Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Any more dumb than calling out breadchat? Like I know we have to start somewhere but surely there's something better to latch on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

The only thing thats happened so far that I thought was interesting was people going back to bread chat after Murmur Twin started trying to make a case. As far as lurker chat goes, in the other games I played the consensus was that lurker lynches were usually a bad idea because its easy and doesn't give town something to go back and look at in the later days to make connections.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

TwelveBaud posted:

I'm thinking Prop is the most likely scum. She's making easy-to-make calls like uncritically calling out lurkers. And her bread chat was about expanding the classification of bread and being light-hearted about butter (when only one other person has mentioned spreadable substances); even though it wasn't directly about town versus scum, it was using the metaphor this game is based around in a calculating attempt to try to dilute "towndom" and de-fang "scumdom".

I don't see calling out the lurkers as particularly scummy, especially if the intent was to get them to post more which is what it looked like to me. Am I completely off-base here?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TwelveBaud posted:

Just got home from a long day at work, and if I ever get held 2 hours late, off the clock, for a meeting planning a product for a company that doesn't even exist yet, again, I'll... something involving new employment I guess.

I'm thinking Prop is the most likely scum. She's making easy-to-make calls like uncritically calling out lurkers. And her bread chat was about expanding the classification of bread and being light-hearted about butter (when only one other person has mentioned spreadable substances); even though it wasn't directly about town versus scum, it was using the metaphor this game
is based around in a calculating attempt to try to dilute "towndom" and de-fang "scumdom".

The capitalization case is dumb, btw.

Phone post.

I just threw out the bottom three names and asked for content. I'm willing to defend that.

I also think it's silly to take anything from jokephase seriously. But I do think your deep analysis of it is a bit suspicious. I'm not reading into it, and I consider the thread a clean slate from when murmur started actually making a case.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

soscannonballs posted:

The only thing thats happened so far that I thought was interesting was people going back to bread chat after Murmur Twin started trying to make a case. As far as lurker chat goes, in the other games I played the consensus was that lurker lynches were usually a bad idea because its easy and doesn't give town something to go back and look at in the later days to make connections.

Hmm, that return to bread talk would have been Met, but Murmur Twin directly asked if anyone else had bread things to share after posting their case:

Murmur Twin posted:

Adus/anyone else, any leads and/or stories about their favorite type of bread?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah that's what bugged me a little. He made a case (which I like even if its a weak case because it gets the game out of the awkward beginning phase) but then he just left the opening for people to continue talking about bread, as if he was just making a token case to look town while still encouraging people to not do any real casing.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Not terrible logic. They also asked for leads, but I guess that would be a pretty good way of keeping things ambiguous.
They went out of thread to find PMs posting patterns which seems like something you might do if you needed a case and wanted to appear to be making a good town effort. That combined with the return to bread could indicate something?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The lurkers are probably scum because they're not posting. Unless they're newbies in which case they're probably afraid to jump in. Unless they want us to think that and are actually money... unless they knew we'd think that.

...the wine in front of me.

Australia.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

To be honest, Met, I think you're posting about as much as the other newbies.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Met posted:

Unless they want us to think that and are actually money... unless they knew we'd think that.

Does money = scum?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Carpet Shark posted:

I'm 12 hours off of EST. I'm up all night, baby.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Carpet Shark posted:

Yeah, I was typing random stuff in while watching the scene WIFOM is based on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
for now, i think this is an okay move. i am willing to change it if better ideas come up. also, this person has not been back in here to defend themselves since they came under some legitimate flak. anyway, deadline is coming right up, so i think putting on a hint of pressure is a good idea regardless.

##vote murmur twin

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
makia edit.

##vote murmur twin

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Propaganda Machine posted:

makia edit.

##vote murmur twin

This is interesting, because both you and murmur twin are going back and forth accusing each other. I am not sure who to pick yet. I am going to see what (if anything) is said tonight and make my decision when I get up tomorrow.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Strong Mouse posted:

This is interesting, because both you and murmur twin are going back and forth accusing each other. I am not sure who to pick yet. I am going to see what (if anything) is said tonight and make my decision when I get up tomorrow.

i actually never accused mt of anything. i responded to her valid points in pure defense, because they were kind of valid. but further posts from other people noted that:

a) she called me scum because excessive breadtalk and lowercase

b) she encouraged further breadtalk

c) she went through my post history to case me

so, i think this is a better vote than just going after a newbie who doesn't post much. like i said, i'm open to other suggestions.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

i actually never accused mt of anything. i responded to her valid points in pure defense, because they were kind of valid. but further posts from other people noted that:

a) she called me scum because excessive breadtalk and lowercase

b) she encouraged further breadtalk

c) she went through my post history to case me

so, i think this is a better vote than just going after a newbie who doesn't post much. like i said, i'm open to other suggestions.

I get you points. I quickly skimmed your posts, and didn't see that you didn't accuse her of anything. I thought it was mutual accusations.

I am still going to wait until tomorrow to do anything. (And do it right when I get up for maximum "What was I thinking?" later)

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

You are acting like MT and PM are the only two choices in that you have to "pick" one of them. It also sounds like you are going to rely on other people to make cases and then just vote on the one that sounds best, which is pretty scummy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think the thing that stands out most about Murmur Twin is the idea of going out of game to get posting information. Meta is, as far as I'm aware, a really bad way of reading compared to actual in thread information. Going out of your way to gather meta-info is even weirder. Is it scum weird or newbie weird? That's the key point here.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

soscannonballs posted:

You are acting like MT and PM are the only two choices in that you have to "pick" one of them. It also sounds like you are going to rely on other people to make cases and then just vote on the one that sounds best, which is pretty scummy.

