Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The one thing I remember liking from Dust Breeding was the detail about the crashed Dalek ship not having really anything to with the plot. Unlike say Sword of Orion where the Cyberman head is a blatant note that the Cybermen show up later.

Bicyclops posted:

he seemed like he was a bored child who didn't understand why she would want to go on a date with a boy instead of have a wacky fun adventure.

With a boy other than him, the nerve! I really wish the Doctor this season was written less like a spoiled child towards his companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think it's very fitting for the doctor to wonder why you'd want to go on a boring old date rather then adventures in time. Now the execution could have been a little better but ill take it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potsticker posted:

With a boy other than him, the nerve! I really wish the Doctor this season was written less like a spoiled child towards his companion.

Why, he's basically Gregory House but played by a Brit with a British accent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I think it's very fitting for the doctor to wonder why you'd want to go on a boring old date rather then adventures in time. Now the execution could have been a little better but ill take it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was framed that way and not out of romantic jealousy. And especially not after how he acted similarly in Robot of Sherwood and Listen. The scene with Clara literally mothering the frightened child Doctor was additionally eye rolling.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, I agree. I think it was perfect until that last line "Beat that for a date!" which kind of implies that's what his adventure in time was. But him being the nagging, excited little bro who's like "No, don't go out with your boyfriend, instead play pirates with me in my time funhouse!" is perfect.

edit: speaking of Time Heist in particular, not the season at large

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

1) Ms Delphox is a stock Moffat character that has worn out its welcome. He needs to expand his understanding of how women in authority look, sound and act.

Was she Missy? Older Moffat Women are so interchangeable that I can only tell them apart by hair, and the hair looked similar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Was she Missy? Older Moffat Women are so interchangeable that I can only tell them apart by hair, and the hair looked similar.

They're portrayed by different performers, both of whom appear to have talent, but yeah, you've hit on what I mean. They seem to be written very similarly in terms of their mannerisms.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Delphox was cliche bureaucracy while Missy is cliche simmering insanity. I think it's more the makeup than anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Christ.

She's going to be Missy.

I BET you.

Or at least some version/iteration/clone of her will.

If she isn't then...gently caress I don't KNOW. But the reason I think she might be?

She has the Doctor's Number. The one that is given to Clara.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm actually quite hopeful for the Missy storyline, forcing The Doctor to meet up with people who died (or at least, would have died) due to him seems pretty interesting. It hasn't been very well-handled so far though.

Come to think of it in Time Heist we had two people who we thought were disintegrated but who actually teleported, that seems like another hint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm actually quite hopeful for the Missy storyline, forcing The Doctor to meet up with people who died (or at least, would have died) due to him seems pretty interesting. It hasn't been very well-handled so far though.

Come to think of it in Time Heist we had two people who we thought were disintegrated but who actually teleported, that seems like another hint.

I think Missy's the Rani, or at least a Time Lord. Iirc, didn't the Dalek antibody that snagged the soldier have a red lens instead of blue? Theoretically, a fully-functional "modern" TARDIS could look like whatever it wanted and contain just about anything within. Just hiding her TARDIS within his to tag along wherever the Doctor goes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Speaking of McCoy audio adventures, I picked up The Fearmonger on the thread's recommendation the other day. I'd forgotten how much fun Seven and Ace are, even when dealing with a British version of Morton Downey Jr. Plus there's a line how the Doctor worked with UNIT "back in the 70s." :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it's remarkable just how good it is considering it's such an early Big Finish, but it really does feel like a natural extension of their televised adventures.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"Human Nature"
Series 3, Episode 8

If having The Doctor turn into a human meant all we got was The Doctor who now was a human, it would make the episode feel like a cheat, wherein RTD wanted a way for The Doctor to escape certain harm by regenerating without losing David Tennant in the process.

presented without comment, except that i read that thread with rapt attention

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DoctorWhat posted:

presented without comment, except that i read that thread with rapt attention

"The Time Traveller's Wife"

he's loving with us, he's got to be

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Autonomous Monster posted:

"The Time Traveller's Wife"

he's loving with us, he's got to be

man if this turns out to have been a toblerone triangular-esque long con, it'd be rad as hell

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

M_Gargantua posted:

Also at one point he apparently turned down a date in favour of inventing a new type of screwdriver, which really says it all about his priorities.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also at one point he apparently turned down a date in favour of inventing a new type of screwdriver, which really says it all about his priorities.

Except the Doctor's wording implies it was a date in his eyes, so he clearly has a competitive streak with Danny, which is actually the exact wording the script uses.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I agree. I think it was perfect until that last line "Beat that for a date!" which kind of implies that's what his adventure in time was. But him being the nagging, excited little bro who's like "No, don't go out with your boyfriend, instead play pirates with me in my time funhouse!" is perfect.

Or if you read it as being an exasperated dad who doesn't understand why his daughter wants to go out and spend time with :siren:BOYS:siren: rather than hanging with him, and is desperately trying to be cool to compensate.

But the writing does really do a bad job of selling that reading, which is a pity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whybird posted:

Or if you read it as being an exasperated dad who doesn't understand why his daughter wants to go out and spend time with :siren:BOYS:siren: rather than hanging with him, and is desperately trying to be cool to compensate.

But the writing does really do a bad job of selling that reading, which is a pity.

Because it's the exact opposite of how you should be reading it. They made a big deal in Deep Breath about how the Doctor looked young, but he was really this nigh ancient creature and finally he looks it. That's true, but the opposite is also true - Twelve is an old(er) man, but he's also a child. He's only existed for a few weeks/months, and the first person he saw in this form -Clara - is his mother figure.

