Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gwyn being weak and wasted away is thematically appropriate.

Nasshandra's just loving PATHETIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

I don't think anyone really complains about Nasshandra the Lore character. She's just a really lovely, easy final boss which is basically a theme in the Souls game at this point.

Dunno what you're talking about, the actual final boss of Demon Souls was pretty great. That guy at the end was a mercy killing. Didn't even have a boss HP bar.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Bad decision making imminent

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh god drat it I've done a good job not seeing this stupid S2.

Oh well, Matt and Pat will soothe the fire.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

This is perfect timing, I just finished The Wolf Among Us (which was better than TWD by miles, simply by not being another loving zombie story.) so it'll be fun to watch other people make terrible decisions.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahah this already started off so great. :allears:

Never stop hating Kenny Matt and Pat. The handlebar mustache comment killed me.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Every Dark Souls episode it seems like Pat's romanticized his old faith build even harder. Now the Defender GREAT(???)Shield is the greatest item ever made and shits all over every other shield in existence. That Dragonrider Shield is ridiculous if you have the carry load to equip it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

Every Dark Souls episode it seems like Pat's romanticized his old faith build even harder. Now the Defender GREAT(???)Shield is the greatest item ever made and shits all over every other shield in existence. That Dragonrider Shield is ridiculous if you have the carry load to equip it.

The Throne Defender's Shield is pretty loving solid to be fair. It's my favorite end game shield.

Also, what's the Deal with Zubaz? I mean I know where he's from but is it just some dumb thing they've latched onto to add into stuff or have they somehow gotten the rights to Zubaz as a character?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm pretty sure due to legalese, Zubaz was never an official trademarked Street Fighter design, and they latched onto him because he's so loving dumb, it loops around to hype as poo poo.

It's a good microcosm for the Zaibatsu if you think about it that way.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Professionalism aside, I really hope drunk/hungover playthroughs show up more regularly. Pat and Woolie's decision-making is greatly improved by entire boxes of sangria.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ahaha so I go from a video where Pat says "No I'm not Wrong about Dark Souls 2." then to the podcast where he says the Iron Keep DLC is easier and worse than the first DLC.

Pat has Nega-verse Souls opinions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Comparing the DLC is subjective on which has better level design and enemy layout. I don't understand how he thinks the 2nd one is easier.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Comparing the DLC is subjective on which has better level design and enemy layout. I don't understand how he thinks the 2nd one is easier.

Like the nothing in the Sunken Crown DLC has ANYTHING on the two non-Smelter Deamon boss fights in Iron Keep.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Pat does get quite a lot wrong about DS2 though. Like from the last video, not only is he for some reason positive that the Defender's Shield is a greatshield (it's just a medium shield, though a pretty good one) he said his original plan for their faith build was to build toward Caitha's Chime...which can only cast hexes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like the nothing in the Sunken Crown DLC has ANYTHING on the two non-Smelter Deamon boss fights in Iron Keep.

I would say if someone's memorized Smelter, then all 3 bosses in Sunken are harder than Alonne. However, the enemies, NPC phantoms, and Fume Knight are way tougher quite literally.

I mean at least Pat has said with the warning "To my knowledge" as a crutch on all his sentences.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tae posted:

I would say if someone's memorized Smelter, then all 3 bosses in Sunken are harder than Alonne. However, the enemies, NPC phantoms, and Fume Knight are way tougher quite literally.

I mean at least Pat has said with the warning "To my knowledge" as a crutch on all his sentences.

What? The only thing difficult about the Sunken boss fights are the adds in the Queen, and then it's only the Not-Aegis one and you can literally just ignore him and kill her.

The Dragon is yet another Dragon boss fight and is easy dealt with in the exact same way as all the other Dragon boss fights with the added issue of 'Having to walk around a bit more than usual' to it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

What? The only thing difficult about the Sunken boss fights are the adds in the Queen, and then it's only the Not-Aegis one and you can literally just ignore him and kill her.

The Dragon is yet another Dragon boss fight and is easy dealt with in the exact same way as all the other Dragon boss fights with the added issue of 'Having to walk around a bit more than usual' to it.

Have you, uh, ever actually done the Sinh fight? Because everything you just said is categorically wrong, Sinh can't be dealt with by the same 'get under it and roll between feet' strategy as other dragons and basically the only similarity it has to other dragon fights in DS2 is that it flies and shoots fire.

Looks like you, too, have nega-verse opinions about Dark Souls 2. Also, this is exactly the sort of discussion we shouldn't be making GBS threads up this thread with, take it to the DS2 thread if you want to keep going. I realize I may be perpetuating the problem with this very post, but at least I am only commenting on objective facts and refraining from a spiel about my opinions on the Sinh fight being fun etc.