I wasn't actually thinking of picking either of them. If people bring good cases against them I might, but I plan on looking at what's happened throughout the thread before I do anything. I actually don't think either of them look particularly scummy.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think the thing that stands out most about Murmur Twin is the idea of going out of game to get posting information. Meta is, as far as I'm aware, a really bad way of reading compared to actual in thread information. Going out of your way to gather meta-info is even weirder. Is it scum weird or newbie weird? That's the key point here.

I'm reading it as more newbie weird.

murmur twin, what game number is this for you?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Met posted:

I'm 12 hours off of EST. I'm up all night, baby.

Oh crap, apologies for completely missing the 'Australia' bit in your one post. Now things are making more sense.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Strong Mouse posted:

I wasn't actually thinking of picking either of them. If people bring good cases against them I might, but I plan on looking at what's happened throughout the thread before I do anything. I actually don't think either of them look particularly scummy.

Is there anyone you do think is scummy?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Carpet Shark posted:

Oh crap, apologies for completely missing the 'Australia' bit in your one post. Now things are making more sense.

That was just a joke on the Wallace Shawn character going off on some tangent about Australia while trying to figure out which glass was poisoned.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Met posted:

That was just a joke on the Wallace Shawn character going off on some tangent about Australia while trying to figure out which glass was poisoned.

Oh God... Then never mind... I am an idiot...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Strong Mouse posted:

I'm reading it as more newbie weird.

murmur twin, what game number is this for you?

easy ask

http://votefinder.org/player/murmur-twin

she is about as experienced as i am. that probably means she's equally frustrated in her sa mafia experience, but, you know, i haven't read her games.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

soscannonballs posted:

Is there anyone you do think is scummy?

I just went through the thread to see what everybody has said.

The only thing that really stuck out to me was

TwelveBaud posted:

Just got home from a long day at work, and if I ever get held 2 hours late, off the clock, for a meeting planning a product for a company that doesn't even exist yet, again, I'll... something involving new employment I guess.

I'm thinking Prop is the most likely scum. She's making easy-to-make calls like uncritically calling out lurkers. And her bread chat was about expanding the classification of bread and being light-hearted about butter (when only one other person has mentioned spreadable substances); even though it wasn't directly about town versus scum, it was using the metaphor this game is based around in a calculating attempt to try to dilute "towndom" and de-fang "scumdom".

The capitalization case is dumb, btw.

because it seems like he's trying to push something, but it doesn't feel scummy to me.

Beyond that, not really.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

easy ask

http://votefinder.org/player/murmur-twin

she is about as experienced as i am. that probably means she's equally frustrated in her sa mafia experience, but, you know, i haven't read her games.

Well that site looks helpful...

I should really look at these things

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
though if she would like to actually comment about her seven games, that would be really neat.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
yeah, so, since i actually know i'm town, and there are two people actively pushing for me, that seems suspicious. that reads like a scumdoc strategizing. but what do i know, right?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

yeah, so, since i actually know i'm town, and there are two people actively pushing for me, that seems suspicious. that reads like a scumdoc strategizing. but what do i know, right?

There's murmur twin and who?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
twelvebaud

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Ahh yeah, I just quoted what he had said, and then forgot about it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
i'm more willing to go for murmur because it was a very brash move, and very strangely substantiated.

twelve doesn't look good, but for now he's slightly less suspicious. i could forgive him for hopping on the only case that existed at the time.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Twelvebaud certainly has a goofier case with the idea that Prop is subtly trying to convince us that everything is bread and therefore town and butter is pathetic therefore scum is not dangerous.

Which honestly adds to their towniness. It reminds me of the last time an arguement was so whackadoo the person pulling it could only come up with it as town. It's too risky as scum to get that crazy with your arguments, because it's a very weak position.

Swear to god though, if it gets to be a thing like it was in Battleship Mafia I will be very cross.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Twelvebaud certainly has a goofier case with the idea that Prop is subtly trying to convince us that everything is bread and therefore town and butter is pathetic therefore scum is not dangerous.

Which honestly adds to their towniness. It reminds me of the last time an arguement was so whackadoo the person pulling it could only come up with it as town. It's too risky as scum to get that crazy with your arguments, because it's a very weak position.

Swear to god though, if it gets to be a thing like it was in Battleship Mafia I will be very cross.

thunderdome or whatever bummed me out so hard.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr. Maltose posted:

That should read "a very weak position to defend."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
toot toot i'm a tugboat

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thunderdrome was dumb, Scout Ship and spending like 4 hours in the early AM was even worse. Fast Luck - too goddamn dense to be scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
my suspicion leans more toward murmur for really getting the ball rolling with not much to go on, but this is also my first game so who knows maybe this is just how this poo poo starts. it just feels super lame to start accusing people over almost nothing.

battleship is one of the few games i skimmed in preparation and that seemed particularly frustrating.

also 'being light-hearted about butter' is a hilarious phrase to me

• Locked thread