Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote - I don't know if you're scum I guess.

To sum up what I was saying earlier: I was wrong on day 1. I don't enjoy being wrong. I want to do my d2 "thing" that I do now where I try to give the game a fresh read in light of the flips, which I will do. I also just spent another game where I played my most townie showing of all time and was lynched on a case based on pure fear of my scum game, regardless of my exceptional defense I put up and a requirement of a ridiculous read of the setup to conclude that I'm scum. I don't have the drive to put up the same defense in this game.

I'm going to do my thing. I'm going to find scum. I will not defend myself. I will ignore votes against me. I will start many sentences with the word 'I'. Lynch me if you can't deal.

Tonight, though, I will watch television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Opopanax posted:

A slip of paper was found in TT's effects. It seems he'd been appointed House Atreides' mentat. Shame

:ghost:

capps I am going to strangle you irl

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tremendous Taste posted:

capps I am going to strangle you irl

it was kinda useless anyway in this game, i just threw it towards you in the off chance you survived because i figured it would make you more active in the game

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3662109

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

Don't think it is possible.

Oh. Yeah. My apologies, I missed details while scrambling through the thread.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Since Merk is being a bustah, I have decided to call upon the rng gods.

KB, what do you think of my read of Merk?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Your Personal Muse posted:

Your read seems reasonable. My initial take on Merk was town pre-flips though. I'm going to reread the whole thread in light of flips and I'll see how I feel after that. Probably won't be until tomorrow though. I'm still at work right now and by the time I get home I may not want to forum.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

King Burgundy posted:

Your read seems reasonable. My initial take on Merk was town pre-flips though. I'm going to reread the whole thread in light of flips and I'll see how I feel after that. Probably won't be until tomorrow though. I'm still at work right now and by the time I get home I may not want to forum.

I expect something more than a "seems about right" tomorrow, please have a strong stance thanks bye.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

If you're going to take some random chance vig shot at me, at least let me read the game and case people tomorrow first.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

merk posted:

If you're going to take some random chance vig shot at me, at least let me read the game and case people tomorrow first.

Merk, I am using my case of you to get content out of other people. I thought you, the mafia superstar who just had a really good town game you guys why are you casing me that's rude, would know that. I do not have a vig, and if I did I would keep it in my pants as I have done with the one and only vig I have ever gotten.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Merk, I am using my case of you to get content out of other people.
I have to do this, by the way, because you have decided to not engage me like a real person and instead assume I have the reasoning of a five year old because of the aforementioned really good town game.

How many games do I have to play before vets start to actually read my cases and play mafia with me. Because it is getting annoying.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

mr.capps posted:

like even without 100 yrs contributing we managed to kill their entire front rank, if it wasn't for those sandworms we probably would have been able to beat them in pure dmg.

:hb: you're welcome (too bad i couldn't do it twice) :hb:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Ernie. posted:

:hb: you're welcome (too bad i couldn't do it twice) :hb:

Please stop it with these sorts of posts, even if it is incorrect you shouldn't allude to your battle actions if you're dead. Please refrain!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please Busb, the fault is all mine, for I just inspire too much loyalty in my men.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mister capp, if you do NOT want me to deal 666 points of almighty dqamage to one front rank member of opposing army in this battle that will occur tonight, do NOT deploy me *kzzrh*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is a very confusing message

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

:ghost: Sorry Capps! My hands were tied but Stockholm syndrome being what it is... go house Atreides! :ghost:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

we should probably look at that dead scum's posts. i bet the scumteam this thread hasnt adjusted to this game's increased mortality rate and is, um, making more connections between themselves and other players, on accident, finish tihs thought. also, asiina replaced out because she was scum. TYPICAL uGhr

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
At the risk of reminding everyone that I exist: capps, put me in battle if you need it, in front. I'd rather take another rest if possible, but we're running out of good guys.

I'm working now, just given a cursory read of the thread, especially merk and YPM.

Couple of things, mainly about player with lower post count because I don't have time for anything else:

- apostate asked about my vote on Gulag. Yeah, it was mostly because he was voting me and being wrong about it.
- I'd really like to get some more Hal in here. So far he's done nothing and he's coasting.
- Little Mac charged at natx right at the start, and the only pointing that 100yrs did besides me was directed at him. Scum bus against the newbie? For all of Mac's words about newbie armour not applying this time, I don't think scum would be so callous as "sorry guy, you're going down on D1 for the good of the Harkonnen. Also, gently caress you." Townish.
- I'm liking KB as town. His silly vote for himself is telling me he's not paranoid about drawing attention, which I think scum wouldn't do. Rest of his posts look like town who isn't sure about what to do. He did remove a vote from Brazen as capps asked us to, and I think at that point there wasn't a clear vote leader besides natx, so it wasn't as if the lynch was moving from town to town. (I'm not sure about the timing here, feel free to say that I'm wrong)

More to come, as I read merk and YPM.

By the way, Little Mac, what do you thing of Hal, knowing his meta?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Quick read on merk:

merk posted:

I thought he wasn't scum like two minutes to deadline and almost changed my vote. I could've been a hero.

