Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
So we've been having one or two issues with out rental house in the last couple of weeks. It started out when the shower dumped a bunch of water through the downstairs ceiling. We started using the bath until that began leaking too and the landlord has now had British Gas' Homecare guys out like a half a dozen times to look at stuff. It's turning into a rabbit's nest of problems, aside from the water leaks we have:

On the gas oven that's singed it's own power cord at the back. The electrician came round today to quote for moving the socket and replacing the cord. Whilst he was working in the fusebox he found that the wiring insulation behind the shower circuit breaker had melted, so:

(The red tape is over the hole sawzalled into the cover to fit the breaker in). At least the shower can't leak through the ceiling any more!

Then this evening I get home and the kitchen smells like gas. We call up National Grid who come and cap off our gas supply:

The engineer that was here reckoned when the electrician moved the oven earlier today he fractured the gas pipe behind it. The pipe itself pokes directly out the wall, has a 90* elbow and then about 1.5" of straight pipe before the fitting and has fractured right on the corner. So now we have no shower, no hot water for a bath, and no oven.

I'm putting the deposit down on a new flat tomorrow. :sigh:

*E* If anyone remembers the kitchen socket I posted about in the wiring thread a couple of weeks ago, I now feel confident that it's one of the safest loving things in this place. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

I'm putting the deposit down on a new flat tomorrow. :sigh:

All I can say to that is good luck with the move!

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
I always thought our apartment complex was set up weird and the other night I guess I was right.

Stairways = second story apartments, the thing that is a lake = first story apartments. Everyone in the first story had their carpets taken out today and the whole place reeks of mildew.
Oh, there was also this:

The parking lot was all sorts of hosed up and a bunch of cars got flooded. I guess that's what happens when you have a hill, then a parking lot at an incline next to it?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Basement guest room door where I'm staying this week:

It's a rarely-used guest room so nobody really cares.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A little trim and paint and that doorway would be done, though. Why stop when you're 90% done?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have to think they just got busy and missed that. And then proceeded to try and ignore it for the rest of their life every time they opened and closed the door.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Ran out of money, blew it all on over door towel hooks.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
There was an episode of sweat equity where someone had left every door in their house like that, including the bathrooms.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Nightmare Zone posted:

I always thought our apartment complex was set up weird and the other night I guess I was right.

Sweet, bonus moat! Toss in a few gators or snapping turtles and you got yourself a home defense system. Need to figure out how to retract that drawbridge though.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I have to think they just got busy and missed that. And then proceeded to try and ignore it for the rest of their life every time they opened and closed the door.

In doing this exact thing with a door right now, in my living room. It hasn't been a full year yet, so that's cool, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raised by Hamsters posted:

In doing this exact thing with a door right now, in my living room. It hasn't been a full year yet, so that's cool, right?

Oh dude, if we had a thread for "poo poo you know is wrong in your house that you're loving ignoring" it would be twelve times the length of this thread and six times as scary.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Oh dude, if we had a thread for "poo poo you know is wrong in your house that you're loving ignoring" it would be twelve times the length of this thread and six times as scary.
My living room is fully gutted right now. And by right now I mean since fall :(

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I don't need the shower in the second bedroom

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

My sun room's had a drippy roof for over a year now. :(

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I finally replaced the obviously wrong 25A and 30A fuses in my fusebox with 15A ones so, yeah. Haven't blown them with the same usage of high-ish wattage appliances so I probably haven't been cooking my wires.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
You don't actually NEED a back splash in a kitchen. It's really just for looks, right? (We haven't had one in nearly a year now)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Powerlurker posted:

In Rochester, NY? No way in hell would a house like that sell for 50k.

My landlord offered me her 4 bedroom house with attic and unfinished basement, front & back yard for 20k. I miss Rochester.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Amykinz posted:

You don't actually NEED a back splash in a kitchen. It's really just for looks, right? (We haven't had one in nearly a year now)

If you do any serious cooking, it's really kind of necessary to keep your walls from getting stained from food/grease/etc. Unless you want to go immigrant asian and put up aluminum foil.

*I'm defining serious cooking here as any sort of high heat/frying activities. You can probably get away with it if you only boil? Or braise? I don't know, accidents probably still happen. I've flung sauce across the room once or twice by accident.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rurutia posted:

If you do any serious cooking, it's really kind of necessary to keep your walls from getting stained from food/grease/etc. Unless you want to go immigrant asian and put up aluminum foil.

