Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe it's TEXTING AND INTUBATING which could be worse for the intubee. Intubed. Customer. That works.

Or they are sitting on their thumbs hoping they have an easy shift. From EMS threads here I've learned that the job is 50% sitting, 45% non-emergency patient transfer, 5% HOLY poo poo and the 5% takes the cake.

Change it to 75/24/1, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

blk posted:

These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s
That is brilliant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

So, if you're about to cross the line and the light turns yellow, you're hosed? How the hell can you even adjust for that?

Yes, you're hosed, and you can't adjust for it. Hence why my two friends failed when that happened on their tests. The driving examiner's line will be something like "you were travelling too fast for conditions; if you'd been going slower you would have been able to stop in time." My instructor told us to be looking for signs like flashing pedestrian signals or how many cars were stopped up at the cross street in order to try and predict when your green would change.

Michael Scott posted:

Is this really the law? It sounds highly unlikely. I know you all don't have cities with a lot of people in Ontario, but in any reasonably big intersection (that for whatever reason does not have a dedicated left-turn arrow) at peak times you will end up with cross-traffic going straight preventing left turners from turning until the light turns yellow, then people will continue to run the yellow, and you will have to finish your left turn as the light is red, having crossed the white line while it was green.

No, that happens all the time in Ontario, just like it does in every other province and state I've lived in. Like I said, I've never seen a policeman ticket anyone for entering the intersection on a yellow, and I don't think it was even recorded as a law in the rule book. But it's well enough known as a Thing To Look Out For that my driving instructor explicitly told us "on the test, yellow lights that you haven't yet gotten to are the same as reds."

Being in the intersection when your light is red, even if you're completing a turn, is explicitly illegal. I suppose that the theory is for all the oncoming drivers to stop for the yellow, giving you enough time to get out of the intersection before the red. That never happens though. Cops don't ticket either of the drivers in that situation.

Oh, and there's also only one car allowed into the intersection (e: per left-turn lane) to prepare for a left turn at a time. The first car in the left turning lane must move forwards to claim the intersection for themselves. The other cars have to wait behind the stop line for that car to clear the intersection before moving up. If you're the second car and you cross the stop line while there's a car ahead of you waiting to turn, you also automatically fail. Also never heard of the police ticketing for that.

Frankly I just think that Ontario driving examiners are kind of fascists.

e2: also worth noting, though, that it's kind of unpredictable. You can stall your car up to three times during the exam without failing, you get three chances to do the parallel park, and on my lower-level exam I turned left when the examiner said right and it barely counted for anything. It's bizarre.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 3, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

blk posted:

These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s

I want to know the context but at the same time it would ruin the magic.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Personperson14 posted:

I can tell you that in the video it's about 3 in the morning, and they are driving home after a night of drinking. One of them is just waking up in the back seat to see this, the other one was trying to convince the driver to drive around them before the dudes came out.

The context was likely that small car merging in front of the big bus.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Personperson14 posted:

Given how many times it's shown up in multiple threads here, my Facebook feed, Twitter, and half a dozen "news" sites, there's no magic involved. It's a viral marketing ploy and I'm sick of seeing it. </curmudgeon>

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

xzzy posted:

(it's totally a trap to keep kids off the road)

It sounds more like petty people given a modicum of power turn into assholes.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It is really perfectly shot. What are the chances this not only would happen, but would happen RIGHT in front of a car with a perfect dashcam, and that it would then get uploaded and shared? I am skeptical as well.

Also, what are people doing with professional costumes at the ready in a van at 2:40am?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I took a trip to Charleston this weekend. Saturday night, I'd just finished dinner and was headed downtown to do some bar hopping. At a two-lane red light, the light turns green, and traffic starts moving...but not the truck in front of me. I beep. Nothing. I lay on the horn. Nothing. Light turns red and I pull into the next lane, looking through the truck's side window. Driver's head is tilted back against his headrest, eyes are closed. Is he drunk? On pills? Sleeping? Dead?? I couldn't decide whether to call the cops (which would do nothing, as if he was drunk or otherwise impaired, he most certainly would have woken up/been woken up before they could get there) or check to see if he was dead. I ended up pulling off to the side, throwing my hazards on, went to the driver side door, and sharply rapped on his window. He immediately woke up, looked at me confusedly, and gave me a "thanks" hand gesture. I got back in my car and proceeded on my merry way. I made sure to keep my distance from him, but I saw no indication from his driving that he was drunk or otherwise impaired...no swaying, no uneven acceleration, no sporadic braking. Maybe the dude was just tired.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Also, what are people doing with professional costumes at the ready in a van at 2:40am?

The same thing other people do with no clothes on in a van.

