Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3Romeo posted:

You're right about him knowing how to pick things. Some of his early stuff (Tommyknockers; Firestarter) has pop culture references in it, and while a lot of it is kind of esoteric, most of what he puts in has lasting value. I've mentioned before that reading his works in published order, even just the major ones, is a historical account of America's cultural change over the last few decades. Kind of amazing, really.

Sometimes he really nails it. The first novel he wrote, The Long Walk, really does show how a lot of people want the country to be run. Probably fits better now than when he first wrote the drat thing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The funny thing about pop culture references is that a lot of them end up not even aging badly, but simply being unrecognizable as references decades later. They don't even stand out from the text or anything.

Yeah, this is kinda what I meant when I said you won't even notice the Game of Thrones stuff in 5-10 years. It's the kind of thing that some people will pick up on, but by and large, will have floated into background noise. He doesn't write period stuff like 11/22/63 often, where the references come up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm actually pretty pumped for Revival. Mr. Mercedes gives me confidence that King can still make me dread the hell out of things when he wants to.

I'm hoping that Revival is a whole lot better than Mr. Mercedes and Doctor Sleep, I was disappointed by both. I'd hate to have three mediocre books in a row from him. I'm looking forward to it but my hopes not high. He needs a home run this time.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I guess the subject matter is appropriate to the network though. v0v

It took me a second to remember what the gently caress story Big Driver was and then when I did I was like that is definitely the kind of story Lifetime loves.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

juliuspringle posted:

It took me a second to remember what the gently caress story Big Driver was and then when I did I was like that is definitely the kind of story Lifetime loves.

I want to believe there's a clever, subversive director who told the Lifetime execs exactly what they needed to hear - "It's a story where a woman is a victim of abuse!" - to get a greenlight, but intends to hew closely to the book, including the reasonably gruesome revenge. I mean, how do you not see the first Lifetime adaption of a King short story?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sometimes he really nails it. The first novel he wrote, The Long Walk, really does show how a lot of people want the country to be run. Probably fits better now than when he first wrote the drat thing.

I've always seen The Long Walk as not just a political/satirical allegory but as an allegory of life, with the walk being the span of a life and the walkers representing different approaches to life (or parts of a single life, if you see the allegory representing one life rather than life in general). Garraty is the optimist, McVries the cynic, Olsen is the boastful man who is broken, Barkovitch the outcast/scapegoat, Colley (?) [E: I mean "Parker"] is the rebel, Harkness the intellectual, Stebbins is the prophet, etc. The characters play out the remainder of their lives compressed on the walk. They make friends, argue, support, fall in love, betray and grieve for each other the way they would have over the span of 60 years but instead compressed into the space of 2 days.

I think it is definitely meant as a kind of spiritual/personal allegory as well as a political satire. But also it's an action story, a war story, a quest. I think The Long Walk is one of Kings' best novels because it is so open to interpretation, so narratively simple and emotionally moving. It is also has some of his best writing, pared down (Hemingway-esque) and vivid. Remember those visions of sleeping towns they pass through, lone watchers sitting on benches, the images of the walkers under starlight and so on? Yeah, that's really some beautiful imagery.

E: If you think that is farfetched, consider how early this book was and that King was experimenting with genres at the time. All of the (early) Bachman books are very different in tone, subject and genre. Roadwork is pretty much a serious, straight literary novel with a violent climax.

Seriously, think about (or re-read) The Long Walk with the idea of it being an allegory of life and let see if it doesn't roughly fit.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Nintendo Kid posted:

The funny thing about pop culture references is that a lot of them end up not even aging badly, but simply being unrecognizable as references decades later. They don't even stand out from the text or anything.

The only reason I know that Jeopardy had a host before Alex Trebek is King's reference in the original Stand, and I only noticed it because I read the original stand first and revised edition later the same year and noticed the name change.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I've always seen The Long Walk as not just a political/satirical allegory but as an allegory of life, with the walk being the span of a life and the walkers representing different approaches to life

I think someone commented on this early in the thread and pointed out how the attitude towards death changes as the walk goes on (ie. their life goes by). The first death is a shock because it's so early on and the invincibility of youth is gone with the realisation that they are going to die, but by the end (when they're 'older') it becomes a part of the background.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The long Walk

E: If you think that is farfetched, consider how early this book was and that King was experimenting with genres at the time. All of the (early) Bachman books are very different in tone, subject and genre. Roadwork is pretty much a serious, straight literary novel with a violent climax.

Seriously, think about (or re-read) The Long Walk with the idea of it being an allegory of life and let see if it doesn't roughly fit.

