Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RodShaft posted:

I have 2 9 hour drives coming up, and thought I should listen to some Who. I'm looking for suggestions.

Who-wise, I'm very familiar with the new series, but have never gotten into the older stuff.

Audio-wise I used to listen to audio books a lot. So if there's an awesome book with a good audio version I could do that. I've also listened to and enjoyed a lot of old bbc radio shows so I'm down with whatever style.

My favourite books to listen to are ridiculous action comedy things like Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

Also I'd prefer not crazy expensive ones in case I hate them in general I'm not out too much.

Well, if you like Douglas Adams, get Shada, by Douglas Adams, starring Paul McGann and Lalla Ward.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/shada-451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oh, and here's Tom Baker, from 4:30, and hopefully we can extend "a moment" through the cutaway to the scene starting 6:55, as well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9cx4d_the-robots-of-death-part-5_shortfilms

From extremely silly to deadly serious and back again, in the blink of an eye. Fundamentally challenging the way people think, opening their eyes and minds. Gently but insistently guiding Poul towards the truth. And the way he just walks off and leaves Leela there. He doesn't need to ham, or gurn, or shout, although he can do all those things as well. Effortlessly alien, but totally compelling. This is why although all of them may be wonderful chaps, he'll always be the best.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I wanted to ask ya'll something because I greatly enjoy hearing the responses. Can you list the defining moment for each Doctor? By that I mean, the scene or action or plot point that you think defines that particular Doctor or the thing that you think characterizes the Doctor the most?

Gave it some thought...

- First Doctor: the speech when he's alone in the TARDIS at the end of The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve.
- Second Doctor: trying to defend himself to the Time Lords in The War Games.
- Third Doctor: when he tries cheering up Jo in The Time Monster.
- Fourth Doctor: the "Have I that right?" speech in Genesis of the Daleks.
- Fifth Doctor: the conversation with Stotz in the cliffhanger to episode three of Caves of Androzani.
- Sixth Doctor: yelling at the Time Lords about how corrupt they are during Trial of a Time Lord.
- Seventh Doctor: probably the "There will be no battle here!" speech in Battlefield.
- Eighth Doctor: his speech to Sentris when he sacrifices himself at the end of Neverland.
- Ninth Doctor: "Everybody lives!" in The Doctor Dances.
- Tenth Doctor: his conversation with the Krillitane by the pool in School Reunion.
- Eleventh Doctor: the "Hello Stonehenge!" speech from The Pandorica Opens.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Listen is the best episode of this season so far, in my opinion. It was so good, I was able to follow along with no problem even though I was distracted from the realization that Jenna's right eye is higher than her left eye.

I like Clara's 'oh poo poo what have I done' reaction when she grabbed the kid's leg from under the bed.

I think I missed the part of what was in Pink's bedspread, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I think I missed the part of what was in Pink's bedspread, though.

The episode pretty heavily implies that it actually is just another one of the boys having a bit of fun with Pink. He's probably scared into staying under the blanket himself when he realizes there are strange adults in the room and takes the opportunity to leave when they turn away.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

Jenna's right eye is higher than her left eye.

Now I can't unsee it you monster!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

Gave it some thought...

- First Doctor: the speech when he's alone in the TARDIS at the end of The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve.
- Second Doctor: trying to defend himself to the Time Lords in The War Games.
- Third Doctor: when he tries cheering up Jo in The Time Monster.
- Fourth Doctor: the "Have I that right?" speech in Genesis of the Daleks.
- Fifth Doctor: the conversation with Stotz in the cliffhanger to episode three of Caves of Androzani.
- Sixth Doctor: yelling at the Time Lords about how corrupt they are during Trial of a Time Lord.
- Seventh Doctor: probably the "There will be no battle here!" speech in Battlefield.
- Eighth Doctor: his speech to Sentris when he sacrifices himself at the end of Neverland.
- Ninth Doctor: "Everybody lives!" in The Doctor Dances.
- Tenth Doctor: his conversation with the Krillitane by the pool in School Reunion.
- Eleventh Doctor: the "Hello Stonehenge!" speech from The Pandorica Opens.