(Which will also be filmed, uploaded and shared.)

e:
Not to say I care one way or another whether it's fake or real.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I took a trip to Charleston this weekend. Saturday night, I'd just finished dinner and was headed downtown to do some bar hopping. At a two-lane red light, the light turns green, and traffic starts moving...but not the truck in front of me. I beep. Nothing. I lay on the horn. Nothing. Light turns red and I pull into the next lane, looking through the truck's side window. Driver's head is tilted back against his headrest, eyes are closed. Is he drunk? On pills? Sleeping? Dead?? I couldn't decide whether to call the cops (which would do nothing, as if he was drunk or otherwise impaired, he most certainly would have woken up/been woken up before they could get there) or check to see if he was dead. I ended up pulling off to the side, throwing my hazards on, went to the driver side door, and sharply rapped on his window. He immediately woke up, looked at me confusedly, and gave me a "thanks" hand gesture. I got back in my car and proceeded on my merry way. I made sure to keep my distance from him, but I saw no indication from his driving that he was drunk or otherwise impaired...no swaying, no uneven acceleration, no sporadic braking. Maybe the dude was just tired.

I've been that guy. I pulled into the next parking lot and took a nap.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

trouser chili posted:

It sounds more like petty people given a modicum of power turn into assholes.

When I was learning to drive, me and a buddy were both using the book that the State gives you. It has instructions for things like backing up, etc. One of the backup instructions was to look behind you by taking one hand off the wheel, placing it on the back of the passenger seat so you can twist your body all the way around and look directly behind you.

When he went to take the test, he used that maneuver while backing up out of the space to begin the test, and was immediately failed for not keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

Minimal amounts of power can go to the head.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Scott posted:

It is really perfectly shot. What are the chances this not only would happen, but would happen RIGHT in front of a car with a perfect dashcam, and that it would then get uploaded and shared? I am skeptical as well.

I too think there's a good chance that's a viral for Saints Row or something, but have you seen any other Russian dashcam footage? The kind of insane poo poo you see there makes this not totally unbelievable by comparison.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nothing like a motorcycle shooting into the road from a goddamn railroad crossing to make your rear end pucker. The pickup next to me got within a few inches of him, I missed him by a couple of feet. :stonk:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This thread convinced me to get a dashcam. Since I installed it, nothing has happened in front of my car that I found interesting enough to be worth the hassle of downloading from the camera.

Is anyone else bothered that this thread's title ends with a proposition?

I'm a terrible person I know. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Went for a bike ride on a trail along the road. Went to cross a street in the crosswalk with both the green light and walk signal in my favor and got stranded in the middle of the intersection by a long line of oncoming cars turning right in front of me without slowing. Not even the nun in her habit gave me a second look as she sped by!

I don't commute on my bike or anything and I stick to the trail (converted old rail road that crosses some streets as it goes through town), but I've become hyper aware of all the people that blow past the stop line and stop in the crosswalk without looking to see if there is anybody walking or riding there.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Uthor posted:

Went for a bike ride on a trail along the road. Went to cross a street in the crosswalk with both the green light and walk signal in my favor and got stranded in the middle of the intersection by a long line of oncoming cars turning right in front of me without slowing. Not even the nun in her habit gave me a second look as she sped by!

I don't commute on my bike or anything and I stick to the trail (converted old rail road that crosses some streets as it goes through town), but I've become hyper aware of all the people that blow past the stop line and stop in the crosswalk without looking to see if there is anybody walking or riding there.

Sounds like you should be a little less hesitant to just jump out in front of them. They'll stop. It won't kill them to brake.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 4, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, probably, though it's less than a 90 degree turn from a 45 mph road to a 40 mph road that you can take at speed, so I wasn't going to chance it. I'm not really that pissed as this town doesn't really have a large pedestrian or cycling population, so drivers are always uncertain how to act around them. I was amused by the nun driving by more than anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Field goal attempt is good!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

InterceptorV8 posted:

And don't even get me started on loving BLACK GHOSTS!

It's dark as gently caress, no light because light pollution is BAD, I'm going to go bicycle riding, or go for a walk, wear nothing but black, and if I'm on a bicycle, I'm not running a light and I have taken off all my reflectors. This happens more times than I care to think about, and last time it was real nasty a girl did it on the loving interstate in the loving travel lane at 1am. I don't think they found all the pieces of her.

There's this one dumb street near where I live that has no sidewalk or street lights or curb on one side of the road. (and there's houses there too, their yards just loving end and there's pavement now what is this) Lots of trees too, so at night that whole side of the road is just dark. Which, of course, is where everybody decides to go jogging in all black at night. In the goddamned loving rain? But they don't run on the grass, no. Because that's somebody's yard, and that would be weird. Let's jog in the street.

