Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Since bestbuy is no longer selling amazon gift cards it seems moto 360's are the best way to convert gift cards to cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Thermopyle posted:

I'd have to try it on, but I think it's possible that if the Hint isn't too stupid looking I'd rather have that then a 360 or any other smartwatch.

Thermopyle posted:

There no way I'm going to want the majority of my notifications to show up on my watch.

New texts, hangouts, caller ID, Google Now. That's it.

The hidden assumption here is that everything which shows up on the watch necessarily has to alert you which isn't the case. Silent notifications from the phone appear without vibration/waking up the screen, which functionally makes them more akin to pseudo-Now cards. From my time with the G Watch I've found that you generally do want as much as possible from the phone, provided the sound/priority/actions are accidentally/purposely appropriate. Its that last part which is the crux of the matter given the lack of approval process. I guess as long as at least one edge-case Wear owner exists on dev teams things could sort themselves out eventually.

The way I'd describe Wear's purpose VS a traditional watch is that it changes the question from "What's the time?" to "What's the context?". The problem is the lack of context producers for it to consume from. The dream of chips/beacons etc embedded everywhere still hasn't been fully realized. To make a metaphor of the situation: its sort of like a magic, auto-activating right click menu for the world, except nothing in the world actually has a menu yet.

The one piece of context wearables can uniquely create is Body context aka "Quantified Self", but Wear devices have barely touched this due to battery/cost constraints.

baka kaba posted:

Any word on what these things are running? L developer preview? I'm just wondering if the Project Volta battery gains stuff (and whatever ART helps with, although it might be under the same umbrella) is in place yet

It's in between, API 20 aka KitKat Watch. L will be 21.

bull3964 posted:

Always-on tanks the battery of all the android wear smart watches on the market and likely will continue to do so without a drastic breakthrough in screen tech.

The P-OLED in the G Watch R apparently has an integrated circuit to do just that, with LG promising 2 days always on when asked elsewhere. The G watch easily meets it 1 day promise with its always on/ambient screen active so its safe to take them at their word.

I find Ambient mode to be one of the most useful parts of Wear. More often than not you catch things in your gaze which you otherwise wouldn't have considered. It sounds trivial but in practice it's pretty much the physical embodiment of Google Now (especially so when a random Now card snippets display on the Watch face). Yes you can turn it off for more battery, but it completely changes the feel of the device, almost to the point where I'd say its crippled without it. And given the G Watch can last up to a day and a half with it on the trade off isn't worth it.

Naturally, the 360 is out of the question for me on that basis. Then again I'm willing to completely forgo the fashion aspect and have what amounts to a mini screen on my wrist (though to its credit being utilitarian to a fault actually makes it blend in. That said the biggest ongoing problem I see with square watches vs round is that there's much more variance in who will find it comfortable since they're far more dependent on the shape of the wrist. G Watch fits me just fine, so worksforme/won't fix.

Three Olives posted:

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother.

I think the problem is there needs success across multiple dimensions executed at the same time and thats where Apple's integrated approach shines VS modular. Given the newness of the market, there's a requirement for custom silicon so there are things only Apple can pull off in terms of engineering prowess or at the very least economies of scale, since it allows them to make tradeoffs the modular players can't match yet. I'm most interested in what they do with the biometrics sensor. If its plain old Healthkit data collection and nothing else fair enough, though that's essentially a diet plan with a battery. It'll be more interesting if they're able to rig up some new use cases/interaction models built on top of the sensors.

kitten smoothie posted:

Motorola pushed an update to the Moto Connect app for the 2013/2014 phones to add Moto 360 integration, and they've gone totally amateur hour with it.

If you pair an Android Wear device, regardless of make/model, to a Motorola phone, the phone assumes the Wear device is a 360 and uploads the Motorola watchfaces and apps to it.

Oh yeah, in addition to cluttering up the watch, it will crash your watch if you should mistakenly use any of them.

Sure Motorola could have not bundled their faces with the Connect app, but that would mean the only way they could update them/add more would be to wait for a Wear update. I'd blame this more on Google, since they should really offer a OEM-only interface in their Play services layer which allows OEMs to restrict the deployment of the bundled Wear apps to their own devices.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Sure Motorola could have not bundled their faces with the Connect app, but that would mean the only way they could update them/add more would be to wait for a Wear update. I'd blame this more on Google, since they should really offer a OEM-only interface in their Play services layer which allows OEMs to restrict the deployment of the bundled Wear apps to their own devices.

I would have figured Motorola could have pushed a small sentinel app to the watch whose purpose is to just check the build.prop to confirm 360ness and report back, then use the result from that to decide whether to push the rest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

The P-OLED in the G Watch R apparently has an integrated circuit to do just that, with LG promising 2 days always on when asked elsewhere. The G watch easily meets it 1 day promise with its always on/ambient screen active so its safe to take them at their word.

Interesting. I guess I can wait another month until October 14th to see how the LG G R stacks up. I just don't find it as visually appealing as the 360, but it's not offensive. I just wish it included wireless charging.

