Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Microcline posted:

I will admit that despite being unnecessary from a plot and gameplay perspective, the robot persona cars are pretty :krad: though.
Of the three we haven't seen yet, one is pretty much :krad: personified, and then the other two are "so ridiculous it's awesome" and "so ridiculous it's horrible.

Which is which varies depending on your tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ApeHawk posted:

The scene at the end of the video perfectly encapsulates the horrible development the story of the game had. First you have Sazh and Vanille alone, with him presumably about to shoot her, then he doesn't because he is still in shock over Dajh's crystallization and her role in it. His grief turns into an eidolin, after which you see him happily riding in his new ferrari. Then he points his gun at Vanille AGAIN for some reason, only to fake us out AGAIN and he goes to commit suicide with the fade to black before hearing a gunshot.

Only, the player already knows that the character just got his new transformer and ATB+1. And the game has already previously demonstrated that it isn't ballsy enough to pull any kind of fake-outs to that caliber. There wasn't a single person who believe he killed himself, and yet they try it anyway.

If those cutscenes were vaguely reversed then it would actually kind of make sense. Sazh doesn't want to kill Vanille, tries killing himself, then his eidolon shows up and tries to kill Vanille and he's all NOPE then they have the talk about, well, living ain't right and dying ain't right so all you can do is keep going until you find out what is.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm starting to feel as if they had like 5 different writers for every 10 minutes of plot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 24: Aerodynamics 101 with Motomu Toriyama :siren:

Part 1 (Polsy)
Part 2 (Polsy)

Music

Primarch Dysley
Can't Catch a Break

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Sanctum Skyfleet

The Sanctum plans to transport its l'Cie prisoners to Eden, then carry out their execution before a public audience.

Brigadier General Raines, the Cavalry commander, suggests that by showing the deaths of the Pulse 'monsters,' the Sanctum fal'Cie hope to quell rising panic and reaffirm their dominion over society.

Lightning and the others can't stand by and let their companions be sacrifice to ensure fal'Cie subjugation.

Deciding to mount a rescue, they plan to use a PSICOM craft to slip aboard the Palamecia, flagship of the Sanctum Skyfleet and prison vessel for the captured l'Cie.

Galenth Dysley, Primarch and representative of the people, is also on board. His presence almost certainly signifies a trap, but what other choice do they have?

quote:

The Palamecia

The ease with which the l'Cie slip aboard the Palamecia is, as they had anticipated, simply a part of the plan to lure them into a trap.

They make it onto the Skyfleet flagship with the help of the Cavalry, only to be greeted by a squad of PSICOM soldiers as soon as their feet hit the deck.

The l'Cie do not back down.

This is more than just a rescue attempt—it is a battle that could affect the future of Cocoon.

The Primarch heads the forces aboard the Palamecia. If they can capture Dysley and force him to reveal the fal'Cie's schemes, it may be enough to liberate Cocoon from the Sanctum's tyranny and free the hearts and minds of her people.

If they can prove how the government has manipulated its citizens into hating Pulse, and change the way people feel, then maybe the l'Cie can find a place in Cocoon's society—and some hope for the future.

quote:

Time to Split

Despite being driven to the brink of suicide by the sight of his son turning into crystal, Sazh is still alive. Having been captured by Colonel Nabaat in Nautilus, he and Vanille are now on their way to Eden to be executed.

The only reason they still live is so they can be murdered in front of an audience.

When Sazh learned that Vanille was the one responsible for his grief, he was consumed with rage. Now, he listens calmly to her tale:

Once a l'Cie who fought in the war against Cocoon, Vanille spent centuries in crystal stasis.

When she finally awoke, she found that her companion, Fang, had lost all memory of their previous Focus. Afraid that their new charge would culminate in another horrific battle, Vanille chose to feign memory loss in an attempt to flee from her destiny—a decision which has led to untold tragedy.

Somewhat ironically, hearing Vanille's melancholy tale sparks a flicker of hope in Sazh. If Vanille can emerge from crystal stasis, then maybe Dajh can too.

Stirred from his despondency by this thought, Sazh helps Vanille to overpower the cell guards and the pair begin their escape.

But this time, they're not running away from their fate—they're taking charge of it.