It's because two blocks down there's a connection to an actual bike/jogging path.

poo poo part of town, too, I really wonder why I don't find more corpses with bullet holes and/or tire treads on them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I don't think I'd care to stay around those power lines.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

That's a pretty good version of the old "mistook the accelerator pedal for the brake" trick

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Powershift posted:

прибил его.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

If you're the second car and you cross the stop line while there's a car ahead of you waiting to turn, you also automatically fail. Also never heard of the police ticketing for that.

I was pulled over and warned for this once. The officer ran a red light to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

99.9% of the Chicago metropolis would have their license revoked if they actually enforced left turning traffic stacking up inside the intersection.

If they had the manpower it'd probably be a colossal victory for funding police departments though!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Uthor posted:

Sounds like you need a horn.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Is anyone else bothered that this thread's title ends with a proposition?

Preposition :eng101: and yes. Every time I read it. These are the people with which we share a forum. (My dad used to be an English teacher and beat poo poo like that into me throughout my childhood. I'd bother him immensely by saying stuff like my car needs fixed or I don't want no dinner. No matter how many times I did it he never noticed I was joking and would correct me every time.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Preposition :eng101: and yes. Every time I read it. These are the people with which we share a forum.

I'd have gone with "These are the people with whom we share a forum" but that's just me.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
These are the people you share a language with.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like it when sentences end with propositions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like you need a horn.

I do have a tiny bell. Does that work?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

99.9% of the Chicago metropolis would have their license revoked if they actually enforced left turning traffic stacking up inside the intersection.

True, I've been honked and screamed at in Chicago for not entering the intersection on a yellow light so multiple cars behind me could run the red light while turning.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

LloydDobler posted:

Preposition :eng101:

That's what YOU think. My iPhone autocorrect had a different idea. 😘

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CharlesM posted:

I like it when sentences end with propositions.

"You're a drat dirty criminal. 80 hours of community service, in bed with me, starting now. C'mere you :heysexy:"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Watch out for motorcycles, fuckers. Can't tell over the kickin rad 90s techno, but the guy on the bike was laying on his horn as soon as the Cruze started to change lanes. Driver even sees him, waves, taps the brakes, and still continues his lane change. :fuckoff:

Also, the mirror mount for the G1W loving sucks for stability.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 5, 2014

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Yellow light means "stop, unless it would be unsafe to do so", for instance if you're too close to brake safely, or if you've got a huge truck tailgating you.

It's not really that hard to understand.

This, i dont remember if i posted about my encounter like this. In my city, One of the highways goes through it with a 50kph limit, and im coasting down it in my truck, its raining so its slippery and theres a light intersection just at the bottom, i see it turning yellow and decide that i cant stop my truck nicely and get onto a freelane to get through. Then this Guy decides that its a good decision to pass me, get in front of me and do a full stop at the yellows. I had to lockup the brakes in my truck and ended up sideways in the intersection to avoid hitting anyone. :cool: good thing i didnt have a trailer then or it might have blocked the whole intersection or i could've actually caused some damage. Afterwards my boss told me i shouldve rammed the fucker.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The old old old drivers of Japan strike again... :smith:

Last weekend I had to avoid some insanely old guy who decided to drive over to the other side of the central reservation and drive against two lanes of oncoming traffic to get into the supermarket because it was somehow easier than going another 50m down the road and doing a U-turn at the next crossing point. :psyduck: Then today an old lady very barely missed me as she struggled to turn her tiny car. It seriously looked like she was trying to straighten up a man-o'-war in gale force winds.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

Watch out for motorcycles, fuckers. Can't tell over the kickin rad 90s techno, but the guy on the bike was laying on his horn as soon as the Cruze started to change lanes. Driver even sees him, waves, taps the brakes, and still continues his lane change. :fuckoff:

Also, the mirror mount for the G1W loving sucks for stability.

http://youtu.be/s9ePl3Il6D0

This video popped up as well. Guy on motorcycle complaining about the car crossing the double yellow, while crossing the double yellow himself.

If you are on a motorcycle, and your tires on on or near the paint, you're over the line!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/s9ePl3Il6D0

This video popped up as well. Guy on motorcycle complaining about the car crossing the double yellow, while crossing the double yellow himself.

If you are on a motorcycle, and your tires on on or near the paint, you're over the line!

Speeding like crazy, crossing double yellows constantly, getting hit by a rider doing the same thing and then finishing the video off with pictures of his friend's tombstone after he got nailed by a vehicle acting just like him on the same road.

Is there really a safety lesson to be learned here? Everyone involved seems like a complete retard who isn't going to follow anything anybody tells them about how not to die or kill someone.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I saw the strangest traffic sign yesterday, it was on a state Highway just before a turn with a 45mph speed limit and it said "NO ENGINE BRAKING"

How would you even enforce that?