Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

And when Big Finish has very carefully blurred the lines by taking a character introduced in a revival-era book tie-in and brought them into the Big Finish range.

Not quite. The Dalek Time Controller showed up in the Six story Patient Zero, followed by some EDA BF Audios before his appearance in the BBC Books Eleventh Doctor novel The Dalek Generation (penned by Nick Briggs) - BUT that novel is the first time the Dalek Time Controller interacts with the Doctor from the Time Controller's perspective, setting up his Big Finish appearances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of which, is there anybody who still doesn't like Capaldi? You're entitled to your opinion and all (hell, I didn't watch any of Matt Smith's tenure because I didn't like his face), but have you watched The Thick of It? Once you've seen Malcolm Tucker berating some poor stupid bastard, Twelve looks like a saint. Also the end of the last episode is very similar to 12's arc, realizing what a bad person he was.

Capaldi's doing a very good job at being the Doctor he wanted to be, but so far the Doctor he wanted to be is kind of a shitbag. I particularly dislike his constantly negging Clara. It's weird and uncomfortable.

The overwhelming theme of Matt Smith's tenure was 'getting really, really old tends to make you really, really kind', and I found that sense of optimism refreshing. Capaldi's Doctor is the complete opposite of that so far. He's got his ideals, but he doesn't seem particularly bothered about the little people who might get in the way of them. It's not necessarily a new facet of his character, and it's probably just a matter of personal preference, but I think I've always warmed to the 'good' Doctors - Troughton, Davison, C. Baker (yes, really), McGann, Eccleston (yes, really) and Smith.

But who knows what'll happen - maybe Capaldi will mellow like Hartnell did.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Capladi seems very intentionally like Hartnell in a lot of ways, starting basically from scratch and all that, so him progressing throughout his run won't be a surprising arc, but a very solid one anyway.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

As for the Doctor not liking soldiers, he seemed to get along just fine with Jack Harkness, with a bit of mild scolding whenever Jack pulled a gun. On the other hand, Jack didn't introduce himself by waving a gun in the Doctor's face.

Not to mention Jamie, who was a soldier. And Wilf. I'm sure there were others...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Not to mention Jamie, who was a soldier. And Wilf. I'm sure there were others...

Kate Stewart's father, for one.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I hated last week, but I thought this was perfectly fine. It probably helped I didn't try and watch it straight after an episode of True Detective this week.

Whilst I'm sure the plot stood up to no scrutiny whatsoever, and it gave us nothing new thematically, it flowed nicely and I loved Ben Wheatley's direction. I've only seen Sightseers out of his films, but he seems really good at doing dreamscape stuff and the fact that the central conceit of this episode was kind of dumb meant it was suited to lots of trippy slow-mo Daleks. I wonder if he had any input into the score because I also enjoyed that, it had an excellent surreal edge, almost like the olden days.

If it wasn't a great Doctor Who episode it was at least a visually fascinating bit of television and I'm cool with that.

I enjoyed Capaldi, and Clara actually felt like a character and was written for!

The new theme is growing on me, I just don't like the tremolo in the melody. I like the heavy synth bass which seems like a nod to the Howell theme, although I think that was already in last season's.

edit: the Twelfth Doctor is too grimdark but so was Ten sometimes, at least this guy might be consistent

Psybro fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 1, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Kate Stewart's father, for one.

Rory for another if you consider a roman centurion a soldier.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm glad we'll hopefully see more of Danny Pink, I liked his character, he's basically the Doctor in emotions which is good. I liked him a lot. Plus this allows for some romance to be introduced.

I watched this again and still think it's great, dunno I really like Capaldi's doctor.

Also that Lady is totally the loving Valeyard.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I cannot read most of this thread right now, because I can't see Into the Dalek until tomorrow, but I just had to say that the end of Big Finish's Gallifrey Season 2 (Imperiatrix) is loving amazing. Gallifrey is a convoluted political drama, but goddamn if the end isn't very, very Doctor Who. If you're interested in listening to it, do yourself a favor and don't spoil it for yourself.

I'll agree with this. There were some stories a little later in that series that bored me a bit too much but it got back on track again soon afterwards.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I'd say that the soldiers thing is probably a new development. I mean I don't think he's been a fan of the true rank-and-file type but that type isn't really restricted to soldiers and he disliked them in general.

