Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

PoshAlligator posted:

Up next is The Book of Kells, at 6pm tomorrow, which will be on iPlayer at some point after that.

Graeme Garden is so good in this, his voice is perfect for radio plays.

Just a reminder, in case anyone wasn't aware: unlike the TV output, BBC Radio content is not region-locked and can be listened to wherever you are in the world for one week after broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm realizing just how much of my body language was influenced by David Tennant.

Are you giving The People's Eyebrow to everyone all the loving time? Because when I think of David Tennant on Doctor Who, I think of a permanently affixed raised eyebrow and a sort of shrugging gesture that accompanies the start of many lines.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In that they occasionally featured on the show. They had equal prominence to a chair with a panda on it, an iconic element of the show that has mistakenly been lost by the ignorance and lack of vision in the shows' most recent producers.
Uhhhh, again I didn't watch a lot of old Who, was there there an episode where a panda chair was featured as an important plot device that was later used in the season in an epic villain reveal?

This may sound facetious but from what I did see of the old show I am genuinely unsure.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Which "five incarnations" were these, because I did watch a ton of old DW and I am 99.9% certain neither clocks nor fobwatches were A Thing on the televised series prior to Tennant (granted there's probably a fair bit of it in other media, though).
I was thinking about the series in general. Apparently it's First, Seventh, Eighth (for what that's worth), Tenth and Eleventh. It's under the articles for "fobwatch" and "clock".

I'm not arguing that the clock-time association is some kind of inseparable part of the series, but it appears consistently enough that I think it's weird to denounce an (IMO) visually well-designed opening on the sole basis of "clock-time symbolism is too plebeian for the high-brow family sci-fi series Doctor Who".

I mean, hell, Hannibal used the image and sound of clocks to communicate the passage of time/urgency and that's a show acclaimed for its use of symbolism.

edit

Craptacular! posted:

Are you giving The People's Eyebrow to everyone all the loving time? Because when I think of David Tennant on Doctor Who, I think of a permanently affixed raised eyebrow and a sort of shrugging gesture that accompanies the start of many lines.
Waaahhhhllll...

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

For a portrait of a Time Lady, that's not at all a bad likeness.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pizdec posted:

Uhhhh, again I didn't watch a lot of old Who, was there there an episode where a panda chair was featured as an important plot device that was later used in the season in an epic villain reveal?

This may sound facetious but from what I did see of the old show I am genuinely unsure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Myfm2pqZQ

quote:

I'm not arguing that the clock-time association is some kind of inseparable part of the series, but it appears consistently enough that I think it's weird to denounce an (IMO) visually well-designed opening on the sole basis of "clock-time symbolism is too plebeian for the high-brow family sci-fi series Doctor Who".

I mean, hell, Hannibal used the image and sound of clocks to communicate the passage of time/urgency and that's a show acclaimed for its use of symbolism.

The thing is that the show has a real history of genuinely pushing the envelope and not just doing what's a bit obvious; it's impossible to overstate how everything in the original opening sequence was completely groundbreaking and had never been seen or heard before by its audience. Who's also very important in the early development of bluescreen technology due to its extensive use by Barry Letts; within the BBC it was known as Colour Separation Overlay or CSO - it looks utterly poo poo now, but at the time it was state of the art.

With that kind of history, it makes it a little disappointing when the modern show just does something obvious and ordinary. Ooo, time travel, clocks, nicked off a bloke on the Internet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trin Tragula posted:

With that kind of history, it makes it a little disappointing when the modern show just does something obvious and ordinary. Ooo, time travel, clocks, nicked off a bloke on the Internet.
I doubt they could reach the same level of technical innovation (I don't know what could possibly qualify, especially on their budget), and I certainly don't think it's less artistically original or interesting than the time vortex again (but in a different colour!).

If the standard is the original intro then not much could possibly live up to it. Certainly not the intro the show has had in the past three decades or more.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

The thing is that the show has a real history of genuinely pushing the envelope and not just doing what's a bit obvious; it's impossible to overstate how everything in the original opening sequence was completely groundbreaking and had never been seen or heard before by its audience. Who's also very important in the early development of bluescreen technology due to its extensive use by Barry Letts; within the BBC it was known as Colour Separation Overlay or CSO - it looks utterly poo poo now, but at the time it was state of the art.

Honestly I'd call the new opening pushing the envelope, after 8 years of "badly rendered CGI vortex" the push towards the abstract is pretty innovative while still maintaining the iconic elements of the intro. Barring completely changing the formula of the opening (like using the posters for title cards, which would be awesome and would also make the fanboys absolutely livid) I don't see what else you could do.

