Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

SalTheBard posted:

One of the funnest things I ever did was ruin an OP because I hated the guy who ran it. I fed info to a 3rd party who contacted a Resistence player in my area and told her everything. I wasn't really playing at the time because of this guy so ruining his op and then seeing the tears run as they tried to figure out the mole was hilarious. Really they would've gotten wrecked regardless because a couple idiot E's decided to destroy every portal on their way to the op and it didn't take a genius to figure out which direction they were headed which was good because it gave me deniability :P

It's worse when someone THINKS this is happening, when in reality it's just pure dumb luck. We had some players on a witch hunt to find "the mole" and it turned out that the smurfs just showed up because their poo poo was being attacked and they lived down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

Enlightened is a lot more drama filled, so I went back to resistance. Nobody really chats on the G+ group.

Enlightened has an extremely active groupme chat group where they're online and posting constantly and talking poo poo about the resistance players. Enlightened doesn't cheat but they make up for it by being really, really, into the game.

I haven't seen any drama yet but I've only been playing for about three weeks. It seems like there are about 5 people on either side that make up about 80% of all the activity in the valley. You're right though, they're not big fans of the other side. I wish there was more cross-team conversation.

With so many on blue being high level and me as a level 4 agent I have to study the map and find opportunities, it's rare to find an unclaimed portal or one low enough level or decayed enough for me to try to take it out. So far most of my points have come from finding fielding opportunities that others didn't notice or didn't care about. Still, I think being on blue would be more boring, there's no challenge and you know they'll own the town at the end of the day.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I haven't seen any drama yet but I've only been playing for about three weeks. It seems like there are about 5 people on either side that make up about 80% of all the activity in the valley. You're right though, they're not big fans of the other side. I wish there was more cross-team conversation.

I haven't seen any BIG drama. The rest is spot on.

Do the greens do "enemy intel" like the blues do? I'd be very curious what they have on me..

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Javid posted:

I haven't seen any BIG drama. The rest is spot on.

Do the greens do "enemy intel" like the blues do? I'd be very curious what they have on me..

No I haven't seen anything like that and I'd leave the groupme and go lone wolf if I did. If your ingress name is the same as your name here I haven't seen you mentioned or even seen you playing in comms but I don't pay much attention to anything outside Medford.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's not. Good to know, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's worse when someone THINKS this is happening, when in reality it's just pure dumb luck. We had some players on a witch hunt to find "the mole" and it turned out that the smurfs just showed up because their poo poo was being attacked and they lived down the road.

I happened to cut off a couple enemy ops because of this. They decided that the ideal portal for anchoring big fields was a park that was about as far from other concentrations of portals as it gets in this area, which happened to be the one that we always anchored fields off of. The reason we used it is because two agents live down the road from it. The four agents attacking it took 45 minutes to take it out because it was to the side of the road and they were in two cars parked side-to-side and didn't get out of their cars. Three of us recharged the resonators on the far end until we burned all of our power cubes. After that I went out and hit the one nearby portal first, which they responded to by pulling both cars onto the road side-by-side to form a roadblock. They refused to move and ended up blocking a few other cars. I took the portal back and figured they'd take it back after I left. Sure enough, they took it back and attacked a few portals of mine on the way a few towns over. I took the arduous two minute trek to the portal again, took it back, and shot some links through the area they had cleared.

Six months later, two of them had decided to switch factions because they didn't like their teammates and while the faction change was pending, his account was deleted for multiple incidents: the roadblock and threatening another player. Thanks for the prompt action, Niantic.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Chernobyl Prize posted:

With so many on blue being high level and me as a level 4 agent I have to study the map and find opportunities, it's rare to find an unclaimed portal or one low enough level or decayed enough for me to try to take it out. So far most of my points have come from finding fielding opportunities that others didn't notice or didn't care about. Still, I think being on blue would be more boring, there's no challenge and you know they'll own the town at the end of the day.

The blue downside is a complete lack of organization. People just seem to have their own little territories and the dog driving around a lot. I've only heard of one meetup that took place in Talent recently. Other than that, I've seen nothing.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

The blue downside is a complete lack of organization. People just seem to have their own little territories and the dog driving around a lot. I've only heard of one meetup that took place in Talent recently. Other than that, I've seen nothing.

I forgot to mention that I have heard talk of you even today.

Nothing bad though, I get the impression the old guard in ENL is gone, we had to switch to a new groupme because the founder is MIA. We should do some cross-team ops.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I went to a RES meetup last night at a local pub which is right in the middle of a very dense stretch of portals, for some food n drinks and farms. An ENL player who lives in the area saw the activity and stopped by, had a few drinks with us and then knocked down some of our portals periodically. It was great, I'm working on leveling so his action let me redeploy and relink a bunch of times. On his way out he even pointed out which way he'd be going if I wanted to follow and pick up the grey portals in his wake.

