Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, man. If there's a crossover ep with Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant, it's going to be bonkers.

And Eccleston, Nine and Twelve would get along instantly. "Look, let's just ditch the dandy and the clown over there and deal with this Bandril invasion by ourselves, yeah?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Forktoss posted:

And Eccleston, Nine and Twelve would get along instantly.

Two Ecclestons and Twelve? I'd watch that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or McCoy.

The Two Scotstors.

"Finally", said the Times TV guy "there is a Doctor who speaks in his native Scottish accent"

FUCKER

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

And Eccleston, Nine and Twelve would get along instantly. "Look, let's just ditch the dandy and the clown over there and deal with this Bandril invasion by ourselves, yeah?"

You can't just ditch the dandy and the clown

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Vintimus Prime posted:

Am I the only one who would love to see a Mcgann/Capaldi episode?

I would like to see more McGann anything. He's so good in the audio stories, I'd love to see him back on the screens in some way.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that episode was a bit better. With the premise it could have been a bit more creative but oh well. At least there were some interesting things even if the inside of a Dalek is a little bit generic space baddy looking

Nice to see that the old one Dalek kicks everyone's rear end, several Daleks bust in and suddenly they're incompetent thing still goes on. :v: Also I liked the little Daleks on Clara's clothes.

The "I don't know if you're a good man but at least you try to be" was a bit obvious. Of course they also had the usual "Dalek tells the Doctor he'd make a good Dalek" thing. Rusty for next Companion please.

Also Capaldi good, water liquidised humans wet, etc.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

McDragon posted:

Nice to see that the old one Dalek kicks everyone's rear end, several Daleks bust in and suddenly they're incompetent thing still goes on. :v:

I assume that:

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMI-
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
NO GUYS SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO CONCENTRATE!
CONCENTRATE! CONCENTRATE!
SHUT UP!

is a common conversational thread on Dalek away missions.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
McGann and Capaldi would be great based on what we've seen of Capaldi so far. Capaldi's sour-puss negative Doctor contrasted McGann's very human and emotional Doctor, I think they'd clash a lot.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Next week, Capaldi will not be a merry man. He'll protest.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Age aside, I'm not entirely sure why but the way Capaldi plays 12 reminds me of Hartnell. I mean, there's nothing specific I can bring to mind or anything and it's less obvious than the way Smith did things with his hands the way Troughton did with his but there's something inspirational there. Maybe I'm just full of poo poo.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode more than Deep Breath which I enjoyed quite a lot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really don't have much more to say other than Capaldi may already be my favorite Doctor and these two episode have been excellent. Deep Breath was an amazing start and this was a great Dalek episode.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SiKboy posted:

Wait... There are people who dont think that Tennant did a lovely job of an english accent?

Weeeeelllll *sniffs*

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
"Which part did Moffat write? Oh...the only part I hated." :sigh:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Spacedad posted:

"Which part did Moffat write? Oh...the only part I hated." :sigh:

From the number of times Moffat has a co-writing credit this season, I would assume that Moffat just did a rewrite on the script, and they're going to credit that from now on.

But then RTD rewrote a whole lot of scripts, and Moffat doesn't really do that so much, so maybe this is just the first time he's done a big rewrite?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I always got the impression that what RTD did to other people's work was just really intense script-editing, rather than the kind of stuff that used to result in a David Agnew. I'm not entirely sure where that comes from, mind you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Trin Tragula posted:

I always got the impression that what RTD did to other people's work was just really intense script-editing, rather than the kind of stuff that used to result in a David Agnew. I'm not entirely sure where that comes from, mind you.

No, it's true. He rewrote nearly everything in every script, apparently except for Moffat's; though I'd probably call bullshit on that to some degree.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AndyElusive posted:

Age aside, I'm not entirely sure why but the way Capaldi plays 12 reminds me of Hartnell. I mean, there's nothing specific I can bring to mind or anything and it's less obvious than the way Smith did things with his hands the way Troughton did with his but there's something inspirational there. Maybe I'm just full of poo poo.

I think it's mostly that he just doesn't give a rat's arse about most people - he's very early First Doctor in that respect. Also, someone in the last thread noted about how insecure and unsure 12 is, which I think is quite true. He's similar to early Hartnell in that respect, in that he doesn't have all the answers, and has to fumble around and gently caress things up occasionally. It's definitely a big change from 11, who was basically a loving wizard, and easily the most competent Doctor to date.

EDIT - I mean, it's pretty interesting that he did gently caress pretty much everything up in this episode. He fixed the Dalek and was surprised when it returned to normal. His big plan was to show it the wonders of the universe in his mind, and then was surprised when all it saw was hatred. This guy doesn't know what he's doing, and that's a facet of the Doctor we've not seen in awhile.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

I think it would be awful and a huge mistake. For one thing, it's far better left to the viewer's imagination - no matter how good or bad an "origin" story would be, it would still be one particular person's defining of the character and we all know that none of us would be able to agree whether that was right or not.