I'd agree with most of these. I do think it's funny that no-one can agree on one for Seven at all. We've had like 5 or 6 different suggestions. Ten is particularly inspired, and I'd very much agree.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It'd be easy to say it's the "One day, I shall come back" speech for One, but I actually think it's when he's about to leave after Dodo runs off and Polly and Ben stumble in. There's that change in his expression and speech when he talks about how he thought that for once he was truly going to be completely alone.

For Six it's probably that sanctimonious speech he delivers at the Timelords during his trial.

For Six, I would vote for the "Nobody wants you. Nobody needs you. Nobody....CARES!!!" quote from Timelash. I don't know, that just defines Six for me, still in his aggressive and arrogant phase.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

It'd be easy to say it's the "One day, I shall come back" speech for One, but I actually think it's when he's about to leave after Dodo runs off and Polly and Ben stumble in. There's that change in his expression and speech when he talks about how he thought that for once he was truly going to be completely alone.

Yeah this is an incredible moment, and often forgotten due to coming from a "lost" episode. It's delivered incredibly by Hartnell, and Bradley did a good job redoing it in An Adventure in Space and Time where it was used to showcase Hartnell's own loneliness and fear about being left behind/discarded.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'd agree with most of these. I do think it's funny that no-one can agree on one for Seven at all. We've had like 5 or 6 different suggestions.

Seven just has so many good lines. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but another candidate might be his conversation with Davros in Remembrance of the Daleks. "Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding! Etcetera, etcetera!"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee | Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

Heyo, what doctor is this and what do I need to know about him?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RodShaft posted:

First bunch is the Sixth Doctor and you don't need to know anything apart from his wardrobe. Second bunch is Eight and you need no info. Spare Parts is Five, and knowing who Adric is and what happened to him adds to the story. Fearmongeris Seven and it stands alone, mostly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RodShaft posted:

The | between sets indicate a different Doctor/arc. In order from DocWhat's post, it's the Sixth Doctor, mostly with Evelyn; the Eighth with Charley; Fifth with Nyssa and Seventh with Ace.

Six and Eight, he's starting you with their first stories with those companions, so you basically don't need to know anything beyond the premise of the series, which you already do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Psybro posted:

Can't find it on Youtube but I think 'Oh look, rocks!' is Four's defining moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0bCSLx8JI

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Thanks, all I could find was many, many people's speed metal covers of the theme music.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Maybe this is only me, but whenever I think of Eleven, I think of his reaction to Craig's football friend saying they'd "destroy" another team in The Lodger. It was so true to the Doctor's idealism, but also showed that yeah, this guy is an alien. I think it's little moments little that where the Doctor is defined.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TL posted:

Maybe this is only me, but whenever I think of Eleven, I think of his reaction to Craig's football friend saying they'd "destroy" another team in The Lodger. It was so true to the Doctor's idealism, but also showed that yeah, this guy is an alien. I think it's little moments little that where the Doctor is defined.

I can get behind this. Its a little fluffy throwaway moment, but it really encapsulates his attitude.

I also like that bit at the town of Christmas where he admits that all of his crazy grand plans are him claiming he knows what to do but is just waiting for something to happen that he can take the credit for.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

jivjov posted:

I can get behind this. Its a little fluffy throwaway moment, but it really encapsulates his attitude.

I also like that bit at the town of Christmas where he admits that all of his crazy grand plans are him claiming he knows what to do but is just waiting for something to happen that he can take the credit for.

Most of The Time of the Doctor is wonderfully representative of 11.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PoshAlligator posted:

Most of The Time of the Doctor is wonderfully representative of 11.

A man who lies a wooden cyberman into setting itself on fire.

...Yeah, that's basically 11 for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

And he completely follows through on that to the bitter (actually happy!) end, when he totters on up to see the Daleks and laughs at them for still being scared of him even though he's obviously got no plans and is admitting as much to them. They just can't bring themselves to believe him because he ALWAYS has something up his sleeve, and that hesitation and their own bluster ends up being their downfall.

Shugojin posted:

A man who lies a wooden cyberman into setting itself on fire.

...Yeah, that's basically 11 for you.

I like how he dealt with the truth field after getting used to it. He never actually lies the whole time he's there, he just is very careful about only telling so much of the truth. He tells Clara he needs her to go do something in the TARDIS that will help him without mentioning that will be returning her to her own time and planet. He never actually tells the Cyberman he reversed its weaponry, just that he COULD have done it. He assures the young man he mistakes for the little kid from centuries earlier that he has a plan, and he does, but that plan is that he has no idea what to do now so he's just going to see what happens.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't dislike the intro, aside from feeling the gears are a little.. What?