Maybe the "hate soldiers" thing is a throwaway thing, or maybe Mr Pink will help him figure out that he's being an idiot. We will see!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hollismason posted:

Dream Lord: Look look, I even dressed up as one of those "quirky" ladies you seem to love carting around with you like you were Truman Capote :jerkbag:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

DADDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY!
_______/

DE-FE-NE-STRATE! DE-FE-NE-STRATE!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Capladi seems very intentionally like Hartnell in a lot of ways, starting basically from scratch and all that, so him progressing throughout his run won't be a surprising arc, but a very solid one anyway.

Hartnell? HARTNELL!? /sixthdoctor

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With regards to Twelve doing lots of math in the last episode and having chalkboards around in this one, I like the idea that he's still working on the calcuations on exactly how to pull off the scheme to hide Gallifrey. At some point (almost certainly offscreen) he will realise that he needs to go help and pop back to make his appearance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

With regards to Twelve doing lots of math in the last episode and having chalkboards around in this one, I like the idea that he's still working on the calcuations on exactly how to pull off the scheme to hide Gallifrey. At some point (almost certainly offscreen) he will realise that he needs to go help and pop back to make his appearance.

That or something related to it (how to extract Gallifrey from its pocket dimension).

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

DoctorWhat posted:

That or something related to it (how to extract Gallifrey from its pocket dimension).

That's what I've been assuming he's working on. Having Time Lords back will be a huge game changer for the new series' stories. I will literally piss myself if they bring back the white and black guardians, too.

Also, just as an aside, I am possibly in love with Capaldi in this role.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Senor Tron posted:

He should already remember that he was there, so he knows that he'll have to do that, right? wasn't the implication that 11 remembered the events of Time of the Doctor? And if so, why didn't he realize he's going to regenerate in Day of the Doctor?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pigbog posted:

He should already remember that he was there, so he knows that he'll have to do that, right? wasn't the implication that 11 remembered the events of Time of the Doctor? And if so, why didn't he realize he's going to regenerate in Day of the Doctor?

I've read theories that the presence of Twelve and/or The Curator in Day made Eleven a "past Doctor" for the sake of the multi-Doctor story rules to some degree or another, and his memories of Day were compromised as a result.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pigbog posted:

The General and his staff spot his TARDIS, there's no indication that any of the other Doctors (who were pretty busy at the time!) did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hell even if they did, they might have just thoguht it was ANOTHER Seventh Doctor showing up to hog the glory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Hell even if they did, they might have just thoguht it was ANOTHER Seventh Doctor showing up to hog the glory.

Haha, in fact don't they show an older and younger version of the 7th Doctor during that section? :haw:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, in fact don't they show an older and younger version of the 7th Doctor during that section? :haw:

Yes they did. In DW Magazine, Moffat answered where the Companions were during the past-Doctor clips, then was disappointed when no one asked "The McCoy question".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DoctorWhat posted:

I've read theories that the presence of Twelve and/or The Curator in Day made Eleven a "past Doctor" for the sake of the multi-Doctor story rules to some degree or another, and his memories of Day were compromised as a result.

I think it'd be a mistake to get too caught up in untangling the rules here; Doctor Who's always worked more at an emotional, intuitive level than an intellectual one. Day was framed as Eleven's story and was part of Eleven's run- until the show suggests otherwise, I'm going to take it as read that Eleven was the primary.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What question is that?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am so very glad there are threads like these on this glorious forum.

This episode kicked rear end

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think it'd be a mistake to get too caught up in untangling the rules here; Doctor Who's always worked more at an emotional, intuitive level than an intellectual one. Day was framed as Eleven's story and was part of Eleven's run- until the show suggests otherwise, I'm going to take it as read that Eleven was the primary.

Oh, absolutely - I'm not huge on rules anyway. I just felt like throwing that out there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd be more inclined to say that all the Daleks in the parliament think they're the Chief Whip.

Isasmuch as they electro-whip lesser life forms before exterminating them.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Negatives? Well, I felt Clara would be a writer nightmare after The Name Of The Doctor because she knew too much, having been subtly influencing him since before he even left Gallifrey through 50 years of TV adventures and ostensibly so much else. She even found the Time Warrior-Doctor kept in a lockbox that he didn't want her to see. So after having seen so much through the Doctor's eyes, why would she possibly be so naively optimistic when it comes to Daleks? She ought to know better.

I really don't think she remembers any of her other lives. She didn't recognize Vastra for instance, when modern day Clara first went to Victorian London. I don't think she's even aware of it in the abstract.

After all, one of Clara's lives literally was a good Dalek. You'd think that would have come up at some point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ashez2ashes posted:

I really don't think she remembers any of her other lives.

