Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Yep, saved my rear end on my last trip. So worth the $35 I spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I guess I just have an iron rear end. 6500 miles on the stock Lightning seat, and I never had a problem.

I am packing for a trip down the Oregon and California coastlines next week. Florence to LA, and then back again. All I need is my sleeping bag and I am set.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReverendCode posted:

I guess I just have an iron rear end. 6500 miles on the stock Lightning seat, and I never had a problem.

I am packing for a trip down the Oregon and California coastlines next week. Florence to LA, and then back again. All I need is my sleeping bag and I am set.

Mostly because heat for me. On my 6000 mile trip last summer, 105 degree days on an aircooled Buell made me really appreciate the extra ventilation under my rear end.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Mostly because heat for me. On my 6000 mile trip last summer, 105 degree days on an aircooled Buell made me really appreciate the extra ventilation under my rear end.

I will admit riding into Vegas at 110 was brutal, but I had some water heater insulation under my seat, so I was more interested in spraying water into my helmet to keep my face cooler.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

You're gonna have the whole board converted eventually.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

Completely depends on the helmet. I had to rig up a ridiculous arm to make it work

Pictured: ridiculous arm, ridiculous mullet

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was rayelin' da gap all day and my hair tie came undone GOD :arghfist::qq:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You borrowing your dad's glasses?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Weak burn, and from a guy that doesn't even ride. You woulda loved my hipster glasses but they were broken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's easy to tell, who's been to the book shop and who hasn't.

I lost my glasses :(

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I really don't need 2 bikes, Thinking of selling the Daytona and the GS to buy a Scrambler...

Has anyone here ridden one? thinking of going to test ride one tomorrow.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
That's why hipsters don't wear full-face helmets. There's no way they could get their huge eyeglasses in there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

theperminator posted:

I really don't need 2 bikes, Thinking of selling the Daytona and the GS to buy a Scrambler...

Not ridden one but a guy I worked with had a thruxton for commuting. He echoed the same sentiments I've heard on the net that the engine is a little boring but it sounds nice and the suspension really benefits from a basic ohlins swap on the back and emulators on the front. Good solid bikes with under stressed and highly developed motors

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MoraleHazard posted:

That's why hipsters don't wear full-face helmets. There's no way they could get their huge eyeglasses in there.

Gotta go Nolan... Huge viewports AND Italian. Hipsters should love them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

MoraleHazard posted:

I can't wear my Hipster Glasses in my helmet because it hurts my widdle face. But all my pairs of regular glasses work Ok.

Most of the time, though, it's contacts and a mirrored visor.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Starting my second day of classroom work for my MSF tonight and get to hit the range tomorrow. I can not be more excited and I am going to have to figure out a way to hold off riding a motorcycle until I actually go get my license on Monday.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

theperminator posted:

Modern Triumph Scrambler? I've test ridden a few. They look beautiful, but not a huge fan. The 180 degree crank makes a less appealing noise, they're pretty heavy, not a lot of power, and they're a lot taller than the Bonnevilles, so you really feel the weight. They do look great though.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Ah ok, might give it a miss then.

The description given pretty much matches how I feel about my F700GS so there's no point in paying money to get much the same.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Guys, I installed an aftermarket exhaust on my cbr250 (original was butt ugly and too quiet). Looks awesome, saved about 5kg and the sound is epic, but holy hell is it loud. As in: considering putting on ear protection loud. From what I can tell I've put it together properly (was a whole system), and all the noise seems to be coming from the can. If I've left a leak somewhere (which I've checked for and can't find) could this be making it much louder? Or should I invest in ear protection?

This wasn't even one of those stupid short can, it's a decent-sized 350mm can that's roughly as large as the original.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

You should be wearing earplugs regardless of your exhaust if you're going above 35 mph.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
See if it's got a quieting insert that you didn't put in. If it doesn't, it's not too hard to make one.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

You should be wearing earplugs regardless of your exhaust if you're going above 35 mph.

I was considering it anyway.

Snowdens Secret posted:

See if it's got a quieting insert that you didn't put in. If it doesn't, it's not too hard to make one.

Nope, it's with the DB killer in. Can't imagine what it's like without it!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Barnsy posted:

I was considering it anyway.

Nope, it's with the DB killer in. Can't imagine what it's like without it!

Did it have a sticker on it saying "Not for road use" on it?

That would explain the noise

Edit: Also is it CE marked?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah what aftermarket pipe is it

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
My local Plod have put this video up on YouTube to make people think about their speed and to pay attention while on the road.

Warning: Its the GoPro video of a guy who was killed on the road and only stops a frame before he hits the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c

Made my palms sweat at the end

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yikes.

FYI it doesn't stop before the crash. They show the whole thing.

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 6, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

My local Plod have put this video up on YouTube to make people think about their speed and to pay attention while on the road.

Warning: Its the GoPro video of a guy who was killed on the road and only stops a frame before he hits the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c

Made my palms sweat at the end

It's funny how almost every biker instantly does the Right Stuff thing when they see that video. "Couldn't happen to me, too fast for the conditions, I could have got around that car...". The point is it could, and all the training, electronic gizmos, and gear in the world won't save you if it's your time.

Take from it that you should always be aware that life is short and you should probably have fun along the way (and also have good insurance for your loved ones).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Take from it that you should always be aware that life is short and you should probably have fun along the way (and also have good insurance for your loved ones).
That's a nice twitter-length zen buddhist perspective on it. On the other hand a sane intelligent person will take from that video that you shouldn't ride 40mph over the speed limit in areas with cross traffic.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That was my thought too, but I didn't want to be jumped on for being insensitive. Still awful that it ended up being the worst possible outcome.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's a nice twitter-length zen buddhist perspective on it. On the other hand a sane intelligent person will take from that video that you shouldn't ride 40mph over the speed limit in areas with cross traffic.

