Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Billy the Mountain posted:

The decision to tell the client or not was made way above my head, and for me to blow the whistle would result in my immediate termination. I got one kid with a second on the way, and I know for a fact I will not find another job doing what I do and making what I make.
But yeah. It is the "Hope they don't ask for backups older than a month.

We racked and fired up a Datto the day the Zenith BDR got pulled, so they do have backups, just not going back more than a month.

Since this law firm is used to keeping everything and never deleting anything, most of our restores for them are usually the "restore something accidentally deleted within the last day" variety.

I don't agree with the decision, it is unethical, immoral, and short sighted. Everything I did is documented to hell and back, and my team lead witnessed what I did and has my back 110%.

If you're going to be extremely unethical and lie to your client you should at least do it in a way that covers your rear end.

Tell them the Zenith caught on fire or something, and then sell them some offsite backups. Bam, now you're getting more money and they don't think you're hilariously, insanely, wildly incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the whole point of those appliances is that they backup to the cloud, and that's the contract that was cancelled. So an appliance failure shouldn't be a problem.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
If what the company did was truly illegal, and it was Billy's job to tell them (which is unlikely in most business relationships), then maybe he'd face some liability. But if he followed company policy and the company dropped the ball, I can't see how it would be his fault. Yes, the company acted unethically, but so did my last company. It still took me 2+ years to :yotj: and that was after I decided to be ok with taking a step down career-wise in the interest of working somewhere with a more-lucrative ladder to climb.

Anyway, if there's a legality issue, it's probably the client's statutory responsibility to retain the documents and not Billy's company.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the whole point of those appliances is that they backup to the cloud, and that's the contract that was cancelled. So an appliance failure shouldn't be a problem.

You'd think that if they were sensible, the cloud company would keep the backups safe for a while, even if the contract were cancelled.

Same way that some alarm companies will respond to alarm calls from closed contracts in case it turns out to be a cock-up on their part that the contract got cancelled and they get sued if they fail to response and Something Bad happens.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
They're definitely committing contractual fraud, which honestly is hard to tell whether or not it's criminal fraud or not. Usually in the states that's hard to do. Like really hard to do. Either way they're lying about the contract they made with a client, thus are committing fraud.

There's no way Billy's going to be at fault, but I mean you're working at a place that is complacent with lying, and acting in bad faith. I don't know how you could not be looking immediately. It's not a good sign.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
A ticket came in.

I work in networking for a managed hosting company, and this one customer doesn't seem to have a complete grasp of the English language. They have picked up a few buzzwords here and there, and have been throwing in one buzzword in particular a little too often. I'm not sure they actually know what it means, they just think that combination of jargon will get things done quicker. So this gem came in:

quote:

Please change the firewall rules to allow our office IP x.x.x.x to access our servers.

This is very important so please do the needful and revert.

:crossarms:

Okie dokie!

code:
firewall(config)# access-list outside extended permit ip host x.x.x.x any
firewall(config)# no access-list outside extended permit ip host x.x.x.x any
firewall(config)# wr mem

quote:

Thanks for sending in your ticket! As you have requested I made the changes to enable access from your office IP to your servers, and then I reverted the change. If you need anything else please feel free to give us a call!
[CLOSE TICKET]

"Do the needful" is an old chestnut that our customers in India have been using for a while, but they all seem to have jumped on the "please revert" bandwagon as well. Even if they don't completely grasp what it means. Point in case, another ticket from a couple nights ago, same customer.

quote:

CUSTOMER: Our network is unreachable! Please revert!

foghorn: Uh, our records indicate that your firewall configuration hasn't changed in over six months. What would you like me to revert?

It's like "revert" is a magic word he uses when he wants something done but doesn't know exactly what.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

foghorn posted:

"Do the needful" is an old chestnut that our customers in India have been using for a while, but they all seem to have jumped on the "please revert" bandwagon as well. Even if they don't completely grasp what it means. Point in case, another ticket from a couple nights ago, same customer.

It's like "revert" is a magic word he uses when he wants something done but doesn't know exactly what.

Yeah, I run into that a lot. It's usually "Please revert back to us", which I usually take to mean something closer to "please report back to us", I guess?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The last two pages of this thread has been eye opening. Like holy poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I run into that a lot. It's usually "Please revert back to us", which I usually take to mean something closer to "please report back to us", I guess?

Pretty much, yeah. Used to work for an international college that got a lot of west asian students and they tended to word things like that too. No matter how many times you try to tell 'em, though..

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My last firm did tons of international stuff and "please revert" = "please get back to me when it's done"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Our offshore resources like to use the word "same."

As in,

"I have encountered X problem and have contacted Y resource and informed them of same."

They also like to just skip poo poo on QAs if they don't understand it. Yesterday I asked one of them to keep an eye on an environment that his team is supposed to be monitoring [and requires its own standalone utility for monitoring] and was informed that they haven't had access to the utility for over a week - and he is by far the best employee from his office.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 31, 2014

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I do enjoy words that users/external audiences latch on to as if it's a magic spell.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
When someone called me a "resource" to my face I told them not to ever call me that again.

I'm a human, not a pile of iron or some lumber.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

hackedaccount posted:

When someone called me a "resource" to my face I told them not to ever call me that again.

