Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Zeron posted:

Uh no. The sim is actually in the bathroom peeing in that pic, the thing he was complaining about is the woman walking into his sim's bathroom and watching him pee.

So far my best sims 4 moment.... well, no my best Sims 4 moment was loading into the Rattlesnake juice bar for the first time and having the elderly barista immediately drop dead of old age and then sitting around having my Sim's first date elbow to elbow with the Grim Reaper, but second only to that was aging up my baby with a full diaper and having the child version immediately run to the bathroom to poop, followed by every single adult within range crowding in after him to wish him a happy birthday.

Happy Poopday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Gamesguy posted:

It's an anti-piracy feature that only affects pirated copies of the game. Instead of going away, that censor block is going to keep getting bigger till it covers his entire screen.

It's always funny to see pirates complain about bugs like that.

Were you in such a rush to call out a 'pirate' that you didn't notice him standing in front of a toilet? Or for that matter even bother reading the next page?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I do that on some of my Sims, but it still happens to a great extent.

Btw, since the game has a goddamned Dopefish cameo in it, I'm defining it as GOTY. Seriously, it was in one game in 1991, and it's been stuck into about 50 games since then in various forms, and every time I see it I grin like a motherfucker.

I've also seen some easter eggs in painting: I've seen kinda-sorta Spore Creatures as well...

This goes hard.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Has any one even realized or cared that there is no newspaper in this game

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

My Little Puni posted:

Considering the first thing I do in every TS3 household is call the newspaper to stop deliveries, I'd say no.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
What's a newspaper

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Speaking of modernization, I laughed at the first time my chef sim snapped a cellphone picture of their breakfast.

Played a lot of this now and it's pretty solid. It just needs way more poo poo in it. I can't think of any glaring fundamental problems for them to fix other than "add a lot more stuff."

Kinda hope they announce the first expansion in a month or so, so we know where they're taking this thing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

News papers were pretty much a hold over from the first sims anyway. You could always snag a cheap computer, even in the sims 1, to get more job options anyway. I'm also glad story progression is gone. Loading up a family you haven't played in a bit only to find one of your sims has started affairs with three different people was loving stupid. It seemed like a really weird addition to a game that's always been about you creating personal stories for households to give the AI a life of it's own to completely gently caress with player established families

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

My Little Puni posted:

The Newspaper has never not been poo poo in The Sims. I's always just basically been a crap version of the computer. It's one of those things where I'm actually glad that it's gone because now I don't get a million billion rotting piles of soggy newsprint on my porch, making everyone who walks past miserable with low environment scores or poo poo-rear end moodlets.

e: Also that'd make a good thread title, like in that twilight zone episode. The Sims 4: It's GOOD You Did That

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2014

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

News papers were pretty much a hold over from the first sims anyway. You could always snag a cheap computer, even in the sims 1, to get more job options anyway. I'm also glad story progression is gone. Loading up a family you haven't played in a bit only to find one of your sims has started affairs with three different people was loving stupid. It seemed like a really weird addition to a game that's always been about you creating personal stories for households to give the AI a life of it's own to completely gently caress with player established families
I wish story progression were in with options for that kind of stuff, though. The game already distinguishes between played households & households you haven't played, so they could add story progression with an option for turning it off for played households. I just want the neighbors to be a little more lively.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a Sims 4 thread, or is this it?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

alcaras posted:

Is there a Sims 4 thread, or is this it?

Lizard Wizard is apparently making it at some point.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
My loading times have become unbearable.

Whenever I load up Sims 4, the program hangs there while its loading. It hangs for about 30 seconds before loading for another 30 to bring me to the screen. I also find the loading between zones taking longer and longer. Do you all goons think it is a save file size issue?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dr. VooDoo posted:

But as in CK2, having a bunch of other people doing poo poo is vital to actually filling out the world and making the stories rich and emergent.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, but the story progression in TS3 sucked at that really badly since every lot was a ghost town even with mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That's more because The Sims 3 was a pretty flawed game in a lot of ways. Properly implemented story progression would be great, though I can totally understand a hesitance towards it after TS3.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
No Create a Style and story progression are such huge dealbreakers for me. It's such a shame because the new stuffs like walking through a door without causing a traffic jam and no more empty nightclubs are good but, argh.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 9, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I could live with no CASt on items, but why on earth did they get rid of it for sim clothing? WHY?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

jerichojx posted:

My loading times have become unbearable.

Whenever I load up Sims 4, the program hangs there while its loading. It hangs for about 30 seconds before loading for another 30 to bring me to the screen. I also find the loading between zones taking longer and longer. Do you all goons think it is a save file size issue?

You're clearly not meant to be playing Sims 4 for that long. Turn back! TURN BACK!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

No Create a Style and story progression is such a huge dealbreaker for me. It's such a shame because the new stuffs like walking through a door without causing a traffic jam and no more empty nightclubs are good but, argh.

The game is seriously better without Create a Style. I know that that sounds crazy, but the recolours have enough thought built into them that it's easy to find near-misses and build a more realistic and interesting looking space than you'd inevitably wind up making while sperging out about matchy-matchy poo poo.

That said-- the recolours are way too limited for clothes at this point. Here's hoping for the kind of mass recolour mods that we saw with Sims 2 furniture.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

No Create a Style and story progression is such a huge dealbreaker for me. It's such a shame because the new stuffs like walking through a door without causing a traffic jam and no more empty nightclubs are good but, argh.

