Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sizone posted:

I would like a turn based rpg in any setting other than fantasy, please.

Not really an rpg; Hunters 2 is the precursor to Warhammer Quest by Rodeo Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

If anyone is playing the battle cats my refer code is
8pk0y
Post your code too

That and that flesh and blood Orc game has some goooooood English in there holy poo poo

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 23, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, I know it's back but I just cant get back into playing Battle Cats. Once was enough, thanks Ponos.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
One of the first iPad games I played, and one of my favorites since then, Osmos is on sale for $.99, from $4.99 regular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tactics RPG people, the guys that made Kingturn just released Tactics Maiden, and it's good! It's Kingturn mechanics but the game is way more polished. It's $4.99 but you can play the first 5 or so missions for free.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to play battle Carta again but they need to add a fast forward button. The early game is so slow!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yes, Battle Cats again! Brilliant. Gross Cat is still about, there'd better be Whale Cat again, he was the best.

And oh poo poo, there's a capsule machine thingy in Battle Cats 2. The usual free machine, money machine sort of set up by the looks of things. Seems a bit more "give me your money" than the original was. Hopefully it'll still give out Cat Food every so often.

fake edit: oh, event stages as well. Wonder how those will work

e2: Well, treasure grinding time again

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Are the treasures drops in The Battle Cats just random?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

noirstronaut posted:

What are some nicely designed games to be played with friends around the globe? I have a friend in Seattle and a friend in Japan. I want to physically own them both in separate games.

Word Carnivale

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has anyone with a 6+ ran into any games that just wont work with it. I have a few:

David loads to a black screen then crashes back to home screen
KOTOR has a tiny square in the corner of the screen that none of the touches line up with the menus so it is unplayable.
Traps n' Gemstones looks fine, but my touches dont line up with controls, I can make the left and right work by pressing under the button but up and down do not work

These are the only ones I have found so far but Im guessing there will be more. If someone does have a + and any of these games and you test them out just to see if it is only a local problem with my device? Thanks

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

VideoGameVet posted:

Word Carnivale

I really hope this is a joke or I will literally quit life altogether

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Been playing a lot of Zez. Twitch based match 3. Lots of fun. Need to buy the coin doubler though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

loudog999 posted:

Has anyone with a 6+ ran into any games that just wont work with it. I have a few:
KOTOR has a tiny square in the corner of the screen that none of the touches line up with the menus so it is unplayable.

Worst phone ever. Return it and demand an apology for wasting your time with a KOTOR-less iPhone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

It's from VideoGameVet. Time for you to quit life, I guess.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Worst phone ever. Return it and demand an apology for wasting your time with a KOTOR-less iPhone.

No, I'm not complaining. The games that do work feel so comfortable that I am happy trading off, just wondering if it's my phone, an ios8 thing, or just a matter of waiting for an update. At this point they would need to pry my + from my cold dead fingers

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

loudog999 posted:

No, I'm not complaining. The games that do work feel so comfortable that I am happy trading off, just wondering if it's my phone, an ios8 thing, or just a matter of waiting for an update. At this point they would need to pry my + from my cold dead fingers

I have a regular 6 and I've had a bunch of crashing issues (game starts up, crashes a few seconds after starting) with games I have been trying to play, but this is my first smartphone so I don't know if I am just stupid with it. I also had a menu alignment problem in one game but I can't remember what one

MotU fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 24, 2014

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

MotU posted:

I have a regular 6 and I've had a bunch of crashing issues (game starts up, crashes a few seconds after starting) with games I have been trying to play, but this is my first smartphone so I don't know if I am just stupid with it.

Ok thanks, I guess it's just not my gently caress up. And now the wait to get everything updated.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I still have an iPhone 5, but the update to iOS 8 broke some games for me, like Monster Legends, a stupid farmville+Pokemon FTP I play.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Is Oceanhorn any good?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sizone posted:

Is Oceanhorn any good?

It's Zelda without the charm.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Soylentbits posted:

Any thoughts on the final fantasy app pack? Worth it?

I found all the Final Fantasy iOS versions to be much, much more enjoyable on the iPhone over the iPad - it seems like they were really designed with a smaller screen in mind (especially the DS ports) and look stunning on the phone but not on the tablet.

Also the only really good games are III-VI so you could pick them up anyway for ~$60 (or half that at Christmas). I'm also bugged they didn't include tactics. There's really no variable cost in the app business so what's the point of being stingy? I don't get it.

