Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Stock footage AND Bad sound-alikes.

I think I prefer Power Transfer only because we got JYB out of the bargain.

Though all the ranger switch-ups (Including Different Shade of Pink) are way better than Aisha's "Gonna go help animals in Africa of the past, later Zordon." thing in Hogday Afternoon 2.

Yeah that was bullshit... I don't think they even had a return of the actress playing teenage Aisha, did they?

Different Shade of Pink was done pretty well, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

I really enjoyed the old team half of Turbo...the actual handoff was horrifically lazily done, but I'm enjoying the new team as well (even if Selwyn Ward really needs some time to catch his stride int he ADR department.)
I had no idea they were changing the cast, but the moment I saw five new characters all wearing different colored shirts, I knew it was all over. Checked out after one episode.

I love how JDF still refers to getting shitcanned from Power Rangers as "going to a peace conference in Switzerland."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked the new cast far better than the Zeo cast being Turbo rangers, but I'm in the minority I guess. TJ was refreshing as a guy learning the ropes after like 5 years of Tommy dominating the screen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought JDF wanted out and the 17 episodes he did do was as much as they could convince him.

I love Selwyn Ward though. Favorite Turbo Ranger and favorite Space Ranger. Though I'm sure I'd rank Adam above him overall.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yeah that was bullshit... I don't think they even had a return of the actress playing teenage Aisha, did they?

I think they showed her meeting up with her parents (Who were transferred over to Old Africa when the Rangers re-aged.) in the Viewing Globe but it could've very well been a stand-in since it was a small blurry image.

And yeah, I really liked Different Shade of Pink. Kimberly was great, Kat was sort of awkward at first but she improved a lot once Zeo came around.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Turbo kicks rear end. It was goofy and tired with the old cast, but once they handed it off to the new team (despite it being an awkward transition), the show hits this stride of crazy/intense/stupid that made me love Power Rangers in the first place. In my eyes, the show was at its best when it took itself seriously, but remained funny/ridiculous (a monster baking them into a pizza). I checked out at later series like Time Force when it became all plot and no cheese.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I found it a real struggle as a kid to get into Lightspeed Rescue. It seemed to take itself so seriously, I'd just tune out for weeks on end.

And then, Titanium-chan~ :3:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You need that balance, I think.

I love serious heroes and serious stakes-but that doesn't mean you need to be loving *BORING*. A lot of the MOTW of Time Force was just boring and dull, no real personality or anything. This is a problem a lot of the time really.

Mind it can go too far in the other direction for me as well.

This is why to me Kamen Rider V3 is the best Rider series and best Rider. Dude is dead serious always, even when he's trolling, and so are his villains.

Even when he's dealing with loving Black Santa-EVERYONE is playing the absurdity as straight as humanly possible. It's beautiful and wonderful.

My favorite episode of Kamen Rider V3 is Episode 44, which is just everything about the show condensed into 20 minutes of bliss.

Destron has just murdered an entire apartment full of men women and children with a gas attack from a loving turtle, Riderman comes on the scene with V3, though the two aren't friends because Riderman truly believes in the ideals of Destron, he just thinks they have the wrong people running it, while V3 just wants to destroy Destron for child murdered reasons.

So Riderman finds a baby that survived the utter massacre because yes everyone died especially the kids, and he hears a baby crying. He straps the baby on his back to get it the gently caress out, gets attacked by some Destron foot soldiers- and then the baby turns out to be the turtle cyborg who just bursts off of Riderman's back, as large as ever.

So they fight him a bit and then Riderman confronts V3 at the grave yard where his best friends who saved his life are buried after they got murdered in the last episode, and we get this BRILLIANTLY dramatic scene where Riderman claims V3 can't understand his pain as he tears off his own cyborg arm and then V3 calls him out of his bullshit.

He tells him how Destron murdered his mother, his father and his little sister, and how human blood no longer flows through his body-how the only part of him that is human any more is his brain. Riderman slams his cybernetic arm into the dirt of the graves of his fellows, confused and angry, as V3 implores him to seek justice-not revenge.

Then Riderman's sister gets kidnapped by the turtle monster and held captive, and our heroes go to save her.

Specifically V3 sneaks in dressed like one of the foot soldiers- with the mask that fits like a ski mask skin tight AND with eye holes that clearly show his face. When he's discovered, he discards the outfit- to reveal he's ALREADY TRANSFORMED AND HAS BEEN THE WHOLE TIME SOME HOW.

Riderman shows up and the two beat the poo poo out of turtle man and then kill him.

All of this, ALL OF THIS, happened in one episode. And absolutely every bit of it was treated as seriously as the rest.