The Zen Watch also has my eye a bit, but there's no word on release date yet. Not round, but rounded. Again though, too bad it doesn't have wireless charging.

Lack of wireless charging would make either a PITA to use with a NATO band. You would have to unthread it to put it on the dock.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Fantastic Motorola! You guys can't tell me when my 360 will ship as it is now backordered and you can't cancel the order. I'm going on vacation and that's exactly what I want to hear. Either it gets left at the door or goes back to Motorola and gets lost forever like my mistaken order of a Moto X Dev edition awhile back.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like Jawbone's adding support for the whole stable of wearables - Android and also presumably supporting anything Apple announces next hour provided it ties to Healthkit. I wish Fitbit would do this; they already support the step counter in the iPhone 5s and this year's HTC One.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/jawbone-up-android-wear-healthkit-windows-phone/?ncid=rss_truncated

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

kitten smoothie posted:

I would have figured Motorola could have pushed a small sentinel app to the watch whose purpose is to just check the build.prop to confirm 360ness and report back, then use the result from that to decide whether to push the rest.

Hmm, but when would they get the chance? Play services scavenges the directory of installed APKs for wearable apps and pushes as soon as it gets a match. Moto could use that technique within the app itself to disable it (and thats probably what they'll do), but its still kind of gross that it gets installed at all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Three Olives posted:

That is straight up bullshit, what the hell Motorola?

Well they're taking that 1.1 Wh rating at face value, and not the 300 mAh, for some reason. Multiply 0.3Ah by 3.8 and you get 1.14 Wh, which does round to 1.1

I mean it's still a smaller battery than they said, which is kinda lovely

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Hmm, but when would they get the chance? Play services scavenges the directory of installed APKs for wearable apps and pushes as soon as it gets a match. Moto could use that technique within the app itself to disable it (and thats probably what they'll do), but its still kind of gross that it gets installed at all.

Yeah, good point. I imagine they could have Motorola Connect install the checker (as opposed to installing the whole pile of 360-specific stuff), and if it passes then prompt you to go to the play store and install a second app for the 360 that contains the 360-specific apk for Wear.

You're right though, what they do really need is the equivalent of the market filters, but for Wear.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like Jawbone's adding support for the whole stable of wearables - Android and also presumably supporting anything Apple announces next hour provided it ties to Healthkit. I wish Fitbit would do this; they already support the step counter in the iPhone 5s and this year's HTC One.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/jawbone-up-android-wear-healthkit-windows-phone/?ncid=rss_truncated

I'm pretty sure that Fitbit sees HealthKit as more a competitor than a way to sell more devices, Fitbit has always seemed to want to be in the service market more than the device market.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Apple Watch (not iWatch) has some interesting technical stuff - nothing revolutionary - but visually it's bottom of the barrel like the first g watch.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 9, 2014

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

It keeps the screen off unless you raise your wrist, just like the rest. Doesn't setting that on the 360 fix its battery life problems? 360 also doesn't look like a samsung product, so its got that going for it too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Turnquiet posted:

It keeps the screen off unless you raise your wrist, just like the rest. Doesn't setting that on the 360 fix its battery life problems? 360 also doesn't look like a samsung product, so its got that going for it too.

The Moto 360 is the only Android Wear watch that needs to completely turn off the screen. All the others last at least 24 hours with constant clock display.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's ugly and it does all the same stuff other smart watches do.

And it's not ready for 6 months.

Turnquiet posted:

It helps get it closer to reasonable but it's still pretty bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also starts at $349 (for what I presume will be the most basic bands.)

There are some neat innovations there (screen that can discern a tap from a press and included NFC for contactless payments.) However, I was really hoping that they would do something to push the blurring of watch and phone but the design is pretty much "square on wrist" like the rest.

What's going to be interesting is to see the different capabilities of the Android Wear api and the api this uses and how they push each other to evolve.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I expect it to be $299 at release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

I expect it to be $299 at release.

It's really neither here nor there. Android Wear isn't competing with Apple's product and Apple isn't competing with Android Wear.

You don't buy into a product ecosystem based on the wearable, at least not in this stage of the game, and neither platform is cross compatible.

I was mainly just hoping for a dramatically different take on the space to spur more innovation and I really didn't see that. The landscape is mostly going to be incremental improvements for awhile at least.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Can't wait for the Samsung watch with S-Knob technology.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Despite the unavailability, subpar battery life, and still-limited applications of Android Wear, I still really really want a 360.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Argyle posted:

Despite the unavailability, subpar battery life, and still-limited applications of Android Wear, I still really really want a 360.
I'm waiting for the rest of you jerks to buy them and tell me if it's worth spending 8.75L of bourbon on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has responded to the iFixit teardown.

quote:

The typical battery capacity for Moto 360 is 320mAh and the minimum is 300mAh. In the mobile industry, sometimes both the minimum and typical capacity is listed on the battery, with the typical capacity quoted as the official battery size. Both figures are included on the batteries of our Moto X, Moto E and Moto G devices. In the case of smaller devices, we arent always able to list both figures. For Moto 360, we only had room for one figure and choose to list the minimal capacity of the battery. We see how this can be confusing and we will look into ways to add the typical capacity as well in the future.