*I'm defining serious cooking here as any sort of high heat/frying activities. You can probably get away with it if you only boil? Or braise? I don't know, accidents probably still happen. I've flung sauce across the room once or twice by accident.

Any open pan cooking will spatter something at one point. At least you don't live in my apartment where the countertops are literally painted wood :smithicide:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Oh I know, but the wall behind the stove right now is at least painted, and I am going to clean it well and prime it before putting up the tile. We started this renovation last summer, have been doing bits and pieces when we can, and now I'm 37 weeks pregnant so I can't even reach/lean over the counters to do the tile right now. :saddowns: So that will have to wait

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I started making this list and it got kind of depressing, so I'll just post this one:

There's one tile in my shower that was cracked, then used anyway. Like, whoever installed it actually installed the two pieces separately and grouted around them. I don't know if it's because they didn't buy extra tile or if they were just that cheap, but it amuses me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if there's anything wrong with my house (moved in on sunday), mostly just a buncha stuff that still needs doing:

-Trim on the inside of the bathroom, need to get something water resistant like plastic, with a "heel" because the door frame is recessed into the tiled wall on this side.

-Ditto on the sauna door, I got some plastic trim there already I can use though

-Sauna needs to be treated with mineral oil or the wood will go bad

-Put up a mailbox

-Put up lights in the house

-Silicone around sinks

-Hook up the home network

-Unpack shitloads of boxes, lack the room for all of our stuff, need to finish the wardrobes, garage and storage room asap.

-Paint the garage

-Build the terrace

-Some floor and roof molding/trimming still needs putting up

-Lots of logs I need to cut up, split and get organized.

-Start laying the stone puzzle that'll become a retaining wall and separate the lowest part of the yard from the rest

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

His Divine Shadow posted:

-Sauna needs to be treated with mineral oil or the wood will go bad

You can scrub and sand the wood but do not oil or seal the inside surfaces or benches. If it's rotting, you have a drainage or venting problem that needs fixing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nitrox posted:

My living room is fully gutted right now. And by right now I mean since fall :(

I don't even know where to start on the list of poo poo I need to do to my house.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Don't worry, as you start going through the list you'll discover new things to add to the list (or discover tasks that must be done before you can get to the list items)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well the list includes...
repoint 75% of the foundation
rebuild portions of the foundation, replace 24 feet more of rotted sill beams (already did 35 feet)
completely rewire the first floor
finish rewiring the second floor
build a chimney (already knocked down the old one)
put in new floor joists for the master bedroom, the old floor is already out
gut two more rooms (house is almost completely gutted)
insulate and sheetrock everything
new flooring in every room except the living room
new windows
complete kitchen remodel
install a furnace/whole heating system
have the old heating system removed - it's all asbestos insulated or I'd do it myself
remove two layers of old siding (one asbestos cement, one clapboard) from the outside, redo all trim and install vinyl siding, demolish and replace both porches

So yeah, I think I'm a little ahead of you on that, I already know the whole place is hosed :v:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

getting the wiring out of the bushes
getting the phone line unwrapped from the well & properly run from the street
resurfacing flagstone walkway as some of them may as well be soaked in Crisco when it rains
widening the driveway
gravel/asphalt driveway
removing pine trees
replace other half of house's light switches
run ethernet to 2 bedrooms
reinsulate ductwork

Moving to a different house where the road is not dirt, the internet is not limited to lovely DSL and the neighbors aren't assholes/related to my wife.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

kastein posted:

rebuild portions of the foundation, replace 24 feet more of rotted sill beams (already did 35 feet)
new windows
complete kitchen remodel
have the old heating system removed - it's all asbestos insulated or I'd do it myself
remove two layers of old siding (one asbestos cement, one clapboard) from the outside, redo all trim and install vinyl siding, demolish and replace both porches

So yeah, I think I'm a little ahead of you on that, I already know the whole place is hosed :v:

I think you're well beyond the scope of the spirit of "overlooking daily because I don't feel like fixing it".

