Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

Yeah, that Hail Mary really worked for Terriers...

That seems like a lifetime ago. Especially now with Tyrant getting the go ahead for a second season. While it may be the lowest rated, I can't imagine that it's expensive to make.

Come on second season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dead Snoopy posted:

Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt have been cast in the final season of Justified on F/X:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/justified-casts-sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-for-final-season-roles

:circlefap: Sam Elliott on Justified! :circlefap:

C'mon Yost...you've got 13 more episodes to surprise me w/ an ultimate casting coup of Ian McShane. :homebrew:

Was Sam Elliot's mustache also cast?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bobkatt013 posted:

Was Sam Elliot's mustache also cast?

It's a packaged deal. It's always been a packaged deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

It's a packaged deal. It's always been a packaged deal.

Well someone never saw the all-time classic Frogs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Deadpool posted:

No I haven't, and I feel like that's something I have to rectify at some point in the near future.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

Or The Legacy...

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Dead Snoopy posted:

Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt have been cast in the final season of Justified on F/X:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/justified-casts-sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-for-final-season-roles

C'mon Yost...you've got 13 more episodes to surprise me w/ an ultimate casting coup of Ian McShane. :homebrew:

I love Sam Elliott! :swoon: Fun fact: he played my great-great uncle in a movie. We're practically family now. I wish. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

More than once, even. :haw:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

No I haven't, and I feel like that's something I have to rectify at some point in the near future.

If you like really cheesy bad movies then yes you should.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

This is it. The best thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

oshuaj posted:

This is it. The best thing.

Seriously, I don't even need Ian McShane anymore. Sam Elliot's on Justified. They've won.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

In fairness to DC, they've spent the past forty years trying to fix this with varying levels of success. Power Girl, for example, was introduced in the 70's to be a feminist Supergirl.

Complaining that female heroines are intrinsically connected to their male counterparts is disingenuous. Of course Supergirl only exists and operates in relation to Superman. Nobody likes Supergirl because she's an interesting character. They like her because she's a copy-and-pasted version of a genuinely interesting and incredibly popular character.

If DC had any sense, they'd produce a comedic Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane series. No bullshit drama, just Lois fighting her lizard clone, accidentally dropping the city of Kandar down a sewer, or going back in time to sabotage Lana and Clark's first date.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So I'm trying to make sense of this DC movie and tv thing. Someone tell me if I got it right or wrong.

Man of Steel is the start of a DC Movie Universe like Marvel's that continues with Batman vs Superman, Justice League, and then a bunch of unnamed ones. None of the past stuff including the Bale Batman films have anything to do with it.

At the same time DC is flooding the tv market with shows but they're not part of the movie universe? But at the same time they're keeping the tv and movie characters seperate and some of the tv shows crossover (Arrow/Flash) and some don't based on networks? But it sounds like there isn't any real coherent plan here as far as continuity, its just about throwing as much poo poo at the wall as possible to see what sticks?

On the flip side the Marvel stuff is ALL connected, right? All the movies, Agents of Shield, the upcoming Captain America spinoff, and the Netflix series in development? Basically an entire insane multi media universe that revolves around Sam Jackson's eyepatch?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Exactly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It helps that Disney owns all the means to get the stories out by film and tv. Warner doesn't have anything like that kind of vertical/horizontal integration.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Complaining that female heroines are intrinsically connected to their male counterparts is disingenuous. Of course Supergirl only exists and operates in relation to Superman. Nobody likes Supergirl because she's an interesting character. They like her because she's a copy-and-pasted version of a genuinely interesting and incredibly popular character.

That doesn't mean people wouldn't like her if she was interesting and not just "Superman but female."

quote:

If DC had any sense, they'd produce a comedic Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane series. No bullshit drama, just Lois fighting her lizard clone, accidentally dropping the city of Kandar down a sewer, or going back in time to sabotage Lana and Clark's first date.

