Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The better football-themed version of Friday Night Lights is Blue Mountain State, of course.

:c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The Knick started yesterday on Cinemax. All episodes directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars Clive Owen.

Outlander airs today on Starz. It's by Ronald D. Moore and the music is by Bear McCreary so there's a little BSG reunion going on.

I watched both of the premieres with the wife last night. Outlander is well done, but so far the writing isn't doing much for me. Good enough to stick around with for a while, though, particularly given the AV Club's review of the whole season. The Knick was just fantastic all the way through, though.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Currently going through The Killing, and it's definitely a hidden gem that's on Netflix.

Halfway through season 2 and it just keeps piling on :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think anyone has ever said that before.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

The better football-themed version of Friday Night Lights is Blue Mountain State, of course.

:c00lbert:

The football wasn't the point though---I honestly don't see how a show centered purely on football could be anything but crashingly boring.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've been watching Hannibal and Twin Peaks recently, and I'm loving both of them. Just started season 2 of Hannibal, and I'm close to the end of the first season of Twin Peaks. It's a drat shame they only got to do two seasons of that show. I might try and find a copy of the Twin Peaks movie too, if it's worth it.

I've got True Detective as well, which I'm gonna start watching as soon as I finish up with Hannibal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
True Detective is so loving GOOOOD. It's one of the few shows where I paid attention to both the story/acting and the cinematography. Beautifully shot and composed.

Astrofig posted:

The football wasn't the point though---I honestly don't see how a show centered purely on football could be anything but crashingly boring.

Haha, I was being ridiculously sarcastic. BMS is a crass football/sex college campus comedy of the MTV-esque generation. I enjoyed it, but even I felt there was too much sex when they should been adding other jokes. And I'm a sex machine.

more to the point, I think a football themed show, whether it is the point or not, will tend to have some forms of hypermasculinity that can be a turnoff for some people. As to your other point,sports in general have a theme of overcoming diversity or some form of communal development - so even a 'pure' sports show would have that human element to play with.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 10, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

kloa posted:

Currently going through The Killing, and it's definitely a hidden gem that's on Netflix.

Is 'hidden gem' a euphemism for steaming pile of crap that the kids are using nowadays? That's the only way this post makes sense.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Drifter posted:

Give The Americans a shot. It's a great show. Really good acting and it's about deep-cover Russian spies in America.

You've probably already seen True Detective. My favorite show of the past year, definitely.

Terriers is a really good show, but it's not recent, although not many people I know have seen it.

Orange is the New Black is kinda lacking in the plotting, but is a pretty fun show.

Mad Men was pretty interesting. It got a bit much in the self pity direction, but I thought it was done really well.

LOVED True Detective, Terriers, Fargo, Hannibal, Arrow, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Twin Peaks, The Shield, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Masters of Sex, Justified, Fringe, Penny Dreadful, Veronica Mars (Seasons 1-2).

LIKED The Americans, Orphan Black, and Homeland (all more for the performances than the plotting), but I'm giving up on Homeland for this upcoming season. Also liked LOST (more often than not), Rome, and Carnivale. Orange Is the New Black was okay -- I jumped in for Season 2, after my wife watched Season 1 without me. No real desire to catch back up. Lost interest in Dexter after Season 2 (which seems like a good move, from everything I've read here), and gave up on The Bridge early in Season 2.

For comedies, LOVED Arrested Development, Childrens Hospital, Comedy Bang Bang, Venture Bros., Party Down. LIKED Parks & Recreation, Louie, and Archer (and I used to love all three, but their last seasons all tried my patience). GAVE UP ON The Office, Community, 30 Rock, and Scrubs -- at some point I just stopped enjoying all of them. WISH I GAVE UP ON How I Met Your Mother. I still watch new SNL out of loyalty, boredom, and the hope they'll sneak one or two good sketches into every episode.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You have a lot of similar shows and levels of enjoyments as I do - except I enjoyed the hell out of Scrubs and the ending of season 8 teared me up like a bitch. I don't talk about season 9. I saw three episodes. :911:

Angel buddy. :unsmith::respek::geno:

You should watch Fargo. God drat is it good. I just finished it up. I mentioned it a page ago.

You should also watch Shameless. It's so loving good.