It makes me feel better about the disaster that I pay a mortgage on when you post though, so please continue. :D

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

new windows
complete kitchen remodel

You forgot the dozer rental. . . Or is that what the 5 ton is for? :suicide:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

You forgot the dozer rental. . . Or is that what the 5 ton is for? :suicide:

No kidding. That's not a fixer-upper, that's a blower-upper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jailbait#3 posted:

You can scrub and sand the wood but do not oil or seal the inside surfaces or benches. If it's rotting, you have a drainage or venting problem that needs fixing.

This is how everyone has treated their saunas for ages in Finland, the product even says sauna bench treatment.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kid sinister posted:

No kidding. That's not a fixer-upper, that's a blower-upper.

I would have, and in fact would love to have a proper poured foundation... but I can't build from scratch while living in it or pull permits for that kind of thing without having an architect/engineer on board. Building a house of theseus, I can.

The next house I build (this is only to build equity, get an idea of how I want a house to be set up, and practice my construction skills) will be done from scratch so I know an idiot built it. I might have the cement work done by a contractor but that's it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My living room and main bathroom floor are bare concrete. I've had the bamboo flooring for the living room sitting there for like 2 years. The bathroom also needs the tile and backer board replaced - it's trying to come down by itself. Tub looks lovely, too, so...
I try not to look at my wavy roof.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I made a big long list a few years ago but I lost it.
Just the very basics though:
-remove the roof from the patio, repair/replace all the joists coming out of the garage under the edge of the patio roof that are rotted, possibly change the angle of the patio roof, replace various joists/beams in the patio structure, replace the patio roof, properly seal it.
-Remove or replace or do something about the uneven concrete slabs of the patio floor
-Add screens and paint the patio
-replace all the ironwork inside the chimney and fireplace, re-seal the fireplace
-strip the red paint off the hearth/chimney brickwork in the LR, or maybe just repaint it or put something over it
-add edging to the wood floor around the hearth where it is all missing
-gut & completely remodel both bathrooms
-gut & remodel the kitchen, including the floor
-tear out the leaking in-ground sprinkler system and the lawn front & back and put in native plants and in-ground trickle/drip watering system
-repair the big dent in the side of the house where we had the tree removed because it was mashing into the house
-replace all the window screens, half of which are missing and the other half of which aren't sized properly
-oh yeah and the cracked bathroom window
-rewire the whole house at some point, including 220 to the garage
-redo most of the drywall because the idiots that did it originally did an incredibly lovely job at every drywall join
-paint the exterior of the house
-probably within the next 5 years or so replace the roof
-replace the sewer line, possibly doing trenchless replacement or possibly tearing out the unhealthy sycamore in the front yard that is directly on top of the sewer line
-new blinds or curtains for every window in the house
-new bathroom doors, new closet doors, they're all hosed, oh and a proper fire door between the dining area and the garage
-insulate & finish the garage
-suck out all the old blown-in insulation in the attic space, put in good insulation, possibly put in flooring to create a storage area up there, put in much better ventilation or a big fan or something? Maybe do this when the roof is replaced
-sell the place and let someone enjoy all the nice work we put into it while we move into another house with just as many new problems and start the cycle all over again argh gently caress

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

My living room and main bathroom floor are bare concrete.

I stayed in a hotel recently where the floor, walls, and ceiling were bare concrete. They were trying to play it off as an aesthetic decision but I can't help but think it was an aesthetic decision made on the basis of cost.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I stayed in a hotel recently where the floor, walls, and ceiling were bare concrete.

How long did it take to make bail?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I stayed in a hotel recently where the floor, walls, and ceiling were bare concrete. They were trying to play it off as an aesthetic decision but I can't help but think it was an aesthetic decision made on the basis of cost.

So how was Sochi?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Darchangel posted:

My living room and main bathroom floor are bare concrete. I've had the bamboo flooring for the living room sitting there for like 2 years. The bathroom also needs the tile and backer board replaced - it's trying to come down by itself. Tub looks lovely, too, so...
I try not to look at my wavy roof.

Concrete nothing, we just had the bare plywood sub floor in our bathroom growing up. Sometime around 1991, my father remodeled the bathroom and never got around to tiling it for another 13(!) years. It would probably still be lacking tile to this day if my mother hadn't insisted it be finished before my wedding.

He finished with 2 days to spare.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

The Glumslinger posted:

So how was Sochi?

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you really must know, it was Hotel Red in Madison, WI.