DC seems to be way too invested in the DARK N GRITTY poo poo even though it seems like audiences got tired of that poo poo years ago and Marvel is making money hand over fist by embracing the inherent silliness of superheroes and throwing in comedic elements here and there.

...Well, excepting Arrow and Flash, at least.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

So I'm trying to make sense of this DC movie and tv thing. Someone tell me if I got it right or wrong.

Man of Steel is the start of a DC Movie Universe like Marvel's that continues with Batman vs Superman, Justice League, and then a bunch of unnamed ones. None of the past stuff including the Bale Batman films have anything to do with it.

At the same time DC is flooding the tv market with shows but they're not part of the movie universe? But at the same time they're keeping the tv and movie characters seperate and some of the tv shows crossover (Arrow/Flash) and some don't based on networks? But it sounds like there isn't any real coherent plan here as far as continuity, its just about throwing as much poo poo at the wall as possible to see what sticks?

On the flip side the Marvel stuff is ALL connected, right? All the movies, Agents of Shield, the upcoming Captain America spinoff, and the Netflix series in development? Basically an entire insane multi media universe that revolves around Sam Jackson's eyepatch?

Yes, to put a fine point on it here's a comparison of the universes

DC:

1) DC "movie universe" consists of man of steel and bvs
1b) bvs universe, shares some qualities of man of steel but they're also diverging in some major ways, looks like batman is gonna be the dark knight returns batman and apparently any Adams won't be reprising her role in bvs? This will also apparently feed into the justice league movie...maybe

2) Constantine universe

3) Gotham universe

4) supergirl universe (assumingly), could be directly tied to movie universe because of Wbs preexisting relationship with CBS

5) arrow/flash universe

6) teen titans universe

7) various cartoon show universes

Marvel

1) MCU, consists of all marvel produced films (starting with iron man and ending most recently with guardians), agents of shield, and all Netflix miniseries

2) various cartoon show universes

Basically the rule of thumb for DC is if it's not a movie it's in a separate universe unless it's on the same network (and even then, the movies aren't necessarily within the same universe, green lantern is apparently not canon and if bvs is a critical flop (which it probably will be) they'll reboot the universe AGAIN

For marvel it's if it's live action it's within the MCU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thwomp posted:

It helps that Disney owns all the means to get the stories out by film and tv. Warner doesn't have anything like that kind of vertical/horizontal integration.

I'm trying to parse what you mean, that time warner doesn't own movie studios or development houses? Because they uh...do

raditts posted:

That doesn't mean people wouldn't like her if she was interesting and not just "Superman but female."

DC seems to be way too invested in the DARK N GRITTY poo poo even though it seems like audiences got tired of that poo poo years ago and Marvel is making money hand over fist by embracing the inherent silliness of superheroes and throwing in comedic elements here and there.

...Well, excepting Arrow and Flash, at least.

It's not even that though cap 2 was great and made a ton of cash and it was essentially a political thriller with superpowers

The reason why marvels been critically and commercially successful has been brand management and patience, again they waited like eight years just to have their team up movie and waited almost a decade before putting out a television program

They put in the time patience and effort to create a universe large enough to have all these concurrent stories and as a result they're reaping the rewards

It also helps that Tonally the mcu movies have been very different, I mean cap 2 was again basically a thriller and guardians was essentially a misplaced 70s scifi film made on a AAA budget

Compare to DC which made green lantern which was a critical flop and they've retreated to aping Nolan over and over in their film slate and having zero brand oversight in their television properties

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 19, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

It also helps that Tonally the mcu movies have been very different, I mean cap 2 was again basically a thriller and guardians was essentially a misplaced 70s scifi film made on a AAA budget

Compare to DC which made green lantern which was a critical flop and they've retreated to aping Nolan over and over in their film slate and having zero brand oversight in their television properties

Flash and Arrow share a universe and if they build on that they could have something good on their hands, but I'm sure DC is as surprised at Arrow being a success as anybody and they probably won't have a shared universe across the shows on different networks.