For the second matter, the character of the Doctor - the traits we've come to identify him with: fearlessness, compassion, hope, a strong streak of anti-authoritarianism etc - would be mostly absent in any "origin" story, or at least any accurate origin story. We've already seen how the Doctor came to be the way he is, through his interactions and growing friendship with Ian and Barbara which started the long run of companions who grounded him and gave him a largely human moral compass. A child Doctor with those same traits would beg the question of what, if any, impact humans have had on his personality and values. If the child Doctor was completely different to the Doctor we know now.... then what is the point beyond cashing in on the license?

Thirdly, you'd have to either give him a name (stupid) or come up with a dumb nickname ala Theta Sigma to use all the time instead (even stupider).

Basically, the one time I'm aware of that any "official" Doctor Who thing tried to explore the youth of the Doctor beyond a cursory line or two was in Master by Big Finish, which was loving terrible and a great example of why this type of story should never, ever be done. Even on the remote chance that the story was actually good (which it probably wouldn't be), it would still be a mistake to make it since by defining what his childhood/life before leaving Gallifrey was, it immediately limits the possibilities of what it could have been in the individual viewer's mind.

Rochallor posted:

This was one of the things I loved about the introduction of the Dalek Parliament in Asylum. It basically just facilitates mass shouting of agreement. There's no debate, the honorable gentleman from Skaro just starts shouting about killing people and everybody starts agreeing with him.

The Chief Whip must be so bored, nobody ever needs to be forced to tow the party line. Also there is only one party. Like you, that's why I love the Dalek Parliament so much :allears:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

I pondered that myself, though I think it's more likely to be the latter than the former... at least for now.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 31, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the Doctor's origin story is when he steals the TARDIS. You could I guess see him before then but really, deep down, he's a guy who stole a magic box that goes anywhere, anywhen, and had adventures after that. Before isn't really interesting.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

No, it's true. He rewrote nearly everything in every script, apparently except for Moffat's; though I'd probably call bullshit on that to some degree.

That's correct. However, the only time RTD added "...& Russell T Davies" on scripts were for the specials, encouraged by Julie Gardner, because it attracts bigger talent for guest stars who want to work with a succesful TV producer. In The Writers Tale, he says if he put "...& Russell T Davies" on all the scripts he rewrote, most of the episodes would have that credit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The Chief Whip must be so bored, nobody ever needs to be forced to tow the party line. Also there is only one party. Like you, that's why I love the Dalek Parliament so much :allears:

I'd be more inclined to say that all the Daleks in the parliament think they're the Chief Whip.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jerusalem posted:

Dalek Francis Urquhart will be fine.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Finally, the Dalek Parliament makes sense! It's a pep rally!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I think it's mostly that he just doesn't give a rat's arse about most people - he's very early First Doctor in that respect. Also, someone in the last thread noted about how insecure and unsure 12 is, which I think is quite true. He's similar to early Hartnell in that respect, in that he doesn't have all the answers, and has to fumble around and gently caress things up occasionally. It's definitely a big change from 11, who was basically a loving wizard, and easily the most competent Doctor to date.

EDIT - I mean, it's pretty interesting that he did gently caress pretty much everything up in this episode. He fixed the Dalek and was surprised when it returned to normal. His big plan was to show it the wonders of the universe in his mind, and then was surprised when all it saw was hatred. This guy doesn't know what he's doing, and that's a facet of the Doctor we've not seen in awhile.

That's it. Thank you. You articulated exactly what I was trying to say but way better and with actual evidence in the form of his behavior, demeanor and plans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ImpulseDrive posted:

Next week, Capaldi will not be a merry man. He'll protest.

If they can add in more Star Trek references, that would be great. I didn't see any discussion about the "resistance if futile" thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I had a fit of giggles when Capaldi said the same thing at the end of the preview that I did when it first began.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

PassTheRemote posted:

Dalek Francis Urquhart will be fine.

YOU. MIGHT. THINK. THAT. I. COULDN'T. POSSIBLY. EXTERMINATE.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Plavski posted:

Seriously? They're gonna have a full-time, non-tin-dog, non-cuckolded husband male companion? Cos that would be the best decision since Capaldi's casting.

Yeah, despite the awkwardness of how he was exposited in as a character, I think he's gonna be cool. A far cry from the geeky Mickey/Rory boyfriend I thought he'd be.

Once again, as with Matt Smith, my judging a companion by the promo pics is an exercise in failure. :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does Dalek Frank Underwood have a really hammy South Kaled Dome drawl?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

YOU. MIGHT. THINK. THAT. I. COULDN'T. POSSIBLY. EXTERMINATE.

DADDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY!
_______/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

If they can add in more Star Trek references, that would be great. I didn't see any discussion about the "resistance if futile" thing.

