Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Powercrazy posted:

Where's the misogyny though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Every time I read about gamers or the people involved in making video games I..I don't like it. I don't like them. Nobody has such strong opinions about Monopoly or Hungry Hungry Hippos. That's all I'm playing from now on!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
monopoly is an extremely loving bad game, basically the only thing it's good for is a teaching tool to sort of vaguely illustrate concepts about capitalism to kids. checkmate.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Nobody has such strong opinions about Monopoly

You could not be more wrong

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

E1M1 posted:

yeah, i'm just lolling that slanderer's trying to spin this breaking of their relationship as something that the writer totally wanted and all according to plan when having a connection with a major news outlet severed over a retarded thing you did, even if you're "only freelance"," is a pretty big deal

It is darkly hilarious how many people are willingly black-balling their own careers. Jenn is probs never going to work for a serious paper again.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Nobody has such strong opinions about Monopoly or Hungry Hungry Hippos. That's all I'm playing from now on!

the Monopoly mascot is a rich white man and Hungry Hungry Hippos is thin-privileged as gently caress, hth

e: also die cis scum, etc.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They said they will be talking about this during their 3rd segment which starts ~5 pm EST.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

turnways posted:

the Monopoly mascot is a rich white man and Hungry Hungry Hippos is thin-privileged as gently caress, hth

DONT EVEN START ON DON'T WAKE DADDY.

That game is my trigger

Also operation doesn't include trans changing so clearly its another CIS male game.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
IIRC the segment with Adam Baldwin and IA starts at 5 EST (~25 minutes from now)

Also this is neat, I wonder what will come of it:

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Al Borland posted:

DONT EVEN START ON DON'T WAKE DADDY.

That game is my trigger

just try and playing hungry hungry hippos with me and NOT wake daddy :colbert:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Falsum posted:

IIRC the segment with Adam Baldwin and IA starts at 5 EST (~25 minutes from now)

Also this is neat, I wonder what will come of it:

I can't tell if he is being sincere or not about actually making their bloggers have some form of integrity in writing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

turnways posted:

Fine! I'll just play with myself then.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anal Papist posted:

It's just two nerds talking bollocks about ISIS when are they getting onto important topics like the fall of civilisation in the form of gamersgate?

Edit: lol they are praising David Cameroon and imagine he has the political clout to fight ISIS in a ground war when he has barely enough support to open a supermarket.

Internet Aristocrat also has a video about ARE NIGE et al and it's hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBclkdUFUQ

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 4, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Itzena posted:

Grauniad

:stare:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Is Nigel basically British Ron Paul? If so, why would you ever think he and his party would gain any sort of meaningful control over Parliament?

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Hahahahaha this is loving brilliant!

Edit: ^^ Imagine Ron Paul untied the Tea party and every other vaguely right wing/racist/xenophobic politician.

This was their leader before big NIGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZ86GYoxE0

Anal Papist fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 4, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Is Nigel basically British Ron Paul? If so, why would you ever think he and his party would gain any sort of meaningful control over Parliament?
because england is a toilet.

citation: i'm an english

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

because england is a toilet.

citation: i'm an english

Can't be worse than America. You guys don't have to deal with Texas's bullshit.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lmao this reporter on this radio programme is all "you have no idea how hard it is to be an israeli they have so little land they live under siege :ohdear:" lmbo

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Zombies' Downfall posted:

monopoly is an extremely loving bad game, basically the only thing it's good for is a teaching tool to sort of vaguely illustrate concepts about capitalism to kids. checkmate.
Monopoly was based on a game made by some Quakers to show that unfettered capitalism ends up with one person with all the money and everyone else bankrupt and pissed off.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
the additional 1,000 acres we recently acquired has only served to worsen my agoraphobia

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The Adam Baldwin Show with friends is live (for real this time)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

SunAndSpring posted:

Imagine a rich white guy.

Now imagine that rich white guy told you that the continent 10 times your size 35 miles to the East was wall to wall thieving, smelly poors, who wanted to come over to your house, gently caress your daughter, turn your son into a gay Muslim, steal your TV, and take your job.

