Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

black.lion posted:

So a lower HRC is just straight up a sign of lower quality? Like, there's no reason someone would have a preference for lower HRC knives over higher HRC?

Depends on who you ask. Lower HRC means that your edge is more obtuse which means you're more chiseling and wedging food apart than cutting it. It also means the edge kind of flops over as you use it which is why you need to hone them a lot. Some people like that because it means that the blade doesn't chip as easily (high HRC also means more brittle, often)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Fascinating - so I looked it up and the model of Global I have is the Hollow Ground 7in. Santoku which says it has Molybdenum and Valadium, but says nothing about Chromium - should it, or is the "Chromium blend" mentioned earlier something that won't be noted in the product description? They always do mention the "prominent 1/4 inch VERY ACUTE" edge - is this just marketing bullshit or is a "wider" or "deeper" edge actually a thing that matters in terms of a thinner slice? I mean I can imagine how a wider edge would allow a more acute angle created, but if that really made a noticeable difference, why wouldn't all knives have a wider (deeper?) edge to make a more acute angle?

My cutting style is a sort of push-slide-cut, so I slide the knife forward and push the heel down, and then raise the heel and bring it backwards - makes a sort of oval motion. I also like my knives pretty deep, otherwise I tend to bang my knuckles down into my cutting board. If I were to replace this knife sometime in the future, is there a shape of knife that is more suited to that sort of movement?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Global's proprietary blend is called CroMoVa, for chromium, molybdenum, an vanadium. That particular steel reacts to potassium, so cutting bananas and plantains turn them purple/black.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

black.lion posted:

If I were to replace this knife sometime in the future, is there a shape of knife that is more suited to that sort of movement?

Chinese cleaver will accomodate this motion rather well if I am understanding your description properly.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

This thread was immensely helpful for me today. I'd posted in the general questions thread about knives as I had a Global and a couple of Mundial knives lined up.
Managed to get the following for around my price point:
Tojiro DP 24cm Chef's
Tojiro DP 15cm utility
Tojiro DP 9cm Paring

Pretty keen for them to arrive, my lovely target block has been driving me up the wall lately

Edit: will a mac ceramic steel with 1200 grit be OK for steeling? or should I look for something smoother?

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 8, 2014

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Global's proprietary blend is called CroMoVa, for chromium, molybdenum, an vanadium. That particular steel reacts to potassium, so cutting bananas and plantains turn them purple/black.

Weird, I've never had that happen with my global santoku. For the record, the 7" santoku is the only global knife I've liked the ergonomics of. Currently I use mine as kind of an emergency line knife/beater or for citrus/pineapple which wreak havoc on my carbon gyuto. It takes a pretty decent edge, it just doesn't hold it for super long. Also I'm just kind of over the santoku shape and want something with about an inch more length to replace it, probably either a 210mm gyuto or petty.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

This is exactly the one that I have and it works really well. Just don't drop it.

Question: I'd like to get a slicing knife specifically for slicing grilled/roasted meat very thin (1/4 - 1/8"). I have a Shun chef's knife that will get the job done but I have gotten to the point where I realize I am slicing so much stuff I really need a knife specific to the job. I don't know anything about the nuances of slicing knives- anyone have any recommendations? Max budget of $100 or so but I'd spend more if I was getting something amazing.

Late response but here goes anyway. You could go for a sujihiki of some variety, which is basically Japan's interpretation of the western style slicer and, I think, a little more versatile. I've got this carbon suji from Fujiwara and for the money I think it's pretty great. Never had any issues with rusting, takes a nice aggressive edge. I use it for slicing cooked steaks, breaking down and portioning fish, and other random cutting work in a pinch. I'd say you want at least a 240mm, whichever maker you go with, and a lot of people will go for 270mm if they've got the room. You want it long enough so that you can ideally slice whatever you're cutting with a single stroke. The only downside I'd say with that fujiwara is that its factory edge isn't all that great, so if you don't/can't sharpen knives at home you might want to look elsewhere.

Anemone Thief: yeah that ceramic steel should be fine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That fujiwara is sk5 right? Does it stink/stain? I'm tempted but I've heard that alloy can transfer some oxidized flavors to raw foods.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've never had an issue with it but I never really use it for acidic stuff, mostly just breaking down tons of fish and slicing hella steaks. It does stink a bit when sharpening but not particularly more than my iron-clad blue #1 gyuto.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I've been using my Kanetsune santoku for about 3 years now and I'm very happy with it, but would like a decent paring or petty knife to go with it for around $50-60 (£30-40).

Any suggestions?

My Kanetsune, 'cos everyone likes pics:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Raikiri posted:

I've been using my Kanetsune santoku for about 3 years now and I'm very happy with it, but would like a decent paring or petty knife to go with it for around $50-60 (£30-40).

Any suggestions?
Dojo.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm going to start cooking for myself, but as someone who doesn't know how to cook, I have no idea what kind of knives I should use for preparation (I'm starting with Chinese food cookbooks, if that helps). I've been looking around Amazon for babby's first (multipurpose) knives.