You watch Fringe yet? It's really good. Really good. it starts out as kinda an X-Files-ish show and then goes amazing. Some people say it had a slow start, but I'd say it just changed plots and structure after a while, for the better.

Suits is a really good show. Some really nice surrounding characters in it.

The Good Wife is one of the best, most entertaining television shows I have seen. It's so good.

Chicago Code I really enjoyed. It's one season but man, it really was great.

I have found myself enjoying Longmire more than I feel I should. I kept watching it while I stopped watching Justified (but Dewey Crow is a better character than many things on TV). It moves at a slower pace, but drat if it doesn't feel like a show about a sheriff in Wyoming. I like the Indian reservation culture aspects, even though I also feel it gets shortshafted a bit. Still, they're there.

The first two seasons of Chuck (and ONLY the first two seasons - unless you thought the last minute of season 2 was interesting to you) I saw a few months ago and thought they were pretty fun. Fun TV, not good TV. It was consistently fun and maintained my enthusiasm.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 10, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'll go against the grain and say the rest of Chuck is fun as well, although season 2 was definitely its peak. Season 3 eventually gets quite good once they grow out of the initial phase of "Chuck flashes on the exact thing he needs to solve the situation". Season 4 is a low point, but it has its moments which I feel still outweigh the dumb parts. In season 5 it's good again, and they knew going in that it was the last season so we get enough closure.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
After a year and a half of on-and-off binge watching I finally managed to finish Buffy and Angel. Then I marathoned through most of Twin Peaks over the last few days. Is it worth watching passed the reveal of Laura's killer (S2E8)? I heard the show just kind of goes downhill after that, I've watched three or four more episodes and while I watched the show far more for the character interactions than the plot, I kind of find myself not really caring.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to list Fringe, which my wife and I watched from December 2013 through to this past May. We loved the characters and their actors, the mythology, and the huge twists, but we slogged our way through the case-of-the-week episodes and the relatively disappointing (to us) Season 5.

I watched X-Files with my dad way back when it aired, but I've never had any interest in revisiting it or catching up on the last season or two that I missed (away at college without a TV).

Jsor, The middle third of Twin Peaks Season 2 is a slog, but it's worth sticking around for the mind-blowing (and extremely frustrating) finale, which David Lynch returned to write and direct.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to list Fringe, which my wife and I watched from December 2013 through to this past May. We loved the characters and their actors, the mythology, and the huge twists, but we slogged our way through the case-of-the-week episodes and the relatively disappointing (to us) Season 5.

I watched X-Files with my dad way back when it aired, but I've never had any interest in revisiting it or catching up on the last season or two that I missed (away at college without a TV).

Jsor, The middle third of Twin Peaks Season 2 is a slog, but it's worth sticking around for the mind-blowing (and extremely frustrating) finale, which David Lynch returned to write and direct.

I had to fight my way through season 1 of Fringe but holy poo poo I am so glad I did. The different intros to let you know what universe you were watching was such a good decision, and the 80's intro with "in vitro fertilization", "cellular communication", "DNA Profiling" etc. was amazing and pretty funny. I actually loved Season 5 because of what a ballsy move it was to turn the show completely on it's head. My only regret was binging it a bit too fast not realizing it was a 12 episode season.

What other show would you get a crazy scientist angrily retorting "Don't you quote Oppenheimer at me!"

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think anyone has ever said that before.

To be fair, I thoroughly enjoyed season 3 of the Killing. I hated the first two seasons, but kept watching for the same reasons one would watch Dexter or most of the programming on ESPN (to hate themselves), and to my surprise, most of season 3 is excellent. Seriously, if you hated first two seasons, but liked the setting and found that Holder was a likeable character, I would recommend it. They introduce a couple of really interesting characters. I'm currently halfway through the new season on Netflix, and it's not that bad either.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

kloa posted:

How does the second compare to the original season? The start of it just seemed quite depressing, really - never saw it the whole way through (the second season, that is; practically marathoned the first with my immediate family, whenever we were all together) surprisingly - especially after s1. I still feel bad for her partner's family after he was so pointlessly shot... :(

EDIT: Hang on hang on, are you referring to the Danish series or an American series of the same name that apparently exists?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

LOVED True Detective, Terriers, Fargo, Hannibal, Arrow, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Twin Peaks, The Shield, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Masters of Sex, Justified, Fringe, Penny Dreadful.

