Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm loving terrible with money and even I won't consider the Neo Zeong or Perfect Grades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Someday you are going to wake up and realize you've wasted thousands of dollars on a pile of bona fide pussy repellent which has no resale value, holds no aesthetic interest for 99% of the population, and has no use beyond cluttering up your life and serving as a tangible reminder of your poor impulse control.

Or you could exercise some restraint and not buy a bunch of $300 model kits one after another, your choice.

hobbies are important, but only for people who are already well adjusted. When people obsess over something and become the "insert hobby" guy, that's how bronies are made. They were broken before MLP. The only way its not a terrible waste of money is if you only buy rare things and then never build them. You can recoup that later

Im that gundam guy :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ActionZero posted:

PGs generally aren't very good! Buy several MGs instead!

Seriously, having built three, they aren't that great. Get literally anything else instead, I just got mine because they were like 80 bucks and I'd hate to pay more for them.

That said though, I do still love the overengineered insanity of the most recent PGs, but thankfully I'm not into those suits enough to get one. (The looming threat of a PG Unicorn though...)

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I want to celebrate moving properly by adding some new plastic stuff to my place. Torn between Victory ver. Ka and Strike ver. RM. Dalong doesn't seem to indicate anything particularly bad about either, does the Victory frame stay stable even with the transformation gimmicks? I love to play the suit in EXVS so I'll probably pose it with the arms launching away and the rifle attached to a leg hardpoint. Alternatively I'll be happy just posing the Strike with its knives.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

Just post a video of you burning money while shining finger blares in the background.

I'm assuming you are joking about not being able to afford this, in the retro games thread newer people would go hog wild then end up with a for sale thread 4 months later cause they can't afford rent. At least in the retro thread you could resell it, but if this is at all straining your finances stop now.

Space is def another concern, weren't you trying to find space for a neo zeong?

Psst I'm not buying it because I can't afford it right now. The Zeong was my big splurge purchase for the next while. I've got RG Exia and Build Burning coming next month and I'll probably order MG Turn A after that but I'm definitely slowing down because I'm aware how much I'm spending on plastic robots.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I want to celebrate moving properly by adding some new plastic stuff to my place. Torn between Victory ver. Ka and Strike ver. RM. Dalong doesn't seem to indicate anything particularly bad about either, does the Victory frame stay stable even with the transformation gimmicks? I love to play the suit in EXVS so I'll probably pose it with the arms launching away and the rifle attached to a leg hardpoint. Alternatively I'll be happy just posing the Strike with its knives.

From everything I have heard the MG Victory is prone to explode. MG Remastered Strike is better then the MG Aile Strike; and that is a very solid model already, maybe the build strike?

(also disregarding that some people are looking at models as toys, because they are inherently fragile)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Victory vKa is like, the epitome of instability. Not only is it a vKa, not only is it a transforming MS, but it's also a late UC MG so that means very little polycaps to hold the thing together.

More importantly for you, I don't think the MG will let you launch off the arms like that. The core fighter connects into the top flyer, which connects onto the bottom flyer. You could glue it I guess?

MG Strike vRM is a solid kit, but the knives aren't the most detailed thing.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BlitzBlast posted:

More importantly for you, I don't think the MG will let you launch off the arms like that. The core fighter connects into the top flyer, which connects onto the bottom flyer. You could glue it I guess?

Shiiiiiiit. I was hoping I could do stuff like in this video, oh well. I finished the Crossbone X1 vKa a couple of weeks ago and it's surprisingly stable/solid with the Core Booster so I had some higher hopes for the Victory. Going with the Strike.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Someday you are going to wake up and realize you've wasted thousands of dollars on a pile of bona fide pussy repellent which has no resale value, holds no aesthetic interest for 99% of the population, and has no use beyond cluttering up your life and serving as a tangible reminder of your poor impulse control.

Or you could exercise some restraint and not buy a bunch of $300 model kits one after another, your choice.

I'm sensing some self-loathing in this post

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I'm sensing some self-loathing in this post

Man, if anyone in this thread has the right to say anything, he does. The photos of his collection are astounding.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also MG Tallgeese III as a webshop exclusive.

Man, where were all these announcements 1-2 months ago?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

About half a year too late Bandai.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, I guess I should be glad I didn't go for the knockoff. God drat you Bandai. :negative:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Am actually kind of mad about this. TG III is the only one I was really interested in, and now I'll be obliged to pay a 40% premium if I want one which isn't going to happen because gently caress that noise.

This isn't some obscure variant or color variation: it should have been a regular release. But maybe that's what happens when the botleggers beat you to the market. Either way it stinks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

This isn't some obscure variant or color variation: it should have been a regular release. But maybe that's what happens when the bootleggers beat you to the market. Either way it stinks.

Bootleggers didn't beat Bandai to the punch with TGII and that still got the web treatment.

Either way, i'm not mad. Dragon Momoko does good work and I have zero regrets buying their TGIII for a price that's actually fair.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a huge goddamn sucker for the tallgeese III so for the first time in my life I'll buy a webshop exclusive.

