Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Going by the episode listing- it was around season 15 I gave up on the show. That's where I stop recognizing episodes by titles. I've seen MAX 10-15 episodes after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

raditts posted:

On The Price is Right, people outbid other people all the time by adding a dollar to whatever the last bid was, but I think today is the first time I've ever seen someone bid a dollar less than someone else. Drew Carey was speechless, like he wanted to tell the guy how loving stupid that was but he wasn't allowed to.

As someone with only a passing familiarity with the show, can someone explain why this is a boneheaded thing to do? I love dumb game show bets and I want in on this one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ninjahedgehog posted:

As someone with only a passing familiarity with the show, can someone explain why this is a boneheaded thing to do? I love dumb game show bets and I want in on this one.

The goal is to be the closest to the price without going over. Being one dollar below someone means it's impossible for you to win unless you guessed it exactly right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Because how The Price is Right works is that you're trying to bid on an amount without going over, so bidding one dollar UNDER someone else's bid means the only way you can win is if you're exactly right. The two dick moves are bidding one dollar over someone else or just bidding one dollar.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

The trick is to guess as close to the price of said washer/dryer/deepfryer/what-have-you without going over. Guessing one dollar higher than the previous high guess "claims" all the space above you, infinitely. Guessing one dollar below a person's bid means that literally the only time you win is if you are exactly correct.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ninjahedgehog posted:

You want to get closest to the retail price without going over.

If the price of the item is 800 dollars, and someone bids 750 bucks, you have guaranteed yourself a loss if you bet 749 bucks. The odds of you being correct are not good at all. Which is why in those situations, people always bid a dollar more to shut that person out.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Four contestants are asked to bid on an item (A Bike for example). The person who gets the closest without going over wins the prize and makes it to the next round.

Contestant 1: $500

Contestant 2: $700

Contestant 3: $950

Contestant 4: $949

What are the odds contestant 4 will win?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think he got it

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Thanks for the multitude of explanations, guys and gals. :thumbsup:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm never the fast one, this is a new experience for me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok so imagine you're allowed to choose X slices of a delicious deep pan pepperoni pizza. But other people want that pizza too and they're going to be choosing slices as well. Now the pizzeria is poor and can't afford to give you a whole pizza. They only have Y slices to give. Now in order to maximise efficiency they're going to give those Y slices to the person who's X is closest to Y. But! If they're X is above Y then they're going to be disappointed and the pizzeria can't have that so they get no pizza. In the end if someone else chooses X slices and you choose X-1 slices you only get pizza if the pizzeria's Y slices is the same as your X-1 slices.

Simple, really.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Ok so imagine you're allowed to choose X slices of a delicious deep pan pepperoni pizza. But other people want that pizza too and they're going to be choosing slices as well. Now the pizzeria is poor and can't afford to give you a whole pizza. They only have Y slices to give. Now in order to maximise efficiency they're going to give those Y slices to the person who's X is closest to Y. But! If they're X is above Y then they're going to be disappointed and the pizzeria can't have that so they get no pizza. In the end if someone else chooses X slices and you choose X-1 slices you only get pizza if the pizzeria's Y slices is the same as your X-1 slices.

Simple, really.

I didnt get it until this one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can only understand life through pizza metaphors. Somebody explain Lost to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when Ana Lucia died and nobody gave a poo poo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

The Price Is Right works the same way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrAristocrates posted:

I can only understand life through pizza metaphors. Somebody explain Lost to me.

So, last week you ordered Pizza from a brand new store. It was amazing. The restaurant did everything right. Then, this week you ordered from them again and as you excitingly pay the delivery boy your mouth is salivating - it's going to be amazing again and... WHAT THE gently caress!? This time it's just an empty box.

That's lost.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

Imagine that you spent six years telling people how amazing your pizza tasted. And not just telling them, you let them come into the kitchen and watch you make it, sample the ingredients, be amazed at the dough tossing skills of your chefs, the whole nine yards. Everything that goes into making a great pizza.

