Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also I'm never ever going back to 3 because I can't swap styles mid combo in that.

That alone makes 4 more playable and enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

That loving Sned posted:

I wish there was a random version of the Bloody Palace, since I can never get through the Blitz fights with much health left.

The Secret Trick to Blitzes!
As Nero: Charge Shot when they have their electricity shield and buster grab at them until it's torn down, then just smash their poo poo in. You can also one shot them if they stand still for a second with your Super Saiyan demon sword move
As Dante: You can jump kick them with beowulf and then switch to Royal guard and guard against the electricity damage. With practice you can just chain kick them with enemy step, take no damage, and murderhouse them almost instantly.

notZaar posted:

To me DMC4 feels really unimaginative, especially when you consider how much variety DMC3 has. It's not a bad game at all, but I feel like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. If they focused only on Nero it might have been better, though people would raise hell.

I feel like that environments in DMC4 are incredibly varied compared to DMC (A big black castle and a creepier, gooier cave), DMC2 (A big brown cityscape) and even DMC3 (The city is 3 levels, Temeni-gru is pretty legit cool looking, but the whale sucks and is annoying). The castle is a great castle, the jungle is lush and green and fun and the Angeris temple is just a better version of the tower from DMC3. I think the reason I agree that DMC4 is the pinnacle of the games (and likely the genre) is because not only is the combat engine honed to a razor's edge but I think the weapons in DMC4 are the best weapons in the series except for the Guitar and the Nunchucks. Everything is fun to use and has a real useful effect at every difficulty. That level of game balance can be impossible to find elsewhere (this is why i think it's a better game than Bayonetta, which I adore, because that game very transparently has best weapons/moves). And that is all w/o even thinking about Nero, an entirely new character with a sweet kit that brings a ton of cool new ways to smash demons to the table. I just don't see what, outside of recycling the very pretty areas and bosses, you can call uninspired.

There is no defending the Boss rush dice room whatsoever, DMDing that was an excercise in frustration for sure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notZaar posted:

Dmc3 falls flat sometimes, but DMC4 is chock full of fluff and filler like reused bosses and levels and that dumb dice game.

You can just as easily make this complaint about three. There are several stages which have tedious rear end gimmicks which feel like they serve no purpose other than pad out the game, the good bosses can be counted on one hand, and there's honestly some pretty bad enemy design in certain cases in that game. DMC3 is great, but that game has more glaring issues than DMC4's reused bosses and stages.

The Dice Game is stupid as poo poo though and whoever thought it needed to be used on three different occasions is insane.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So a cursory glance over google suggests that Bayonetta 2 reviews are starting to come in... and it's perfect? Edge gave it a 10/10 and Japanese Famitsu said 38/40 and supposedly a 9.5 in Game Informer.

I mean, as someone who qualifies Bayonetta as the best action game ever (I think the Last of Us is the best game ever), this is really crazy to me. Bayonetta's combat has aged very well but the rest of the game was clearly flawed. I trust Platinum to learn from their mistakes more than most companies, so if they really did refine the combat to a molecular level and then go back and clean poo poo up everywhere else I could see this being the actual best Wii U game. I hope/pray that I can just use the Wii U pro controller and not the pad for playing because I like to keep my action claws tight to my chest.

This is so that when I'm grinding out bullshit like VR18 in MGR and my whole body twists to parry a rocket i don't accidentally toss my wii u at my projector screen.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

So a cursory glance over google suggests that Bayonetta 2 reviews are starting to come in... and it's perfect? Edge gave it a 10/10 and Japanese Famitsu said 38/40 and supposedly a 9.5 in Game Informer.

I mean, as someone who qualifies Bayonetta as the best action game ever (I think the Last of Us is the best game ever), this is really crazy to me. Bayonetta's combat has aged very well but the rest of the game was clearly flawed. I trust Platinum to learn from their mistakes more than most companies, so if they really did refine the combat to a molecular level and then go back and clean poo poo up everywhere else I could see this being the actual best Wii U game. I hope/pray that I can just use the Wii U pro controller and not the pad for playing because I like to keep my action claws tight to my chest.

This is so that when I'm grinding out bullshit like VR18 in MGR and my whole body twists to parry a rocket i don't accidentally toss my wii u at my projector screen.

What did you find majorly flawed about Bayonetta? Genuinely asking.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

What did you find majorly flawed about Bayonetta? Genuinely asking.

Barring the PS3 port woes, I'd say mid-cutscene instant death QTEs and the rocket level come to mind instantly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really had a problem with the music, which I really enjoyed but I think it gets old well before Infinite Climax mode. I feel like some of the monster designs look really washed out in the backgrounds. I think the "fight room full of dudes to unlock door" is a very dated mechanic and would rather there be more set-piece fighting than just hallways with monsters. The green environments look great, but the paradise stuff and some later levels are very grey and boring.

But all that barely dents the indomitable wall that is Bayonetta's combat engine. It's the most fun I've ever had with a controller (DMC4 is a close second).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean, as someone who qualifies Bayonetta as the best action game ever :words:

I wouldn't trust reviews, especially from Famitsu.

