Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was watching a lot of Hulu this weekend and the commecial breaks not only have gotten LONGER, every single one played an ad for "How To Get Away With Murder", a new ABC show in development.

I find its helpful with Hulu to let the first ad run, let the show run to the next commercial break, and then refresh the video, you still have to watch whatever ad loads in first, but then you can skip past the first break without having to sit through 4 ads.

Its inconvenient, but probably faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Does ad block still work for Hulu? I find that ad block working on Hulu and YouTube to be one of the best things about it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

TontoCorazon posted:

Does ad block still work for Hulu? I find that ad block working on Hulu and YouTube to be one of the best things about it.

Last time I tried it it either breaks the video entirely or brings up a "Please unblock our ads :qq:" message that lasts twice as long as the ads would.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Last time I tried it it either breaks the video entirely or brings up a "Please unblock our ads :qq:" message that lasts twice as long as the ads would.

I honestly wouldn't mind waiting because I really hate the fact that if I'm paying for Hulu I don't want to see one second of an ad.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Asiandate.com has to be a parody. I refuse to believe it was sincerely created.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Asiandate.com has to be a parody. I refuse to believe it was sincerely created.

I kept waiting for the punchline. Margaret Cho was on @Midnight and I figured "Oh, this is probably for her next stand-up special", but no.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Apple has officially released the most obnoxious commercial ever created. Turn off the tv, no need to keep watching.

They just show their new bigger iphone from several angles while idiots who can't sing in key vocalize "Also sprach Zarathustra" for way too long.

gently caress you, Apple. Just....gently caress you for so many reasons.

EDIT: And it's not just apple. The Samsung Note commercials where they just read obviously contrived tweets and poo poo in response to this phone release by Apple is equally obnoxious. Can we just ban all advertisements for phones?

(and medications, cars, fast food, laptops...........)

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Apple has officially released the most obnoxious commercial ever created. Turn off the tv, no need to keep watching.

They just show their new bigger iphone from several angles while idiots who can't sing in key vocalize "Also sprach Zarathustra" for way too long.

EDIT: And it's not just apple. The Samsung Note commercials where they just read obviously contrived tweets and poo poo in response to this phone release by Apple is equally obnoxious. Can we just ban all advertisements for phones?

Then we'd only have those Sarah McLachlan puppy ads. :saddowns:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Don't forget the obligatory Samsung "Vomitting on a Violin in D Minor" in the latter

I actually dislike that song more than the Lexus jingle that they promise us we totally remember, which is amazing

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vicas posted:

Don't forget the obligatory Samsung "Vomitting on a Violin in D Minor" in the latter

I actually dislike that song more than the Lexus jingle that they promise us we totally remember, which is amazing

If I was even remotely interested in buying a Samsung phone I can't imagine any situation where that depressing, meandering, dying-cat violin music would get me pumped to go out and buy one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oh Samsung, all you have to do is run a campaign showing all the different ROMs available for your devices on XDA and anyone with half a brain would switch overnight. What a waste.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

carry on then posted:

Oh Samsung, all you have to do is run a campaign showing all the different ROMs available for your devices on XDA and anyone with half a brain would switch overnight. What a waste.

Not even Roms but the different launchers and designs you can do in android would really put itself apart but I guess that'd be an ad for android more than a Samsung phone or tablet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

FWIW those "idiots who can't sing in key" are Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake who can definitely sing in key, but obviously choose not to in this ad. I'm sure it's to add to its "charm".

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
gently caress all that, the stupid Cortana Windows phone commercials on Hulu (and elsewhere, I'm sure) are somehow the most annoying and infuriatingly smug things I've heard in a long time.

No one cares, Cortana. Shut up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That drat Satyr posted:

gently caress all that, the stupid Cortana Windows phone commercials on Hulu (and elsewhere, I'm sure) are somehow the most annoying and infuriatingly smug things I've heard in a long time.

No one cares, Cortana. Shut up.

I don't even like Apple or have an IPhone, but the potshots at Siri are insufferable.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I don't even like Apple or have an IPhone, but the potshots at Siri are insufferable.

Exactly. If your entire advertising strategy is built around tearing down your competitor and not the merits of your service, that kind of says a lot about how good that service is.

At least the Google phone commercials aren't /that/ awful, in comparison.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of iPhone commercials, Sprint has a new horrible one for their iPhone 6 only plan. It involves lots of screaming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That drat Satyr posted:

Exactly. If your entire advertising strategy is built around tearing down your competitor and not the merits of your service, that kind of says a lot about how good that service is.

Have we really forgotten the Mac / PC ad campaign already? Those certainly never stopped people riding Apple's dick.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Not exactly an ad I hate, but the new Xfinity commercial with people talking gibberish always makes me think it's a commercial for the Sims.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of iPhone commercials, Sprint has a new horrible one for their iPhone 6 only plan. It involves lots of screaming.

At least Judy Greer is getting paid. That almost makes it work it.

Subway's workout commercial sucks but it's almost perfect background noise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Have we really forgotten the Mac / PC ad campaign already? Those certainly never stopped people riding Apple's dick.