I think it's a very good analysis and I'd never really thought about it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's a very good analysis and I'd never really thought about it.
Same. Thanks. I need to re-read this soon.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Dammit, now I want to read The Long Walk again. I think this will be my 4th time.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What is the spoiler free (I just got it from the library yesterday but haven't started yet) consensus on Mr. Mercedes? On a scale of Gerald's Game to Insomnia how is it?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

juliuspringle posted:

On a scale of Gerald's Game to Insomnia how is it?
Huh? On a scale of awful to turgid? Surely you mean on a scale of Regulators to Shining? :smugbert: I can't actually tell which is the high point and which is your low point on your scale.
(I haven't read Mr Mercedes, so I am just being a :mmmsmug: Sorry.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I just finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2, and it felt really King-y. Moreso than Heart Shaped Box and WAYYY more than Horns. (I kinda binged on Hill at the library last week)

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks that whenever Stephen King tries to write modern books everything seems like it's twenty years out of date? I'm 18pages into Mr. Mercedes and the cop is watching Jerry Springer (implied but never directly stated) and King seems to think every tattoo a woman has is called a tramp-stamp.

I feel like this book is gonna end up being so bad it's ok instead of something that's actually good. You know, like a book you read because "at least it's something" while waiting for something good to come along.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that whenever Stephen King tries to write modern books everything seems like it's twenty years out of date? I'm 18pages into Mr. Mercedes and the cop is watching Jerry Springer (implied but never directly stated) and King seems to think every tattoo a woman has is called a tramp-stamp.

Yeah wait until you get to any part with a teenage kid.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

withak posted:

Yeah wait until you get to any part with a teenage kid.

I'm already really close to saying gently caress this book. Part of me thinks I should have just reread Cell like I was originally going to. Stephen King needs to get hit by a van...full of drugs and alcohol.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

juliuspringle posted:

I'm already really close to saying gently caress this book. Part of me thinks I should have just reread Cell like I was originally going to. Stephen King needs to get hit by a van...full of drugs and alcohol.

Y'all are making me glad I decided to pass on Mr. Mercedes and wait for Revival. Hope I played the odds right.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

"juliuspringle" posted:

Part of me thinks I should have just reread Cell like I was originally going to.

That is also a bad decision.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stephen King is coming to my bookstore in Austin, Texas! After fifteen years of reading him (not long compared to some of you, I'm sure), I'm finally going to meet the man and get a signed copy of Revival. I really want to bring along a copy of On Writing, too, but the event details specify that nothing else will be signed, so I guess it would be rude of me.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 16, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

Stephen King is coming to my bookstore in Austin, Texas! After fifteen years of reading him (not long compared to some of you, I'm sure), I'm finally going to meet the man and get a signed copy of Revival. I really want to bring along a copy of On Writing, too, but the event details specify that nothing else will be signed, so I guess it would be rude of me.

He just may be narcissistic enough to sign On Writing out of all of his books, so it's a decent shot. Try to sneak it in.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

216 pages into Mr. Mercedes, it's less terrible than it started.
Though I do feel like Stephen King is incapable of writing nonstereotype black people. He almost did it in this one but then eventually they would start saying massah and poo poo like that. Like if they didn't speak like that for 5 paragraphs then goblins would come out of the ground and rape us all. Is there any site (or goon) that has a list of every Kingism in every book of his? I think it'd be interesting to see what pops up the most.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

juliuspringle posted:

Though I do feel like Stephen King is incapable of writing nonstereotype black people.

You're just noticing that?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Stroth posted:

You're just noticing that?

Not really but before it seemed like they ONLY spoke "jive" (is that the word? I'm not Stephen King so I wouldn't know). In Mr. Mercedes the black guy would speak normal intelligent english for awhile and then like some sort of verbal tic out comes all that massah talk. The book got better eventually though in true SK fashion the ending was kind of disappointing.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

juliuspringle posted:

216 pages into Mr. Mercedes, it's less terrible than it started.
Though I do feel like Stephen King is incapable of writing nonstereotype people.

Fixed this for you. Check out his gays.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Like any writer, he constantly goes back over the same themes, looking at them in different ways, so it isn't unexpected that there's patterns and repetitions. Sometimes they work (1922 in Full Dark is a thematic and tonal retread of Nona from Skeleton Crew, but fresh enough to add some new insight) and sometimes they're laughably bad (Dreamcatcher is a terrible rehash of It). He's mellowed out a little in his later stuff--there aren't any recent novels that end as brutally as Pet Sematary, for example--and there's been more suspense than outright horror, but word is the next book is a return to old form. Guess we'll see.

Edit: One interesting thing about a career as long as his: he uses pop culture to date his stories, like Ben watching (and loving) Dragnet back in 1958, and I have no problem with those references, but for some reason whenever he uses a current show (like Game of Thrones in Dr. Sleep) it feels really loving weird. He isn't doing anything different (except for the times he drops the ball, like the kids in Under the Dome), so I know it's on me, but I can't quite put my finger on why I feel that way.

I've never seen Dreamcatcher as an It rehash. It feels more like King watched the episodes of the X-Files where Mulder and Scully are trapped in a logging cabin/Alaska with aliens and thought "this really just needs a lot of literal poo poo, some Conrad, and a dash of Koontz to be fantastic!"