Create A Style was incredibly horrible for optimization and I may be wrong but if you want to give your sim a sick silk dragon shirt you could cobble up a simple texture replacement in like, two minutes.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I liked the suggestion in one of the Sims 4 reviews for CASt in Sims 4 that, if they didn't want to have to deal with all the textures/patterns, the option of having a color wheel to at least change the color of the existing patterns on objects/clothes/hair to whatever you wanted would have been nice. At least that way you wouldn't need to resort to downloading a bunch of recolors.

I don't know how much that would have helped optimization, but surely it would have helped some.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Create-A-Style is far and away the biggest loss moving from 3 to 4. Dear Jesus God my playtime of 3 was at least 30% stylin'.

In 4, if my sim is writing or watching TV and I click Invite Inside on some dumb bastard what's been on the front porch all morning, the visiting sim will immediately enter the house and walk up and say hi to my sim, then they both go back to the front door. Annoying.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I just don't see it, I've tasted the poison well that was Create a Style and you can't tell me to just go back to to choosing a bunch of boring presets for my clothes/wallpaper/tables/bed blankets/car/toilet/whatever. It's the same thing with story progression, hearing the lack of it causes to me to hyperventilate at the memories of sims 1 where you had to populate your dumb make believe world with families of eight in an empty lot with nothing but a single tile wall with a landline phone on it - and no matter how many generations of sims you play in that world those eight people will never, ever find a job or age on their own, or form social relationships with anyone unless they do it in the lot you're playing in.

I know it's not the exact same situation in 4 but.

Lady Naga posted:

Create A Style was incredibly horrible for optimization and I may be wrong but if you want to give your sim a sick silk dragon shirt you could cobble up a simple texture replacement in like, two minutes.

I don't want to pop open Maya or whatever just to customize a shirt and it sounds like to me if Sims 3 was horrible trying to load up a million mods, imagine what this game will be like when it's trying to load up a million mods plus a million minor altercation and recolor mods.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 9, 2014

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

No Create a Style and story progression are such huge dealbreakers for me. It's such a shame because the new stuffs like walking through a door without causing a traffic jam and no more empty nightclubs are good but, argh.

I totally get where you're coming from because the announcement that there'd be no create-a-style or story progression is what led me to cancel my preorder initially. I ended up changing my mind right at the last minute and I don't regret it at all - but keep in mind I have been a huge, huge sims fan for nearly 15 years.

That said I'm really hoping that despite what they say they'll bring back some form of CaSt for CaS. I can deal with items limited to recolors but clothes, hair, and eyes are something I want more freedom to customize.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I hadn't played since the original Sims, but this game seems pretty fun and apparently the sky hasn't fallen! All the talk made me curious and the price on CDKeys was low enough for me to bite.
Already got quite a bit out fun out of it, and the gf seems to love it too (probably a bad thing, I'm not used to having to share my PC :v: ).

According to a post I saw on Kotaku there's currently a glitch with incestuous siblings which kinda makes me want to do the legacy challenge but with a Lannister family.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's the mod situation like? I remember for TS3 it seemed to take a while before people knew what they were doing - for a couple months it was patterns and custom sims.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
I just like being able to kick some of the adult children out of the house and have them get married and have babies with ridiculous names without me having to micromanage. But the DIY story progression looks like it might help with that.

I'm sticking with TS3 for now, and just bought World Adventures. Might as well get the most out of the open world thing before I inevitably cave and buy TS4. :shobon:

Griever posted:

Already got quite a bit out fun out of it, and the gf seems to love it too (probably a bad thing, I'm not used to having to share my PC :v: ).

My boyfriend does not like the fact that I've gotten back into the Sims. I have to point out that it's actually my computer. :colbert:

Chocolate Milk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 9, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the mod situation like? I remember for TS3 it seemed to take a while before people knew what they were doing - for a couple months it was patterns and custom sims.

The whole game is made from plain ol' python scripts. Supposedly it's the most mod-friendly Sims yet, but I don't think anyone's torn into it proper-like.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The first mod was to remove the mosaic around your Sim's crotch.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The first mod was to remove the mosaic around your Sim's crotch.

At this point, you can't mess with tradition.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I downloaded a mod from Mod the Sims to make the lights brighter since the default is too dark inside houses. The mods folder already existed so it was easy to plop in their. When you open up the game it lets you know what mods are currently in the game. So far it has worked out great.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I presume mermaids, vampires, werewolfs, and what-have-you are not available in Sims 4 (yet... until DLCs).

Are any cool fun/wacky things in the base game?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alcaras posted:

I presume mermaids, vampires, werewolfs, and what-have-you are not available in Sims 4 (yet... until DLCs).

Are any cool fun/wacky things in the base game?

You can take an angry poop.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Well, there was one linked perhaps a page ago that brings back most of story progression to sims 4. I think there is one bug that still needs fixing, but otherwise appears to work fine.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/any-complaints-about-the-sims-3.180903925/

Some things never change. :allears:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137296-Sims-5-Wont-be-Made-if-Sims-4-Isnt-Successful-Says-EA

The brave Escapist Revolutionaries to the Rescue to free us from the corporate mindsuckers of the EA corporate Machine!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gyrobot posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137296-Sims-5-Wont-be-Made-if-Sims-4-Isnt-Successful-Says-EA

The brave Escapist Revolutionaries to the Rescue to free us from the corporate mindsuckers of the EA corporate Machine!

Wait what? What kind of weird pseudo-marketing is this? Of course they're not working on Sims 5, why would they? There's been 5 years between each release since the Sims 2 and there's really no reason to be working on another game when that manpower is better spent on expansions and such.

I mean what?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
It's just clickbait. Move along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It took me a little to realize that they are not posting about TS4, but that it's a thread from 2009 for complaints about the newly released TS3, and why TS2 was supposedly so much better!

• Locked thread