I've said it mostly in the Bayo thread, but Bayo 2 seems to be hit and miss with some of its contents. The combat thankfully isn't one of them, it's glorious as hell, and the new Devil Trigger equivialent, Umbran Climax is balanced enough to be useful, but not game-breaking. The new weapons are sick as gently caress too - whips and swords on hands, and feet! :woop:

The multiplayer looked rad as gently caress too.

It's apparently playable on both Pro Controller and the Pad - the stream I saw had them using the pad, and it worked pretty well.
---

[e]: Oh, and in DMC news, there's some report on some site going round that a DMC5 is being made - it's bullshit. At the moment anyway.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wouldn't trust reviews, especially from Famitsu.

I've said it mostly in the Bayo thread

You haven't really said anything, you just PM'd people about it. Are you under embargo or something?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oxxidation posted:

You haven't really said anything, you just PM'd people about it. Are you under embargo or something?

Forgot about just PM'ing it. gently caress. No, not under an embargo or anything I just didn't want to spoil poo poo in the first couple of pages. It's not a thorough breakdown, just some of the parts that felt a bit off, without trying to spoil too much poo poo.

Here it is, if you're interested:
:siren: SPOILERS FOR BAYONETTA 2:siren:
VVV
Bayo 2
^^^
Spoilers!:siren:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2014

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I completely agree with everything you said there. Like, from the first appearance of the Lumen Sage with the lipstick, you know who he is and what's going to happen with the plot. I do feel like the story was easier to understand, because the time loop had already happened. And I can't complain about Rosa, she looks like a lot of fun and I hope you can play as her in story mode. And the asset reuse. I honestly hate that they did that, because it's as though they weren't confident enough to create an entirely new soundtrack. And to have the two side by side only demonstrates that one isn't as good as the other. Moon River ain't got nothing on Fly Me to the Moon. Oh, and the fact that they removed Bayo's boss mode to replace it with Umbran Climax removes the idea of 'this is a cool, big boss fight!'

I'm the same though, I'm getting two copies of the game and will most likely enjoy it like the first, but my impression of this game is that it didn't try to do much to expand the Bayonetta series.

And I will never forgive whoever decided to rename the difficulties :argh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

yoshesque posted:

I completely agree with everything you said there. Like, from the first appearance of the Lumen Sage with the lipstick, you know who he is and what's going to happen with the plot. I do feel like the story was easier to understand, because the time loop had already happened. And I can't complain about Rosa, she looks like a lot of fun and I hope you can play as her in story mode. And the asset reuse. I honestly hate that they did that, because it's as though they weren't confident enough to create an entirely new soundtrack. And to have the two side by side only demonstrates that one isn't as good as the other. Moon River ain't got nothing on Fly Me to the Moon. Oh, and the fact that they removed Bayo's boss mode to replace it with Umbran Climax removes the idea of 'this is a cool, big boss fight!'

I'm the same though, I'm getting two copies of the game and will most likely enjoy it like the first, but my impression of this game is that it didn't try to do much to expand the Bayonetta series.

And I will never forgive whoever decided to rename the difficulties :argh:

Yeah, I mean as it is, the plot works, and, like you said, is easier to understand than the first. Balder's a pretty cool guy, and it's nice they worked in Rosa too. (AFAIK in Tag Climax, at least, she's got Bayonetta's old moveset, but is quicker, does more damage, but also takes more damage.) It compliments Bayo 1 quite nicely in that regard.

But yeah, the reused assets just made me go, "Really? Again? You've got all this cool new stuff, and you're just rehashing old stuff *grumble grumble*". Straight up reusing both "You May Call Me Father" and "Friend" was kinda lame - more so in the former since they gave Balder a new theme, which they then dropped for that final fight. They didn't even try to work the new theme in. It's just nitpicking I know but...

Still, on the plus side it looks fun as hell.
I'm struggling to think where they could go more with the core combat; it's pretty much at the pinnacle of what it feels like it wants to achieve. It's not like DMC, where there was a more gradual and obvious evolution of gameplay; Stylish action > On-the-fly weapon switching > Style System > On-the-fly style switching; Bayonetta was a response to those innovations. Or something. I dunno :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 26, 2014

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
The trick with the combat would be to achieve some more internal balance between weapons, make the meter mechanic make a little more sense (torture attacks were never quite that exciting) and throw in some more enemies like grace and glory/joy and make the offsetting clearer to people who were new. Having the knowledge of, say, spear offset makes the game so much better.

That's what I'd be hoping for. The core combat is amazing because you have all this analogue response for the holds combined with the total freedom to escape anything you're doing through the universal cancel dodge, and I don't think there's necessarily anything you need to strap on to that core conceit. Just give the player more and more options to engage with enemies, and enemies which have complex behaviour and force you to do interesting things.

It seems like, thus far, bayo2 hits most of these.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also I'm never ever going back to 3 because I can't swap styles mid combo in that.