We've reached twelve doctors, and there's twelve hours on a clock, so a clock face theme fits at least for this season. The big fat roman numerals remind me of Final Fantasy logo nostalgia more than the various Doctors, but I'm not complaining.

The way it unravels with a bunch of planets zipping around fits the "time and space" idea. It's as subtle as a hammer to the head, but it's fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

Seven just has so many good lines. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but another candidate might be his conversation with Davros in Remembrance of the Daleks. "Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding! Etcetera, etcetera!"

"Let me guess. My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
People make a lot of Tom being quotable, but Sylvester got so many good lines! :allears:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm guessing the bearded guy in War Games is supposed to be The Master despite never being named.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Bicyclops posted:

Big Finish Five also has a weird existential crisis when he talks about seeing his own regeneration before it happened and also seeing older incarnations of himself that aged more than they should have done.

Look, I'm probably never going to listen to this, could you or someone give me the gist of what five said? That's very interesting..

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I'm guessing the bearded guy in War Games is supposed to be The Master despite never being named.

:can:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In a word: Maybe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Officially, he's not. But even as a kid I assumed he was and so do a lot of other people. So he's the Master if you want him to be the Master.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

John Peel says he's the Master, but Peel also wrote War of the Daleks so I'm not sure he gets a vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
About half way through Spare Parts, apparently the Doctor talking to horses is a recurring thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Look, I'm probably never going to listen to this, could you or someone give me the gist of what five said? That's very interesting..

Sure, I suppose I could say a little more about it, maybe pull up the Doctor Who reference guide to fill in the gaps in my memory, wh-

ProfessorLoomis posted:

No, I'm starting to think alot of you guys are socially inept shuttins.. imagine that..

Actually, let me direct you to Google dot com.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clocks are the laziest most pedestrian thing to have in the opening for a programme about time travel. It's like a medical drama having stethoscopes whirling around as the title sequence.
For much of the show the character of Doctor WHO wore a coat with a question mark on it and clocks are featured all the goddamn time. This isn't Hannibal, the show has never been much for subtelty in its symbolism. You're welcome to propose a less plebeian abstract representation of time though.

Also the stethoscopes thing would actually be awesome so there.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Bicyclops posted:

Sure, I suppose I could say a little more about it, maybe pull up the Doctor Who reference guide to fill in the gaps in my memory, wh-

Actually, let me direct you to Google dot com.

Aw, I thought me and you were okay bicyclops.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Pizdec posted:

For much of the show the character of Doctor WHO wore a coat with a question mark on it and clocks are featured all the goddamn time. This isn't Hannibal, the show has never been much for subtelty in its symbolism. You're welcome to propose a less plebeian abstract representation of time though.

Also the stethoscopes thing would actually be awesome so there.

"much of the show" = roughly 1980 to 1989, out of a run that was roughly 26 years or so (give or take)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know Doctor What really loves the coat, but I have to agree with Lalla Ward and Tom Baker that those question marks should never have been on the show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I know Doctor What really loves the coat, but I have to agree with Lalla Ward and Tom Baker that those question marks should never have been on the show.

They weren't even on the coat IIRC. Baker, Davison and Baker all wore them on the collar of their shirts, I believe. And McCoy had them on his sweater vest and that umbrella handle (both of which he protested against, in vain).

E: Also clocks have never been a recurring motif or whatever in DW now that I think about it, either. There may have been the odd episode here or there where a clock might feature for whatever reason, but I don't remember it being like a thing of DW that clocks are prominently featured.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Well the question marks are on the shirt, not the coat, so...

e:f,b

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And McCoy had them on his sweater vest and that umbrella handle (both of which he protested against, in vain).

Also his "calling card."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And McCoy had them on his sweater vest and that umbrella handle (both of which he protested against, in vain).

Ah, McCoy wanted the umbrella handle. He just thought the jumper was excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Ah, McCoy wanted the umbrella handle. He just thought the jumper was excessive.

I'm glad to hear that. I love that silly brolly.

• Locked thread