To be fair you might think that was a good idea after being hit by a van too.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jazerus posted:

I've never seen Dreamcatcher as an It rehash. It feels more like King watched the episodes of the X-Files where Mulder and Scully are trapped in a logging cabin/Alaska with aliens and thought "this really just needs a lot of literal poo poo, some Conrad, and a dash of Koontz to be fantastic!"

To be fair you might think that was a good idea after being hit by a van too.

There's an X-Files vibe, sure. King actually has one of his characters say exactly that. He isn't too subtle when it comes to his influences,* and I think that's why he also drops the "Pennywise lives" thing in Dreamcatcher. He knows he's going over old ground--the Power of Friendship and how it helps us Do the Right Thing and Fight Evil. (Pete even has a power similar to Eddie Kasprack's.)

I mean, there are a lot of plot differences, don't get me wrong. The characters don't have the strange success that the Losers had, half the group dies before the book's half over, and Owen is a sort of anti-Henry Bowers, starting off bad and coming to important self-realizations instead of starting off a bully and becoming a murderer. But the same framework, it's there underneath.

*the crazy colonel's name is Kurtz, for Christ's sake.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 18, 2014

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
On the topic of stereotypical black characters...

It has been a while since I've read It....but I don't think the Hanlons were particularly badly written. Even as an adult, I don't remember Mike doing any lame jive bullshit.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

ganthony posted:

On the topic of stereotypical black characters...

It has been a while since I've read It....but I don't think the Hanlons were particularly badly written. Even as an adult, I don't remember Mike doing any lame jive bullshit.

Oddly enough, all the lame jive bullshit I can think of comes from Pennywise whenever he's taunting adult Mike.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

And wasn't Dreamcatcher written when he was in hospital on meds? Still...no excuse. That's in my "charity store" box if I ever come across my copy.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

And wasn't Dreamcatcher written when he was in hospital on meds? Still...no excuse. That's in my "charity store" box if I ever come across my copy.

Yeah. It's his first post-accident book. One of the main characters gets hit by a car and another one works through suicidal impulses. In Danse Macabre King says that he goes for terror if he can, then horror, and when all else fails he goes for the gross-out. Dreamcatcher was written during probably the most physically and mentally weak point of his life, and it's probably his grossest (that is, weakest) book.

But that said, it helped him get through an exceptionally rough patch--sorta like a real-life analog of Paul Sheldon and Misery's Return. It isn't a good book, but it is an interesting one in regards to its author. It's raw.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 19, 2014

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I think I've read most of this thread, over the year, and enjoyed it greatly, thank you. I'm half-way through Mr Mercedes, and I'm enjoying it - it's not vintage King (of course - he's not vintage King any more), but there's enough there to keep me going. But I think I've spotted a simple, silly error in it. Anyone else? (Spoilering bits here, but it's nothing major.)

It's to do with King's damned habit of foreshadowing. Into the middle section, Poison Bait. Chapter 6 ends with Hodges leaving his house and "He leaves his house with no premonition that he won't be back."

Then same part of the book, Chapter 22 begins with "Hodges grabs lunch at a nearby deli ... and goes home" Have I missed something? Is there another way to read that first bit? Because King's foreshadowing bothers the poo poo out of me, and if he's doing it and then changing his mind, I am going to get pissed at him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He had no such premonition because he indeed went back!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hey everyone, truck on over to LitReactor and check this out: Every Stephen King novel in 140 characters or less

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hey everyone, truck on over to LitReactor and check this out: Every Stephen King novel in 140 characters or less

I like this guy who thinks The Talisman and Insomnia were some of the good'uns.

Also

quote:

Desperation(1996)
gently caress the police.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Apparently a new Dark Tower book came out in 2012 and I had no idea. Is it any good? I liked books 1-4 but thought everything after sucked poo poo. Sorry if this was discussed; I only looked back a few pages.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

origami posted:

Apparently a new Dark Tower book came out in 2012 and I had no idea. Is it any good? I liked books 1-4 but thought everything after sucked poo poo. Sorry if this was discussed; I only looked back a few pages.

It's Roland telling a story within a story to the Tet during a storm. It's nice world and lore building, but it's not really a part of the main storyline. It takes place between WaG and WotC, if that matters to you.

I liked it, but it's very much just fluff.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)
Clint Eastwood rescues Jesse Pinkman.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
The next one was better.

Dark Tower III The Waste Lands (1991)
Clint Eastwood and Jesse Pinkman adopt a raccoon.

Although Rage being Breakfast Club with guns was good too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
For those who are interested in King himself as a person should check out the next episode of Finding Your Roots on PBS (scheduled for 9/23 - check your local listings for times). He will learn about some of his ancestors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Dean Koontz ones in there are :thejoke: right?