Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, it'd be great if Dino Charge turned out completely different then the other Saban 2.0 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
One of the things that always bugged me about Kyoryuger is that the core five were introduced in different countries and cultures taming their Voltasaurs, but aside from the occasional English and Ian and Amy's names, it never came up. THis actually feels way more international and diverse, and our first African-American pink ranger to boot! In addition, it means it'll be harder to recycle stock footage, so they'll be forced to do original footage instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

Man, it'd be great if Dino Charge turned out completely different then the other Saban 2.0 seasons.

This is season 5 of Saban 2.0 so I predict it will start off terrible, pick up towards the end, and then seasons 6 through 10 will be gold for the most part, and the show gets purchased by Comcast/NBC/Time Warner as a flagship for a new kids network they make.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The fact that the only lady isn't a slice of white bread is pretty cool.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Solaris Knight posted:

One of the things that always bugged me about Kyoryuger is that the core five were introduced in different countries and cultures taming their Voltasaurs, but aside from the occasional English and Ian and Amy's names, it never came up. THis actually feels way more international and diverse, and our first African-American pink ranger to boot! In addition, it means it'll be harder to recycle stock footage, so they'll be forced to do original footage instead.

This may be stupid of me, especially if both the actor's origins and the ultimate story direction goes the other way, but it would certainly be less jarring (to some degree) for Red to have a Carnival mode if he turns out to actually come from South America.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

He's no Nossan, but he looks alright.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Astro Nut posted:

So, pictures coming out, showing the Dino Charge team:

Cleanest pic yet:

I don't usually mind when casts aren't that diverse because it's tv and it's almost always the same ol' same ol', but seeing this cast really makes me happy. :allears: In general I like seeing the red ranger be a POC (those end up being the best seasons even with second half of turbo, SPD and RPM), but also the pink ranger is just extra nice. Now to pray that the season actually ends up good.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

This may be stupid of me, especially if both the actor's origins and the ultimate story direction goes the other way, but it would certainly be less jarring (to some degree) for Red to have a Carnival mode if he turns out to actually come from South America.

THat might also help. We're still not sure if Gold will be a knight, but I'm not sure why he can't be a samurai too, especially after two seasons of samurai existing

Liar Lyre posted:

He's no Nossan, but he looks alright.

Nossan is one of a kind, and I'll repeat that until I'm BLUE in the face.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

The fact that the only lady isn't a slice of white bread is pretty cool.

Power Rangers used to follow the "two girls, one white and the other a PoC" trend, and whenever there was just one girl she was usually white, so yeah, I agree that it's nice that it's different now.

It would have been nice to have a girl black or green though, so it is a bit of a shame there's just the Pink Ranger. The Cyan and/or Violet Rangers will probably be girls, but it'd have been more neat for the boy/girl colors to get shaken up.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The POC thing is important for people because kids look up to rangers as role models, and after having four seasons of the implied message of "Only white boys can be the Red", we have a more diverse lineup of representation, something people have wanted for years. For a show about teamwork and equality, PR can be unintentionally dismissive.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, it is the franchise that started things off with the black actor wearing the black ranger suit and the vietnamese actress wearing the yellow suit.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, it is the franchise that started things off with the black actor wearing the black ranger suit and the vietnamese actress wearing the yellow suit.

Official word says that was unintentional. Will being the Black Overdrive Ranger and a self admitted thief with anger issues is much harder to justify however.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Solaris Knight posted:

Official word says that was unintentional. Will being the Black Overdrive Ranger and a self admitted thief with anger issues is much harder to justify however.
According to Linkara in his latest HoPR the actor himself is pretty scummy as well; that didn't help.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Astro Nut posted:

Cleanest pic yet:

What happened to the legs of the guy in the back?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Another few advantages I realise, if they keep the whole 'global team members' aspect, are 1) They may not need to force an American accent, which could be easier on actors plus giving more weight to the idea of internationality
2) The characters themselves don't have to be conveniently all from California (okay, there's been a few exceptions on that, but you get the point). So more differentiation in backgrounds, origins, etc.

Edit: ^ You can just see the faint outlines behind new red and old yellow's legs. Looks for the slight lines of black.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Inkspot posted:

What happened to the legs of the guy in the back?

In an effort to be more culturally diverse, Saban introduced the first Ecto-American Ranger!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Another few advantages I realise, if they keep the whole 'global team members' aspect, are 1) They may not need to force an American accent, which could be easier on actors plus giving more weight to the idea of internationality
2) The characters themselves don't have to be conveniently all from California (okay, there's been a few exceptions on that, but you get the point). So more differentiation in backgrounds, origins, etc.

Edit: ^ You can just see the faint outlines behind new red and old yellow's legs. Looks for the slight lines of black.

I'm pretty sure the only/main reason people think Xander is the best/only notable Mystic Ranger is because he doesn't need to do a American accent AND act.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

I think they were thinking "if a black person can never be black ranger, that's also racist" to which they have somewhat of a point, but then they said "he's also a thief". It's when you have multiple coolor = race it becomes a problem I think. If it had been just Zack is black and Trini was pink, or just Trini was yellow and Zack was blue, I don't think people would have cared.

We ended up with a weird Asian or Hispanic male rangers are always black or green rule.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I think they were thinking "if a black person can never be black ranger, that's also racist" to which they have somewhat of a point, but then they said "he's also a thief". It's when you have multiple coolor = race it becomes a problem I think. If it had been just Zack is black and Trini was pink, or just Trini was yellow and Zack was blue, I don't think people would have cared.

We ended up with a weird Asian or Hispanic male rangers are always black or green rule.