The Crossbone x2 couldn't break me, but this did.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Bootleggers didn't beat Bandai to the punch with TGII and that still got the web treatment.

I can understand that one being exclusive but not this (P.S. the typo was intentional.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just started watching Victory Gundam and got the temptation for a Victory ver. ka, but then I watched rrobbert's review on youtube and well, I think I'm gonna pass. The Victory is kind of a plain looking Gundam, too.

I've been wanting to get the F91 for a while, too...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question: MG Astray: Red frame or blue?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Literally The Worst posted:

Red Frame comes with chromed katanas. Feed your inner weeb, Dickeye. You know you want to.

There's a new Blue Frame variant coming out, though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Get the Sengoku Astray because katanas and huge dumb shoulder hands

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been wanting to get the F91 for a while, too...

Don't. It's a collection of potential stress fractures dressed up to look like a robot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Late UC MGs are by and large a mess. The fact they're all technically non-scale doesn't really help!

EDIT: A visual example:

F91 and Victory should be the same height. And Victory itself is a bit taller then it should be thanks to Katoki having to change things up to even get the transformation to work.

Incidentally, the situation's reversed with the HGs. HG V is pretty much hilariously awful, I have no idea how they messed it up that bad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 23, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The ultra-hosed proportions of both F91s continue to baffle me. Who in blazes thought that was a good look worthy of repeating? As it is, you still can't buy a decent model of the thing without shelling out big resin еее.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 23, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Dj Meow Mix posted:

My first kit was the MG V-Dash and I still haven't finished the thing, it's hugely unstable (and I managed to snap part of the torso and haven't got around to fixing it yet).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

Get the Sengoku Astray because katanas and huge dumb shoulder hands

This kit is next on my build list, and I really can't wait to start building it. I love this goofy suit.

Of course, going to paint it with a metallic red finish, because Nils loves the candy coat for whatever reason.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Monaghan posted:

This kit is next on my build list, and I really can't wait to start building it. I love this goofy suit.

Of course, going to paint it with a metallic red finish, because Nils loves the candy coat for whatever reason.

My favorite thing about the sengoku astray is how they got so into designing the thing to be ridiculous as possible that they seemingly forgot it had to actually get animated at some point, which is why it's all metallic and gribley compared to everything else and why it looks so weird in motion (and possibly why it skates everywhere)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh huh, I totally forgot Bandai had an expo this time of year. Jesus is there anything else they could announce?

I hope they go completely insane and finish the year with MG Bearguy III.

Tune in this weekend I guess!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh huh, I totally forgot Bandai had an expo this time of year. Jesus is there anything else they could announce?

I hope they go completely insane and finish the year with MGPG Bearguy III.

Fixed for true insanity. :getin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

More seriously we'll probably see the next lineup of HGs. With Unicorn done and dusted, it'll be interesting to see what direction they'll go with HGUC. Will they focus entirely on Build Fighters Try and Reconguista? Will they really knuckle down with All Gundam? Or will they just continue digging up MSVs like with the ZII?

I'm still waiting on those V2 variants Bandai!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
tbh the most I spent on a single thing is 90 and I really doubt I'd ever spend more than that unless it was a really rare garage kit that I wanted. Showing restraint is easy when your interest is largely lady robots and poo poo from your childhood. There's like almost nothing there in the market of those that's good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Literally The Worst posted:

Nthing the Sengoku. It's a lot of fun to build and is impressively ridiculous. :allears:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I hope they go completely insane and finish the year with MG Bearguy III.

It's not insanity if people would buy it. I stocked up on the hg one, and I'd easily buy a MG and I know I'm not alone. The world needs more cutesy bears in bows with beam sabers and gatling guns.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The most expensive thing I'll even consider is the Sazabi ver Ka and I seriously need to set up a blocker on the amazon page for it until I finish my other kits.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mordja posted:

Nthing the Sengoku. It's a lot of fun to build and is impressively ridiculous. :allears:

Also the Sengoku has the extra runners to convert it to the standard Red Frame if you want.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

mr. stefan posted:

Also the Sengoku has the extra runners to convert it to the standard Red Frame if you want.
So, nobody. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finished my attempt to rehabilitate the AGE-1 Spallow

It's quite the classy ninja!

The articulation is surprisingly good (it's amazing how much better it looks without that awful spoiler)

So you can get it into all sorts of fun poses

I'm really impressed by the flexibility, it's really stable even in spite of the really narrow feet (this is all supported by the legs)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The scarf is a great touch.

Also proper Bearguy-San F(amily) scans.

:swoon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished my attempt to rehabilitate the AGE-1 Spallow

It's quite the classy ninja!

The articulation is surprisingly good (it's amazing how much better it looks without that awful spoiler)

So you can get it into all sorts of fun poses

I'm really impressed by the flexibility, it's really stable even in spite of the really narrow feet (this is all supported by the legs)

Looks good, but paint in more numerous, thinner coats. That paint looks really thick and you can see a lot of brush lines in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

The scarf is a great touch.

Also proper Bearguy-San F(amily) scans.

No joke I cannot take how adorable that goddamn Baby Beargguy is.

• Locked thread