I really don't like this post. What's the point of this besides distancing himself from a town lynch?

merk posted:

Magnus/natx might work. I could be wrong on the newbie.

This was 4 minutes before deadline. I'm assuming merk meant natx (naxt is the newbie, right?), so he seemed sure about Magnus. Up to this point, he had been defending a Magnus/YPM lynch, with his case being presented 13 minutes before deadline, and leaning more heavily on Magnus than on YPM, so why would he have second thoughts 2 minutes after this?

merk posted:

I don't think this guy is scum. Would a newbie go after someone he just labeled as the 'forked tongued advisor to [confirmed town]"? How is that a winning strategy?

5 minutes before deadline he was defending that natx wasn't scum. I just don't see the first quoted post being true at all.

I have to read the interaction between YPM and merk, and Gulag and apostateCourier before anything else, but so far I'm not liking this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have just repeated YPM's posts, right? :negative:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

merk posted:

Hal. One vote would've shifted away from Mag iirc.

I think this is true, at least. Hal had 3 votes on him 1 hour or so before the deadline, so in case of a tie he would have gone first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

mr.capps posted:

There are two viable raid options here.
An aggressive push against their fortress, we can hope to turn the tide of momentum.
Or the Windtrap, where we can beef ourselves up, but potentially make ourselves weaker if we lose, no matter what would follow would be an offensive from them.
Don't go to the Fortress. We would probably lose a 6 vs 5, and we'd have to kill at least 5 guys to put afp in the field next day, or 4 if we retain our nightkill.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I think this is true, at least. Hal had 3 votes on him 1 hour or so before the deadline, so in case of a tie he would have gone first.

Alas that would not have helped since I am also town. Sorry for being a busy shithead D1, but lynching me today is only going to add to our misery.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Go windtrap for sure

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote KB

He completely avoids all natx discussion.

King Burgundy posted:

Also, AC has a poo poo ton of posts and they seem town to me. My other strong reads are on Ernie and Gulag as town.

His biggest reads are town ones.

King Burgundy posted:

##vote Magnus

Your reasoning seems sound and I was a bit put off by how much he was jumping around.

He votes Magnus with me without touching upon the other lynch candidate, natx, at all. This vote also completely abandons his case on Brazen Apothecary. He never makes an attempt to push that case at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Merk, I am using my case of you to get content out of other people. I thought you, the mafia superstar who just had a really good town game you guys why are you casing me that's rude, would know that. I do not have a vig, and if I did I would keep it in my pants as I have done with the one and only vig I have ever gotten.

Unsolicited advice: Your attitude is not going to get people to follow you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What did happen to winvirus? I didn't like his post history.

Also thinking more about it little mac you really haven't said much and latched onto an easy target. That's a bit scummy isn't it?

It looks like the scum didn't completely abandon natx. This post is directed towards Little_Mac's explanation of his vote on natx.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's also something weird with both Gulag and 100Yrs pushing Hal late in the day, but I can't figure out what it is. natx was the vote leader with four when Gulag/100Yrs vote Hal to bring him to 3.

I at least don't think Hal is scum. 100Yrs wouldn't vote Hal to make it a natx/Hal lynch if Hal was also Scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

##vote KB

He votes Magnus with me without touching upon the other lynch candidate, natx, at all. This vote also completely abandons his case on Brazen Apothecary. He never makes an attempt to push that case at all.

There are so many lies here. I'll quote my posts later today when I have time, but I guess you are scum after all. Thanks for the easy tell.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

There are so many lies here. I'll quote my posts later today when I have time, but I guess you are scum after all. Thanks for the easy tell.

What

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I just double checked your post history and everything I've said is true, even in as much context as I'm willing to read in five minutes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think I'm coming around to Gulag being scum. With the lynch being natx/? (a bunch of people at 1 vote), I think the scum would want to try to at least get some certainty on the second lynch being not them. This supports 100Yrs following Gulag instead of slamming the bus hammer on natx, which he should have done to gain town cred when natx's lynch was pretty much certain at that time (21 mins to deadline, 4 votes with everyone else at 1).

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok gently caress it, I can't get any work done till I get this out.

merk posted:

##vote KB
Ok, this one ended up being true, but in a scummy out of context way given the nature of what we were told to do at the time, aka stick to our groups. I stuck with our leader's decision although I didn't completely agree with it as you can see later in my defense of Merk when he said the same thing. FWIW, I thought I had actually mentioned him in this post:

King Burgundy posted:

Well poo poo. The people I want to vote for are in the other group.

But upon looking back I didn't actually mention Natx by name. At the time I wanted to vote Natx and sort of jokingly wanted to vote Merk for his Beast comment. I didn't seriously think he'd do the beast thing again as scum at the time, but it still called my attention.

merk posted:

##vote KB

This looks like a straight up lie to me. I did mention a few more people I thought were town then scum, but the only actual case I made was against Brazen.