Times like this make me love this game. I'm sure there's a fair share of assholes and paranoid people but on the whole everyone seems very nice. Even if I did get called a 'smurfling'. :)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I forgot to mention that I have heard talk of you even today.

Nothing bad though, I get the impression the old guard in ENL is gone, we had to switch to a new groupme because the founder is MIA. We should do some cross-team ops.

I saw him driving around Monday. He circled around me a few times as I was out playing.

I'd be down with some cross-team ops.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beware: win trading is against the rules, so avoid behavior that may be perceived as such. I don't know how they police it, but it would suck to get banned because a frog showed up at a smurf meet and blew up some portals.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Beware: win trading is against the rules, so avoid behavior that may be perceived as such. I don't know how they police it, but it would suck to get banned because a frog showed up at a smurf meet and blew up some portals.

There was a long discussion in one of the hangouts I'm in as to what constitutes win trading.
Obviously at events like anomalies and NL1331 that type of behavior is not only allowed but encouraged - why should it be banned in the wild?

What they're most likely trying to avoid is that 2 person 2 faction team that bounces off each other consistently, levels up as a pair, or people from both factions effectively leveling each other up.
I think the incidental: "I showed up at their farm, blew up some stuff, told them they could reclaim it" isn't that kind of behavior.

Being friendly to the other faction should be encouraged, it's a lot better than people pulling poo poo like this: http://youtu.be/ajcHs4z5wG8

fake edit: come to think of it - the official ingress community AND the ingress report encourage cross-faction operations. All of the "Teal field" and "cross faction field art" stuff and cross faction farms and the like.
Only an rear end in a top hat would report someone for win-trading in cases like that

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There was a long discussion in one of the hangouts I'm in as to what constitutes win trading.
Obviously at events like anomalies and NL1331 that type of behavior is not only allowed but encouraged - why should it be banned in the wild?

What they're most likely trying to avoid is that 2 person 2 faction team that bounces off each other consistently, levels up as a pair, or people from both factions effectively leveling each other up.
I think the incidental: "I showed up at their farm, blew up some stuff, told them they could reclaim it" isn't that kind of behavior.

Being friendly to the other faction should be encouraged, it's a lot better than people pulling poo poo like this: http://youtu.be/ajcHs4z5wG8

fake edit: come to think of it - the official ingress community AND the ingress report encourage cross-faction operations. All of the "Teal field" and "cross faction field art" stuff and cross faction farms and the like.
Only an rear end in a top hat would report someone for win-trading in cases like that

Oh, I think most of the actual not cheating stuff is great. We had a similar discussion recently, but really it just take a vindictive rear end in a top hat to report stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

but really it just take a vindictive rear end in a top hat to report stuff.

Pretty much. I served a 3 week suspension for trespassing at my own place of employment.

Ingress players. :allears:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Yeah, it's not like it was planned or anything.

The rules are understandable though, otherwise some folks would just jerk off each others portals all day long and they'd all be level 16. Doesn't that sound FUN?

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
BTW, don't click that video. Within 30 seconds I was so mad at both parties I turned the drat thing off.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Another big shitstorm over artifacts.
https://plus.google.com/103320655754019011706/posts/Vey6yDM2rRP
Long story short, the glitches you see in day to day play become huge problems when applied to artifacts.
Niantic compensates by moving artifacts where they think they should have gone had glitches not happened.Everyone is heated and for good reason.

All I can say as a long-time player who has found my place in preparing global resistance operations is that these technical issues need to be resolved or acknowledged with a "do at your own risk" statement. I won't pass judgment on who's right or wrong, just say that both sides have valid reasons to believe the actions were valid or not.

I met one of the local Enlightened players last night, we blew up his house portal then headed up to our farm (27 L8 portals, all VRMH/VRHS so you can drive a loop faster than the passenger can hack everything on both of your phones.) Ingress players are obvious to other Ingress players, so we flagged down two of our new guys and chatted, then saw the ENL guy (whose license plate is his agent name) and chatted with him for a bit. We bullshitted for a bit, showed inventory counts to dickwave a bit, and talked about how awesome the farm is.

I like meeting players from the other faction, they go from abstract pain-in-the-rear end to some guy in seconds. Almost every one of them is a perfectly reasonable person enjoying the game.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Anyone know if they're gonna add portal submissions to iOS? I've had my eye on a few spots I want to submit, but without an android I can't.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Teddybear posted:

Anyone know if they're gonna add portal submissions to iOS? I've had my eye on a few spots I want to submit, but without an android I can't.