Meanwhile, elsewhere on the ship, the other l'Cie battle through waves of enemy soldiers in an attempt to rescue their friends.

Man, I love character bios that have had like one sentence changed! :razz:

quote:

People: 'Lightning' Farron

Lightning was formerly a sergeant in the Guardian Corps, Bodhum Security Regiment.

Wanting to outgrow the painful memories of her parents' death, she abandoned her childhood name to take up her current moniker. She retains her family name of 'Farron.'

Cursed as her sister was with the fate of a l'Cie, Lightning's frustration leads her to declare war against the Sanctum. She eventually sees her actions for what they are: an escape from reality.

Finally accepting Snow for his genuine efforts to save Serah, Lightning now fights a different battle—a battle to overcome her Focus and see her sister return from crystal slumber.

quote:

People: Sazh Katzroy

A trained civilian airship pilot, Sazh has been raising his son alone since the untimely passing of his wife almost three years ago.

A Sanctum l'Cie in the custody of PSICOM, Dajh turns to crystal the moment he is reunited with his father. Yet even after later discovering Vanille is responsible for his son's misfortune, Sazh is unable to bring himself to shoot her.

His goal now is to survive the coming conflict with the hope that his son will one day wake from his crystal stasis.

quote:

People: Hope Estheim

An incidental victim of the Purge, Hope survives the ensuing violence only to become a l'Cie. Blaming Snow for his mother's death during the fighting, the boy gives a name to his revenge: Operation Nora.

Hope eventually realizes that his rage is simply a crutch to help him through his grief, and decides he needs a real reason to keep on going.

He mends his relationship with his father, and sets off on a journey to discover a way to escape his destiny as a l'Cie.

quote:

People: Oerba Dia Vanille

Vanille is a l'Cie who was born on Gran Pulse.

Several hundred years ago, both she and Fang entered crystal stasis. While they slumbered, the entire structure housing them and the fal'Cie was transported to Cocoon.

After they awake and she learns that Fang is missing memories, Vanille lies and says she has forgotten her Focus as well. She wants to escape from a fate that could lead to more suffering for everyone, but her twisting of the truth has the opposite effect: it leads Fang into rash actions that have devastating consequences for both Dajh and Serah.

quote:

People: Bartholomew Estheim

Bartholomew is Hope's father, but has difficulties relating to his teenage son.

Though deeply upset by his wife's death, he sees how much Hope has grown during the subsequent events, and encourages him to find his own path and make his own decisions.

Now wanted by the Sanctum for his actions in aiding Pulse l'Cie, Bartholomew is currently under the protection of the Cavalry.

:siren: New poo poo resumes here! :siren:

quote:

The Thirteen Days: Day 1 - Awakening

Deep within the Bodhum Vestige, two l'Cie—Fang and Vanille—awoke from crystal stasis. Fang's brand was scarred and scorched, and she had lost every memory relating to her Focus, including the events surrounding its apparent completion.

Vanille mimicked her friend, pretending to have forgotten her Focus as well. Afraid of hurting even more people, she wanted nothing more than to leave her fate behind.

quote:

Cocoon Society: The Palamecia

The flagship of the Sanctum Skyfleet, this imposing craft is an anti-Pulse juggernaut built using the latest in military technology. The Palamecia bristles with powerful weaponry, and its multiple decks hold several dozen warships, as well as hundreds of crew members.

During the Purge, the Palamecia transported the entire Pulse Vestige to the Hanging Edge.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 14, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
gently caress you Earthbound is fun as hell. I wish more games would do the scrolling hp meter thing.

EDIT: Good video, though. Really good job at emphasizing how loving boring Final Fantasy 13 is at times all the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm pretty sure Rygdea wasn't kidding with the "I'll land this ship on you" comment. He wasn't trying to hide who he was, he was pulling a Snow.

Battle-wise...you should be glad Tornado Kick is not kicking you out of battle. God knows I hated that in Final Fantasy X. Also, there's nothing Dragoon-like about the PSICOM Dragoon. What the hell, Final Fantasy XIII? Give me enemy Kains or don't bother with that name!