The only way the Souls LP is going to be watchable again is if Pat learns to look up pretty much everything he says on the wiki before he says it. The casual observer who has never played a Souls game may think that we're all just being shitlord spergs and expecting some sort of perfect knowledge of trivial details, but that's really not the case. He's so wrong about basic mechanics that it kinda blows my mind how he managed to blunder through the game.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Walking Dead LP. I've never played these games and I know nothing about them other than people being upset about Season 2. It's stupid as hell and funny as hell already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like the DS Souls LP because Woolie gets more defiant every episode and will eventually kill Pat by accidentally killing the Fume Knight on the first shot.

That being said, at least Pat didn't write the Official Guide to Dark Souls 2 and yet still doesn't know to this day that Adaptability actually does something.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I like how after that Pat na'vi video, he catches himself saying those words and freaks out about it

edit: know what i mean?

Depths fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cathair posted:

Have you, uh, ever actually done the Sinh fight? Because everything you just said is categorically wrong, Sinh can't be dealt with by the same 'get under it and roll between feet' strategy as other dragons and basically the only similarity it has to other dragon fights in DS2 is that it flies and shoots fire.

Looks like you, too, have nega-verse opinions about Dark Souls 2. Also, this is exactly the sort of discussion we shouldn't be making GBS threads up this thread with, take it to the DS2 thread if you want to keep going. I realize I may be perpetuating the problem with this very post, but at least I am only commenting on objective facts and refraining from a spiel about my opinions on the Sinh fight being fun etc.

The only way the Souls LP is going to be watchable again is if Pat learns to look up pretty much everything he says on the wiki before he says it. The casual observer who has never played a Souls game may think that we're all just being shitlord spergs and expecting some sort of perfect knowledge of trivial details, but that's really not the case. He's so wrong about basic mechanics that it kinda blows my mind how he managed to blunder through the game.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Walking Dead LP. I've never played these games and I know nothing about them other than people being upset about Season 2. It's stupid as hell and funny as hell already.

I'm not a casual observer but I still think you're being a shitlord sperg about trivial details

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cathair posted:

That's what I did on my second attempt and he didn't do poo poo. He just rolled over and let me take it. At least Fume and Alonne involved a modicum of effort.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fume made me madder than I've ever been at a Souls game, like something about that boss made me mad enough that I actually got a headache. Alonne however is loving radical.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

I'm not a casual observer but I still think you're being a shitlord sperg about trivial details

It's extra funny because you can literally do exactly what he says you can't and beat the boss by the same exact tactics I said. it's exactly what I did on my second try on the boss the first time I tried to fight it differently than all the other dragons and ate it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know a lot of people that never learned there was a bonfire right next to the Fume Knight. I would be so much madder.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

It's extra funny because you can literally do exactly what he says you can't and beat the boss by the same exact tactics I said. it's exactly what I did on my second try on the boss the first time I tried to fight it differently than all the other dragons and ate it.

What.

Ok, to get on the same page here: with the other dragon fights in DS2, you can just stand in front of one or the other of their feet and attack it. They will either do a slow stomp, in which case you can simply roll toward the other foot. Rinse, repeat. Occasionally the dragon will take off and try to hit you with fire breath, just run toward the tail and resume hacking feet after landing. This is the standard strategy you are referring to and claim to have used on this boss.

This does not work for Sinh, because it's designed to gently caress you up for trying that. There's barely enough space to fit under this dragon in the first place. Most of the time, it won't even stomp, it'll do one of its other attacks and you'll get hit and flattened by other moving parts of the body. It can do the same by taking off; since there's so little space underneath, you'd better be drat good at dodging or you're going to get punted if you're hanging out underneath it when it launches. It even has an attack where it breathes fire down under itself, which has to be avoided by running to the sides, can't get away from it just by running toward the tail like other dragons.

This is weirding me out, I expected something along the lines of admitting to hyperbole but insisting that it's more or less the same thing, not insistence that literally the same strategy will work when I have never seen anything of the sort. Maybe your game bugged out or something? I don't know.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cathair posted:

What.

Ok, to get on the same page here: with the other dragon fights in DS2, you can just stand in front of one or the other of their feet and attack it. They will either do a slow stomp, in which case you can simply roll toward the other foot. Rinse, repeat. Occasionally the dragon will take off and try to hit you with fire breath, just run toward the tail and resume hacking feet after landing. This is the standard strategy you are referring to and claim to have used on this boss.

This does not work for Sinh, because it's designed to gently caress you up for trying that. There's barely enough space to fit under this dragon in the first place. Most of the time, it won't even stomp, it'll do one of its other attacks and you'll get hit and flattened by other moving parts of the body. It can do the same by taking off; since there's so little space underneath, you'd better be drat good at dodging or you're going to get punted if you're hanging out underneath it when it launches. It even has an attack where it breathes fire down under itself, which has to be avoided by running to the sides, can't get away from it just by running toward the tail like other dragons.

This is weirding me out, I expected something along the lines of admitting to hyperbole but insisting that it's more or less the same thing, not insistence that literally the same strategy will work when I have never seen anything of the sort. Maybe your game bugged out or something? I don't know.

