Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Discount Viscount posted:

I'm playing Persona 3 again. It's all because I watched Azumanga Daioh last week and something about Japanese high school fiction about friendship makes me nostalgic for a high school experience I never actually had. Or maybe the one I did have, the good parts anyway. Or something like that.

Also the music is rad.

I think that's the reason I love high school movies so much. My high school experience was lame and kinda stressful, so seeing people make movies about how fun it could be gives me nostalgia for something I never actually had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yoshifan823 posted:

My high school experience was lame and kinda stressful

This is the true high school experience hth

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Suge Knight was shot six times at Chris Brown's VMA party.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

P-Zombie posted:

how many hospitals did they drive him past before taking him to one?

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Unconfirmed reports say no suspect has been found, but that the ghostly laughter of Tupac could be heard ringing through the halls and hills of the city.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Escape Plan is such a fun little movie. It's a shame more people haven't seen it because it delivers on the promise of something like The Expendables so much better. Two action icons, in an actually fun movie, in a modern take on what otherwise feels like a throwback film. And for reals Jim Caviezel is perfect in that movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My roommate wants me to put up a shelf in the living room and put my plastic robots and karate bugmen on it, to make the living room look like a place we actually live. I can't figure out how to explain to her this is a terrible idea, and that I was trying to keep all the dumb nerd bullshit contained in my room.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Literally The Worst posted:

My roommate wants me to put up a shelf in the living room and put my plastic robots and karate bugmen on it, to make the living room look like a place we actually live. I can't figure out how to explain to her this is a terrible idea, and that I was trying to keep all the dumb nerd bullshit contained in my room.

This is who you truly are. Embrace it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CloseFriend posted:

I watched Dragonheart last night. Everything about the plot feels weird and incongruous…

Bowen blames Draco for corrupting the prince (even though we learn later that it wasn't Draco's fault), so Bowen swears revenge and spends the next 15 years killing literally every extant dragon but Draco. Eventually, Bowen and Draco meet and fight, but they start working together and become friends. All the while, Bowen fails to recognize the one dragon he wanted to kill, and he never expresses remorse that he killed every other dragon in the world. Draco, for his part, never shows the slightest sign of umbrage that Bowen effectively committed genocide against his species. In fact, it never really arises in the film again.

Is this a tactical realism complaint? I'm not crying plot hole or anything, but I just don't think minimizing genocide is very good writing.

gently caress! I keep forgetting! Keanu Grieves was reminding me too! Well, as I was telling you yesterday, I finally got my meds straightened out, so I should be a lot better about remembering to actually do things.
The only reason Dragons exist is to be hunted to extinction.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

This is who you truly are. Embrace it.

I've already got three kits on order, albeit not nearly as complex as the one I spent twelve hours on. I figure if I don't put up a shelf out there I can put them on my third bookshelf once I get it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Did Escape Plan just have an overtly muslim protagonist (trying to escape from a Guantanamo Bay analogy) for Americans to not only root for, but also sadly cheer on when he, dying, defiantly says "Allahu Akbar" and for us to despise the man who responds with "Whatever" before gunning him down?

That's cool.

Yeah, that's one of the balliest things I've seen in a long time.

TrixRabbi posted:

I own 1-6 and I keep meaning to buy 7-10 but I never want to spend the money.

I know that season ten is generally considered the last good season, but the season finale of eleven is Behind the Laughter and that's one of the best episodes of the entire series.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Suggest something better/different to put in there instead? It's not that difficult.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's fun and good.

Schwarzenegger's still got it. He was pretty delightful in this film.

"Say Cheese"

Arnie isn't too bad, but he is aging poorly. He's a year younger than Stallone, but looks a decade older. Stallone's look obviously isn'f very natural though. Arnie's terrible in the Expendables movies, but in all fairness he doesn't have a lot to work with in those. Escape Plan was good though, and I like The Last Stand as well. I haven't seen Sabotage, or heard any praise regarding it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I watched Dragonheart last night. Everything about the plot feels weird and incongruous…

Bowen blames Draco for corrupting the prince (even though we learn later that it wasn't Draco's fault), so Bowen swears revenge and spends the next 15 years killing literally every extant dragon but Draco. Eventually, Bowen and Draco meet and fight, but they start working together and become friends. All the while, Bowen fails to recognize the one dragon he wanted to kill, and he never expresses remorse that he killed every other dragon in the world. Draco, for his part, never shows the slightest sign of umbrage that Bowen effectively committed genocide against his species. In fact, it never really arises in the film again.