And then they sit down to eat it and it's terrible. You then explain to them that you're not a pizza place, you're an Italian bistro which gives people a once in a lifetime experience that is far more important than any mundane pizza.

All I wanted was loving double pepperoni with garlic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does it stop doing the kinda uncomfortable 'her friend's life is trash' thing? Like, I get she's the new Shawn but we constantly saw that Shawn had a decent dad despite his flaws and even though they were low class his trailer park was mostly decent people and all.

Not really but the most recent one kinda sets down the same path with her mom.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

So, last week you ordered Pizza from a brand new store. It was amazing. The restaurant did everything right. Then, this week you ordered from them again and as you excitingly pay the delivery boy your mouth is salivating - it's going to be amazing again and... WHAT THE gently caress!? This time it's just an empty box.

That's lost.

Make this the OP of the Lost thread

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

That's lost.

Nailed it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lost was great and if you don't like it you suck. That is all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Imagine getting a pretty good pizza but your :spergin: friends hate it because it isn't Chinese delivery.

That's Lost.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Now that I'm back from being deep in work-hell (We passed our 5 day audit in 3 days with no exceptions, thank you for asking) I updated the Summer Toxx thread and there's several of you who haven't checked in on progress of your Toxx. If you haven't taken a look over there in awhile, please do so. Thaaaaanks!

Also, this.

Deadpool posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I stopped watching Lost part way through Season 2 because of ABC's terrible schedule.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a good show to binge. Just wait 3 months between season 1 and 2 to understand how loving frustrating that was. Best of Both Worlds type poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Adam "Edge" Copeland in fact a WWE superstar?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Is Adam "Edge" Copeland in fact a WWE superstar?

Well, not anymore. He was before he hosed up his neck so bad he had to either retire or probably die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Well, not anymore. He was before he hosed up his neck so bad he had to either retire or probably die.

Right, I just mean that's a fair statement? He could've been the lowliest wrestling man for all I know. Just want to make sure the credits of Haven aren't lying to me.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

Right, I just mean that's a fair statement? He could've been the lowliest wrestling man for all I know. Just want to make sure the credits of Haven aren't lying to me.

He won the Championship if that means anything to you. Also :canada:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I'm pretty sure that "WWE Superstar" is the official generic term they use for WWE wrestlers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure that "WWE Superstar" is the official generic term they use for WWE wrestlers.

It is, but Edge was a pretty big deal for a long time until his forced retirement.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Big deal to the misanthropes who watch professional wrestling, maybe. But your average person would have a had time naming any wrasslers besides Hogan, The Rock and maybe that one chick everybody hates.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't know poo poo about wrestling, but I know of Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Undertaker, Andre the Giant, the Ultimate Warrior, and John Cena.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when Ana Lucia died and nobody gave a poo poo

It's true. I didn't give a poo poo when she died. Mr. Eko though. :saddowns:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Remember it wasn't the writers choice for Mr Eko to die.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Lots of Lost was great.

To call it great as a whole is something I can't get behind. It really, really fell apart toward the end. And again, this has poo poo all to do with the straw man "not answering mysteries" garbage.

Irish Joe posted:

Big deal to the misanthropes who watch professional wrestling, maybe. But your average person would have a had time naming any wrasslers besides Hogan, The Rock and maybe that one chick everybody hates.

Dr. Tracksuit is the only wrestler that matters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw a youtube of a dude crashing another dude's father's funeral and dragging the coffin around and now I think I need to see about getting into wrestling.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Definitely. Also if you don't like or get the ending you are an idiot.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Who do I report to if the mod's the one making GBS threads up the couch chat thread with Lostchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenNight posted:

Remember it wasn't the writers choice for Mr Eko to die.

Why did they make him die? I remember I got bored of it at some point and then randomly watched it again later on and saw Eko's stupid, stupid loving death scene.

• Locked thread