LIKED The Americans, Orphan Black, and Homeland (all more for the performances than the plotting), but I'm giving up on Homeland for this upcoming season. Also liked LOST (more often than not), Rome, and Carnivale. Orange Is the New Black was okay -- I jumped in for Season 2, after my wife watched Season 1 without me. No real desire to catch back up. Lost interest in Dexter after Season 2 (which seems like a good move, from everything I've read here), and gave up on The Bridge early in Season 2.

For comedies, LOVED Arrested Development, Childrens Hospital, Comedy Bang Bang, Venture Bros. LIKED Parks & Recreation, Louie, and Archer (and I used to love all three, but their last seasons all tried my patience). GAVE UP ON The Office, Community, 30 Rock, and Scrubs -- at some point I just stopped enjoying all of them. WISH I GAVE UP ON How I Met Your Mother. I still watch new SNL out of loyalty, boredom, and the hope they'll sneak one or two good sketches into every episode.

Watch party down.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Watch party down.

drat, forgot to include it. It got a little uncomfortably awkward at times, but I generally loved it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
It's a bit different but give Nathan For You a shot. The humour is very "cringe-y" and it may not be for you. I say, give the first 3 episodes a shot and decide from there. It's one of those shows it's best to go in blind and it is more or less "real".

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 14, 2014

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished off Deadwood and started on Carnivale. I've watched the first two episodes and am very intrigued. I'm getting some real Night Watch vibes from the whole mystical powers good vs evil eternal struggle theme as well as the general... gothic? kinda vibe.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just watched all of Looking over the past 24 hours, it was really really good. I was particularly impressed with how quickly the characters came to feel like natural, fully fleshed-out people. Just their relationships with each other and the natural-ness of the dialog in the first episode really made me feel like these people had been hanging out for years and someone just thought to turn the camera on. That's pretty impressive.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished off Deadwood and started on Carnivale. I've watched the first two episodes and am very intrigued. I'm getting some real Night Watch vibes from the whole mystical powers good vs evil eternal struggle theme as well as the general... gothic? kinda vibe.

Wait till you get to Babylon.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

drat, forgot to include it. It got a little uncomfortably awkward at times, but I generally loved it.

Going off this, Buffy, and Terriers, add Veronica Mars to your list.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just finished catching up on The Americans. It's a really good show. I enjoy how all the different factions are sympathetic at times, and totally apalling at others. Although that's probably why Martha has ended up being my favorite character - she's one of the few who is mostly removed from all the awful things the players on both sides of the conflict are doing.

Though I still haven't figured out why she and her strangely familiar husband have their own subplot. They're clearly building up to something with Clark's mysterious job but I just don't know what it is!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Going off this, Buffy, and Terriers, add Veronica Mars to your list.
Dammit, forgot that too. I've watched too many good shows. But I loved Seasons 1 and 2, thought Season 3 was fun but not nearly as good, and loved the movie. So many great actors and characters reading so much great dialogue!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I tore through the last dozen episodes of Chappelle's Show earlier this afternoon. The first season was still pretty funny, but the second was consistently comedy gold from beginning to end. The last three "lost episodes" were really jarring though. Funny still, just off putting compared to the ones that came before it. Really solid show, even if some of the pop culture references are a little bit dated in 2014.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Riosan posted:

The last three "lost episodes" were really jarring though. Funny still, just off putting compared to the ones that came before it.

While I'm unsure of what you know, that was from the cancelled third season where part way through filming Chapelle just.. left. They cobbled it up together as "lost episodes".

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

CaptainHollywood posted:

While I'm unsure of what you know, that was from the cancelled third season where part way through filming Chapelle just.. left. They cobbled it up together as "lost episodes".

Oh, I know the whole bit and the story behind the episodes. It was just a jarring transition to have Rawlings and Murphy up on stage with Dave only to be found in sketches, especially without having any context or explanation in the episodes themselves (not that it's particularly hard to figure out). Not that the sketches weren't pretty good, the episodes as a whole were just sort of odd to watch.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Riosan posted:

Oh, I know the whole bit and the story behind the episodes. It was just a jarring transition to have Rawlings and Murphy up on stage with Dave only to be found in sketches, especially without having any context or explanation in the episodes themselves (not that it's particularly hard to figure out). Not that the sketches weren't pretty good, the episodes as a whole were just sort of odd to watch.