A lot of blue Rangers have also been asian. Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force (?), Overdrive, and now Dino Charge.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah yeah. I guess that doesn't hold up. I was probably just thinking mainly of Adam, Carlos, and Danny., which is not even a third the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically every ranger color has been racially diverse over the years.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

The POC thing is important for people because kids look up to rangers as role models, and after having four seasons of the implied message of "Only white boys can be the Red", we have a more diverse lineup of representation, something people have wanted for years. For a show about teamwork and equality, PR can be unintentionally dismissive.

I'm so thrilled about this new team. I've been wanting a black pink ranger since I was 7!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Pink Space Ranger was Asian and I think the Wild Force White was Hispanic, but other then that, yeah, I think most if not all Pink Rangers were white and it's weird to only just now realize that.

It blew my mind as a kid when Ninja Storm came out and Yellow was a boy and Blue was a girl. They'd been changing Yellow into a girl for a while up to that point regardless of the color's gender in the Sentai(including visibly making the Yellow Galaxy Ranger's breasts disappear when she morphed), but they couldn't get around it when Hurricanger Blue had the skirt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WickedHate posted:

The Pink Space Ranger was Asian and I think the Wild Force White was Hispanic, but other then that, yeah, I think most if not all Pink Rangers were white and it's weird to only just now realize that.

It blew my mind as a kid when Ninja Storm came out and Yellow was a boy and Blue was a girl. They'd been changing Yellow into a girl for a while up to that point regardless of the color's gender in the Sentai(including visibly making the Yellow Galaxy Ranger's breasts disappear when she morphed), but they couldn't get around it when Hurricanger Blue had the skirt.

Overdrive, Mystic Force, Samurai, Megaforce had a non-white Pink.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Overdrive, Mystic Force, Samurai, Megaforce had a non-white Pink.

Ah, see, aside from an episode or two of Samurai and Megaforce, I stopped watching after SPD.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The weirddest in a cool way thing about Mystic Force is that everybody but Udonna and Chip is Ambiguously Brown, and it made things feel more exotic, for lack of a better term, made things feel more diverse, like I hope Dino Charge does.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solaris Knight posted:

The weirddest in a cool way thing about Mystic Force is that everybody but Udonna and Chip is Ambiguously Brown, and it made things feel more exotic, for lack of a better term, made things feel more diverse, like I hope Dino Charge does.

Well, Nicks actor was of Lebanese descent. Madisons actor is of Filipino, Spanish and Ukranian descent. I'm not sure about Vidas or Xanders actors but I would guess Latin American and Greek respectively.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 24, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

Oh sure, cast the white lady as the White Ranger. :jerkbag:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey now, the first white ranger was a native American! Apparently!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Oh sure, cast the white lady as the White Ranger. :jerkbag:

The whitest lady.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know what John Tui is (Except for dashing :swoon:) but he at least looks more Arabic than Hikaru's actor, so it feels less of a disconnect to have a mech that's genie themed and carrying a magic lamp.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

I don't know what John Tui is (Except for dashing :swoon:) but he at least looks more Arabic than Hikaru's actor, so it feels less of a disconnect to have a mech that's genie themed and carrying a magic lamp.

I honestly didn't see anything arabic about him. He's just super Maori.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Testekill posted:

I honestly didn't see anything arabic about him. He's just super Maori.

A Maori person still looks more Arabic then a Japanese person.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't think Temuera Morrison looks any more like Osama bin Laden than does Oba Kenji, but maybe I'm just racially insensitive :qq:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let's just track it all:

Red: White, Hispanic, "Native American", Black, White, White, White, White, Puerto Rican, Samoan, White, Trinidadian/Grenadan, Lebanese, White, Black, White, White
Yellow: Asian, Black, White, Black, White, White, White, Black, Brazilian, White, White, White, White, White, White, White, White
Blue: White, Black, Hispanic, White, Black, Asian, Asian, Filipino, Black, White, Black, White, White, Filipino/Hispanic, Asian, Asian, White, Black, White
Pink: White, White, Asian, White, White, White, White, White, Hispanic?, Filipino, Asian, (?)
Black: Black, Asian, White, Hispanic, Hispanic, "Native American", Black, White, Hispanic?
Green: "Native American", Asian, Hispanic, Hispanic, Black, Asian, Asian, White, White, White, Hispanic
White: Native American, White, Hispanic, Hispanic, White, White, White

So the whitest ranger color is actually Yellow, and the least white ranger is actually Blue. Red is actually split about evenly. Actually I didn't count dino charge, so it is split exactly evenly between white/nonwhite. I also didn't count Quantum Red or Crimson Red, which also evens out.

I also didn't include various sixth rangers in this list like Silver, Mercury, Titanium, Gold etc unless they were specifically the "X color" ranger. Though that seems to be mostly white, with a dog in there.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

greatn posted:

I also didn't include various sixth rangers in this list like Silver, Mercury, Titanium, Gold etc unless they were specifically the "X color" ranger. Though that seems to be mostly white, with a dog in there.

And a half-feline alien :colbert:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sockser posted:

And a half-feline alien :colbert:

Thinking about this just makes me wish they had bothered to bring over Datas or Navi.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Try and tell me a robot parrot or monkey woudln't be less stupid then Tensou.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Try and tell me a robot parrot or monkey woudln't be less stupid then Tensou.

I mean, they brought over Saba. There's definitely precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Morby posted:

I mean, they brought over Saba. There's definitely precedent.

I think the season would flow better if they used the Sky Ship for Gokai Galleon footage, add in Navi, and say Tensou's body got destroyed with the Shore Centet. Gosei hosed off into something, I don't care

Andrew Grey said we'll get explanations for things later in the season at Morphicon, and I want to trust him so bad :negative: