Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

pliable posted:

Nope, never made that claim, I've just never encountered game breaking bugs when I played them in the 90's. And no, I haven't played that, first Elder Scrolls game I played was Morrowind.

But you also cited an example of a game company who has always been notorious for game breaking bugs, so good job, I guess.

Nope, Gold Nova II currently, but I peaked at Master Guardian Elite a couple months ago. I'm sorry my differing opinion makes you think I'm an "idiot". Clearly you have all neurons firing too with your well thought out post.

bad vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

pliable posted:

Nope, Gold Nova II currently, but I peaked at Master Guardian Elite a couple months ago. I'm sorry my differing opinion makes you think I'm an "idiot". Clearly you have all neurons firing too with your well thought out and hilariously stupid assumption.

Jesus Christ

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

pliable posted:

Obviously bugs exist, no game will be completely 100% bug free, but game breaking bugs hardly existed (the exception I think is Battletoads, one that I can recall off the top of my head). An example of modern day development is when I got Borderlands day 1, and I couldn't even play it because of game breaking bugs. They sent out a patch the next day, but I've literally never experienced game breaking bugs for all of my video games in the 90's
Hahahahha. What?! Have you never watched a speedrun marathon? Those people make careers out of finding and exploiting GAME BREAKING BUGS. Taking games that are normally hours upon hours long and beating them in 20 minutes.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/1/5961171/zelda-ocarina-of-time-speedrun-explanation

Bugs in video games have existed since their dawn. Some small, some big, some game breaking, some so ingrained in the games lore that they become part of the game.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced you don't even write posts, you just mash your loving face on the keyboard.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

pliable posted:

Nope, never made that claim, I've just never encountered game breaking bugs when I played them in the 90's. And no, I haven't played that, first Elder Scrolls game I played was Morrowind.

But you also cited an example of a game company who has always been notorious for game breaking bugs, so good job, I guess.

There were a bunch of games like that. The original Pokemon games were packed with bugs that would erase or corrupt your save. The old Final Fantasy games would just abruptly stop in places because you couldn't get an item you need to move forward. But rose colored glasses and all that.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

[in duke nukem voice]welcom to the 90s gaming feels thread. blow it out your rear end

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

You are either a bad troll or an idiot because holy poo poo.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Please don't argue software or game development with the Cavern of COBOL and uhh "Beg for goons to talk to you on AIM" regular.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Coleman posted:

Hahahahha. What?! Have you never watched a speedrun marathon? Those people make careers out of finding and exploiting GAME BREAKING BUGS. Taking games that are normally hours upon hours long and beating them in 20 minutes.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/1/5961171/zelda-ocarina-of-time-speedrun-explanation

Bugs in video games have existed since their dawn. Some small, some big, some game breaking, some so ingrained in the games lore that they become part of the game.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced you don't even write posts, you just mash your loving face on the keyboard.

And they accomplish this by means of exploiting edge cases that normal players don't go through. Like you said, they're specifically seeking these cases out. If you're playing through normal parameters, then waow, you won't even encounter those bugs and they won't be an issue! WAOW!

Did you read my post at all? Did any of it go through your head? At all?

I'm increasingly convinced that CS goons have among the poorest reading comprehension in all of the forums. Jesus H. Are any of you high off your loving mind right now?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Please don't argue software or game development with the Cavern of COBOL and uhh "Beg for goons to talk to you on AIM" regular.

Why are you being a creeper and stalking me? :confused:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:smug:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

time to do some insane internet detectivery and some real creepy poo poo *presses post history button under your post*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Flying Fish posted:

time to do some insane internet detectivery and some real creepy poo poo *presses post history button under your post*

Please stop hacking him.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pliable posted:

Alright cool, well thanks for the heads up then. I'll just sell off whatever new cases I get then immediately.

pliable posted:

What the poo poo is this with plaid skins now?

pliable posted:

Probably older than you, chum.

And I've never liked this concept, ever. DLC, microtransactions, whatever. I'm not "freshly upset" with it, and I inherently believe it's wrong and know it does more harm than good. I've actually spent time studying the effects of this poo poo, as I work in the software industry. But that's an entirely different debate. I know I'm not the only one with this opinion, but clearly most of you are sheep who just blindly accept it, so sheep on I guess.

pliable posted:

I know that Valve has lots of avenues of money making, and everyone now knows how Valve works due to their release of their handbook, so it's a pretty safe assumption that CS:GO funding doesn't only come from CS:GO sales, as well. Valve is doing incredibly well off, you and I both know this.

Now, see this, is one of the most sane arguments I've seen. This is an interesting perspective that I think is valid as well, and I can actually agree with it to an extent.