Should I go with a couple santoku/gyutou knives?

Would a Chinese chef knife cover the multipurpose-ness?

Or should I just get a chef/utility/paring knife set to start off with?

I don't want to spend too much because I want to learn with these, so these links are what I've found on Amazon so far. Also I'm a college student and don't want to spend too much.

The 3-knife set, a couple santoku knives and a Chinese chef knife (I think).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A Chinese chef knife should function pretty much the same as a regular chef knife, or any of the western style Japanese ones. It just comes down to what you like better out of those, to be honest.

A chef knife and a paring knife is pretty much all you need. If you're just learning I'd probably get a set instead of dropping twice the cost of the set on just 1 knife. Then once you have some experience get some nicer knives. It's hard to recommend anything specific to someone totally new because most of the function on those knives you linked is the same and it kind of just comes down to what you like in your hand more.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm going to start cooking for myself, but as someone who doesn't know how to cook, I have no idea what kind of knives I should use for preparation (I'm starting with Chinese food cookbooks, if that helps). I've been looking around Amazon for babby's first (multipurpose) knives.

Should I go with a couple santoku/gyutou knives?

Would a Chinese chef knife cover the multipurpose-ness?

Or should I just get a chef/utility/paring knife set to start off with?

I don't want to spend too much because I want to learn with these, so these links are what I've found on Amazon so far. Also I'm a college student and don't want to spend too much.

The 3-knife set, a couple santoku knives and a Chinese chef knife (I think).

I usually point my friends towards a Victorinox 8 inch chef's knife and paring knife if they're looking to start working with (somewhat) decent knives.

I think you can pick up both for under 40 online.

The knives are decently sharp, and stainless steel, so you don't need to go (as) crazy about how you store them. You can use them to learn the basics, and after using them for a while you'll get a feeling for how you like to cut things and what kind of handle you want. Then you can either decide what kind of knife you want to put serious money in, or you'll be happy with the Victorinox

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm considering picking up a petty/utility knife. I'm just a home cook, and I love my chef's knife, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a smaller knife for smaller, quick tasks. (I do have a paring knife, one of the Victorinox ones, but it's a much smaller blade -- 3 1/4".) I'm looking at a few options, and would appreciate some more knowledgeable folks weighing in.

1. Tojiro DP petty, $47 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWH8

2. Global utility, $58 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JMI96Q

3. Mac Professional utility, $70 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQS

4. Some other knife

5. You're an idiot, just use your chef's knife

Mac makes some cheaper utility knives too, but they aren't that much cheaper -- around $58 -- and they don't have a bolster, which seems like something I might care about for a knife of this length.

Shun has a utility knife that's roughly the cost of the Tojiro (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ83I22) but I don't really understand all the different Shun lines and I'm guessing for the money it's not great? I don't know. I wasn't really looking at Global until I realized they had a knife in the middle of that range, and from what I've read here the main knock on Global is pricing, not quality, so I thought I'd throw it in the mix.

Thoughts? I tend to prefer to order from Amazon for reasons of convenience and shipping, which I realize will mean some brands (like the Dojo mentioned above) won't be represented.

guppy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

Thoughts? I tend to prefer to order from Amazon for reasons of convenience and shipping, which I realize will mean some brands (like the Dojo mentioned above) won't be represented.

Shuns are only disliked in here because they're expensive I think? I don't know but I have a Shun chef knife and I love it (got it for like 60% off so that helps). For half off I'd probably snatch that Shun Sora Utility.

That said a utility knife is pretty situational; as in you probably won't need it much at all once you get better with a chef knife.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

I'm considering picking up a petty/utility knife. I'm just a home cook, and I love my chef's knife, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a smaller knife for smaller, quick tasks. (I do have a paring knife, one of the Victorinox ones, but it's a much smaller blade -- 3 1/4".) I'm looking at a few options, and would appreciate some more knowledgeable folks weighing in.

1. Tojiro DP petty, $47 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWH8

2. Global utility, $58 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005JMI96Q

3. Mac Professional utility, $70 - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQS

4. Some other knife

5. You're an idiot, just use your chef's knife

Mac makes some cheaper utility knives too, but they aren't that much cheaper -- around $58 -- and they don't have a bolster, which seems like something I might care about for a knife of this length.

Shun has a utility knife that's roughly the cost of the Tojiro (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ83I22) but I don't really understand all the different Shun lines and I'm guessing for the money it's not great? I don't know. I wasn't really looking at Global until I realized they had a knife in the middle of that range, and from what I've read here the main knock on Global is pricing, not quality, so I thought I'd throw it in the mix.

you'd be fine with any of those, don't overthink it. I love my macs, hate globals personally. I also don't see the point in a utility knife - I'm fine with a pairing and santoku or chef's knife. but if you want a utility knife, treat yourself dawg. ain't no rules in cutlery other than 'it better be sharp' and 'if you like it, use it'. I think you cover both bases with all your options. If it were me, I'd go with shun, because I think I like the quality of their knives and don't currently own one.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
anyone heard of the masanobu line of kitchen knives?