Capaldi's not acting like a dad that doesn't understand his daughter, he's acting like a child that wants his mom all to himself but doesn't really value her when he has her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

Because it's the exact opposite of how you should be reading it. They made a big deal in Deep Breath about how the Doctor looked young, but he was really this nigh ancient creature and finally he looks it. That's true, but the opposite is also true - Twelve is an old(er) man, but he's also a child. He's only existed for a few weeks/months, and the first person he saw in this form -Clara - is his mother figure.

Capaldi's not acting like a dad that doesn't understand his daughter, he's acting like a child that wants his mom all to himself but doesn't really value her when he has her.

Nope, he's acting like a child who calls the girl he fancies mean names.

If it wasn't a date he would've said "How can a date beat that" but he doesn't, he says "Beat that for a date". He clearly views what he's doing with Clara as dating, he says so himself in the dialogue and the script gives Capaldi the direction to act jealous and competitive when he delivers the line.

Twelve is in love with Clara.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you may be reading too much into a throwaway joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

Nah actually he isn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Nah actually he isn't.

"I'm not your boyfriend Clara."

A better way to look at him is the fact that he really has reset to One. The best way to describe him in the relationship is a stern Grandfather. Would you want your eccentric old grandad to meet the guy you're dating? Poking fun at all those luxuries like the high-heels and extra mirrors. Why, in his millennium...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't know if Twelve is poking fun at high heels so much as he literally does not understand them, and is baffled as to why Clara has special shoes to make her taller. He's a very abstract man.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is this the first time that a companion has started dating someone while they’re still travelling with the Doctor?

I’m not counting Amy/Rory because when she actually left with the Doctor, they were already engaged.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A better way to look at him is the fact that he really has reset to One. The best way to describe him in the relationship is a stern Grandfather. Would you want your eccentric old grandad to meet the guy you're dating? Poking fun at all those luxuries like the high-heels and extra mirrors. Why, in his millennium...

And that means next season we'll get "pyromaniac anarchist prankster"! :neckbeard:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think you may be reading too much into a throwaway joke.
Welcome to the Doctor Who thread!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Plus there's a line how the Doctor worked with UNIT "back in the 70s." :v:

But early or late 70's? This is important!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CobiWann posted:

Is this the first time that a companion has started dating someone while they’re still travelling with the Doctor?

I’m not counting Amy/Rory because when she actually left with the Doctor, they were already engaged.

That probably means hes going to get kidnapped, killed, or turns out to be the next Face of Boe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I think that's taking it a little far. I do think they were trying to move away from the romance side of him with "I'm not your boyfriend, Clara" and allowed it to die a slow death over the Robin Hood episode. The joke at the end of Time Heist is more a problem with unfortunate wording. I have hope that next episode will be about Clara drawing some boundaries and they'll make it clearer that he wants her around because he's going through an identity crisis and needs somebody to hang out with for his adventures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's remarkable just how good it is considering it's such an early Big Finish, but it really does feel like a natural extension of their televised adventures.

It's too bad that, aside from "The Fires of Vulcan" and "Collditz" (off the top of my head), none of Seven's audio stories out of the first fifty are entirely up to snuff. I don't think they achieve the same degree of consistency as, say, Six's adventures, until Hex arrives in "The Harvest".

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yeah, they bounce around between Seven and Mel doing a drama The Fires of Vulcan, a comedy Bang-Bang-A-Boom!, and a story with a unique plotting style and really uncomfortable immigrant overtones Flip Flop.

Then there’s Seven/Ace picking up from the end of the show (The Fearmonger, The Genocide Machine, Dust Breeding, Colditz, The Rapture). And The Rapture is SO bad, that the big plot point of Ace having an older brother is NEVER brought up again in continuity.

And then there’s the two “sideways” stories in The Shadow of the Scourge/The Dark Flame.

It isn’t until Hex shows up that the stories focus solely on Seven/Ace/Hex, and their chemistry is SO good, and Hex fills the sibling spot SO well.

I still enjoy McCoy with Big Finish, it just took a lot longer for him to find his footing. Plus, they had to have Ace “grow up” into Dorothy so in-her-40’s Sophie Aldred wasn’t still playing a teenager.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I still enjoy McCoy with Big Finish, it just took a lot longer for him to find his footing. Plus, they had to have Ace “grow up” into Dorothy so in-her-40’s Sophie Aldred wasn’t still playing a teenager.

Kudos to her for playing a teenager so well, though. Hearing her is incredible, it's like they put her into a time capsule and pulled her out when they started doing Big Finish.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

Kudos to her for playing a teenager so well, though. Hearing her is incredible, it's like they put her into a time capsule and pulled her out when they started doing Big Finish.

As I understand it, she's an established voice actress and loves doing 'characters' - I guess her far younger self counts as one of them. You are right though, she is very good at what she does.

FWIW, though, I never got the impression she's that much older in the audios. Mid-twenties, maybe. Especially considering Hex's relationship with her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, they bounce around between Seven and Mel doing a drama The Fires of Vulcan, a comedy Bang-Bang-A-Boom!, and a story with a unique plotting style and really uncomfortable immigrant overtones Flip Flop.

"Bang-Bang-A-Boom!" and "Flip-Flop" would have been very good if the former had been able to decide what it was actually trying to parody, and the latter had cut out a lot of the subtext surrounding the Poor, Blind Slithergees.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, I still get a chuckle out of the Eurovision jokes and the gag about the doctor swooning over the captain.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

• And lastly, I'm a gay dude but Coleman's fashion this episode was eye catching (though I'm one of those douchebags who doesn't like women in heels because double-standards rant here.)

Eye candy for straight guys that also works on gays, that's pretty impressive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Eye candy for straight guys that also works on gays, that's pretty impressive.

She's no Danny Pink, obviously. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

She's no Hex, obviously. :allears:

• Locked thread