Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Even if you're good enough the healing really helps for the quests since you can't heal between songs without using items.

Assuming you're decent at the game, you shouldn't really need healing til Ultimate songs start showing up (around late-50s).

Of course, eventually you run into something like Ultimate Final Battle (FFX) and you're scrambling to stay alive.

Magic characters also don't really start coming into their own until about then, since they get more effective the more notes they're hitting, which translates into more abilities triggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is the proficard main theme playable in curtain call

because that song fuckin rules

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Curtain Call really shows that, while Final Fantasy XIV ARR is the superior game, Final Fantasy XI has the best music.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Theatrhythm DLC store thinks I don't have a router set up, even though the rest of the apps on my 3DS connect just fine :( Error code 009-2920.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

I still don't entirely "get" the RPG mechanics in Curtain Call. Is damage done by regularly hitting notes based on a particular stat like Strength or Magic? Or do those stats only come into play for certain skills?

I've seen some people talk about mixing up the types in their parties, like having some strength and some magic characters on hand. Is this better than just having a full party of Magic characters boosted by Mana's Paeon and what-not?

From what I can tell, normal damage is only dealt when a monster recovers from its "stagger" animation; some return to damageable state super-fast, others (like loving diamond weapon :argh:) take forever to return to neutral. This "normal" damage is, I'm relatively certain, always physical, which means that a strong fighter is often better than a magic user.

HOWEVER, skills and critical triggers bypass the stagger thing and deal immediate damage, so rapid-firing high-level skills is really, really good. The best team I've found for this so far is Warrior of light > Rydia > Lightning > Zack; give WoL and Lightning "added cut", fill the rest of WoL and Zack's abilities out with focus (and zack's boss skill), and throw in magics for Ligntning and Rydia. This basically makes it so that once abilities start poppin' they'll never stop, so Rydia will ONLY deal damage with her strong magic, and the others will attack with physical things. You can deal near-constant damage, and with a couple Prestiges and visits to the Crystarium, you'll maximize things even further.

You can sub people out, like Rydia for Terra, but the general gist is that you want constant abilities, and mixing it up with some magic users lets you take greater advantage of touch and slide triggers, whereas a team of only physical fighters will be focus-ing and not much else. Also, added cut is op as hell. If you need healing, put in Aerith or something, Great Gospel is p good.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 26, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Added Cut better than the big boss-hit abilities? My comparison is Cloud, who has both AC and Omnislash along with the three Focuses.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy, or does your party leader's luck stat have an influence on how often your song gets picked in versus mode? I was playing with Yuffie as my party leader, and I seemed to get it four times out of five. It could just be coincidence, but her naturally high luck set me to wondering.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Confirmation bias.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Added Cut better than the big boss-hit abilities? My comparison is Cloud, who has both AC and Omnislash along with the three Focuses.

If you don't have any, or only one, I'd say added cut; my personal ideal though would be level 2 and 3 focus, added, and Omni, unless the rest of your party didn't have enough reactive abilities going on to maintain the chain. You'll often end up with the last enemy in a song running away before you even execute all the abilities left in your queue (on some/most expert scores and nearly all ultimates), so if there's enough going on already, axe the low-damage focus.

Also I was a little curious and made a party of Warrior of Light > Cloud > Auron > Lightning, who all have added cut - It doesn't count itself, unfortunately, so I'd limit it to 2 per party. Still really freaking good though.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 26, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey, which episode was it where the gang read a piece about a roleplay character who had a ridiculous name who teamed up with a guy named Byron? I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. (There was also something about elven necromancers?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Hey, which episode was it where the gang read a piece about a roleplay character who had a ridiculous name who teamed up with a guy named Byron? I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. (There was also something about elven necromancers?)
I think that's Final Fantasy 4?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation is a loving prick

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Oxxidation is a loving prick

Ate there goon fights goin on? That sounds fun :mrgw:

E; also disregard that thing about only using 2 added cuts, just swapped Zack out for Cloud and killed 26 enemies in Ulti One-winged angel :V

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 26, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Zack disappoints me in Curtain Call because his limit break, Meteor Shots, deals damage to Boss enemies based on Zack's Magic stat.

