Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

quote:
Refunds are only allowed within 5 days before the event or if technical issues cause the stream to fail for more than 95% the event.

:laffo: jesus they aren't even trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Who are some great, smaller brawlers worth watching?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

How the heck does HHH mist water out of his mouth like that? I gave it a shot while playing outside with my kid and it makes no sense to me.

Mostly a trick with the lighting, when you spit out water there are a lot of fine particles you dont see in daylight that the lights catch easily

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

shibata.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Does Jerry Lawler count?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Xerzes posted:

Does Jerry Lawler count?

Actually at that point Jackie Fargo's a decent one as well.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Have there ever been any wrestlers who work a style completely contrary to their body type? Like a short scrawny guy working like a giant? I know there are examples of big guys doing some of the more "small guy" type moves like Brock and his SSP but I'd find it really amusing to see a guy like DBD acting like Big Show or something.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hurricane.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

400+ pound Vader doing aerial moves all the time is probably peak Guy Not Working His Size. I can't believe he had knees past 1990.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Any matches I should check out in particular?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

AlmightyPants posted:

Have there ever been any wrestlers who work a style completely contrary to their body type? Like a short scrawny guy working like a giant? I know there are examples of big guys doing some of the more "small guy" type moves like Brock and his SSP but I'd find it really amusing to see a guy like DBD acting like Big Show or something.

He didn't do a lot of top rope or flashy stuff but I always thought Barry Windham was shockingly mobile when I was a kid. He's sort of like a really big spider where he just can suddenly zip around a room all of a sudden. It made him a good character because instead of being another huge supertall dude who uses a lot of holds (see:some of his stable mates) he was more of a guy with old school wrestling style but attitude era unpredictability.

Edit: And he was once billed as being FROM THE ENVIROMENT which is a great place for a bad "crazy ex-army guy who murders people" gimmick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Be sure to check out the Year in Quotes articles near the bottom.

EDIT: Watching Attitude-era episodes of Raw on the Network, did anyone else find it hilarious when they'd do a wide shot of the plywood/cyclone fence/steel drum/spraypaint interview background and you'd see the swanky craft service table right next to it?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I miss The Hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yusWypGq5Gc

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God-drat, Noble posted HIGH for that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Willie Mack.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

AlmightyPants posted:

Gillberg I guess?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Crash Holly

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sionistic posted:

Crash Holly

But his style was perfectly in line with his body type. He was a superheavyweight, after all :colbert:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sionistic posted:

Mostly a trick with the lighting, when you spit out water there are a lot of fine particles you dont see in daylight that the lights catch easily

See that's what I thought and then I saw his ice bucket challenge video and it seems like normal daylight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's also been doing it for 20 years.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Well, fourteen, but still.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gaz-L posted:

He's also been doing it for 20 years.

They should add Master of the Ptui to Triple H's endless list of monickers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

They should add Master of the Ptui to Triple H's endless list of monickers

The Iron Sheik begs to differ.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Iron Sheik begs to differ.

Shieky Baby is master of the Hock-Tui.

Triple H is just doing a lazy homage.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's also not so much that he's spitting it but blowing it out really hard.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
From 7 pages ago:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sami Zayn said that he came out well despite being trained by a wrestler who wasn't very good. Wasn't he trained by THE WALL BROTHER?

Shima Honnou posted:

The Wall (Brother), Savio Vega, and some other guy.

The third guy is someone named Patrick "Patty the Kid" Smart, apparently. The only info I can find on this guy is from a comment in this reddit thread on the article where Zayn mentioned the trainer:

quote:

Patty the Kid wrestled for Paul Leduc's FLQ in Montreal. He was about 6ft, 180lbs and wasn't very good. Never made it past curtain jerking level..

That's all the info I can find on this person. All other searching just brings up articles about Zayn/Generico listing him as his trainer. Weirder still, the source Wikipedia uses for Smart being one of his trainers doesn't mention anything about Generico's trainers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Generico (citation "[1]")
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/bios/e/el-generico/

Someone else in that reddit thread mentioned that Zayn "said on Cabana's podcast he was never trained by Savio Vega."

Weird stuff.

Switching gears, two questions:

-The whole trend(?) of backyard wrestling that seemed to happen with the Attitude Era seemed to be exclusively a US thing. Did other countries ever have to deal with teenagers doing dangerous wrestling-inspired poo poo in their backyards? Like, did AJPW or whatever have to put a "don't try this at home" disclaimer after some teens started doing burning hammers on their porches or whatnot?

