failure) but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it was really poorly worded, same as the issue with have a Tzeentch loremaster. I only put as much effort into this because I used to primarily play daemons, and was very big on the 4 heralds + despair list early on with the book. People expected elite daemons and didn't know what to do when you showed up with over 100 bodies and none of the commonly taken magic items (except for spell breaker)

You could use Thorek to pin down stuff like the Tzeentch flying circus or RAF lists. Though a miner block would lose to the LOC, he could hold up the rest of the list pretty well. Peg Knights didn't like a bunch of GW dwarves charging them either. There's really not that much else that's a hard counter in WFB. 40K (and infamously BFG) have a lot more of that going on from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Gate posted:

World Dragon is just one of those things that takes a huge amount of points and specific mages to counter, while also being only 50 points and can fit on a unit standard bearer. If it were 55 points, and thus restricted to only the BSB, it might be vaguely reasonable. 50 points to poo poo on an entire army outside of them bringing 2 lores of magic is totally broken.

One other option I just thought of. If your opponent takes Arcane Unforging, you can Glean Magic it and destroy the banner that way. Though any thinking HE player will just dump that spell because he'll be aware of it, and you have minimal amounts of magic items to break.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Edit- Ah, this was discussed 7 pages ago, but the article below was only from yesterday. Apologies for the late news to everyone else. More coverage in the WargamerAU thread

I need to update my death pool date.

Games Workshop secretly moves to cut off Australian online retailers from selling to Australia, by telling the ACCC that RISK and Fallout:New Vegas are the same thing.

quote:

While Australian players were hit hard by the restrictions on international sales, Australian retailers (who never exported to international customers in the first place) remained largely unaffected. That all changed in May this year, when Games Workshop applied to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission — without notifying any of their 158 Australian trade partners — for the right to legally discriminate against online-only retailers.
The reasons behind the move match up with Games Workshop’s justification in other territories: in their view, online-only stores (“Distance Selling Channels”) don’t contribute anything to “the community”, and therefore don’t help Games Workshop’s bottom line like physical stores (“Shop Front Channels”) do.
They also tend to be an area where the ACCC has a particular interest and is known to go after major international companies, including giants such as VISA, Foxtel and FILA,” says Vuleta. “These agreements can be used to provide consumer benefit such as lower prices or maintaining product quality, or Pizza Hut ordering its franchisees to continue its unholy obsession with Pepsi, but do need careful scrutiny whenever their purpose appears to be to preserve the market power of a large player.”
What does this mean? Essentially, for Games Workshop to establish that their move will not reduce competition in the market, they are required to prove that their products are largely interchangeable and not actually that special. Seems counter-intuitive, for a company that quite literally uses the first paragraph on its investor page to claim that they make “the best fantasy miniatures in the world”.
n its initial submission to the ACCC, Games Workshop described its market as “model kits, tabletop games (including miniature wargames), board games, collectible card games, role-playing games and interactive entertainment games”. They then provided a list of “substitutable products” that runs to two pages long.

Here’s a brief selection: HeroClix, Warmachine, Hordes, Flames of War, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Dominion, Battlecry, Diplomacy, Risk, model trains, model scenery, radio controlled vehicles, Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, StarCraft, The Elder Scrolls (series) and Fallout (series).

From the WargamerAU thread:

quote:

GW recognises the following as substitutable products;

Heroclix, Mage Knight, Star Trek Attack Wing, Monsterapocoloypse, Warmachine, Hordes, Iron Kingdom, Flames of War, Dust, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars X Wing, Dark Crusade, Carcassone, Dominion, Axis and Allies, Battlecry, Diplomacy, Risk, Spartacus, Firefly, plastic model kits, model trains, model scenery, diecast models, millitary action figures, radio controlled vehicles, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Yu-Gi-Oh, Star Wars: The old republic, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, The Eldar Scrolls and Fallout.

"GWOP submits that there is no discernible public detriment in the proposed conduct"

"Consumers remain freely able to buy Hobby Products from a number of other third parties"

"The competitive suppliers listed in the Notification offer similar experiences to GWOP in relation to
Hobby Products and Hobby Activities, however the Hobby Products and Hobby Activities which
customers invest their time and money in are interchangeable. All Hobby Products within the Hobby
Activities market may be substitutable for one another."

"To give an example, "Magic: The Gathering" (as referenced in section S(a)(iv)(A)(l) of the
Notification) is a very popular collectible card game produced by Wizards of the Coast (a subsidiary
of Hasbro) and sold by almost every Trade Account of GWOP. It is sold in the form of starter decks
of cards, booster packs of cards, and individual cards. The cards are collected to form "decks" which
are used to play in competitive game against opponents. These cards directly compete with the
products sold by GWOP."