At level 99, Zack's Magic stat is capped at 95. :v:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I come up against someone using Zack online, I choose The Price of Freedom as my next song in the hope I'll make them cry.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
you don't use magic to squat therefore zack doesn't need it

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
also i haven't unlocked everyone but it sucks that they still didn't add a chocobo or moogle to select for your party

imagine a party of four moogles

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gamwhiz1 posted:

E; also disregard that thing about only using 2 added cuts, just swapped Zack out for Cloud and killed 26 enemies in Ulti One-winged angel :V
So what, Cloud/Warrior/Zack/[Lightning or Rydia or Terra or Shantotto] is just the nut?

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So what, Cloud/Warrior/Zack/[Lightning or Rydia or Terra or Shantotto] is just the nut?

Not really, but they're good ideas. I'm just saying it's good to make a party with many (and varied) reactive abilities, and added cuts/magics are helpful. Auron, Lightning #2, Paine, and maybe others have added cut and other reactives, Vivi's a magic powerhouse too, and there are tons of other interesting characters that you can totally use instead (one of my favs being teams with sacrifice-type strength moves, like Machina w/2 darks and a sacrifice, 520 strength without any Crystarium). Just steer clear of characters more focused towards FMS and treasure-finding and it usually ends up working out.

And even then I've only gotten about 1/3 of everyone up to 99 anyway so there's probably a bunch more super deece dudes out there. Chaos gets 255 in both Attack and Magic naturally, alongside all the -Aga spells, for instance.

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Otcho
May 4, 2012

So do DLC songs pop up in Quest Medley? I'd like to get me some sweet extra tunes but I only play the medley mode...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Otcho posted:

So do DLC songs pop up in Quest Medley? I'd like to get me some sweet extra tunes but I only play the medley mode...

Yeah they do.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

W.T. Fits posted:

Zack disappoints me in Curtain Call because his limit break, Meteor Shots, deals damage to Boss enemies based on Zack's Magic stat.

At level 99, Zack's Magic stat is capped at 95. :v:

Zack does, however, get all three levels of Focus and Added Cut, so he's another one of those physical powerhouses even with his less than ideal limit break. It'd be pretty funny to Crystarium his Magic stat up to crazy heights, though.

In case people are curious about a couple other people who fit that criteria, (spoilers for unlockable characters I guess): Auron and Paine both fit the bill, with the latter also getting a strength-based limit break. Edit: I just reread the page and saw I was beaten on this one. Oh well.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 26, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Otcho posted:

Allarion posted:

Yeah they do.

Yeah it was very surreal running into Crazy Chocobo in the middle of a quest...man that song is rough in higher difficulties.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Allarion posted:

Yeah they do.

Only on quests you get after you bought the DLC, mind, not even ones you have but haven't started yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Not really, but they're good ideas. I'm just saying it's good to make a party with many (and varied) reactive abilities, and added cuts/magics are helpful. Auron, Lightning #2, Paine, and maybe others have added cut and other reactives, Vivi's a magic powerhouse too, and there are tons of other interesting characters that you can totally use instead (one of my favs being teams with sacrifice-type strength moves, like Machina w/2 darks and a sacrifice, 520 strength without any Crystarium). Just steer clear of characters more focused towards FMS and treasure-finding and it usually ends up working out.

And even then I've only gotten about 1/3 of everyone up to 99 anyway so there's probably a bunch more super deece dudes out there. Chaos gets 255 in both Attack and Magic naturally, alongside all the -Aga spells, for instance.

FYI sephiroth gets close to 255 strength and magic, has the Aga spells, AND has added cut. I fed him a bunch of cards to get him to 99 CP to equip firaga, thundaga, added cut, and something like meteor or ultima

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
It's also cool if you set up your party right you can do certain levels without playing them at all

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Himuro posted:

Fun note. Quistis' name is pronounced Kees-tay-ee-ss. Finally, my life long question has been answered.