You sort of hit on the exact reason why in your post. In the original episodes Dave would joke in between sketches and sort of set up the sketch and why it was funny from his point of view. A lot of the time it sort of set it up properly so there was at least a little context. Rawlings and Murphy didn't really have that same point of view though so they just end up watching the sketch and introducing it by saying something like "isn't it weird when this thing happens?? Here's a sketch about that thing."

Chapelle should Rffitrax that season.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My wife and I finished True Detective awhile back based on recommendations and really enjoyed it. Episode 5 had so much going on in it that I was surprised they managed to fit it all in. Definitely my favorite episode except for maybe the finale. I'm excited to see where the second season goes.

After that, we marathon'd through The Newsroom based on seeing Jeff Daniels up for an Emmy and I have to say I'm glad I didn't read anything critics (or the forums) said before doing so, because we both loved it. It's a very fast-paced show that revisits the news stories of the past few years in an interesting way. The love stories go a little overboard (and I honestly can't tell if the Jim-Maggie plot is intended to be the exact Jim-Pam plot from the office or not) and the title sequence is blah (though the second season's is a little better). And apparently (according to what I've read) there's lots of other problems like the newscaster only attacking Republicans or the portrayal of women on the show. The show also receives a lot of sneers because they have the benefit of already knowing how to ideally respond to the news stories because they've already happened years ago, and thus can't really do anything wrong. In spite of all that, the show is a blast to watch and I can't wait for the next season. Episodes 5-7 of season two (The Red Team 1-3) had the feel of a horror movie, which was really interesting, given the environment.

I'm not trying to start a debate here (searching through mentions in other threads it seems to be almost universally hated here), but just wanted to weigh in and say that I actually enjoyed it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just watched the first season of Hemlock Grove. I didn't really care for it, I thought the plot was kind of all over the place at times and it seemed like they just didn't want to expand on the shows mythology very much. Is the second season any better or should I just move onto something else? I'm looking for something to scratch that Supernatural itch and Hemlock Grove isn't really doing it for me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Byclops girl bothered me no end. Only watching for Famke now

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Starting on Planet Earth tonight. Should be good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mastajake posted:

The Newsroom I actually enjoyed it.

I will fight you.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Can't seem to find a thread but is anyone actually watching Ray Donovan? As far as currently running shows go it's probably the only one that I'm genuinely hanging out for every week. Definitely a binge worthy season 1 (and season 2 is currently 7 episodes in).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crappers posted:

Can't seem to find a thread but is anyone actually watching Ray Donovan? As far as currently running shows go it's probably the only one that I'm genuinely hanging out for every week. Definitely a binge worthy season 1 (and season 2 is currently 7 episodes in).

I've seen ads that were pretty wishy washy and didn't explain what was happening. What's it about?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wasted potential, mostly.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been going through Freaks and Geeks and loving it. Really cliched storylines, but the actors make it seem different - they've really captured the reality of being out of place at school without being completely weird.

Also I've seen the actor who plays Bill in so many things as an adult and it took me ages to realise it was him - great actor.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Greyish Orange posted:

I've been going through Freaks and Geeks and loving it. Really cliched storylines, but the actors make it seem different - they've really captured the reality of being out of place at school without being completely weird.

Also I've seen the actor who plays Bill in so many things as an adult and it took me ages to realise it was him - great actor.

I like to imagine he grows up, changes his name, moves to Silicon Valley on HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

homo punching bag posted:

I've seen ads that were pretty wishy washy and didn't explain what was happening. What's it about?

Basically Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber) doing odds and ends for various rich rear end holes. Probably a terrible comparison but it makes me think of what would happen if a GTA protagonist got themselves a TV series (maybe with less random murder). He also has a very interesting family, in particular this fellow:

I went into the show not really knowing anything about it but I guess more than anything I just really enjoy some of the characters. From the latest episode (7), this isn't a plot spoiler but it's a great little character moment that's probably best left unspoiled but if you don't care that much: Ray letting loose with his son at the end after such a heavy episode was just the icing on the cake for me. Best ep of the series I'd say.