So, it's a case of internet blowing up over nothing. For clarification, here's the distinction between "minimum" and "typical" capacity. At high discharge rates, capacity is decreased. So, 300mAh would be the minimum capacity under the highest discharge rate. Under the consumption load that the watch sees, the capacity is 320mAh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

So, it's a case of internet blowing up over nothing.

Why, I never...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Argyle posted:

Seriously same. The 360 looks hot as hell and the Apple Watch looks dumb.

If reviews of the LG R are more positive than the 360 I might grab that one instead. I don't like the look nearly as much but could be swayed by better battery life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, it's not so much the battery life for me. It's the thought that the watch could have a shorter life due to the older processor.

The way I look at it, we probably aren't going to get a home run product until gen 3-4 (or, at least, we aren't going to get a wide enough variety of products until then to satiate all different feature desires.) So, if I'm going to buy in at 1st gen, it's going to be something I'll want to use for 2 years.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm shocked that android beat apple in terms of designing a watch. Even Apple fans are saying the Moto 360 and that LG watch look much better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also, unless you can flip the screen around the Apple watch will be unusable for lefties. The knob is an integral part of the user interface and it's on the wrong side if the watch is on the right hand.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have no intention of buying an iPhone but I was hopeful they'd at least push the style side of wearables forward. If anything it makes me concerned about smart watches being a thing five years from now. I personally love them, as is obvious by my post count in this thread, but they'll stop making them if the sales are terrible.

edit: this is the Apple Watch's "wireless charging" which looks more like the magnetic dock LG uses

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 9, 2014

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also, unless you can flip the screen around the Apple watch will be unusable for lefties. The knob is an integral part of the user interface and it's on the wrong side if the watch is on the right hand.

I would be gobsmacked if they forgot that there were left-handed users. I mean, it's already got orientation sensors, I can't imagine it not being flippable for other- wrist wear.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

maltesh posted:

I would be gobsmacked if they forgot that there were left-handed users. I mean, it's already got orientation sensors, I can't imagine it not being flippable for other- wrist wear.

The screen flipping over would be simple, but the hardware button layout would be different:

Watch on left wrist = knob on top, button on bottom
Watch on right wrist = button on top, knob on bottom

How that actually affects usage, I have no idea.

edit: Then again, I would think that most left-handers would be used to the knob being on the "wrong" side, since that's where it is on 99.9% of all watches.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 10, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Argyle posted:

The screen flipping over would be simple, but the hardware button layout would be different:

Watch on left wrist = knob on top, button on bottom
Watch on right wrist = button on top, knob on bottom

How that actually affects usage, I have no idea.

edit: Then again, I would think that most left-handers would be used to the knob being on the "wrong" side, since that's where it is on 99.9% of all watches.

The problem is, on most watches you never need to touch the crown while it's on your wrist. The Apple Watch requires it.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

The problem is, on most watches you never need to touch the crown while it's on your wrist. The Apple Watch requires it.

Exactly this. Watching the keynote as a lefty I instantly wanted to know if it can be flipped to be work on the right wrist. Here's hoping.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ars said that Apple acknowledged left handed users and that they would accommodate them before the watch launches. They didn't state how (orientation flip or whole different model.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

With that, consider me sold.

(But, seriously, I'm still considering picking a 360 up just because.)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Banana_Boy posted:

Exactly this. Watching the keynote as a lefty I instantly wanted to know if it can be flipped to be work on the right wrist. Here's hoping.

I'm a lefty too but I only recently learned it's normal to wear on the right hand.

Right hand watch wearers are going to get hosed on the iWatch. There is no way they will have separate SKUs for handedness. Too many logistics issues come up.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Moto 360 looks good even with that watchface.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oh god with this apple watch disappointment my craving to get a 360 is coming up again.

odd question, when would you think that they would start selling 360s on Amazon? They sell other moto phones, but I'm not sure if they count since they are selling them as part of their mobile division.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Apple Watch is the best thing to happen to the 360 yet.

It's almost like it seems Cook & Co released this today, then tomorrow at 8am, they will F5 the public outrage...then "tweak" the design, begin production of the revised design and drop the price to $299.

Nah, it's Apple we're talking about here. My local news station sent out a text today (I'm signed up for their breaking news) saying "APPLE RELEASES WATCH $349 ON SALE IN A FEW MONTHS!!!1).

WTF. The last text I got from them was some serious poo poo about ISIS (not Softcard...) and terrorism stuff, then the knee-jerk ITS A WATCH!! breaking news!

Kool-aid all around the world. I just don't get it I guess. Simpleton consumerism I suppose. People like shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hopefully someone will quickly develop a custom dickbutt animated clockface so that wearable smart clocks will become truly mainstream.