Quistis's name is pronounce "Keestis," by the by. The kana テ with a smaller イ next to it is (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't taken Japanese since college) a youon (combined sound) that makes a tee sound. Another example of this is Venus, which can be written as ビーナス or ヴィーナス by combining ウ with a dakuten and a smaller イ to make it into a "vee" sound.

Sorry to :goonsay: about that, but it really is pronounced how it's spelled!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Man, EMS are hard to All Critical, I can't even manage it on Basic. Seems like the timing is Judgment-levels of strict.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kanfy posted:

Man, EMS are hard to All Critical, I can't even manage it on Basic. Seems like the timing is Judgment-levels of strict.

I've admittedly only played one EMS thusfar, but I agree, it really felt like the timing for Criticals was way stricter than for EMSes in the original.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Vanderdeath posted:

Quistis's name is pronounce "Keestis," by the by. The kana テ with a smaller イ next to it is (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't taken Japanese since college) a youon (combined sound) that makes a tee sound. Another example of this is Venus, which can be written as ビーナス or ヴィーナス by combining ウ with a dakuten and a smaller イ to make it into a "vee" sound.

Sorry to :goonsay: about that, but it really is pronounced how it's spelled!

Nope, because it's spelled in a way that could easily be interpreted as Kwistis.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nope, because it's spelled in a way that could easily be interpreted as Kwistis.

True enough. I pronounced it as Kwistis back in middle school, too. I also pronounced chocobo as chock-o-bow and Masamune as ma-sa-moon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also what exactly are Critical boosts in Curtain Call? Looking at my Battle Party records it's still at "0 achieved" after 50 hours.

E: Oh wait, it has to do with improving parameters more than usual doesn't it? Should probably get around to that sometime.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

Also what exactly are Critical boosts in Curtain Call? Looking at my Battle Party records it's still at "0 achieved" after 50 hours.

E: Oh wait, it has to do with improving parameters more than usual doesn't it? Should probably get around to that sometime.

Unless I'm mistaken you get one for getting all crit on a song.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

fronz posted:

Unless I'm mistaken you get one for getting all crit on a song.

That'd mean I haven't all critted a single song in 50 hours of gameplay. I know I'm not amazing at this game but give me some credit here you jerk. :colbert:

Nah, I just haven't done any parameter boosting yet since I tend to switch around characters so much so it has to be there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Vanderdeath posted:

True enough. I pronounced it as Kwistis back in middle school, too. I also pronounced chocobo as chock-o-bow and Masamune as ma-sa-moon.

If you're not still saying "masa-moon" you're doing life wrong. Also, who cares about Quistis, she's a creepy stupid character with a stupid name however you pronounce it from the worst Final Fantasy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

bloodychill posted:

If you're not still saying "masa-moon" you're doing life wrong. Also, who cares about Quistis, she's a creepy stupid character with a stupid name however you pronounce it from the worst Final Fantasy.

Excuse me but lasering people to death with eye beams and giant gently caress off warps to another dimension makes her the best character in Final Fantasy history.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bloodychill posted:

If you're not still saying "masa-moon" you're doing life wrong.

Until I learned the "right" way to say it, I always said Mah-sa-Myoon.

bloodychill posted:

Also, who cares about Quistis, she's a creepy stupid character with a stupid name however you pronounce it from the worst Final Fantasy.

FF8 is awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :ssj:

It's no FFV, but it gets the job done. Besides, I liked having a girl be the awkward, anti-social creeper in the story. I mean, Squall was awkward and anti-social, but he wasn't a creeper, well except when he carried and talked to the unconscious girl on some railroad tracks.....

That being said my party was always Squall, Rinoa, Zell....the chicken-wuss kicks rear end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Air-iss' or 'Air-ith'?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'Air-iss' or 'Air-ith'?

Flosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Kanfy posted:

That'd mean I haven't all critted a single song in 50 hours of gameplay. I know I'm not amazing at this game but give me some credit here you jerk. :colbert:

Nah, I just haven't done any parameter boosting yet since I tend to switch around characters so much so it has to be there.

Yeah, in the Crystarium matching certain cards (and using crit-boosting cards like Mog) gives you a % chance to double the stat gain you get. I'm guessing that's what it means.