Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoctorWhat posted:

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee | Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

That's 9 2-hour stories each available for 3bux apiece from BigFinish.com. If you listen, listen "in order" between the brackets.

These are full-cast radio drama, not just narrated audiobooks! Furthermore, they all stand apart from the classic stuff with the PARTIAL exeption of Spare Parts, but you've probably absorbed enough contextual info (i.e. the fate of Adric) to deal with it.

Of these, which would you recommend for someone that just wants to try out radio drama (so a standalone story)? I'm also not that familiar with Classic Who but I can probably roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

computer parts posted:

Of these, which would you recommend for someone that just wants to try out radio drama (so a standalone story)? I'm also not that familiar with Classic Who but I can probably roll with it.

Probably either Spare Parts or Jubilee. Spare Parts is a great Cyberman origin story and Jubilee is a really :stare: Dalek story that also has some really funny tongue-in-cheek moments, especially at the beginning.

I recommend the latter if you're getting used to the format. It has an audio only companion, Evelyn, but all you really need to know about her is that she's a retired professor, has been traveling with the Doctor for awhile, and just experienced a moment which made her feel a little wary of him. It's also written by thread favorite, Robert Shearman and technically the episode, Dalek was loosely based on it (although to be honest, it's better if you go in without the expectation it's at all going to resemble that story).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

computer parts posted:

Did you mention you liked Douglas Adams? Someone did. Anyway, if it was you, I'd also recommend The Holy Terror. It's quite Adamsesque at points, if only his darker elements. Also it has a giant talking penguin as the companion. Just roll with it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

quote:

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee |

Thanks, guys. I'll grab these to see how I like it. And get the rest depending.

quote:

Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Neverland | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

I may have a 5-10 hour side trip as well( WOOOOOO!) . If I do I'll hit up the thread for more suggestions.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Forktoss posted:

But will an independent Scotland still want to watch Doctor Who :ohdear:

Doesn't an independent Scotland mean that the BBC has to cut the budget on all shows by a quarter? :v:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wanted to ask ya'll something because I greatly enjoy hearing the responses. Can you list the defining moment for each Doctor? By that I mean, the scene or action or plot point that you think defines that particular Doctor or the thing that you think characterizes the Doctor the most?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

RodShaft posted:

Thanks, guys. I'll grab these to see how I like it. And get the rest depending.

quote:

Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Neverland | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

I may have a 5-10 hour side trip as well( WOOOOOO!) . If I do I'll hit up the thread for more suggestions.

Those are very good choices, though you may want to pick up some Six audios before DoctorWhat explodes.

Spikeguy posted:

I wanted to ask ya'll something because I greatly enjoy hearing the responses. Can you list the defining moment for each Doctor? By that I mean, the scene or action or plot point that you think defines that particular Doctor or the thing that you think characterizes the Doctor the most?

Nine – The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances – “Everybody lives! Just this once, everybody lives!”

After all he’s seen during the Time War, the Doctor gets one moment where everything goes perfectly right. It’s his pure joy that shines out through the PTSD he’d been hiding in previous episodes.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ten's is the "I'm the Time Lord victorious!" shouting bit and then his subsequent sadness following the suicide. Either that or when Davros scolds him about what he does to his companions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Random Stranger posted:

Doesn't an independent Scotland mean that the BBC has to cut the budget on all shows by a quarter? :v:

Chances are that some sort of deal would be made that the scots continue to pay the license fee and continue to get BBC programmes, with a certain percentage made in scotland with predomantly scottish actors/crew (Much like already happens with BBC Scotland). If anything it would help the BBC out because screwing over the BBC is less of a priority for scottish conservatives than it seems to be for the london party. Of course any or all of this could be wrong, and in any case depends on there being a yes vote today which is pretty much a 50/50 shot at this stage.

Besides, if they do cut the budget of doctor who by a quarter it will make very little difference, three quarters of gently caress all is still gently caress all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Besides, if they do cut the budget of doctor who by a quarter it will make very little difference, three quarters of gently caress all is still gently caress all.