I can only hope Hasbro takes the same view and buys them out to give us RISK: 40K. GW's plan seems to be as idiotic as Chancellor Palaptine's was in Episode 1.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 13, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Comstar posted:

I can only hope Hasbro takes the same view and buys them out to give us RISK: 40K. GW's plan seems to be as idiotic as Chancellor Palaptine's was in Episode 1.

Hey! I have a copy of Clone Wars RISK. The rules sorta pan out like the Horus Heresy board game, except it doesn't take half a decade to play the game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Comstar posted:

Edit- Ah, this was discussed 7 pages ago, but the article below was only from yesterday. Apologies for the late news to everyone else. More coverage in the WargamerAU thread

Games Workshop secretly moves to cut off Australian online retailers from selling to Australia, by telling the ACCC that RISK and Fallout:New Vegas are the same thing.

God I cant wait for them to die off.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Again, from what I can tell anything that GW does in Australia/NZ from here on out is pretty much immaterial at this point. That part of the world is already dead for them in terms of expansion and growth. The US and Canada aren't going to be very far behind for much longer, either, and I'm sure Europe is going to be looking rather iffy before too long as well.

Which is what I suspect GW really wants to see happen, to be honest. I truly think Kirby and co. want to just retreat and re-entrench themselves as a primarily UK-only company. And the drat thing is, that wouldn't be the dumbest move they could make. Shutting down their (largely failed, money-draining) global retail operations would actually be a smart cost-cutting measure. However, the problem with their doing something like that seems to be that A)they are assuming all people who used to shop at a local GW store that was closed (or a FLGS that no longer carries GW products) will just move right on over to the GW online store; and B)whether or not the shareholders will look on approvingly if GW were to close down the retail operations outside the UK (meaning, if they approve of it as a cost-cutting measure), or if they would revolt (because GW would effectively be going from the global market leader to the corner hobby shop).

That's all pure speculation on my part of course, I hasten to add. :v:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Comstar posted:

I like how this directly contradicts everything they've said lately about their product being unique.

Also looks like somebody has done some market research.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Thats hilarious.

"Our product is one-of a kind jewel. Want to buy our product? Why don't you buy this video game instead?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah, so the reason why my ships fly so poorly in x-wing is because they're crewed by skulls.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
"Physical stores support the hobby." Since canceling gaming at Games Day and not supporting tournaments among other things can GW legitimately bitch about web stores not supporting the hobby? Wankers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Indolent Bastard posted:

"Physical stores support the hobby." Since canceling gaming at Games Day and not supporting tournaments among other things can GW legitimately bitch about web stores not supporting the hobby? Wankers.

Im not sure how a 1 day event is the same as having no-where to play at all but keep on trucking.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

GW recognises the following as substitutable products;

Heroclix, Mage Knight, Star Trek Attack Wing, Monsterapocoloypse, Warmachine, Hordes, Iron Kingdom, Flames of War, Dust, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars X Wing, Dark Crusade, Carcassone, Dominion, Axis and Allies, Battlecry, Diplomacy, Risk, Spartacus, Firefly, plastic model kits, model trains, model scenery, diecast models, millitary action figures, radio controlled vehicles, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Yu-Gi-Oh, Star Wars: The old republic, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, The Eldar Scrolls and Fallout.

To be fair this is true cuz you could be spending your time playing these other games which are good instead of 40k/WFB which is bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

To be fair this is true cuz you could be spending your time playing these other games which are good instead of 40k/WFB which is bad.

Traditional Games > GW Death Pool 2014/2015 - Model Trains; GW endorsed replacement for Warhammer

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

As cool as that model looks, I'm pretty sure it's only a one-off for their old Apocalypse board and if they ever did sell it as a collector's piece, you could probably buy one of everything that Forgeworld produce for a similar price.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

All those skulls...!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

serious gaylord posted:

Im not sure how a 1 day event is the same as having no-where to play at all but keep on trucking.

There is a single GW store in my country and my FLGS where I normally buy my mans don't bother having gaming tables for anything other than MtG. So there is literally no way for me to go to a store and buy miniatures to support the store letting me play there.

And since when did people play at GW stores? Aren't they one-man stores with only a few 4x4 feet tables for display purposes now? The few I've been to in Oslo, Copenhagen and Barcelona certainly were.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope they are using authentic human skulls mined from castle grey skull to power that thing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Not a viking posted:

There is a single GW store in my country and my FLGS where I normally buy my mans don't bother having gaming tables for anything other than MtG. So there is literally no way for me to go to a store and buy miniatures to support the store letting me play there.

And since when did people play at GW stores? Aren't they one-man stores with only a few 4x4 feet tables for display purposes now? The few I've been to in Oslo, Copenhagen and Barcelona certainly were.