Lower quality of initial releases due to the internet and the ability to patch things up later. Lots more initial bugs, versus back in the 90's where developers had to get their game right the first time. It promotes laziness because "I can fix that later".

pliable posted:

No, games and pretty much any other kind of application is far easier to develop for these days because of the work of programmers before myself.

I'm sorry dude, you're the dumb one here, because it's hilariously evident you don't know at all what you're talking about when it comes to any sort of software development.

The chances of this are pretty low, because again you're just applying a texture to an already created model. If there were any bugs, it would come off the modeling/programming end.

Obviously bugs exist, no game will be completely 100% bug free, but game breaking bugs hardly existed (the exception I think is Battletoads, one that I can recall off the top of my head). An example of modern day development is when I got Borderlands day 1, and I couldn't even play it because of game breaking bugs. They sent out a patch the next day, but I've literally never experienced game breaking bugs for all of my video games in the 90's

pliable posted:

Nope, Gold Nova II currently, but I peaked at Master Guardian Elite a couple months ago. I'm sorry my differing opinion makes you think I'm an "idiot". Clearly you have all neurons firing too with your well thought out and hilariously stupid assumption.

pliable posted:

And they accomplish this by means of exploiting edge cases that normal players don't go through. Like you said, they're specifically seeking these cases out. If you're playing through normal parameters, then waow, you won't even encounter those bugs and they won't be an issue! WAOW!

I'm increasingly convinced that CS goons have among the poorest reading comprehension in all of the forums. Jesus H. Are any of you high off your loving mind right now?

Why are you being a creeper and stalking me? :confused:

Bro ur mad about video game skins.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

pliable posted:

Which part was the lack of reading comprehension? When you said "game breaking bugs didn't exist"? Or was I supposed to infer from your mastery of the English language that you meant "through normal means". Because that's definitely not what you said, and plenty of game breaking bugs existed that were found through normal means, and found through looking for them. You are literally wrong in every single thing you say, it's quite impressive really.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can you report for hacking after the end of a game? I don't want to just make dumb reports.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
pliable you don't seem very pliable

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow a new update guys let's discuss what's in it!

e:

Release Notes for 9/10/2014
10 SEP 2014 -

[ SYSTEMS ]
- Updated a large number of systems necessary for the Linux client.
[ MISC ]
- “kill” command is no longer possible in competitive matchmaking matches ( except during warmup ).
- Fix for CTs not speaking their radio lines when throwing an Incendiary grenade.
- Voice status text now shows the player location for teammates.
- Radio command location text is now colored in chat.
- Planted bomb status now displays for spectators.
- Improved some inventory, inspect and economy audio feedback.
[ OPERATION BREAKOUT ]
- Operation Breakout is on sale.
[ PERFORMANCE ]
- Improved performance when scoreboard is visible.
- Improved performance when spectator panel is visible.
- Improved performance in some cases where avatars and “Display” items are displayed.
[ MAPS ]
- Mist
– Various bug fixes.
- Insertion
– Fixed buyzone bug in competitive mode.
– Updated overview map.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Coleman posted:

Which part was the lack of reading comprehension? When you said "game breaking bugs didn't exist"? Or was I supposed to infer from your mastery of the English language that you meant "through normal means". Because that's definitely not what you said, and plenty of game breaking bugs existed that were found through normal means, and found through looking for them. You are literally wrong in every single thing you say, it's quite impressive really.

The lack of reading comprehension was here:

quote:

Obviously bugs exist, no game will be completely 100% bug free, but game breaking bugs hardly existed

So, where did I say they didn't exist, period? And what has been cited so far was Daggerfall, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy (which btw, the latter two, I had zero problems with myself), so give me a more comprehensive list of games in the 90's that were pushed out to final production with game breaking bugs. 3 games isn't enough to cover the amount of games that was produced.

Elysiume posted:

Can you report for hacking after the end of a game? I don't want to just make dumb reports.

You can go to their Steam profile, click More -> Report Violation -> Suspected cheater, but I don't know of any other way to to do it in game.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
No more 'kill' command in MM :v:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god a friend talked me out of getting a Breakout pass, I'd have been sick if I bought one two hours ago and then this update hits and they're a dollar :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pliable posted:

You can go to their Steam profile, click More -> Report Violation -> Suspected cheater, but I don't know of any other way to to do it in game.
It's like they want people to make lovely, heat-of-the-moment reports.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nftyw posted:

[ SYSTEMS ]

This is excellent news. I'm really looking forward to ditching Windows once CS:GO is on Linux and yes, that really is the only thing holding me back.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

pliable posted:

So, where did I say they didn't exist, period? And what has been cited so far was Daggerfall, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy (which btw, the latter two, I had zero problems with myself), so give me a more comprehensive list of games in the 90's that were pushed out to final production with game breaking bugs. 3 games isn't enough to cover the amount of games that was produced.
But they didn't "hardly exist", they were rampant. In a few months, watch AwesomeGamesDoneQuick a speedrun marathon on Twitch for over a week straight. Watch them break SCORES UPON SCORES of games. Game breaking bugs for games from the 90s and 00s are STILL being found today.

mcvey posted:

This is to combat intentional deranking, which I think is hilarious.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nftyw posted:

Thank god a friend talked me out of getting a Breakout pass, I'd have been sick if I bought one two hours ago and then this update hits and they're a dollar :v:
Wait how are they a dollar now? What the gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011

pliable posted:

...so give me a more comprehensive list of games in the 90's that were pushed out to final production with game breaking bugs. 3 games isn't enough to cover the amount of games that was produced.