Well, Trek stole that from Who . . .

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I watched this new one and liked it. With the last guy he'd have stuck the screwdriver in front of him to decode the antibodies or whatever and worked out a way to broadcast the dalek's morals onto the surrounding fleet in order to set up a branch of good daleks for the future. 'Ugh, spreading like marmalade' or some twee poo poo. I like Capaldi as it feels closer to what a time lord might be. A lord of time. Rather than the recent ones, I get more the impression that Capaldi is a good match for potential villains that would attempt to threaten the fabric of time in some way by being more pragmatic than whimsical. I'm looking forward to next week even if it only works out as a 'robots in the past' with Capaldi being a dick again.

I think the whole Missy thing will end up with the Doctor 'dying' and going to heaven, which is some sort of bizarro prison for the doctor to face all the deaths he was responsible for and they'll have some laser battle between the good guys and the bad guys. The good guys will win and Capaldi will get a monologue about how less good guys should die than bad guys and everyone is freed, except the Master. Maybe the Doctor will cry.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The biggest failing of this episode is that they didn't have a wide shot of the Doctor running.

We will, though, if the behind-the-scenes gifs are any indication

I like Mr. Pink as the traumatized ex-soldier; he could have been written better, but was good enough. Though I was totally expecting it to go the other way with Clara leaving -- she'd settle down with him because she can fix him. But Danny and the Doctor being pals and coming to terms with their similar pasts from opposite directions -- both have been soldiers, Pink's the type that gets PTSD, the Doctor's the type that ... doesn't, but is still hosed up by the experience -- is good too. Also you'd think after wiping out the Daleks, what, five times now?, the Doctor would've come to terms with the whole genocide thing.

As for the Doctor not liking soldiers, he seemed to get along just fine with Jack Harkness, with a bit of mild scolding whenever Jack pulled a gun. On the other hand, Jack didn't introduce himself by waving a gun in the Doctor's face.

And on a tangent from that, I must applaud the trigger discipline in this episode. LT Blue keeps her finger off the trigger when waving the gun around. It's rare that you see proper gun handling on TV, especially with the BBC, whose actors have likely never seen a real gun in person.

SiKboy posted:

Wait... There are people who dont think that Tennant did a lovely job of an english accent?
Eh, he did a better job at it than Jason Statham does at ... well, any accent, really. I liked his over-the-top fake Scottish accent in the episode with the werewolves and Queen Victoria, then saw an interview and realized that's how he actually talks. I'm glad to see a Scottish Doctor actually sounding Scottish. Though I am a bit disappointed Capaldi isn't allowed to cuss a blue streak. :scotland:

Speaking of which, is there anybody who still doesn't like Capaldi? You're entitled to your opinion and all (hell, I didn't watch any of Matt Smith's tenure because I didn't like his face), but have you watched The Thick of It? Once you've seen Malcolm Tucker berating some poor stupid bastard, Twelve looks like a saint. Also the end of the last episode is very similar to 12's arc, realizing what a bad person he was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I cannot read most of this thread right now, because I can't see Into the Dalek until tomorrow, but I just had to say that the end of Big Finish's Gallifrey Season 2 (Imperiatrix) is loving amazing. Gallifrey is a convoluted political drama, but goddamn if the end isn't very, very Doctor Who. If you're interested in listening to it, do yourself a favor and don't spoil it for yourself.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 1, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Speaking of Big Finish, are there any rumors or word on Matt Smith doing any 11th audio stories?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AndyElusive posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, are there any rumors or word on Matt Smith doing any 11th audio stories?

I don't know but I'd listen.

I like Capaldi but I'm gonna miss Smith anyway. Fortunately for me, he's probably going to be on board for any future reunion specials!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AndyElusive posted:

Not until they get the license for modern Doctor Who.

The most recent chance for them was when AudioGo folded last year, but they gave the license to BBC Books or somesuch instead.

I'd suspect they did so because Big Finish's output is of far higher quality and complexity than AudioGo or other audiobook companies, and therefore raised issues of competition with the TV series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Big Finish doesn't have the license for anything involving the revival series, so there is no point in even talking to those actors (I think they might even be prohibited from talking to them at all?) - otherwise we'd be onto season 4 or 5 of The Tenth Doctor Adventures by now, with each season consisting of 25+ episodes and all of them written by Tennant.

I think the only exception came during the 50th when Big Finish was tangentially involved in some Revival stories narrated by companions? And when Big Finish has very carefully blurred the lines by taking a character introduced in a revival-era book tie-in and brought them into the Big Finish range.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

DADDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY!
_______/

I love this post more than words could possibly express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For some reason I thought there were already Big Finish 10th stories. Or maybe I just got the fact that Tennant has voiced characters in Big Finish audios before confused with them doing 10 adventures.

Either way I hope they eventually sort that poo poo out.

• Locked thread