Thank you for being considerate for us American viewers, Fedule. I knew what Lylat Wars was but it still sounds weird when I'm completely accustomed to Star Wars 64 (awesome game, by the way). Also you're probably thinking of Dragon Quest, not Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest VIII was the first released in Europe, skipping all the previous ones.

In the first battle of the second video, did you bypass the Paradigm Shift scene by having Fang in the air? It played only on the second Shift.

Finally, Sazh missing buttons is funny. For a game with such gigantic attention to quality on graphics alone, it's hilarious when it fails at even that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blaze Dragon posted:

In the first battle of the second video, did you bypass the Paradigm Shift scene by having Fang in the air? It played only on the second Shift.

Yeah, it only plays the shift cutscene if you have everyone on the ground. You can skip it by having someone in the air, but then it'll just play it the next time you shift.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Code Plaid! I repeat, we have a Code Plaid!

It's nice to actually have three party members at least? Until you go back to Sazh and Vanille YET AGAIN, such a tease.

New commentator is almost as bitter as Fedule, it's impressive. I hope you bring him back at some point. How do you hate 3D World and Earthbound? :psyduck:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This is the lamest trap ever. "First we'll lure them to our ship. Then we'll overwhelm them by sprinkling two or three weak soldiers at a time every couple hundred feet. The kind of soldiers they've slaughtered hundreds of by now. It's perfect!"

Also, it seems like the game was sort of loving with the player during that part on the pointless exterior walkways.

Hope: "They've parked some ships here! Maybe we can use them?"
*Player desperately hopes for some sort of ship-flying minigame*
*Lightning simply uses one as a step-stool to climb to more of The Hallway*
*Player weeps*

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Battle-wise...you should be glad Tornado Kick is not kicking you out of battle. God knows I hated that in Final Fantasy X. Also, there's nothing Dragoon-like about the PSICOM Dragoon. What the hell, Final Fantasy XIII? Give me enemy Kains or don't bother with that name!

'Though named "dragoon", the Japanese name (literally "PSICOM Aerial Dragoon") clearly refers to the historical mounted infantry units rather than the "Dragon Knights" of the Final Fantasy series.'

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I love how that elevator you called down didn't even lower all the way down. Somebody who couldn't leap three metres into the air could never use it. And then it went up and stopped between levels, so you had to leap again just to get off.

What I'm saying is, no wonder the crew wear jetpacks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the al bhed siren in FF10 I finally looked up what it translated to. My initial thought was that it could have been "Emergency" or in Al Bhed "Alahkirsa" with emphasis Ala-h-kir-sa. But it turns out it is a command. "Everybody Under" or "Ajanoputo Ohtan!". Just got curious :shobon:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As a kid playing FFX i always heard that guy going "I'm annoying,HA!" like he knows he's being annoying and you can't do anything about it.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

The piece of music you've been calling Sazh's Theme is actually Can't Catch a Break. This is Sazh's Theme.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spikey posted:

The piece of music you've been calling Sazh's Theme is actually Can't Catch a Break. This is Sazh's Theme.

It might as well be Sazh's Theme (Part 2), but regardless, we already know. It's labelled correctly way back in Chapter 4 when Sazh's Theme actually plays and Can't Catch a Break pretty much plays everywhere else.

Bellmaker posted:

New commentator is almost as bitter as Fedule, it's impressive. I hope you bring him back at some point. How do you hate 3D World and Earthbound? :psyduck:

Hey, hey, new guy hates Pikmin 3 and 3D World. I'm the one who hates Earthbound.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 22, 2014

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It was briefly touched on in the video, but that Royal Armlet you scored grabbed is a really great accessory. It gives both physical and magical resistance to the wearer, starting at 5% and maxing at 15% if you level it. Handy for keeping Hope and his abysmal hp pool alive.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm starting to feel as if they had like 5 different writers for every 10 minutes of plot.

FF13 really does feel like a collection of ideas that was forced together with enough time to make it look pretty but not enough to make it make sense.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

theblastizard posted:

FF13 really does feel like a collection of ideas that was forced together with enough time to make it look pretty but not enough to make it make sense.

So, FF8.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Star Wars 64

Are you talking about Shadows of the Empire, or Rogue Squadron? Come on now, Star Fox isn't that derivative.