I wish we had gotten the Robert Smigel / Jack Black Green Arrow movie. It might not have been good, but at least it wouldn't be boring and forgettable like Ryan Reynolds was in it and pretty much everything else he stars in.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

1) DC "movie universe" consists of man of steel and bvs
1b) bvs universe, shares some qualities of man of steel but they're also diverging in some major ways, looks like batman is gonna be the dark knight returns batman and apparently any Adams won't be reprising her role in bvs? This will also apparently feed into the justice league movie...maybe

The plot is a direct follow-up to Man of Steel, apparently starting during the events of the end of that movie. Amy Adams is returning at Lois Lane.

Toxxupation posted:

The MCU films are tonally very similar, they're all lightly comic and maintain an ironic distance from the material. They applies this to different genres (conspiracy thriller, space opera, buddy cop action). That's basically what the Marvel brand is, and the "shared universe" promise, since most people don't care about plot, is a promise that the tone will be maintained no matter what genres they might expand to. If they make a psychedelic Dr. Strange, you can rest assured it will be a lightly comic and ironically distant psychedelia. It's turned out to be a powerful brand to have, and it's even produced a couple of good movies (Cap 2, Guardians).

Green Lantern was DC's attempt to do the same, and it was god awful. So they've dropped the ironic distance and, unfortunately, the comedic aspects that were present even in the Nolan movies. At least, they did in Man of Steel, hopefully Batman v Superman corrects this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain America 1 is ironic? Ghostrider 2 is light?

I think you're mistaking a deft ability to juggle tones in a mainstream summer movie with tarring them as being the exact same thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Captain America 1 is ironic? Ghostrider 2 is light?

I think you're mistaking a deft ability to juggle tones in a mainstream summer movie with tarring them as being the exact same thing.

You're right that Cap 1 is a mild exception, I should have mentioned that. It's lightly comic, but it doesn't think the idea of Captain America is ridiculous once he actually starts standing up for what he believes in. They ran the hell away from that for Cap 2. The Incredible Hulk is also a little more distinct. The tonal similarity got a lot tighter once it became clear that Iron Man was the star and they started hiring TV directors who are used to copying an established tone while putting a little of their own spin on it.

They're, of course, not "the exact same," which is why I said "very similar."

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance isn't an MCU movie. It was Columbia Pictures (i.e., Sony).

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 19, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ghostrider films aren't in the MCU as far as I understand.

I think I agree with Sir Kodiak. I'm not a fantasy or sci if fan but I have no qualms with watching Thor or Guardians because I fully expect all the MCU movies to carry the same kind of light hearted, jokey but serious tone to them. They seem to walk this nice line between not taking themselves so seriously that it feels silly or bogged down but also taking themselves seriously enough that it feels real and meaningful.

I would say more than anything what I'm a fan of with the MCU is partly why I like USA as a network. When I start watching one of their new shows/movies I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and it hits the right chords with me. Besides that I'm just impressed with the sheer ambition of what they're doing since I can't think of anything like it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Are there any universes besides Marvel and DC, because I don't like either.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ravane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakBfSnRKjo

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

There's always Once Upon a Time's multiverse :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stargate Universe.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The Tumblr Omegaverse. :smithicide:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Munch is in The Wire, Law and Order, and Homicide.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

Just out of curiosity, what Doctor Who episode was it? I don't think I've actually seen any of the ones considered tearjerkers.

Sorry this is so late, but the one that got me was The Girl Who Waited. I'm not sure it would have quite the impact as a stand alone episode if you didn't know what she had been through just to travel with the Doctor, but essentially I'm used to Doctor Whowrapping up the episode with a nice tidy bow on top.

The bow for that episode is a bit gnarled, not quite tied right, and a bit off to the side. And for some reason it got me. I won't go into details because I've been enjoying the Toxx/Oxx thread and don't want to give away too much, but I thought that episode it great

And while writing this I just remembered that Vincent and the Doctor got me too. That one can work as a stand alone, it doesn't pull punches with depression, and handles it better than most non-family orientated shows. It hits you hard. Real hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Munch is in The Wire, Law and Order, and Homicide.