And the fact that a fan came up with the idea is not really an argument.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
There have actually been several really good, well-rendered CGI time vortices in the opening titles and I don't understand why they keep changing it for the worse. Same goes for the theme tune, in fact, which makes more annoyed than the visuals. The series 1 theme was great, and since then it's just been step backwards after step backwards.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Watched Inferno again today, it's the most enjoyably snarky outing with Pertwee vs Evil Benson, Liz and Brig and I don't quite understand how 7 episodes went by.

I just recently watched this for the first time. I think it starts off kind of slow, but gets better as it goes. After the fourth episode I was asking myself, "how can they possibly still have three more episodes?", but then those last three entertained me way more than any of the earlier ones.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I just recently watched this for the first time. I think it starts off kind of slow, but gets better as it goes. After the fourth episode I was asking myself, "how can they possibly still have three more episodes?", but then those last three entertained me way more than any of the earlier ones.

Yeah, I thought it dragged a little (well, it is that era of Who after all, and Pertwee had to have his car chase/karate chop quota fulfilled), and the whole "everybody goes to confront Stahlman for being an unreasonable douchebag and tell him to stop drilling, he says no, and everyone just shuffles off again" sequence happening again and again gets a bit tiresome, but him and the Doctor snapping back and forth at each other is just so entertaining, not to mention Evil Brigadier. Also it was pointed out in an excellent AV Club review that it isn't just the Fascist Britain stuff that makes this serial dark as gently caress...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I immediately pictured that exact same gesture paired with a 'well...', and didn'trealize until clicking this link how much that specific mental image applied to Tennant.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

PoshAlligator posted:

Two days left on Nevermore on iPlayer, the third story in the fourth series of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures range.

I found this one okay, but it was a bit hard to follow and I zoned out a little bit in places. I quite like the different dynamic Tamsin has with Eight than Lucie, and I'm surprised to like her as much as I do. The way this ties in to Poe is interesting, but I can't help but feel there are more interesting and lucrative ways to tie Doctor Who into Edgar Allan Poe's work, and I'm sure in the future there will be.

I thought the robot ravens were a perfect example of a funny idea that works in audio but would come across pretty badly on TV. The Poe references are campy but fun.

However, I cannot stand Tamsin (I'm not familiar with the other Big Finish companions for comparison) and there's a good example of Time Lords being used as a plot point for no good reason which makes me glad they're DEAD, DEAD I TELL YOU.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I gotta say, even if the intro feels uninspired somewhat there's a bit of cleverness in it. This is probably the last incarnation of The Doctor that could actually use the clock face as a motif and have it make thematic sense with Doctor XII. If I'm not mistaken there's some Gallifreyan bursting around in the background of the title sequence. That's a first, right? The vortex reveal is pretty nice in itself, also how can you hate THE EYES? Those are attack eyebrows! You can take bottle tops off with them!

I'm pretty sure it'll change when we get to Season 9, anyway.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, was the post stupid and kind of pointless? Yeah, I'm prone to that. But please.

For what it's worth, David Tennant made me like wearing a tie, which I was previously completely opposed to.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jerusalem posted:

The season long arc is not very well handled for a variety of reasons, one of which is being the first split-season which dramatically hosed with the pacing. It also marks the point for a lot of viewers where Moffat's verbalized thoughts (which I try to avoid reading) on how he wanted to run the show either fell flat or actively horrified them.

But it also has some of the best individual episodes of the entire revival - like, not just really really good but outright fantastic episodes.

Which ones? I'm going to assume The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex, right?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I understand moffat effecting canon is a sore subject here, but i just thought of "Listen" one last time, and i think it answers a long running question of doctor who, dating even back to the classic series. That i think that it makes clear (combined with showing the helpless populace in "Time of the doctor") that not all people who live in gallifrey are time lords, being that the adults who visit the doctor in the barn question his ability to "become" a time lord at a later time. This means that somewhere on the planet there must be at least a portion of the population that doesnt make the cut, and has to have some other title and occupation.

I am satisfied with this, as i always preferred the concept that time lords were specially trained, handpicked operatives of gallifrey's government, and not just a whole society of immortal time travellers. Even if we accept that "The doctor" was an average student (and a deserter), who doesnt share the attitude of the other time lords we encounter, it does seem that he rose to an elite position within the society at some point in his past.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see an early Mondasian "transplant patient" encounter a "modern" Cyberman though, if only for them to discover what a horrible parody of life their dream of immortality turned out to be.

The Good News: There's an audio that does this! More for the Cyberleader-talky type than the "DOS Error Message" revival style, but still...