It is glorious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know, mixing it in one episode like that can lead to garbage, too. It can clash easily. Spreading it out farther creates more of a healthy balance. It's been forever since I watched it, but I think, of Power Rangers, Zeo did that best. With Kamen Rider, I haven't watched V3, but Gaim is also pulling it off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I would have been okay with the handoff...if it hadn't been presented as "Oh yeah, there's this big ceremony, and Zordon and the Good Alpha are gonna drop by, and we've actually been looking for replacements for a while now". Like, if that had been the premise of a 2-parter or something, it'd be one thing...but they just introduce ALL of that in the last 3 minutes of an episode.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Reminds me of Mystic Force when they included the Sentai footage of Rita's actress. Udonna literally says in the span of 3 minutes "Yeah, Rita was an evil sorceress who works for the powers of good and she is the source of our powers so anyway, we need to go talk to her".

They also didn't bother to put any effort into making the dialogue match her mouth like they did in MMPR.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Morby posted:

Reminds me of Mystic Force when they included the Sentai footage of Rita's actress. Udonna literally says in the span of 3 minutes "Yeah, Rita was an evil sorceress who works for the powers of good and she is the source of our powers so anyway, we need to go talk to her".

They also didn't bother to put any effort into making the dialogue match her mouth like they did in MMPR.

Ahahaha christ, I really didn't like Mystic Force and I completely missed this poo poo. Goddamn I need to find this now.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ninjasaurus posted:

I met the actress who played Aisha a few years back and she told me at the time some of her friends were actually auditioning for her replacement. Thing is she had no idea she was being written off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Say what you will about disney seasons, their actors don't seem to complain too much about the production behind the scenes after all's said and done unlike a lot of Saban era before and after Disney.

I think the Green SPD ranger was appalled at the "money" Saban offered to cover cameo costs.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sockser posted:

Ahahaha christ, I really didn't like Mystic Force and I completely missed this poo poo. Goddamn I need to find this now.

It's one of the last episodes towards the end of the season in the middle of the Ten Terror Beast story arch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

Say what you will about disney seasons, their actors don't seem to complain too much about the production behind the scenes after all's said and done unlike a lot of Saban era before and after Disney.

I think the Green SPD ranger was appalled at the "money" Saban offered to cover cameo costs.

The green SPD ranger is a pretty cool guy. He marries the professor and doesn't afraid of anything.

Just imagine if Disney still had PR. They'd probably do some sort of tie-in for Star Wars or Marvel or just have an episode written with tons of licensed references

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

The green SPD ranger is a pretty cool guy. He marries the professor and doesn't afraid of anything.

Just imagine if Disney still had PR. They'd probably do some sort of tie-in for Star Wars or Marvel or just have an episode written with tons of licensed references

Do you mean lightspeed?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

Do you mean lightspeed?

Actually, I meant RPM.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

JT Smiley posted:

I met the actress who played Aisha a few years back and she told me at the time some of her friends were actually auditioning for her replacement. Thing is she had no idea she was being written off.

That's really lovely. :catstare:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

That's really lovely. :catstare:

Didn't the same thing happen with JYB and Tanya's actress in regards to Turbo?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Saban seems to foster a really cut-throat environment. drat!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really hope the negativity over the Megaforce budget guest star clusterfuck means they'll treat guests with more respect now, especially after Morphicon

I SO want ASJ as the Doctor Ulshade equivalent in Dino Charge. He'd be perfect, and you'd only need him for like 2 episodes max, then give it to Kiera or whoever.

Unrelated but, it warms my heart whenever I see new posts in this thread that my silly autistic love for this show isn't alone :allears:.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

No, you'd probably get nothing at all, because thats what they were looking at before Saban came back and brought the show. They didn't want to do RPM and actually decided to just remaster old stuff instead of producing whatever their Samurai equivalent would have been. I don't watch current PR but the fanbase should just be happy that the show exists, is popular and has a chance to get better. Thats far more than you could have honestly hoped for six or so years ago.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 28, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not watching PR currently is a huge reason why you're remotely positive about power rangers, ironically.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Here have one more picture from the con:

He was in full make up and costume all three days. "No Clowning Around" was one of the episodes that was part of the initial VHS releases of the show plus most of later VHS releases of the show so the episode was oen of my favorites as a kid. It was awesome to actually meet the guy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I suppose it's the clown make-up but he doesn't look like he's aged a day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JDF keeps getting rejected at Canadian customs whenever he tries to come up here for a con. He hosed up a customs form one time years ago and he'll never get to come up for the weekend ever again :allears:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

mateo360 posted:

Here have one more picture from the con:

He was in full make up and costume all three days. "No Clowning Around" was one of the episodes that was part of the initial VHS releases of the show plus most of later VHS releases of the show so the episode was oen of my favorites as a kid. It was awesome to actually meet the guy.