But if you plan to play The After Years there is a bundle with that and FFIV for ~$22 that will tide you over til the winter sale starts.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bad day posted:

I found all the Final Fantasy iOS versions to be much, much more enjoyable on the iPhone over the iPad - it seems like they were really designed with a smaller screen in mind (especially the DS ports) and look stunning on the phone but not on the tablet.

Also the only really good games are III-VI so you could pick them up anyway for ~$60 (or half that at Christmas). I'm also bugged they didn't include tactics. There's really no variable cost in the app business so what's the point of being stingy? I don't get it.

But if you plan to play The After Years there is a bundle with that and FFIV for ~$22 that will tide you over til the winter sale starts.
I already had all the FF games in the bundle except for The After Years, so it came to $2 for me. Not bad!

The weird thing about these app bundles though, is that to complete the bundle, it relies on how much you original paid for the ones you own. If you got some for free, it doesn't factor into the "complete the bundle" price.

Even more annoyingly, if you complete a bundle for "free" (if you don't own a couple games in the bundle, but paid more than the bundle for the other games included), it counts all the games in the bundle as being repurchased to your account. What happens then is it recalculates the value of these games in relation to other bundles. Essentially, I was going to complete a Crescent Moon Games bundle for like, $2, but I saw that one of their other bundles was "free" so I picked that up. When I went back to buy the $2 bundle, it raised in price to $5.50.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Turbo Dismount comes out tonight. It's the sequel to the fantastic Stair Dismount (probably the only 3rd party app that's constantly been on my iPhone since the 3GS days).

This is the end-all-be-all of goofy physics games and the $6 full unlock is probably the best value in iOS gaming. It's free to try. Not trying to oversell it, but it's honestly my most anticipated game of 2014 and so far it's exceeded my expectations.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 24, 2014

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm guessing you never played the game. It's better than RUZZLE.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm guessing you never played the game. It's better than RUZZLE.

It's just incredibly ugly.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

It's just incredibly ugly.

Yeah, it was supposed to be "old time carnival look" and I don't think that worked.

If we rebooted it, we'd go with a flattened style. We're doing a reboot of a 2009 game that recently got totally cloned, but cloned badly (a clone of a clone) and went with a flattened look.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
HUGE week this week and I'm still playing goblin sword. gently caress!

http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/24/new-iphone-games-september-25/

This game looks AWESOME:

http://youtu.be/JKi0fFtPWEI

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Looks like Wipeout meets Pilot Wings 64 meets Descent.

Also :ughh: at the gratuitous rear end shot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There is honestly not much there that interests me at all. Might try out Smarter Than You because it's free and the trailer indicated that there might be more to it but other than that it all looks pretty generic.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
How did Motorsport Manager turn out?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Doc Block posted:

Looks like Wipeout meets Pilot Wings 64 meets Descent.

Also :ughh: at the gratuitous rear end shot.

Haha, I know, right?!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

How did Motorsport Manager turn out?

Really good but fairly repetitive.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

VelociBacon posted:

Really good but fairly repetitive.

Yeah I got tired of it before reaching the top tier.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
pretty satisfying destroying everyone at top tier for a season or so

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I was/am super excited about Smarter Than You. However, upon playing it, I see that it is what it advertised itself to be, but either it is JUST that, or I am missing something.

The talking/communication part is not really part of the game at all. It's just chatter. Really all it comes down to is guessing and hoping when you take your turn. Right?

Someone does Rock, I do Scissors. Or Paper. Or Rock... and hope for the best...

That's all there is to it, yes?

LucaRedwood
Jul 29, 2012
It definitely takes some learning before you get good. There are a couple of obvious traps people fall into that you can exploit, like If two numbers are the same, they'll never choose the unique one because its too obvious.

Also, if you start your name with SA you'll unlock a special manbaby flair (might need a restart)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh god Star Wars Commander has sucked me in hard. I'm assuming Goon Squad is the outfit to join in game? I'm around half way through the campaign, I think. Loving crushing Rebel scum.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

Oh god Star Wars Commander has sucked me in hard. I'm assuming Goon Squad is the outfit to join in game? I'm around half way through the campaign, I think. Loving crushing Rebel scum.
Yup, we even have a thread for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just got an ipad...I'm guessing the OP isn't really completely up to date with the niftiest games, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

Just got an ipad...I'm guessing the OP isn't really completely up to date with the niftiest games, any suggestions?

The OP is only like a month old but I'm just gonna say FTL anyways because it can't be posted enough that people should get FTL.