-Were there ever any big heel/face turns in AJPW/NJPW, or do they not do stuff like that? I'm thinking along the lines of "moments" that caused the crowd to flip out, like Seth Rollins taking out Ambrose and Reigns with the chair or when Bryan slipped out of Bray's finisher and took off that Wyatt outfit.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Why did Ric Flair go back to WCW in 1993 and why didn't he go back to the WWF when he was hating WCW so much by the end of the 90s?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Spikeguy posted:

Why did Ric Flair go back to WCW in 1993 and why didn't he go back to the WWF when he was hating WCW so much by the end of the 90s?

1) Jim Herd was out of power and Bill Watts was able to convince him back after reruns of Flair matches did better ratings than regular WCW programming.

2) There were talks in '98 or so, but quite a few people in WWF (one of whom was HHH) were rather vocal about not wanting him there due to his age.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

There were talks in '98 or so, but quite a few people in WWF (one of whom was HHH) were rather vocal about not wanting him there due to his age.

But isn't HHH a huge Flair mark? I mean: Evolution. That seems really weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Vince told him he was no longer going to be used as a top guy and Flair wanted to still be used as a top guy. There were no hard feelings. In 98 he wanted to go, he was close to leaving (if the legal situation would work out that way) but he ended up re-signing and has said how much he regrets that decision.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nick_326 posted:

From 7 pages ago:

-Were there ever any big heel/face turns in AJPW/NJPW, or do they not do stuff like that? I'm thinking along the lines of "moments" that caused the crowd to flip out, like Seth Rollins taking out Ambrose and Reigns with the chair or when Bryan slipped out of Bray's finisher and took off that Wyatt outfit.

NJPW absolutely. I haven't seen enough AJPW outside of classic '90s rivarlies to say.

All of the big heel stables in NJPW (Bullet Club, Suzuk/Kojima-gun, and formerly CHAOS before they became tweeners and eventually faces) have featured big turns. Bullet Club especially provides good examples of this as they tons of western style heel schtick and are now essentially the new NWO.

Can't find it on YT or DM anymore, but Devitt turned on his Apollo 55 partner Ryusuke Taguchi at Invasion Attack 2013 which was the prelude to him forming the Bullet Club.

The next month at Dontaku, the Bullet Club was formed when Karl Anderson and Tama Tonga turned heel to join forces with Devitt and Fale.

At this year's Wrestling Dontaku, CHAOS member Yujiro Takahashi turned on Okada to cost him the match and the championship against new Bullet Club member AJ Styles.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Here's one.

What was the general pre-Invasion feeling on what way the Austin storyline was heading? Did people see the "I need the OLD Stone Cold" stuff as an admission of failure on WWE's part and that they were basically doing an about-face, or were people aware (or wary) that the Austin heel run was set to continue on the Alliance side of things after the one-week face turn?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I honestly hate how that heel run gets crapped on, since man, that stuff was awesome. Austin was perfect as a dude who had lost all his confidence once he couldn't put away Rock under his own power, so he was hanging on by a thread by whatever means he could.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm 100% behind that heel run just because "The Two-Man Power Trip" is such a cool name for a tag team.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I honestly hate how that heel run gets crapped on, since man, that stuff was awesome. Austin was perfect as a dude who had lost all his confidence once he couldn't put away Rock under his own power, so he was hanging on by a thread by whatever means he could.

Austin himself is great, the only real problem creatively is they basically had nothing for him. When HHH decided not to turn heel they were left with Undertaker and Kane as his first challengers and it's poo poo.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
When's the last Great CM Punk match? Is it this really neat thing I'm watching on the Network (for 9.99!!!) at Summerslam 2013?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Mukaikubo posted:

When's the last Great CM Punk match? Is it this really neat thing I'm watching on the Network (for 9.99!!!) at Summerslam 2013?

He has some ok singles matches with the Shield but Lesnar was the last really good match he had before his injuries finally caught up with him.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah. He had some Good matches vs the Shield and Wyatts at the end of 2013.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

Austin himself is great, the only real problem creatively is they basically had nothing for him. When HHH decided not to turn heel they were left with Undertaker and Kane as his first challengers and it's poo poo.

babyface*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZL8wC8czg

This is amazing, all of it. I'd never even heard of this, I just randomly found it this evening. Why is he doing this? And why did people let him do it the whole show?