That man is my hero. Great episode, great character/actor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

JDF keeps getting rejected at Canadian customs whenever he tries to come up here for a con. He hosed up a customs form one time years ago and he'll never get to come up for the weekend ever again :allears:

More for America then :patriot:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Solaris Knight posted:

I really hope the negativity over the Megaforce budget guest star clusterfuck means they'll treat guests with more respect now, especially after Morphicon

I SO want ASJ as the Doctor Ulshade equivalent in Dino Charge. He'd be perfect, and you'd only need him for like 2 episodes max, then give it to Kiera or whoever.

Unrelated but, it warms my heart whenever I see new posts in this thread that my silly autistic love for this show isn't alone :allears:.

ASJ being the one who owns Plezuon would kinda make sense from a 'it gets passed on to Red' perspective too. Plus, unintentional parallels with how the Red Thunderzord could transform into a mecha all its own.

I do suspect it'd be a cameo kinda deal though, yeah. The show may very well (or should be, unless they're content to let the Nick schedule screw things up again) be into production by this point, so it'd be weird if he was more potentially important to the plot but was still only 'in talks' about it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Double posting, but I present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB5lkoZ5JvA

:effort:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess they couldn't call them "New powers" again but yikes, should've just did some original footage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They could also just cut half the words in that scene, but I forgot they get paid by the word so they're milking every single millisecond.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I guess they couldn't call them "New powers" again but yikes, should've just did some original footage.

My 'favourite' bit is how they try to explain the discrepancy itself. Just have Orion yell that he'll be the odd one out, that'll cover it just fine.

Part of me wants to imagine there's some poor sod who had to sit in a room, picking out what footage could or couldn't be used, and in the end he just went 'f*** it!' and threw up his hands.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only time I can remember them shooting new footage is twice. Once is at the beginning when they do an all red team morph, and the original footage had Gosei Red. Since that wouldn't work well with the idea that Super Mega Mode is an upgrade, and he'd basically be "powering down" they switched it to I think Overdrive Red.

The other was when they were fighting the collar monster, in the original footage the entire team transformed into sixth Rangers and Don (as Dragonranger) dropped the dagger on the back of the monster's collar. I suspected (and the latest episode confirmed) that this is because they want to make the sixth ranger keys exclusive to Silver.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the only two instances where they made new footage (outside of some original fight scenes using the Megaforce suits before they power up), and it seems the only reasons were to keep with their story reasoning of Super Mega Mode being an upgrade, and because they think only Silver should get to use sixth Ranger keys. Since I mean hell, they didn't even edit the footage in the "Noah is a swordsman now" episode where he used the Gosei Blue key, and Megaforce keys shouldn't really exist. So yeah it just seems like they're only going to change footage if it conflicts with their localization of certain story elements, otherwise they're just going to go "gently caress it."

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only time I can remember them shooting new footage is twice. Once is at the beginning when they do an all red team morph, and the original footage had Gosei Red. Since that wouldn't work well with the idea that Super Mega Mode is an upgrade, and he'd basically be "powering down" they switched it to I think Overdrive Red.

The other was when they were fighting the collar monster, in the original footage the entire team transformed into sixth Rangers and Don (as Dragonranger) dropped the dagger on the back of the monster's collar. I suspected (and the latest episode confirmed) that this is because they want to make the sixth ranger keys exclusive to Silver.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the only two instances where they made new footage (outside of some original fight scenes using the Megaforce suits before they power up), and it seems the only reasons were to keep with their story reasoning of Super Mega Mode being an upgrade, and because they think only Silver should get to use sixth Ranger keys. Since I mean hell, they didn't even edit the footage in the "Noah is a swordsman now" episode where he used the Gosei Blue key, and Megaforce keys shouldn't really exist. So yeah it just seems like they're only going to change footage if it conflicts with their localization of certain story elements, otherwise they're just going to go "gently caress it."

Actually, there's been a few other instances as well. The one that sticks in my mind most is episode five, where the guys get an extended fight scene against the MOTW, including Legendary mode. It is, however, quite random and tends to be in small bursts, and inconsistent - despite being clearly fine with using 'powers never before seen on this planet' for other instances, they went and replaced the Turboranger suits with the Wild Force ones for the relevant episode.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
For that episode I guess they changed the Turboranger fight scene to Wild Force because that's the episode where they got the Lionzord, and thought that having them use the relevant team would be more appropriate than a random new powers team. But yeah I forgot about that, and also how they used the three Black Ranger footage from a much earlier Gokaiger episode in that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There was original footage in the Noah episode where he's a Master Swordsman with the other 4 fighting a random battle. It was original because they had the clothe instead of shinyness, and random slowdown that's never in Gokaiger but common in american style footage.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Does anyone in here watch Super Megaforce but haven't seen Gokaiger? Because I am wondering what their reaction was to the Gold Mode episode.

Green and Silver have completely different personalities from their Gokai counterparts, right? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unless Green is a hardass stone cold killer, Green is probably not. Silver is definitely anything but a goofy superfan of power rangers who goes out of his way to correct his teammates whenever they get a morph wrong.