People generally liked PC better in those.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5od5-oUxqIA

:fuckoff:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The worst phone ad I've seen is that stupid "woman shrieking at spider picture" one for Sprint or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

Mac vs PC was 2006-2009 and at that time they were just transitioning off of the time when Macs were incredibly overpriced for the hardware you got (because it was non-standardized).

They're both trying to hit the same idea ("Hey try our thing, it'll fix that issue you have with your [current thing]") and both are slightly exaggerated, but the Cortana-Siri ad is literally the real world Siri voice versus an actual voice actor which is disingenuous as all hell.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

Mac vs PC was 2006-2009 and at that time they were just transitioning off of the time when Macs were incredibly overpriced for the hardware you got (because it was non-standardized).

They're both trying to hit the same idea ("Hey try our thing, it'll fix that issue you have with your [current thing]") and both are slightly exaggerated, but the Cortana-Siri ad is literally the real world Siri voice versus an actual voice actor which is disingenuous as all hell.

SORRY I CAN NOT DO THAT.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuuuck those McDonald's commercials about how good the Coke tastes there. I don't have any idea what they're getting at, and it's real insulting to think I'd believe that someone pimping McDonald's and Coke could "go viral."

That drat Satyr posted:

It's a time-tested strategy for the No. 5 or so person in the market to put out ads making GBS threads all over No. 1, so as to make themselves look like No. 2.

I mean, obviously the big question in the smartphone market is iPhone or Windows Phone.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Also Microsoft unironically named their Siri knock off Cortana, more than anything that's the part I cannot believe.

Buy our phone because we have we have a Halo Titty girl that you can own and is built to serve you. Ugh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

It's a time-tested strategy for the No. 5 or so person in the market to put out ads making GBS threads all over No. 1, so as to make themselves look like No. 2.

Windows Phones don't need commercials to look like No. 2. :rimshot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

Also Microsoft unironically named their Siri knock off Cortana, more than anything that's the part I cannot believe.

Buy our phone because we have we have a Halo Titty girl that you can own and is built to serve you. Ugh.

They also have her voice actress do the commercials but not the actual phone version.

Unrelated but annoying NRA ads have started airing in my area. Like one that talks about how horrible Michael Bloomberg is, except I live in Illinois, you know, nowhere near anything he could influence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They also have her voice actress do the commercials but not the actual phone version.

Unrelated but annoying NRA ads have started airing in my area. Like one that talks about how horrible Michael Bloomberg is, except I live in Illinois, you know, nowhere near anything he could influence.

Is he even running for office anywhere? He's not the mayor of New York City anymore.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeafyOrb posted:

I think it makes so much sense that I can't believe it took them this long to do it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

I wondered about that, I thought that sounded way more natural than any speech engine I've heard. Good to have it confirmed that the one thing Windows Phone was advertising that actually seemed way beyond the competition was actually faked.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

raditts posted:

Is he even running for office anywhere? He's not the mayor of New York City anymore.

Michael Bloomberg is extremely wealthy and very opinionated. He can influence anyplace he pleases.

Right now he is pouring pouring lots of money into the politics in Illinois and Washington - seems reasonable to talk about him in those areas.

Usa Today posted:

Bloomberg group launches midterm campaign for gun control

WASHINGTON — The gun-control group started this year by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg is making its first significant political investments of the midterms — announcing endorsements in more than 100 federal and state contests and launching television commercials in two states.
Bloomberg, a billionaire who has made gun control one of his top causes, has pledged to spend $50 million this year to build a grass-roots network aimed at combating the National Rifle Association's influence in Washington and state capitols around the country.
"He doesn't live here. He doesn't vote here, but he's spending over $1 million to determine what Washington laws are going to be," Gottlieb said. "He's trying to buy his agenda, and a lot of Washington voters are concerned."

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I hate this new Infiniti commercial that seems to air all the time. Its some dude driving his car thinking about everything in the world except for the fact that he is driving a 2 ton vehicle at a high rate of speed. Then the car fixes his fuckups for him and he breathes a sigh of relief. The tagline bugs the poo poo out of me
"Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive."
Motherfucker you are supposed to watch the loving road when you drive. Thats part of driving your car.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Knormal posted:

I wondered about that, I thought that sounded way more natural than any speech engine I've heard. Good to have it confirmed that the one thing Windows Phone was advertising that actually seemed way beyond the competition was actually faked.

If I remember correctly they used the actual voice on the very first commercial and it sounded just as awkward and robotic as Siri.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Not only that, but Siri's voice has been upgraded since iOS 7 and sounds a little more natural and less robotic than the older Siri voice (iOS 5 & 6) the commercials love to use use like it's still a modern thing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Has eBay FOR THE WIN come up yet because murder me

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Cip/nfl-shop-vikings-bengals-eagles-steelers-cowboys-family

Crossposting from TFF, but this lady is an awful person.

I feel like I'm watching something described as an "Abomination" described in the old testament while viewing it. It's disgusting.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only ad with Siri playing I honestly like is one about trading in your old iphone for the new model, and the old phone with Siri's voice asking the driver where they are going and playing music for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Cip/nfl-shop-vikings-bengals-eagles-steelers-cowboys-family

Crossposting from TFF, but this lady is an awful person.

I feel like I'm watching something described as an "Abomination" described in the old testament while viewing it. It's disgusting.

What, like anal sex?