Is this a tactical realism complaint? I'm not crying plot hole or anything, but I just don't think minimizing genocide is very good writing.

Let me help you out here:

Stop thinking about Dragonheart.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Let me help you out here:

Stop thinking about Dragonheart.
I'm trying! But it's like saying, "Don't think about pink elephants." What do you think of?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

P-Zombie posted:

:snoop:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Arnie isn't too bad, but he is aging poorly. He's a year younger than Stallone, but looks a decade older. Stallone's look obviously isn'f very natural though. Arnie's terrible in the Expendables movies, but in all fairness he doesn't have a lot to work with in those. Escape Plan was good though, and I like The Last Stand as well. I haven't seen Sabotage, or heard any praise regarding it.

I liked The Last Stand enough, but I'd assumed Escape Plan was really bad, I had no idea how many people liked it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I liked The Last Stand enough, but I'd assumed Escape Plan was really bad, I had no idea how many people liked it.

Go watch it, it's good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coffee And Pie posted:

What are some good movies about waiting for something?

Related slice of life: I'm getting coffee with said ex on Monday night to discuss what we're going to do, because according to her, she needs time to figure things out. This could mean either something very good, or the total implosion of my social life.

So that's fun.

Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962).

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Comics Chat: People here mentioned digging "Crisis on Infinite Earths" here some number of pages ago. I'm about to read it for the first time; is there anything I should check out beyond the core maxiseries?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

P-Zombie posted:

Comics Chat: People here mentioned digging "Crisis on Infinite Earths" here some number of pages ago. I'm about to read it for the first time; is there anything I should check out beyond the core maxiseries?

The entire Flash run that follows it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I know that season ten is generally considered the last good season, but the season finale of eleven is Behind the Laughter and that's one of the best episodes of the entire series.

Thanks god I'm not the only one that thinks this. I love Behind the Laughter even if it's conceit is pretty dated now. It's one of the last really great episodes, which is fitting in some ways. After that there are some episodes with some good parts but that also have some major flaw until it starts becoming all crap. I think the last episode I thought was all the way good was Trilogy of Error and that was all the way back in *looks it up* 12th season? Jeez. That's depressing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

P-Zombie posted:

The Wikipedia page. You might need it.

There are also a series of silver age stories collected under the name "Crisis on Multiple Earths". These feature the first crossovers between Earth 1 and Earth 2, and us lay the earliest groundwork for COIE. They are not necessarily essential, but they are iconic, particularly The Flash #123

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 24, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'd say Overlord counts.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Take Shelter.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

the wobble posted:

Professor Clumsy, while you're in the room, you at the time made convincing points to me regarding Prometheus. But I lost the link. could you repost it? Thanks

You mean this?

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Skywalker OG posted:

Cannibal Holocaust: I forgot / blocked out whole parts of that movie apparently. So hosed up. Glad I saw it in theaters.

Haven't seen an audience this uncomfortable since Killer Joe.

The New Bev is awesome, I'm heading there tonight for their Cassavetes series.

I assume this was at the New Bev, I don't think I could handle two movie theaters in the country playing Cannibal Holocaust on the same night.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That old man from Jurassic Park, Richard Attenborough, died :(

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yaws posted:

That old man from Jurassic Park, Richard Attenborough, died :(

When will it end?! :negative:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Rest In Peace.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fan of his films: Shadowlands, Gandhi and A Bridge Too Far.

Been meaning to see Magic.

Hewlett posted:

When will it end?! :negative:

Forthwith I hereby decree that no one else is allowed to die.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I gotta admit it's fun seeing you guys lose your poo poo over just a 6.2 on the richter scale.
edit: COIE question: Uncle Boogeyman is not wrong, you might wanna skim the wikipedia page for some background info.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone is looking to go on an Attenborough memorial binge I highly recommend the loving ace Brighton Rock from 1947.

He's amazing in it - a real cold-hearted, evil bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCgfhZjdGk8

Check this out yo.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 24, 2014

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Richard Attenborough was shot six times as Chris Brown's VMA Party. RIP Jurassic Park man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slate Action posted:

Rest In Peace.

RIP SMG.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope

Yes thank you. It gets easier defending me liking that movie the more I'm getting slapped for it :)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RIP Richard Attenborough. Looks like I'm watching Magic tonight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Attenborough's Chaplin is weird as hell but I kinda love it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Sorry about joking about you exploding, Richard. You owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Attenborough's Chaplin is weird as hell but I kinda love it.

That sequence where they're editing a film in secret and get busted by the police, and the film speeds up to look like an old-timey comedy, owns a lot.

• Locked thread