Listen, pal, I will personally be very upset if they suddenly have to cut down on the CG for remaking fan videos for the intro.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Listen, pal, I will personally be very upset if they suddenly have to cut down on the CG for remaking fan videos for the intro.

If they had told me that voting yes would mean they'd have to remove the loving clocks from the opening credits of who I'd have voted twice.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Forktoss posted:

But will an independent Scotland still want to watch Doctor Who :ohdear:

Well, they're not wrong. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahaha, look at this stupid thing I found poking around on some other wiki. Thanks, article about toothbrushes!
http://dwexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Expanded

Here, have a sample.

quote:

During the time it took for the time lords to arrive, the war Doctor fell into a coma, where he met his previous incarnations, the first seven who where ganging up on his preceding incarnation. When they threatened to unite to stop the current Doctor, this incarnation laughed and attacked after proclaiming them weak. He locked the Seventh Doctor in a room inhabited by all those he wronged, the Fifth he chained in a vault within a vault within a vault at the very depths of his mind, the First he literally beat to death, the Sixth he tortured by stabbing him repeatedly in the face, the Second he dissected, the Third he forced to be experimented on by humans, and the Fourth he shot at with a machine gun, while Eight ran away in fear. Upon awakening, he proclaimed"Doctor no more", saying that all of them were gone.

Oh, have the toothbrush article too. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Toothbrush

I hope this project for a new wiki some of you guys were talking about goes well.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SiKboy posted:

If they had told me that voting yes would mean they'd have to remove the loving clocks from the opening credits of who I'd have voted twice.

Those clocks and Capaldi's performances are the only good things about this season thus far.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spikeguy posted:

Seven's conversation with the snipers in Happiness Patrol.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Three's sword fight with the Master in The Sea Devils

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

"Do I Have The Right?"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Evil Sagan posted:

Those clocks and Capaldi's performances are the only good things about this season thus far.

I will literally fight you. Over the clocks that is, Capaldi has been aces for me so far too. If they got rid of the clocks the new credits would be merely "Kind of bad". With the clocks they pretty much look like they belong to a mid budget CBBC show from the mid 90s. The fact that they didnt even come up with the idea themselves but licensed the not at all cliched "Clocks in the credits for a time travel show" from a fan video is frankly embarrassing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'd be easy to say it's the "One day, I shall come back" speech for One, but I actually think it's when he's about to leave after Dodo runs off and Polly and Ben stumble in. There's that change in his expression and speech when he talks about how he thought that for once he was truly going to be completely alone.

For Six it's probably that sanctimonious speech he delivers at the Timelords during his trial.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Are we talking "most memorable" or "best characterises" here? Because for "best characterises" I'm taking this scene from Ghost Light for McCoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwU4WI_V64w

The sniper scene is great and memorable, but it's missing Ace. Possibly more so than any other Doctor, you can't really have McCoy without Ace. drat it all, now I want to go watch Ghost Light again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

For Six it's probably that sanctimonious speech he delivers at the Timelords during his trial.

Well, if you're limiting yourself to TV, maybe.

In ACTUALITY, his defining moment is his breakdown at the end of "Arrangements for War".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, if you're limiting yourself to TV, maybe.

In ACTUALITY, his defining moment is his breakdown at the end of "Arrangements for War".

I was going to say the exact same thing.

For Eleven, it's for my money either the bit on the bench in The Beast Below or his speech at little Amy's bed in The Big Bang.

I'm trying to think of one for Five now...

EDIT - VVVVV Caves is just too obvious, y'see!

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 18, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Barry Foster posted:

You won't :haw:

But seriously? Probably Caves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Any single moment when he rolls his eyes at Adric.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT - VVVVV Caves is just too obvious, y'see!

End of The Warriors of the Deep where everyone died

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is the defining moment for Peter Davison.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9zuvp_warriors-of-the-deep-part12_shortfilms

e;f,b while finding a clip of it, and then blobbed on the wrong link, fixed now

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 18, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Spikeguy posted:

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!