The Doctor asks her about it in Day of the Doctor and her answer indicates that she has basically very vague and undefined memories of what happened when she jumped into the Doctor's "scar"

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Hollismason posted:

Next season... Gallifrey returns in... Another Trial of The Same Timelord Again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

PriorMarcus posted:

What question is that?

If you look at the display screens the Doctors use to speak to the War Council, you see two McCoys-one clip from the show itself, another one which is clearly from the TV movie. The implication is two versions of the Seventh Doctor showed up to freeze Gallifrey.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

I think it's mostly that he just doesn't give a rat's arse about most people - he's very early First Doctor in that respect. Also, someone in the last thread noted about how insecure and unsure 12 is, which I think is quite true. He's similar to early Hartnell in that respect, in that he doesn't have all the answers, and has to fumble around and gently caress things up occasionally. It's definitely a big change from 11, who was basically a loving wizard, and easily the most competent Doctor to date.
My favorite part about this is that they get to do all this without regressing him. He isn't just erasing fifty years of character development. He has the same tactics and ideas as Eleven, but he just doesn't lie to everybody about it like Eleven did.

Where Eleven was

"What are you going to do?"

"Something brilliant. Just you wait!" (Thinking, "I'd better come up with something.")

Twelve is more

"What are you going to do?"

"Haven't a clue, but it'll be something good."

And he believes it. He believes it so much that we believe it, and whoever he's talking to believes it.

And we're even given a reason for it. Eleven was the one who forgets. He's running from the time war. It's why he's so young. He's competent when he avoids the atrocities he's involved in and isn't distracted by them but that came at a price, and now that he's actualized; now that he's facing his whole past and finally, finally dealing with it, he's full of doubt, angry, short with people, and best of all, confident anyway. He's old now because he's ready to face himself and his actions.

Narratively speaking, I'm very much going to enjoy the moment(s) that Capaldi finally gets to be a kind old Santa Claus, because they will, in truth, be earned. They'll mean more.

Senor Tron posted:

Though this would make me happy in so many ways, it would also be an anticlimax of crazy proportions if they didn't dedicate an entire episode to it, and those aren't good for my heart.

Edit: Still waiting for my eye stalk, J-Ru! :colbert:

Also, this is your yearly reminder that I gave you that nickname.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 1, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Here's something Mr Pink might be a part of: emotional responses to death. In this episode Clara sees first hand two people dying horrible, agonising deaths and hears the results of hundreds more. And yet, when she comes out of the closet, you barely recognise any emotional repercussions. When Pink is asked about whoever he killed, he cries in front of school kids. I hope that they make something of the different reactions.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I cannot read most of this thread right now, because I can't see Into the Dalek until tomorrow, but I just had to say that the end of Big Finish's Gallifrey Season 2 (Imperiatrix) is loving amazing. Gallifrey is a convoluted political drama, but goddamn if the end isn't very, very Doctor Who. If you're interested in listening to it, do yourself a favor and don't spoil it for yourself.

Since I finished this just before the lead-in to the new season, I didn't get a chance to post anything about it myself, but yes. This series is fantastic - in part, because it's essentially a spin-off of Neverland (and we all know how we feel about that), but also the way it combine Babylon 5-style Space Politics/Ancient Evil with classic 70s Who Ham.

Season two is an unabashed remake of Zagreus. And against all odds, they do it right this time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes they did. In DW Magazine, Moffat answered where the Companions were during the past-Doctor clips, then was disappointed when no one asked "The McCoy question".

So where were the companions, then?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

The annual party at Adric's grave.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

They were all just off-camera, because the Doctor likes to do his big show-stopping numbers alone and shooed them out of frame.

Which is wonderfully metatextual.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Speaking of which, I like how Capaldi just drops Clara off at the end of each episode. It means decades of eventual Big Finish stories with a million different companions, each more fantastic than the last!

Please?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

And Wilf. I'm sure there were others...

Wilf did National Service. (Ian was the right age to have been called up either for the war or National Service as well.) Being conscripted is an entirely different kettle of fish to career volunteer soldiers like the Brigadier and his men, who it took a long time of working with every day for the Doctor to warm up to.

And, of course, let's not forget that HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Delivery McGee posted:

Eh, he did a better job at it than Jason Statham does at ... well, any accent, really. I liked his over-the-top fake Scottish accent in the episode with the werewolves and Queen Victoria, then saw an interview and realized that's how he actually talks.

A bit like Dominic West in The Wire and Hugh Laurie in House when they put on stupid English accents.

Jurgan posted:

Finally, the Dalek Parliament makes sense! It's a pep rally!

Here's a question: do people in America realise quite how fundamentally weird the concept of a pep rally is?

• Locked thread