About half of these have some issue or another where you can ignore a majority of the game.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

How in the world is this patch 175mb.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hello internet posted:

How in the world is this patch 175mb.

They replaced Mist with a not-poo poo map.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Yeah of course you don't post the nuke match before that where *I* was the one top-fraggin

mcvey posted:

:rip:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

pliable posted:

Gold Nova II currently, but I peaked at Master Guardian Elite

How do you drop from MGE to Nova 2? How does this even work in practice? I had to throw around 15-20 games in a row with 0-5 kills in each to get an account from MG2 to nova 1. How do you lose that many in one go?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How do you drop from MGE to Nova 2? How does this even work in practice? I had to throw around 15-20 games in a row with 0-5 kills in each to get an account from MG2 to nova 1. How do you lose that many in one go?

It wasn't instant, it's been gradual. There was one week where I was doing balls to the walls awesome and got myself to MGE from MG1. Then I started losing more games due to playing with buddies who were higher ranked than me, along with getting into some weirdly hosed up matchmaking schemes. There was one game I played once that matched silvers with MG and up.

nftyw posted:

Wow a new update guys let's discuss what's in it!

e:

Release Notes for 9/10/2014
10 SEP 2014 -

[ SYSTEMS ]

Is the Linux client even out? Or they're just preparing for it? That's loving awesome regardless.

Orv posted:

About half of these have some issue or another where you can ignore a majority of the game.

Okay, but the game breaking bugs are specifically exploited, right? What about playing within the confines of normal parameters?

You guys keep citing speedruns which is completely dumb because, like you guys said yourself, they're specifically finding and exploiting these bugs. I'm talking about game breaking bugs that are encountered through normal, everyday gameplay.

Show me a list of games like that from the 90's and I'll recant my argument. Because as far as I'm concerned, again, I've never encountered game breaking bugs in any of the games I played in the 90's. The 00's and up though? I encounter them a lot more frequently, and then they're later patched because yay internet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pliable posted:

Show me a list of games like that from the 90's and I'll recant my argument. Because as far as I'm concerned, again, I've never encountered game breaking bugs in any of the games I played in the 90's. The 00's and up though? I encounter them a lot more frequently, and then they're later patched because yay internet.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Shut the gently caress up about 90s games or whatever.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Voted thread a 1. Jesus loving Christ.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Holy poo poo you guys, you're getting trolled for pages and pages.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are plenty of examples of horribly gamebreaking bugs in 90s video games.

Like that bug where your car vanishes in Fallout 2 and whoops hope you weren't keeping key items in it because they're gone, forever. You could literally not finish the game if you did that!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I guess with seasons and tuscan being finished soon, it's probably a given that they'll be added in with the next operation right? Other than new maps, missions, and a new case, is there anything else to operations? I started playing a week or two after Breakout came out.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

That Gobbo posted:

I guess with seasons and tuscan being finished soon, it's probably a given that they'll be added in with the next operation right? Other than new maps, missions, and a new case, is there anything else to operations? I started playing a week or two after Breakout came out.

Missions as far as I know are completely new with Operation Breakout. Before, you would just buy into the mission, and that gave you a better chance of getting case drops.

But that's pretty much all there is to operations.

djfooboo posted:

Voted thread a 1. Jesus loving Christ.

So did I. Funny enough though, you can trace this hostility from others, though I'm guilty of continuing it. But I'm done arguing, I've hit my quota for raging over video games for years and arguing with other idiots over it.

I submit to all you masterful, wonderful, authoritative, knowledgeable, god complex goons out there. You are all right! I am completely wrong :(. Wah wah.

pliable fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 11, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

These crashes to desktop in the new patch sure are fun!

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

pliable posted:

I submit to all you masterful, wonderful, authoritative, knowledgeable, god complex goons out there. You are all right! I am completely wrong :(. Wah wah.

About loving time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh my god he voted this thread a 1. Well first of all let me start off by apologizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

These crashes to desktop in the new patch sure are fun!

Try verifying your files after. I had one file that needed to be redownloaded for whatever reason after I updated.

• Locked thread