Now set that guy loose in a parliamentary system. Behold UKIP.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
How did this turn into the UK parliament thread?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Really digging this round table.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I kinda agree with Baldwin, though a lot of this makes sense if you brush off just how horrible people have been to each other over this.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

Can't be worse than America. You guys don't have to deal with Texas's bullshit.

Actually Texas owns, sorry you are a regionalist fuckwit though.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Internet Aristocrat unironically defending gone home, and SJWs demanding proof of trans status I love this thread.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Slate: gamergate explodes: gaming journalists declare the gamers are over but they are the ones becoming obsolete

Slate posted:

Slate readers are over, declining—a dead demographic.

Why on Earth would I start a column with this thesis? There is no faster way to alienate my audience—that is, the people who pay my bills. And yet, this is exactly what writers at not one but half a dozen online gaming publications did to their audiences last week, and it points to a significant shift in the business of gaming. Gamers are not over, but gaming journalism is.

Some background: Recently, there were some egregious incidents of harassment in the gaming community, as I covered in a previous piece. The harassment story quickly spiraled into a much larger fight, clumsily dubbed #GamerGate, between an angry, mostly anonymous mass of gamers and the gaming press. The fight blew up on Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, gaming sites, 4chan, and elsewhere last week. With rhetorical shrapnel flying everywhere, one ironic low was achieved when popular and resolutely positive gamer Steven Williams, aka Boogie2988, found himself simultaneously maligned as a brainwashed feminist by self-declared men’s rights activists and fat-shamed by self-declared social justice advocates. Another low was when thoughtful freelance gaming writer Jenn Frank decided to leave the field altogether after being unfairly singled out for relentless criticism.

Trying to sort through GamerGate is like sinking into quicksand, but the general tenor of the discussion has been: A fair number of gamers hate the journalists who cover them, and the journalists hate them back.

The biggest problem with all these claims that “gamers are over” is that they are demonstrably untrue.
The attacks on the press have ranged from well-reasoned to offensive to paranoid, but the gaming journalists unwisely decided to respond to the growing, nebulous anger by declaring that “gamers” were dead. Such articles appeared concurrently in Gamasutra (“ ‘Gamers’ are over” and “A guide to ending ‘gamers’ ”), Destructoid (“There are gamers at the gate, but they may already be dead”), Kotaku (“We might be witnessing the ‘death of an identity’ ”) and Rock, Paper, Shotgun (“Gamers are over”), as well as Ars Technica (“The death of the ‘gamers’ ”), Vice (“Killing the gamer identity”) and BuzzFeed (“Gaming is leaving ‘gamers’ behind”). These articles share some traits in common besides their theses: They are unconvincing, lacking in hard evidence, and big on wishful thinking. A good number of them link to an obscure blog post by academic Dan Golding, “The End of Gamers,” which argues, again without evidence, that “the gamer identity has been broken” and that the current unrest “is an attempt to retain hegemony.” Kotaku writer Nathan Grayson linked to a similarly obtuse piece of academic argot (“ ‘Gamer’ is selfish ... conservative ... tribalistic”), which in Grayson’s words “breaks down the difference between ‘gamer’ as a manufactured identity versus loving games on multiple levels.” I’ve written essays comparing games to the work of artist Kurt Schwitters and poet Kenneth Rexroth, and even I can’t muster this level of vacuous self-importance on the subject.

Returning to the real world, the biggest problem with all these claims is that they are demonstrably untrue. A quick glance at financials shows that “gamers” are not going anywhere. If “gamers” really are dying, no one told the marketing departments for these publications, which continue to trumpet their “gamer” demographic to advertisers. What is going on instead is projection. As long as these journalists held a monopoly on gaming coverage, they could maintain a dismal relationship with their audience in spite of the fact that “most games coverage is almost indistinguishable from PR,” in the words of disaffected game columnist Robert Florence, who himself wrote about corruption in gaming journalism before quitting Eurogamer. But all that’s changing with the rise of long-form amateur gaming journalism and game commentating on YouTube and Twitch.tv, the latter of which was just bought by Amazon for $1 billion as the gaming press was declaring the end of gamers.