That alone makes 4 more playable and enjoyable.

There's a mod for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Gj8lQKBUw

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

"Neca's Twitter posted:

It's finally happening. Dante from Devil May Cry coming early '15.

:neckbeard:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not the DMC4 outfit, thankfully otherwise I would've panicked whenever the price point is announced.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
For those that might not follow the Bayonetta 2 thread, the demo is now out in both EU and NA.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Cool toy I guess? I wonder why they chose a design from 2001.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

notZaar posted:

Cool toy I guess? I wonder why they chose a design from 2001.

License issues would be my guess, NECA did had a Dante figure on the works back then but it was vetoed by Capcom (something about only wanting high end figures for Dante or something) and fell into the limbo. I'm very surprised that they're releasing it now since NECA hasn't do any videogame figure on a while.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Not the DMC4 outfit, thankfully otherwise I would've panicked whenever the price point is announced.

I'm just glad it's NECA and not a manufacturer known for good posability, painting, or having their plastic not smell like old socks.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Original design best design, dweebs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry, no chaps and five o clock shadow no buy.

If he's got Gilgamesh it's a plus.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not best looking Dante/worst personality Dante, would not buy.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not best looking Dante/worst personality Dante, would not buy.

Since DMC4 was slotted in between 1 and 2, what would explain his personality shift from 4 to 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Since DMC4 was slotted in between 1 and 2, what would explain his personality shift from 4 to 2?

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, obviously.

Alternately the joke (but maybe not) answer is that some other douchebag named Enzo Ferino stole Dante's clothes and pretended to be him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That loving Sned posted:

All those characters from 4 you don't see in 2? Dead. Dante had to kill them. DMC5 is going to be quite dark.

Alternately, he'd realized what kind of game DMC2 was going to be.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC2 Dante is actually post DmC Tameem Antoinaidesdesdes

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

My head canon is that DMC2 takes place dozens of years after the previous games and Dante's personality change is because all the side characters from previous games died of old age/got killed and he's cursed to age very slowly/roam the Earth forever because of his half demon blood (despite the DMC4 novelization saying he ages normally). This made up detail is the only thing I have that makes me slightly like DMC2 because I can imagine the entire series is a young carefree teenager's transformation into a demon slaying deity.

I'm 5 years old and I love anime.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
This is going to sound strange, but I thought I saw a Dagon quick kill on Youtube years ago involving a level 2 Just Charged Distorted Straight. The fight only took 6-7 seconds and the Straight somehow connected with Dagon's tongue right off the bat, killing him hilariously quickly. But now I can't find this video for the life of me. Is it real or was it some kind of fever dream?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AccountingNightmare posted:

This is going to sound strange, but I thought I saw a Dagon quick kill on Youtube years ago involving a level 2 Just Charged Distorted Straight. The fight only took 6-7 seconds and the Straight somehow connected with Dagon's tongue right off the bat, killing him hilariously quickly. But now I can't find this video for the life of me. Is it real or was it some kind of fever dream?

Can't load YT right now for some bizarre reason so I can't answer your question. Still, a perfect Straight sounds like the most damaging single-hit attack in DMC4, though I don't know if you can Distort a full Royal Guard counter...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AccountingNightmare posted:

This one maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTvW027FMA
---

Quick bit of news, this was posted on the Dragon's Dogma website in reference to an upcoming Capcom announcement at PS:E:

"11.26.2014 - Devil May Cry? Dragon's Dogma 2 ? What could this be? What are you hoping for?"

It's known Capcom is going to announce a game for the PS4, could be DMC, honestly don't know. Will keep everyone posted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Dragon's Dogma May Cry"

:allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
This image has been lurking around the net;

Its source is here: http://trademarks.justia.com/862/10/devil-may-86210729.html/http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86210729&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
It appears that Capcom is doing something with the DMC trademark; renewal maybe? (IANAL)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god no, I'm not letting you do this to me Capcom. I'm not letting you get my hopes up. I'm letting them get my hopes up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I for one can't wait for DmC: Devil May Cry 2.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh my god no, I'm not letting you do this to me Capcom. I'm not letting you get my hopes up. I'm letting them get my hopes up.

"And finally, introducing Dante from Devil May Cry...DLC for Dragon's Dogma 2."

Nihilarian posted:

I for one can't wait for DmC: Devil May Cry 2.

It's just announced by the speaker screaming "FFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOUUUUUU...two."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pesky Splinter posted:

"And finally, introducing Dante from Devil May Cry...DLC for Dragon's Dogma 2."

You know what? I would be perfectly fine with this. At least we would loving get it unlike SB4 and it's DMC DLC.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
it's gonna be a tower defence game exclusive to mobile apple devices

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The only dmc game I care about at this point is DMC0: The Legendary Dark Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Thanks all, but I just found the video I was thinking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6sp6kmVTFA I misremembered and it took 16 seconds. Still awesome.

As far as new DMC games go, I'd be happy with just a PC port of the HD collection at this point.

• Locked thread