King Burgundy posted:

Hi, ok, now that I've taken the time to count since the start of the day, survey says:

##vote Brazen Apothecary

Also, while I was rereading, this twigged me:

When he posted this, these were my only posts since the start of the day:

Neither of these posts seem anything like what he is describing, in fact, I specifically said I was NOT active. If I'm super charitable and look back further to after PM's had gone out, I'm still not seeing anything like what is being described.

So I'm pretty good with this vote for other reasons.

Now, as it turns out, this was totally wrong, but still, I made the case and it was all mine.

merk posted:

Now this is just straight up bullshit in context AND factually wrong. First off, Natx was the strong vote leader at the time and didn't need any more votes. We had a double plurality lynch and although it was only mildly hinted in this thread we were trying to make sure there weren't enough free votes to lynch Capps as the second vote. The point was to find TWO candidates, not pile onto one. You should know this. Thus, you are being misleading. Also:

King Burgundy posted:

I've already posted on this, but I'm fine in desert and melee.

I still like my vote on Brazen and think people should join me.

Oh look, me trying to push for Brazen again. BOOM. gently caress you, liar.

King Burgundy posted:

I'll be around on and off until deadline, gotta get my kid fed and put to bed. I still like my brazen vote, but if you want me to move my vote just say the word. Who should I be voting for?

Oh poo poo, what is that? Me again confirming my like of my Brazen vote? I don't have that many posts Merk, you are only this sloppy and wrong about your cases when you are scum. This also points out my reason for leaving my Brazen vote. Capps specifically requests me to move it. Your wrong case was the only viable one I saw on the table, so I switched. Magnus had also twigged me a bit by constantly jumping his attention around. Specifically, when he asked me about you, Merk, then immediately jumped to YPM. Felt super weird and inauthentic.

---

So to be clear, at this point, I think Merk is scum because in my brief playtime with him, his cases and defenses aren't this poo poo unless he is scum and trying to make up things wholecloth to redirect attention. I think he saw that I said I would be rereading the thread for content and was worried I'd jump on him, so he decided to try and get a sloppy case out against me to make my vote against him seem OMGUS.

##vote Merk

I have an hour long meeting now, but I'll check back in after that briefly before I start working again.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
That's a pretty good and honest-sounding defense.

##vote Gulag

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

So to be clear, at this point, I think Merk is scum because in my brief playtime with him, his cases and defenses aren't this poo poo unless he is scum and trying to make up things wholecloth to redirect attention. I think he saw that I said I would be rereading the thread for content and was worried I'd jump on him, so he decided to try and get a sloppy case out against me to make my vote against him seem OMGUS.

##vote Merk

To address a meta point since it's my pet peeve to be meta'd incorrectly: My cases as scum are incredibly persuasive. I spend great time maknig sure they are without error and as persuasive as possible because I know that they must be to win the day and avoid culpability when I lynch town. My cases as town are usually not as strong since I'm not sure that I'm right (even when I slam down saying that I know I am and will vote no one else).

That said, I'm not ceding that my case on you was bad by any means, merely addressing an incorrect meta point. I unvoted from your defense, which I find genuine.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
From my read this morning I think the following people are Town, with this forced order of confidence:
Hal - explained
KB - explained
YPM - I don't like the way he is casing me, but I think he's legitimately invested in it.
Fat Samurai - I think 100Yrs commenting about natx being a 'valid choice' while voting Fat Samurai makes it seem like he was setting natx up as a fallback if he needed while trying to push a town. That town is Fat Samurai.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Natx is a completely valid choice. Though I'd feel bad for the whole first new game thing. You lot (not you literally) were really great in that first game of mine.

##vote fat samurai still a bad poster with scripted comments it seems to me. Doesn't live being town.

The only scum read I have right now is Gulag.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

natx posted:

I don't care if you get everybody to stop trying to lynch me. I don't want to offend anybody by saying they're susceptible to mind control but basically I think that's whats going on here. Winvirus is like a forked tongued advisor to mr capps. That being said even though they're not in my group I think it's obvious that GulagDolls and Fat Samurai are both scum, their bickering comes across as phony and staged. Even though Propoganda Machine voted to lynch me this rings true: "you guys are assholes. i'm not scum, and i kind of wanted to play this one even though i am APPARENTLY very bad at mafia. if you lynch me, you'll get a useless town flip and lose out on somebody who doesn't suck in battle. " because that's how I feel even though I'll probably suck in battle. ##vote winvirus

Looking back, I should have looked at winvirus' content when I was judging this post as townie. There is no basis whatsoever for natx to say that winvirus is a "forked tongued advisor to mr. capps'. Look at how many posts winvirus has and his little content - it's an insane thing to say.

I'm not sure what it says about winvirus. I don't think he'd hold a bus on day 1 in a Soldiers game. However, there really wasn't an alternative candidate to natx at any point in the day except right near deadline.

This post has no purpose after I've written it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

GulagDolls posted:

we gotta murder hal.

How is Hal scum with 100Yrs' vote on him? Why would 100Yrs vote Hal there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

[b]winvirus, Atreides (town) Aligned Mercenary Auxiliary was killed N1

Oh, winvirus is dead.

• Locked thread