Game companies and developers are now reaching out directly to quasi-amateur enthusiasts as a better way to build their brands, both because the gamers are more influential than the gaming journalists, and because these enthusiasts have far better relationships with their audiences than gaming journalists do. (Admittedly, most anyone does.) This week, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto signaled a focus on hard-core gamers, and Nintendo has already been shutting out the video game press for years. As Gamasutra’s Keza MacDonald wrote in June, the increasingly direct relationship between gamers and game companies has “removed what used to be [game journalism’s] function: to tell people about games.” Another Gamasutra article cited game developers saying that YouTube coverage had far more impact than all website coverage combined.

I generally don’t read gaming websites because I don’t like sifting through rewritten press releases and underage toothbrush incest anime coverage to find one or two genuine pieces of content. Instead I go to affable enthusiasts on YouTube and Twitch, people like Ryan Letourneau (Northernlion), Michelle (TheRPGMinx), Nick Reinecke (RockLeeSmile), Daniel Hardcastle (NerdCubed), and the unfathomably popular Felix Kjellberg (PewDiePie), a 24-year-old gamer who has 30 million subscribers, the most viewed YouTube channel of all time, and makes $4 million a year off his channel by, more or less, playing video games.

It is understandable that online gaming journalists would be uncomfortable in this situation. The antagonism of the gaming press toward its audience stems partly from justified outrage at the horrible behavior of a small subset of it, but also from helpless resentment toward the entirety of the press’s shrinking audience—hence the self-defeating attempt to generalize the former into the latter. Rather than stressing that the vast majority of gamers are reasonable people who don’t harass women, hold reactionary, protectionist views, or start vitriolic online campaigns against the press, the websites trashed the entire term “gamer” and, to no one’s surprise, earned 10 times the enmity overnight.

These articles were additionally unseemly because gamers were being preached to by the very same people who have been commodifying them. As Florence said, so much of the game journalist’s job has indeed been glorified PR, and the rest is not reportage but cultural think pieces, like the ones that have earned so much opprobrium over the last week. Consequently, great, lesser-known stories—and games—fall by the wayside. Just one example: Stephen Lavelle, aka Increpare, is one of the most fascinating game designers around, but he has been largely ignored by the gaming press, even as he’s grabbed the attention of the New Yorker. I found out about him from Northernlion’s channel. (Disclosure: I have corresponded with Lavelle; I wrote to tell him how much I like his games.)

Maybe gamers don’t trust their press as much as they trust the enthusiasts because the press doesn’t seem as engaged with the games themselves. Compared with the enthusiasts, the journalists’ hearts aren’t in it. This isn’t true for criticism of other art forms. Sure, there are always hack writers, but Pauline Kael didn’t have to put together five hype-building posts about Destiny for every thoughtful review she wrote. Gaming journalists are caught between capitalist reality and their own frustrated aspirations to be serious cultural critics. But they cannot solve their problems by preaching about the death of their audience. That audience is dying only in that it is leaving them, a process the journalists have evidently decided to accelerate. Game journalists are rage-quitting their meal ticket.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
For those of you new to this thread, here is a recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraqQabax8A

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
did anyone kill a journalism (wo)man over this

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

THE PENETRATOR posted:

did anyone kill a journalism (wo)man over this

No journalists killed just bloggers and most was self suicide.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This guy just said Pokemon is for girls. :argh:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Omi-Polari posted:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Finally a decent even handed article, this was a good read. Also the article is dumbfounded as to the popularity of PewDiePie as much as I am. 4 million a year holy poo poo. :psypop:

Edit: Is anyone paying attention to the chat there any good nuggets of volatility from either side?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I love how this guy is calling him "Aristocrat"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Actually Texas owns, sorry you are a regionalist fuckwit though.

Texas is nice, but politics in Texas are super retarded and their education board is far too influential on the rest of the States.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

this is the best thing to come out of this thread so far.

Well the lightning one above is better but this gif generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dat crotch physics.... :stare:

• Locked thread