Big business says otherwise

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

hackedaccount posted:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Time to build a settlement (or a road + knight if the barbarians are close to striking!)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

hackedaccount posted:

My company has a metric called "resource utilization" -- it's the amount of time you've logged in the ticketing system out of how much time you were supposed to have logged, it is the prime metric on a weekly report for our activity and no one actually checks what you've logged time in :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

hackedaccount posted:

When they dismantled my department and made me and a fuckton of my colleagues redundant, the HR person kept referring to it as "This piece of change". I guess that's because "showing you the door and sending your work to Poland" doesn't trip off the tongue as well.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I hate the word 'resource' in that context too, and will usually just use the obvious replacement: 'people'. If I'm talking to particularly corporate-doublespeak-loving sectors of management I will stretch so far as to use the word 'personnel'.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

We have an entire team dedicated to resourcing.

You request project members by resourcing them.

It bothers me a lot but it's so heavily ingrained into the corporate culture that it will never go away.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

hackedaccount posted:

If HUMANS are RESOURCES, why can't we STRIP-MINE them?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

luminalflux posted:

I see you're unfamiliar with U.S. labor laws.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

luminalflux posted:

In certain less reputable places of dimly lit business, you can!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

hackedaccount posted:

I know that crappy bosses think of us this way, and I can't change that, but I do require that they at least make a believable effort to show that they consider me an individual. If they can't even be bothered to pretend, well, they're going to end up with a pretty low-yield resource.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not sure how I feel about employers openly describing employees as resources. In a way, its nice that they're at least being honest about the relationship instead of pretending that they care until the day they kick you on your rear end to get a few extra dollars on the quarterly earnings.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about employers openly describing employees as resources. In a way, its nice that they're at least being honest about the relationship instead of pretending that they care until the day they kick you on your rear end to get a few extra dollars on the quarterly earnings.

I'm fine with being considered as a tool, as long as my employer is fine with me considering my job as nothing more than a means to legally acquire copious amounts of alcohol and shiny objects to make my life feel slightly less empty.

Oh who am I kidding. They expect our undying loyalty, even after we're laid off so our VP can get a bigger bonus.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm glad we don't provide iPhones for employees so that I won't have to deal with iCloud security questions on Tuesday.

Who am I kidding, I am already getting texts about it. My answer - "I don't know, I use an Android."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
"I don't know, did you sleep with Verlander too?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a project manager, I need developers.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
SO, finally back at the office after a month of holidays. mainly beer and fishing.

First thing in the morning I got a verbal rebuke from my boss because I had ASCII graphics on my out-of-office notification.

how do you like them f'king apples.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Send him an apology e-mail with an ascii goatse

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had someone complain that my out of office just said "Gone fishing, back on <date>. Email <IT group email> if urgent." instead of being half a page of bullshit and padding. :rolleyes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had "don't call me unless poo poo is literally on fire" in my out of office message earlier this year. It brought a few chuckles. And zero phonecalls :sun:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wibla posted:

I had "don't call me unless poo poo is literally on fire" in my out of office message earlier this year. It brought a few chuckles. And zero phonecalls :sun:

I had a "don't call me unless you're actually on fire".

Had a colleague call me up screaming. Well played you motherfucker.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dogstile posted:

I had a "don't call me unless you're actually on fire".

Had a colleague call me up screaming. Well played you motherfucker.

Did he have third degree burns? If not, then he didn't follow your directions. :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our new helpdesk guy is going to piss a lot of people off if he carries on how he's started. Yes some clients (all of them) are colossal idiots, but you can't let them know that you think that. And being here for less than 8 weeks and telling people way above you that they aren't doing their jobs right isn't going to end well - sometimes the information you are given won't be complete or has changed, but you don't sit on your rear end and tell someone who has nothing to do with you that they hosed up and need to go and fix it. Sorry kid, you know what's up technically, but there's more to it than that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We had a guy start on the helpdesk oh, bout 18 months ago, who in our very first conversation, in some horribly misguided attempt to demonstrate how technical he is and how much he hoped to join my department, told me that he could "probably do your job". I'm known to have a bit of a quick wit but I didn't and still don't know what the gently caress to say to that. I did internalize the fact that he will never, for any reason, be in my department though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its not hard to figure out why some people never advance past entry level positions

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We had a guy start on the helpdesk oh, bout 18 months ago, who in our very first conversation, in some horribly misguided attempt to demonstrate how technical he is and how much he hoped to join my department, told me that he could "probably do your job". I'm known to have a bit of a quick wit but I didn't and still don't know what the gently caress to say to that. I did internalize the fact that he will never, for any reason, be in my department though.

I swear I vaguely remember you posting about this as well way back then. Jesus Christ has it already been 18 months since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Our new helpdesk guy is going to piss a lot of people off if he carries on how he's started. Yes some clients (all of them) are colossal idiots, but you can't let them know that you think that. And being here for less than 8 weeks and telling people way above you that they aren't doing their jobs right isn't going to end well - sometimes the information you are given won't be complete or has changed, but you don't sit on your rear end and tell someone who has nothing to do with you that they hosed up and need to go and fix it. Sorry kid, you know what's up technically, but there's more to it than that.

If somebody else is wrong about something that affects a client, the new guy should totally bring it up. The place a lot of people in this industry fail is at understanding when and how to bring it up.

• Locked thread