Exactly, If you want to have a go at them for not supporting the hobby go down that route. Also lol that I've made someone mad enough to spend money.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hahahaha, nice whoever gave him that text.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Going by the photo, I counted 39 and that's just a side-view of the drat thing. There'll at least be another 39, probably more assuming there's some on the back and top of the train that we can't see.

Not a viking posted:

All the GW stores I've seen have been exactly that, and there's usually LotR, 40k and WFB starter sets taking up 3 out of the 4 tables. Then again, I am in a country full of convicts guilty of buying poo poo from overseas to avoid $83 hardback codexes :australia:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

About five years ago the local GW was the place to go to play. There were 5-6 tables, tons of varied terrain, and a lot of people would show up for pick up games or just to shoot the poo poo. Then they reduced the staff down to a one man, closed the store for two days a week (and for like an hour during the day when the guy has to take lunch), and there's like one table for people to play non demo games on. I have no idea why you would want to support that rather than find a place online to buy stuff for a discount or get second hand stuff off ebay.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I wish s scale trains were common so I could make a combination train set/wargaming table

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

serious gaylord posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? I know your gimmick is that you literally will defend anything GW does, but this can't be for real.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Squat Landtrain, for the forthcoming grand relaunch of squats! :tinfoil:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? I know your gimmick is that you literally will defend anything GW does, but this can't be for real.

I do not think that them not having games at an 6 hour event is them 'not supporting the hobby.'

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phoon posted:

I wish s scale trains were common so I could make a combination train set/wargaming table

Just convert this by putting tons of skulls on it:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/trumpeter-german-railway-gun-k5e-leopold-plastic-model-military-weapon-1:35-scale-00207

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Broken Loose posted:

It was, it is, and it always will be.

serious gaylord posted:

I do not think that them not having games at an 6 hour event is them 'not supporting the hobby.'

I would disagree with that statement.

You can't play games at their premier event, you can't play games at many of their stores and they abandoned giving any support to entire conventions dedicated to their games; but these drat online retailers are damaging the hobby that is Warhammer.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 13, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

serious gaylord posted:

Holy gently caress serious gaylord you actually had me going this entire time.

You're the most dedicated troll since Toblerone Triangular. If you devoted this energy to actually being funny, you could probably make some money!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Our prophet of the end has returned! :hist101:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I clearly showed the imperial version please stop showing heretical pictures of the chaos Slaanesh version.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It was, it is, and it always will be.

I would disagree with that statement.

You can't play games at their premier event, you can't play games at many of their stores and they abandoned giving any support to entire conventions dedicated to their games; but these drat online retailers are damaging the hobby that is Warhammer.

I agree with your post about the conventions. However as I have posted about numerous times, you can play games in their stores, just most of the people in this thread don't want to take part in the small campaigns or big saturday participation games so choose not to.

Numerous indies all complain about the big online retailers as they simply can't compete with their prices, yet get lambasted if they dont provide space for people to play with models often bought elsewhere.

I do not agree with what they're doing in Australia though. Its not the correct way to go about it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I do not agree with what they're doing in Australia though. Its not the correct way to go about it.

Hear hear! I thankfully bought all the GK stuff I'd ever need in one huge order from Maelstrom Games before selling to Australians was 'outlawed'.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If they really wanted to protect the indies in Aus, they'd put the discount level based on the services you offer to the customer like they used to. That way the Indies that ran intros, had gaming space etc would benefit and get a better discount.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

serious gaylord posted:

I agree with your post about the conventions. However as I have posted about numerous times, you can play games in their stores, just most of the people in this thread don't want to take part in the small campaigns or big saturday participation games so choose not to.

Numerous indies all complain about the big online retailers as they simply can't compete with their prices, yet get lambasted if they dont provide space for people to play with models often bought elsewhere.

Good, good. I like this play, right here. Quick deflect without addressing any facts, shift the blame away from The Company (first onto the fans and then onto the retailers), and then a windup pitch straight into the concern troll end line. God drat this is top tier.

There's pretty much no better way I could improve on this, except maybe instead of outright challenging The Company with that ending, take a more subtle approach. "I feel like what they're doing in Australia is [X person who recently left The Company's] parting wish," or maybe even something about it being them trying a risky play in preparation for new leadership?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Not to mention the 'opinions stated as facts'. :golfclap:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah I'm gonna go with BL and believe that gaylord is a massive troll, because frankly the alternative is disgusting and horrifying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You're welcome to believe I'm a troll just because I disagree with the hive mind hatred based on internet hearsay. Feel free.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

serious gaylord posted:

You're welcome to believe I'm a troll just because I disagree with the hive mind hatred based on internet hearsay. Feel free.

holy poo poo 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are we done with the personal attacks now? I'd like to talk about how GW's stock is in utter free fall since their brief recovery.

• Locked thread