The Bad News: It's by Joseph Lidster.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I understand moffat effecting canon is a sore subject here, but i just thought of "Listen" one last time, and i think it answers a long running question of doctor who, dating even back to the classic series. That i think that it makes clear (combined with showing the helpless populace in "Time of the doctor") that not all people who live in gallifrey are time lords, being that the adults who visit the doctor in the barn question his ability to "become" a time lord at a later time. This means that somewhere on the planet there must be at least a portion of the population that doesnt make the cut, and has to have some other title and occupation.

I am satisfied with this, as i always preferred the concept that time lords were specially trained, handpicked operatives of gallifrey's government, and not just a whole society of immortal time travellers. Even if we accept that "The doctor" was an average student (and a deserter), who doesnt share the attitude of the other time lords we encounter, it does seem that he rose to an elite position within the society at some point in his past.

Ha, it'd be cool if he really was the last of the Time Lords, but he finds some way to rescue the normal people of Gallifrey. Although, I can't see any way Moffat doesn't shake up the status quo so that the Doctor's not the only Time Lord in the universe anymore. It just seems incredibly likely that he'll put them back into play by the end of his tenure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had a language quirk of waying "Wellllllll" before I ever watched Doctor Who and during the Tennant years it was one of the many reasons people kept trying to get me into the show. Mine's a little more like Tom Baker's anyway. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm listening to Pier Pressure right now. "The British Broadcasting Corporation. Often unforgiving to their finest assets..." Subtle, Robert Ross. Real subtle. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spatula City posted:

Which ones? I'm going to assume The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex, right?

Absolutely yes, they're all excellent. Night Terrors is actually pretty good but the standard for individual episodes is just so much higher that year.

I also remain quite a fan of The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon as a 2-parter even if the season long arc it kicked off ended up being mishandled and the spooky villains it introduced never quite lived up to their potential. I still absolutely love the sometimes maligned solution the Doctor figures out to use their own abilities against them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Why am I watching some goddamn game show instead of Who. Who decided to poison my eyes with this filth?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Why am I watching some goddamn game show instead of Who. Who decided to poison my eyes with this filth?!

Where are the Z-List Celebrities jumping on a trampoline? :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Very dapper in that suit, Coleman.

e: Woman in shop = Missy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Do you have to reach a high shelf?" Hahaha

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I wasn't really looking forward to this one, but it's got a good pace going if nothing else.

e: briefing by crappy youtube video. Spoke too soon. :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Intriguing start

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

This is. Really not very Who. Tone-wise, I mean.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Oh I do love a good heist story, and Clara's dressed as a Reservoir Dog! :neckbeard:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is. Really not very Who. Tone-wise, I mean.

Since when does Who have a consistent tone?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

I had a language quirk of waying "Wellllllll" before I ever watched Doctor Who and during the Tennant years it was one of the many reasons people kept trying to get me into the show. Mine's a little more like Tom Baker's anyway. :colbert:

I've been dressing more or less exactly like the twelfth doctor for years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh Jesus Christ :stare:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Since when does Who have a consistent tone?

:shrug:

Eh. It has a broad-ranging tone, but I think this is outside that range. It's compellingly novel, at least.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Barry Foster posted:

I've been dressing more or less exactly like the twelfth doctor for years.
I have been dressing like the tenth doctor for years, except I supplement the coat with a fedora.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So is this a human bank? It seems very human for a bank that only holds money for solar system owning types.

It seemed even more human when everyone went "*gasp* something alien" in a bank known as the "Greatest bank in the Galaxy".

Would it kill them to, you know, have a few more aliens in it, maybe looking a bit more like, you know, aliens?

Hell, Farscape had ridiculous levels of puppetry and animatronics on alien characters that were only used in one episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Who: A Thing Will Happen Quite Soon

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kin posted:

So is this a human bank? It seems very human for a bank that only holds money for solar system owning types.

It seemed even more human when everyone went "*gasp* something alien" in a bank known as the "Greatest bank in the Galaxy".

Would it kill them to, you know, have a few more aliens in it, maybe looking a bit more like, you know, aliens?

Welcome to Doctor Who. :geno:

Kin posted:

Hell, Farscape had ridiculous levels of puppetry and animatronics on alien characters that were only used in one episode.

They had a partnership with the Jim Henson company, mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kin posted:

To be fair, even the Doctor had never seen it before.

If the others knew what a Teller was, that they'd gasp makes sense since who the hell doesn't feel guilt about SOMETHING, especially astonishingly rich people?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The scene transitions are really screwing with me.

ps black people dying first that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So which of the two do we reckon will turn up in missys garden?

• Locked thread