Also it's sad that not even Sazh is immune to FF13 syndrome. No, Sazh, Please don't do that Vanille act, we NEED you to be down to earth, not exaggeratedly optimistic.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Regarding what we got in the EU, we didn't get Super Mario RPG until the Wii's Virtual Console release, same for Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound didn't arrive until the Wii-U, Paper Mario was the first Mario RPG we saw over here.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

theblastizard posted:

The entire trilogy has this problem, really.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And this is why everything sucks so much.

e: And why do their menu portraits look so gormless? Like someone caught them on camera by surprise.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fedule is right, FF7 was definitely the first mainline series Final Fantasy Europe got. We might have gotten, like, Mystic Quest or something before that, but we did not get any of 1 through 6 until the PSX ports. (or DS remake for 3)

We also didn't get Final Fantasy Tactics until the PSP port/remake, by the way.

e: Okay, looked it up, we got the GB Mana game titled Final Fantasy Adventure in the US as Mystic Quest and we got the SNES Mystic Quest as Mystic Quest Legend. That's it, as far as I can tell, until the release of FF7 on the PSX.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 22, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Huh, so this is in fact the first time Can't Catch a Break plays. I could have sworn that it shows up before this, but I can't find it in any of the other updates. :psyduck:

Oh well, here it is. That's a pro fuckin' click right there, as is pretty much every music track directly related to Sazh.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And this is why everything sucks so much.

Yeah, pretty much. I said it a bit earlier in the thread behind spoilers, but almost (if not literally) everything that happens in Final Fantasy 13 can be either directly or indirectly traced back to Vanille. Everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This has to be my favorite chapter due to the upcoming fight at the end, partly because it is a fun fight but also because it has an awesome music going along with it.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I caught up on this whole LP over the past week or so and this is pretty much where I'm at in the game. I'm also a Final Fantasy XIII apologist which isn't personally surprising to me since I also love FF8. But yeah, the points you bring up are all valid. The plot is awful and suffers from some of the worst pacing I have ever encountered in a narrative, not to mention the fact that the whole shindig is pretty much incoherent from beginning to end. That being said, I still like the game. It has a lot of potential to be super fun and it even achieves it for like...an hour. I can appreciate what they were trying to do but the execution of the actual game is god awful.

But yeah, The Palamecia is a godawful dungeon. It doesn't help that some of the enemy groups coming up are frustratingly difficult. But maybe I'm just Bad At Video Games :v:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

Huh, so this is in fact the first time Can't Catch a Break plays. I could have sworn that it shows up before this, but I can't find it in any of the other updates. :psyduck:

Oh well, here it is. That's a pro fuckin' click right there, as is pretty much every music track directly related to Sazh.

I think Can't Catch a Break plays during the Enki/Enlil boss in Chapter 6. It's definitely pro-click in any case, one of the best tracks in a game with a great soundtrack.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Extra Tasty posted:

I caught up on this whole LP over the past week or so and this is pretty much where I'm at in the game. I'm also a Final Fantasy XIII apologist which isn't personally surprising to me since I also love FF8. But yeah, the points you bring up are all valid. The plot is awful and suffers from some of the worst pacing I have ever encountered in a narrative, not to mention the fact that the whole shindig is pretty much incoherent from beginning to end. That being said, I still like the game. It has a lot of potential to be super fun and it even achieves it for like...an hour. I can appreciate what they were trying to do but the execution of the actual game is god awful.

But yeah, The Palamecia is a godawful dungeon. It doesn't help that some of the enemy groups coming up are frustratingly difficult. But maybe I'm just Bad At Video Games :v:
I think little people are contesting that FFXIII can be fun - hell, most people praise the combat system, especially coming off FF12 (I like it, but it's pretty much the polar opposite) - the sole (and gigantic) problem is that it's so rarely fun. Like the game does everything it can to keep you from enjoying it.

FF8 is just terrible all the way through.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I honestly liked the Palamecia. I thought it felt suitably climactic since our heroes are finally taking it to Cocoon. After all the running around, after all the meandering, we're storming the Pope's ship.
It just...dragged on too long. My hype at the beginning was pretty dead by the end.