That's what I took from the video as well. But many of us check our sanity from time to time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

That was my thought too, but I didn't want to be jumped on for being insensitive. Still awful that it ended up being the worst possible outcome.

Nah, gently caress sensitive. Guy made a poo poo decision for reasons (presumably idotic ones) and now he's another drop of water in the gigantic barrel marked [BAN BIKES]. I hate poo poo like this because it makes the rest of us look bad. It has no effect on making other riders 'think about road safety' because if they do, they always have and the video just makes them shake their heads in dismay. If they don't, the video won't change their view one way or another. The only thing it does is make people who don't ride abhor the whole thing even more and make it even less likely for rider friendly legislation and popular perception to gain traction.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People in glass houses

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh right you're talking about that time I did 40mp/h over the speed limit in a busy traffic area, crashed into a car and subsequently died? Sick burn.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Slavvy since you're a ghost does your red dirtbike leave a flame trail between cars when you split lanes?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Did it have a sticker on it saying "Not for road use" on it?

That would explain the noise

Edit: Also is it CE marked?

Nah, it's a Delkevic 350mm full pipe. Apparently road legal in the UK, here in OZ I don't think rules are as strict.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Nah, gently caress sensitive. Guy made a poo poo decision for reasons (presumably idotic ones) and now he's another drop of water in the gigantic barrel marked [BAN BIKES]. I hate poo poo like this because it makes the rest of us look bad. It has no effect on making other riders 'think about road safety' because if they do, they always have and the video just makes them shake their heads in dismay. If they don't, the video won't change their view one way or another. The only thing it does is make people who don't ride abhor the whole thing even more and make it even less likely for rider friendly legislation and popular perception to gain traction.

I agree with this. A lot of riders apparently have the mentality that riding above the speed limit is ok ('lol we were taking the 80k zones at 150 so the turns are fun'). This is the end result. At 40mph less, the driver would have had more time to see him and the rider would have had more time to react and possibly save his life. You can watch the video and see that from the time the rider saw the car to the time of impact, he only had time to take his fingers off the gas.

What do you think the end result of this video will be? People will watch it and think 'bikers are dumb riding that fast, plus you can die in a second', and we lose even more respect from other motorists.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dictionar.com posted:

Slavvy since you're a ghost does your red dirtbike leave a flame trail between cars when you split lanes?

It leaves a trail of white-hot public outrage.

Barnsy posted:

I agree with this. A lot of riders apparently have the mentality that riding above the speed limit is ok ('lol we were taking the 80k zones at 150 so the turns are fun'). This is the end result. At 40mph less, the driver would have had more time to see him and the rider would have had more time to react and possibly save his life. You can watch the video and see that from the time the rider saw the car to the time of impact, he only had time to take his fingers off the gas.

What do you think the end result of this video will be? People will watch it and think 'bikers are dumb riding that fast, plus you can die in a second', and we lose even more respect from other motorists.

I break the speed limit routinely (keeping in mind I think only the UK has blanket limits as low as NZ), there just isn't anyone around when I do. As with everything, it's a question of judgement and good sense.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

I think it's interesting to note that (according to an article I read a couple of days ago attached to this video), the police prosecuted the driver involved despite the speed the bike was traveling at because he admitted not seeing the bike or the car behind it, while multiple other drivers all reported no trouble seeing the car. Clearly the rider majorly limited his options by doing such a speed, but the cops not just pointing at the rider and blaming it all on his speed is something, I guess?

Barnsy posted:

Nah, it's a Delkevic 350mm full pipe. Apparently road legal in the UK, here in OZ I don't think rules are as strict.

Your pipe is almost certainly illegally loud here, we do have pretty strict rules AFAIK, but many get away with it. IMO the bigger issue is, like the situation with the speeding rider, the affect that obnoxious exhausts have on public perception of riders. Pretty much any aftermarket pipe on a thumper immediately puts your bike in "gently caress that thing is so loving loud" territory.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 7, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Your pipe is almost certainly illegally loud here, we do have pretty strict rules AFAIK, but many get away with it. IMO the bigger issue is, like the situation with the speeding rider, the affect that obnoxious exhausts have on public perception of riders. Pretty much any aftermarket pipe on a thumper immediately puts your bike in "gently caress that thing is so loving loud" territory.

According to the NSW EPA website, the noise level should be 94dB. It says nothing about distance from the vehicle, so it's pretty meaningless. I don't think it's miles louder than that, and frankly I've passed hundreds of harley riders that are miles louder than I am.

As far as noisy as hell thumpers, I chose this exhaust for that exact reason. It's supposedly one of the more quiet exhausts for the CBR, don't want to know what the loud ones are like. The idea wasn't to be obnoxious but to have an exhaust that's less ugly than stock and only slightly louder (at speed you just can't hear it on the road).

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Barnsy posted:

According to the NSW EPA website, the noise level should be 94dB. It says nothing about distance from the vehicle, so it's pretty meaningless. I don't think it's miles louder than that, and frankly I've passed hundreds of harley riders that are miles louder than I am.

As far as noisy as hell thumpers, I chose this exhaust for that exact reason. It's supposedly one of the more quiet exhausts for the CBR, don't want to know what the loud ones are like. The idea wasn't to be obnoxious but to have an exhaust that's less ugly than stock and only slightly louder (at speed you just can't hear it on the road).

AFAIK it's measured at a specific distance and angle from the rear of the bike, at a specific engine speed. It's probably in the ADRs.