It's either that or talking the dalek to death. Or talking down the sniper in Happiness Patrol. Or the bit in Fenric where he's so sure he's smart but turns out to have handed victory to the badguy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Fil5000 posted:

It's either that or talking the dalek to death. Or talking down the sniper in Happiness Patrol. Or the bit in Fenric where he's so sure he's smart but turns out to have handed victory to the badguy.

I was torn between that bit from the end of "Survival" or this bit from "Dragonfire" where he says goodbye to Mel:

Think about me when you're living your life one day after another, all in a neat pattern. Think about the homeless traveller and his old police box, with his days like crazy paving.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

End of The Warriors of the Deep where everyone died

That or "...and I'm not gonna let you stop me now!" from Caves.

Trin Tragula posted:

Are we talking "most memorable" or "best characterises" here? Because for "best characterises" I'm taking this scene from Ghost Light for McCoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwU4WI_V64w

The sniper scene is great and memorable, but it's missing Ace. Possibly more so than any other Doctor, you can't really have McCoy without Ace. drat it all, now I want to go watch Ghost Light again.

And this is the correct answer for Sylvester. "We all have a universe of our own terrors to face" is the line I hear in my head when I think of Seven.

Bicyclops posted:

If we're sticking to TV, it's that or him comforting Peri at the start of Mysterious Planet.

And Troughton is so obviously the scene with Victoria from Tomb that I'm not sure what else you would use. Maybe the 'some corners of the universe' line, but that's very short.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Troughton? The scene in the otherwise poor The Krotons where he tries to beat Zoe at the quiz

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the second, if you need something else, he has a reply.

"WELL ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Troughton? The scene in the otherwise poor The Krotons where he tries to beat Zoe at the quiz

Somehow this is also the defining moment for Matt Smith's Doctor.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Controversial opinion: I love the new opening. I think the shrill oo-ee-oo is a lot more appropriately eerie compared to the straightforward bombast of earlier revival themes, and I have no idea why neat clocks and gears are any more offensive than silly CGI wobbly tunnel effects. It's not like wobbly cgi tunnels are any more true to the original abstract opening sequence.

I mean, I can see some grumpy folks not liking change and rejecting it, but the universal condemnation it's received here is just bizarre. It's awesome.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Clocks are the laziest most pedestrian thing to have in the opening for a programme about time travel. It's like a medical drama having stethoscopes whirling around as the title sequence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

He's the Doctor who is defined by the lack of defining features. Really, the celery is the perfect symbol for him...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Barry Foster posted:

"It seems I must mend my ways."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"You can't kill me...I'm a genius!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was torn between that bit from the end of "Survival" or this bit from "Dragonfire" where he says goodbye to Mel:

Think about me when you're living your life one day after another, all in a neat pattern. Think about the homeless traveller and his old police box, with his days like crazy paving.

Now I'm looking through wikiquote, this one is pretty good:

The Happiness Patrol posted:

Earl Sigma: Blissful, isn’t it, Doctor? Silence.
The Doctor: Aha, not quite. I can hear the sound of empires toppling.

Edit: Oh, also this:

Ghost Light posted:

Doctor: I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places. Full of lost luggage and lost souls.And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty.

Man, I love Seven.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 18, 2014

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Can't find it on Youtube but I think 'Oh look, rocks!' is Four's defining moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jon Pertwee, from 14:15

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1294ov_day-of-the-daleks-part-1_shortfilms

There's no other moment that defines him quite so well as completely misunderstanding the polite invitation to "treat the house as your own", and immediately confiscating the finest wine and cheese for himself. If you want to stretch the definition of a "moment", we even get a bit of UNIT shenanigans and then some Venusian judochoppery about five minutes later, at the end of the night. All that's missing is a good old rub of the lip and dressing up as a comedy washerwoman.

• Locked thread