Also we have now met all the villains in the game. A grand total of....3. There are a lot of problems in this game but regardless of what you feel about the party or how well or not well they were handled, my biggest complaint about XIII was its cast of antagonists. Coming off XII (which arguably focused more on the antagonists than it did on the protagonists) I was really let down by the baddies in this game. Especially Jihl. I will go on record as thinking she is the worst character ever in an FF game. I have never found a character so remarkably unoriginal and unejoyable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So can anyone do a quick sum-up of what the hell is the Cavalry's deal? I must've lost that in the sea of stupidity.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We don't know. They oppose the Fal'Cie-led Sanctum, and they're willing to aid Lightning and friends, but that's all we know about them.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

So can anyone do a quick sum-up of what the hell is the Cavalry's deal? I must've lost that in the sea of stupidity.

From what I've seen so far, the Cavalry's job is to do the planning, coordination, and heroics that would normally be done by the protagonists in any other JRPG. Their defining moment is when the game spends the whole Palompolum section hyping up not-Sephiroth as a villain and then he and his entire squad get killed by one anonymous Cavalry member while our literally superhuman protagonists cower in an apartment.

It's not exactly a bad thing given that our protagonists' planning is normally

"I'm going to ignore it and hope it goes away"
"I'm going to bitch about it but not do anything"
and
"I'm going to do the most spectacularly dumb thing possible right now"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does Rosch honestly look like Sephiroth? I've been hearing this "not-Sephiroth" ever sine I played XIII about two years ago and admittedly my eyesight is lovely but I never saw it.

I liked Rosch though. While it's true he was the obligatory Bad Guy Just Doing His Job, XIII is ridiculously simplistic and some shades of grey are appreciated.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

They have practically the same hair (the bangs in front, not the back. And the unnatural silver). Also, they are pretty boys with the typical super-lean facial structure. I didn't really see it when playing the game myself (maybe because Sephy is really prominent in FF7 and you see Rosch like twice), but I get where people are coming from. Of course, their roles are really different.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If anything, Rosch is more comparable to Ramsus from Xenogears. A handsome, well-spoken, silver-haired, sword-wielding, seemingly credible threat of a villain who is slowly undermined by the incompetence those around him and himself and whose single-minded obsession with killing the protagonists proves to be his undoing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Artix posted:

I'm the one who hates Earthbound.

So you like Final Fantasy 13 but hate Earthbound. I get it; you're from Bizarro World.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 25: Oerba Dia Vanille's Pro Kalavinka Striker Fishing®™ (Polsy) :siren:

To answer Fedule's question somewhat belatedly, the raw footage for this update and the last (which is like ~1:10 of video) comes out almost two and a half hours. 2:24:48, specifically.

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Luck Be a Lady

Colonel Jihl Nabaat is growing frantic.

All her carefully laid plans and contingencies are crumbling around her as the seemingly unstoppable l'Cie rampage through the ship. To make matters worse, the airship's main reactor has suddenly shut down. Jihl has yet to grasp what is behind the loss of power...

Sazh and Vanille are able to retrieve their equipment soon after escaping confinement. At the same time, their companions make good progress as routes open up across the ship. And the sudden engine failure has quieted the wind howling across the deck.

As if guided by fate, the l'Cie are reunited—and their success gives them renewed vigor to attempt the impossible.

And now, at last, they know what they have to do. They will topple the Sanctum, overturn fal'Cie rule, and put the fate of Cocoon in the hands of the people.

If they can just make it to the bridge of the Palamecia, they'll show the Primarch what l'Cie are really capable of...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly, there's only one color that can encompass everything going on here. Everyone! Shift to CODE PLAID!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Maybe being a l'Cie gives short-term memory loss, so they've all forgotten how Hope's dad pointed out that destroying the Sanctum was a stupid idea.

And that switch to Code White sure was dramatic! Just a shame that it didn't actually do anything after the dramatic reveal. Assuming it ends up doing anything at all, they probably should've timed that better.

At least I enjoyed the part where everyone talked about better Platinum games for ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Pretty sure Code White turns the ship's engines off or slows it down or something, but yeah, it's not explained other than being The Dramatic Master Code.

• Locked thread