Munch is everywhere.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Thwomp posted:

There's really no excuse DC has. They own all their licenses to the characters and can easily have a shared universe if they so pleased. The opposite is the case for Marvel where Fox still owns movie rights to a lot of property and Sony still has Spider-man for what seems like as long as both those studios wish to crank out bad movie after bad until it's unprofitable.

Warner is a huge television and movie division, but they've always been afraid of their own monsters and lacked confidence that their product will meet a demand. How long has a wonder woman film been on the back burner because they were unsure that it would succeed or that there was a demand for it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

There's really no excuse DC has.

Yeah, it would be better described as a justification: by not demanding a shared universe they've allowed distinct filmmakers to present their own vision. Christopher Nolan can have his Batman retire at the end of his trilogy, while Tony Stark is going to have to get back into that suit in movie after movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And you don't lose good directors for not wanting to meet the house style.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, losing someone as inventive and interesting as Edgar Wright really shows that drawback. Meanwhile, DC has been able to let loose Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder, and are rumored to be bringing David Ayer onboard for a Suicide Squad movie. Joss Whedon, Shane Black, and James Gunn are interesting writers, but they vary from solid (Gunn and Black) to poor (Whedon) as directors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Marvel movies are super bland. Or at least the endings are bland. The last act always goes on auto-pilot and they all look the same.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I can't even begin to describe how goony it is to look at DC's TV properties — a fairly successful Green Arrow show about to start its third season, a Flash show with a promising pilot, and a vaguely Batman-ish show with great leads — and call that a failure because they aren't going to be dropping references to each other. I think DC has rightly concluded that the only people who care about whether Batman's favorite ice cream flavor is consistent across all of their properties are turbonerds.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it would be better described as a justification: by not demanding a shared universe they've allowed distinct filmmakers to present their own vision. Christopher Nolan can have his Batman retire at the end of his trilogy, while Tony Stark is going to have to get back into that suit in movie after movie.

Yeah, pretty much this. I'd rather more energy go into making a good and interesting movie than it being directed at making sure you've met every requirement or didn't step out of bounds of some studio mandated checklist for whatever franchise it is that needs another sequel.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Marvel movies are super bland. Or at least the endings are bland. The last act always goes on auto-pilot and they all look the same.
Marvel movies by that point in the movie are just the mega plot points resolving themselves in an almost obvious fashion (even Winter Soldier, honestly). I never really cared too much for the intricacies of plots in MCU movies (there aren't many) and more about the characters they bring to bear. Certainly more interesting than DC's offering which right now are mostly just morose and/or inscrutable figures that just barely qualify as people. I never feel like any of the heroes DC has made movies for really seem relatable or even fun to watch.

JohnSherman posted:

I can't even begin to describe how goony it is to look at DC's TV properties — a fairly successful Green Arrow show about to start its third season, a Flash show with a promising pilot, and a vaguely Batman-ish show with great leads — and call that a failure because they aren't going to be dropping references to each other. I think DC has rightly concluded that the only people who care about whether Batman's favorite ice cream flavor is consistent across all of their properties are turbonerds.
You know, minus the part where DC is tripping over itself trying to get Justice League member movies started so they can have a team up movie in like 5 years or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

The problem is that if the end go.. or now the short term goal is to make a Justice League feature, having half the line up locked up in a world that they won't touch because it's on a different screen size really does screw up the program.

The double edged sword of the free thinking and self contained hero story is that you get stuff like the rebooted Batman series and most recently Green Lantern. Not to mention failed attempt at other C-listers like the Shaq STEEL movie.

Warner has not had much faith in their properties. Look at Constantine. They didn't have the belief that unless you Americanized John up, no one would care. Now the NBC show looks amazing and it's true to the book as it could be.

Though, I am one of those who didn't care for Nolan's Batman in the slightest.

• Locked thread