It's in the next patch (1.58.2, iirc), which could be any day. I can't wait, because I live in an untouched area with about 50+ potential portals.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GWBBQ posted:

Another big shitstorm over artifacts.
https://plus.google.com/103320655754019011706/posts/Vey6yDM2rRP
Long story short, the glitches you see in day to day play become huge problems when applied to artifacts.
Niantic compensates by moving artifacts where they think they should have gone had glitches not happened.Everyone is heated and for good reason.

Looks like the game is ending soon

quote:

Tzafrir Rehan Yesterday 4:30

+Ingress do you really want to see what the game looks like when the Resistance isn't playing?

have fun trying to explain what you just caused to your board of directors and the media

it's not in anyone's hands or control. You just caused every single resistance player to drop their weapons

we can try to stop it if you revert this decision immediately

you have 30 minutes

Media gonna be all over this.

edit:

Yep, random player confirms it. We've all stopped playing in protest now.

quote:

Tzafrir RehanYesterday 4:34

+John Mazur what I'm hearing from all over is no more participation in Ingress.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Ingress is Serious Business, guys! The smurf tears from this fiasco have been so delicious. Aside from that, Niantic really needs to fix the common issues with the game.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Whining about the decay rate, whining about the shard game, whining about guardian dates, whining about portal acceptance speed - Ingress players be whining

These operations require VRLAs which are incredibly buggy to begin with (at one point they even called that bug a "feature"), and require NIA interference ANYWAY in order for you to even get them. It's weird that people are fine with indirect interference (or interference that helps them), but not ok with it when it's direct and/or hurts them.

That said, I think the shard game is stupid anyway and seeds things like the incredibly antagonistic behavior I mentioned before

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Good riddance. More portals for me :dance:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Niantic will give out VRLA codes to any group who has a decent plan that requires them. The game servers have issues with gigantic links so they use this as a way to control access to them. They cant have some trolls making tons of pointless blocking links across the entire earth.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

Niantic will give out VRLA codes to any group who has a decent plan that requires them. The game servers have issues with gigantic links so they use this as a way to control access to them. They cant have some trolls making tons of pointless blocking links across the entire earth.

I would love to be that troll.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Assuming you could get enough team cooperation to clear out all the blocking links, what's the minimum number of portals you'd need to link to cover the entire earth? Four?

Set up the portals in some place sufficiently isolated (islands with no players, cell phone reception, or airports), and you could halt all linking for a couple days until someone was able to charter a boat.

The ultimate troll.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 18, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Bobulus posted:

Set up the portals in some place sufficiently isolated (islands with no players, cell phone reception, or airports), and you could halt all linking for a couple days until someone was able to charter a boat.

The ultimate troll.

Setup one in North Korea. Just on the other side of the Chinese border so it's accessible but you now have to play like a spy to not get arrested by either side.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Of all the portals Niantic could have picked for an artifact, they picked one on land that's been seized and bulldozed by the Thai government.
https://twitter.com/NianticProject/status/501631127799336960

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Come home from a trip, get ready to rebuild my town network that expired or fell while I was away. Head out, throw one link, go for the second, and

God dammit.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

At least the field is the right color!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Too bad the field is the wrong color!

Fixed that for you.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

Come home from a trip, get ready to rebuild my town network that expired or fell while I was away. Head out, throw one link, go for the second, and

God dammit.

I had the same thing happen from my side when I was about 3/4 working through my town. Nothing to do but go back home after that.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

chemosh6969 posted:

I had the same thing happen from my side when I was about 3/4 working through my town. Nothing to do but go back home after that.

This is why Niantic invented Jarvis/ADAs. :devil:

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
Just got back to Jersey after the anomaly in Baltimore. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone who has a chance to go to one of these events to do so. They are so fun and chaotic. Plus there is an after party.

Tiki Powers fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 27, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

iOS version just updated with portal submission capability.

Also, I hit level eight a couple days ago, and I'm a silver guardian away from meeting the medals for 9-- though not the AP.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I updated, not seeing the button to do that. Does it work for anyone else?

E: found it. Still can't report bad portals, though. Come the gently caress on.

Javid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 27, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Teddybear posted:

Also, I hit level eight a couple days ago, and I'm a silver guardian away from meeting the medals for 9-- though not the AP.

You changing your game style now or working on leveling up?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Teddybear posted:

They're on like a 4 month portal submission backlog so have fun flying into that headwind.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

They're on like a 4 month portal submission backlog so have fun flying into that headwind.

and it's only getting worse - every week worth of submissions they get through takes about 2 from what I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

At some point they're gonna have to hire another guy to work on those.

• Locked thread