a friend is trying to sell me his gyuto and a paring knife (both damascus)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

db franco posted:

anyone heard of the masanobu line of kitchen knives?

a friend is trying to sell me his gyuto and a paring knife (both damascus)

Looks like they're VG10. It's probably not really damascus, most likely etched. Prices online look kind of silly expensive for a VG10 knife. VG10 is what Tojiro uses, too, and they're sub 100 new.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In the vein of the chef and paring knife pair and Victorinox, I'm looking at this set, but I'm a little worried about the size of the paring knife. Is there a such thing as too small a paring knife, or is this typical?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That Old Ganon posted:

In the vein of the chef and paring knife pair and Victorinox, I'm looking at this set, but I'm a little worried about the size of the paring knife. Is there a such thing as too small a paring knife, or is this typical?

That's about how small my paring knife at work is (mine is 4"). Just another preference thing really but 3.25" for a paring knife is fine imo.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Looks like they're VG10. It's probably not really damascus, most likely etched. Prices online look kind of silly expensive for a VG10 knife. VG10 is what Tojiro uses, too, and they're sub 100 new.

for the price I'd be surprised if they weren't real damascus... right?

I'll have a look at Tojiro too. I've heard Shun isn't bad either (per Alton Brown's rec).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

db franco posted:

I'll have a look at Tojiro too. I've heard Shun isn't bad either (per Alton Brown's rec).

that's the thing. there really is no such thing as "real" damascus in modern knives. Shun's are etched, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

db franco posted:

The secret of making real Damascus steel has been lost to time. Most of the time 'Damascus Steel' in reference to modern steel just means it has the design.

I like my Shun. I looked up 'alton brown shun' and watched his youtube video, it's funny that a lot of the comments go 'Shuns suck, every one I've seen has a broken tip or a bunch of chips' because that just clearly means people are really bad at taking care of their knives. Not really the knife's fault if you break the loving tip off haha.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 18, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I want to start cooking more fish, but my knives are all terrible and not up to the task of filleting. Are there any good, relatively cheap knives anyone recommends?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Victorinox is good and cheap

americong
May 29, 2013

I just got some Amazon giftcard money and I'm wanting to upgrade from my literally serrated chef's knife. I'm pretty enthused with the idea of a CCK, but those don't appear to be available on Amazon. Is that correct?

I guess secondarily, I'm looking for a reasonable college-student setup for <60 from Amazon. I'll look through the Victorinox stuff.

I'm vegetarian, so the CCK seems really appropriate for all the veggie chopping I do, but I can of course continue to work with a Western knife.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You could get a Tojiro Carbon Nakiri. Its not as hefty as the CCK, but it'll be able to take a razor sharp edge, and I love nakiri for veg prep, almost as much as my cleaver.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2014

americong
May 29, 2013

You could get a Tojiro Carbon Nakiri. Its not as hefty as the CCK, but it'll be able to take a razor sharp edge, and I love nakiri for veg prep, almost as much as my cleaver.

What sort of motion do you use for that? And will it require significantly more or less mainenance than the Fibrox?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

americong posted:

What sort of motion do you use for that? And will it require significantly more or less mainenance than the Fibrox?

You can rock chop or push cut with it, as far as maintenance, just keep it dry. Carbon really isn't that hard to take care of, but a victorinox would be much less maintenance.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Don't you also have to oil carbon occasionally?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Some people do, I don't. Just keep it dry, cut plenty of onions, and develop a patina.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

Don't you also have to oil carbon occasionally?

I never do, you just have to be obsessive about making sure there's no moisture on it when you put it away.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I recently had to #6000 the rust spots off my gyutou, so no one is joking about being really anal about drying carbon steel.

That said sharpening every knife in the house may make your roommates slightly edgy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Some people do, I don't. Just keep it dry, cut plenty of onions, and develop a patina.
Embrace the patina

americong
May 29, 2013

Being incredibly boring as I am, I just wasn't sold enough on the Eastern knives available and went with a Victorinox 8 incher and a Victorinox paring.

Now, to see whether I can keep nice knives nice!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Thanks to the advice of this thread, I bought myself a Tojiro DP.

Good lord this thing is sharp out of the box! Are waterstones going to be the best way to keep this thing strong for murdering tomatoes?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Spuckuk posted:

Thanks to the advice of this thread, I bought myself a Tojiro DP.

Good lord this thing is sharp out of the box! Are waterstones going to be the best way to keep this thing strong for murdering tomatoes?

Waterstones are fine, but remember that sharpening is very different from honing, and you'll be doing it a lot less often. Honing is an "every time" thing done on your honing rod. If you want to get into sharpening, the OP has some resources, but most people don't sharpen their own.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Left my Tojiro DP chef's at my brother's accidentally... he returns it with a chip.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

gently caress it, gonna gift it to him chip and all, I've been CCK convert for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

Left my Tojiro DP chef's at my brother's accidentally... he returns it with a chip.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

gently caress it, gonna gift it to him chip and all, I've been CCK convert for a while now.

Was the chip too big to grind off?

• Locked thread