Sinh is more like Kalameet from Dark souls 1 than anything from Dark souls 2. I have a feeling that if you are used to fighting Kalameet, Sinh is going to be significantly easier. I killed Sinh on my first try and I though that he was like an easy Kalameet with some poison.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 16, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I like the Dark Souls playthrough because they're playing a game that I like and are being entertaining while playing it.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
woolie is killing all the enemies fairly easily and isnt losing many souls and has beaten most of the bosses in a reasonable time so to my gigantic scrublord mind i think this playthrough is going quite well?? i guess his poise isnt exactly 69 and hes not using a shield he's using a GREATshield but who gives a flying gently caress about that except for autists

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't think anyone here is complaining about woolie at all? They're saying Pat is kinda annoying. I only watched a few episodes but it didn't really seem all that entertaining.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Oh man, I am so looking forward to tomorrow's DS2 video.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think anyone here is complaining about woolie at all? They're saying Pat is kinda annoying. I only watched a few episodes but it didn't really seem all that entertaining.

Speaking of Pat being annoying, what's with his weird hate of fighting mostly cool knights/people in a setting that is like 90% Human-ish knights adventuring around and loving poo poo up? Like I'd rather fight a bunch of unique and interesting sword mans than a bunch of lovely monsters.

It's like he doesn't remember the Dragon God, or the Barrel Spider, or the Fool's Idol, or that dumb Butterfly in Dark souls.

Souls games are pretty bad when it comes to giant monsters. Though I do admit when they get it right it's some of their best poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 17, 2014

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Listening to this week's podcast, and I am feeling bad about Matt's opinion on Elementary in comparison to BBC's Sherlock. In a lot of ways its a better show, mostly cause Steven Moffat is a hack.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Optimus Subprime posted:

Listening to this week's podcast, and I am feeling bad about Matt's opinion on Elementary in comparison to BBC's Sherlock. In a lot of ways its a better show, mostly cause Steven Moffat is a hack.

I usually don't listen to the podcast, what did Matt say about Elementary? I like both it and BBC (the former a bit more though).

Although speaking of BBC Sherlock, I should watch the third season. For some reason, I never got around to it.

↓ EDIT: Some things in season 2 were complete balls, but I am totally confident when I say that Elementary treats its characters with more respect than Moffat does for BBC Sherlock.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elementary is pretty terrible though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Didn't they patch Amana to be way easier

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's easier but will still wreck new players that don't expect the shump level spam.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Pat is kinda annoying.

^ I've literally been saying this for decades.

As for Elementary vs Sherlock, anyone I've ever talked to about the show in real life all agree the BBC version is superior. But this is the first time I've aired this opinion on the podcast, which casts a wide net to thousands of people, so there's bound to be a difference of opinion. I just find the acting, and just, gently caress, the tone of the BBC version feels right, and not just some NA watered down version for the mainstream to not be confused by weird accents and British things. And of course, I'd rather watch English made Sherlock Holmes than American to begin with.

It's like, "Yeah, you should watch the American version of Evangelion, poo poo's way better."

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 17, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love everyone on the show except Liam and Woolie who I am on and off about.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

TheRealestMatt posted:

I've literally been saying this for decades.

As for Elementary vs Sherlock, literally anyone I've ever talked to about the show in real life all agree the BBC version is superior. But this is the first time I've aired this opinion on the podcast, which casts a wide net to thousands of people, so there's bound to be a difference of opinion. I just find the acting, and just, gently caress, the tone of the BBC version feels right, and not just some NA watered down version for the mainstream to not be confused by weird accents and British things. And of course, I'd rather watch English made Sherlock Holmes than American to begin with.

It's like, "Yeah, you should watch the American version of Evangelion, poo poo's way better."

While I understand that perspective, it's kind of an unfair approach to Elementary. BBC Sherlock is literally, "Sherlock Holmes, but adapted to modern times" while Elementary is, "Sherlock Holmes if he had to deal with the consequences of being a jerk and making bad decisions even if he's a super smart dude" ; it's more of a slow moving character examination and drama with things that are switched around and the topic of drug use, addiction, and dependence has a really strong focus. It's NOT BBC Sherlock AMURRICA. It's a Sherlock Holmes adaption that stands pretty well on its own and has its own flaws (as I said, there is a certain thing in season 2 of Elementary that really sucked).

BBC Sherlock is the Sherlock Holmes adaption you wanna watch for the bromance and super human detective shenanigans that's enhanced by Benedict Cumberbatch's fantastic acting. Elementary, while very procedural at times, really shines through with how Holmes and Joan Watson's friendship and eventual partnership develop. /end TV IV sperg

My life feels empty without the Prison Break game to laugh at. I guess I could just rewatch the Sadness Trilogy...

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

Pacific Rim is better than any of the Rebuild movies :v:

BBC Sherlock show is too much in love with itself, endless back-patting on being oh so clever and inventive while everything original was blown out in season 1 and now it is just silly character shenanigans.