Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

Here are the Tim White things. The first one was pulled, but you can see the follow-ups.

e: Sometimes you just wanna drink a cup of mad cow disease.

e2: Mr. White, that's not wise.

And TNA just signed Josh Matthews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Can someone explain the economics of indy wrestling? For example PWG will have many of the top talent on each show in a building that fits 200 people - how do they afford to pay them all and still turn a profit? How much of the business income is dependent on shirt/dvd/etc. sales to keep going?

Quackenbush claimed in an interview once that CHIKARA relied on DVD/digital sales to the extent that they'd fold in 60 days without them.

I'd imagine that PWG would be the same given the tiny size of the Reseda Legion Hall. They'd also just have to be sustainable since it's a fun weekend hobby rather than a career for Super Dragon and Excalibur. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big name wrestlers there work for reduced rates since they all seem to love the atmosphere there and several of them like Steen are friends of the promoters.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

how do they afford to pay them all and still turn a profit?

There are two mistaken assumptions in this question when it's applied to the average indy promotion.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

I Before E posted:

He's arranged a meeting with a big fan of his.

i'm not really into these, but having a small bandage on his cheek the week after the fan is hilarious

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's funny who sees that as offensive. The people I've seen make the darkest jokes have typically been genuinely depressed people trying to make light of a lovely situation, so a lot of people who actually deal with depression and mental illness would likely find that really funny. It's mostly the people who have no exposure to that sort of thing who say you shouldn't joke about it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
This is more of a quiz question I have invented in my head but i don't know the actual answer.

What is the earliest WWF pay-per-view that featured a current member of the current active WWE roster in a wrestling capacity? I'm thinking Golddust and his debut at In Your House 4 in Oct 1995.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kane first appeared as Isaac Yankem earlier that year, and HHH debuted a couple months before Kane.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane was at Summerslam in August 95 as Isaac Yankem if gimmick switching is allowed.

e: fu

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Gimmick switching allowed, however I would be pedantic about including Triple H.

So it's Glenn Jacobs, but in terms of same gimmick it's Goldust?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the Bryan Danielson World Champion DVD compilation. Which of his title defenses when he was RoH World Champ did people actually expect him to possibly lose? It doesn't seem like many on the DVD would make sense up until the long Samoa Joe match.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

Kane first appeared as Isaac Yankem earlier that year, and HHH debuted a couple months before Kane.

holy poo poo i did not know that that was kane

my mind is loving blown right now

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

Gimmick switching allowed, however I would be pedantic about including Triple H.

So it's Glenn Jacobs, but in terms of same gimmick it's Goldust?

If gimmick switching counts, then it's still Goldust since he wrestled at the 1991 Royal Rumble.

Edit: 1991, not 1990

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a list of people John Cena has not gotten wins back from or has a losing record against?

Brock Lesnar 2-16
Eddie Guerrero 1-6
Chris Benoit 5-10
Rikishi 5-9
Rey Mysterio 2-5
Matt Hardy 0-4
Nova 0-4
David Flair 0-2
Lance Storm 0-1
Scott Steiner 0-1
Kevin Federline 0-1

This includes his matches as The Prototype in OVW, but not from any other developmentals.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

3 2 of the people on that list are dead.

e: Reid Flair != David Flair

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 26, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Eddie, Benoit, and...Lance Storm?

How could they tell?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'd assumed it was Federline tbh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A better question might be "Who does he have a losing record against since the Doom Push began at Wrestlemania 21?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Since WM 21, Triple H has gone 3-1-1 against Cena in 1v1 matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

oldpainless posted:

Since WM 21, Triple H has gone 3-1-1 against Cena.
I have never been less surprised in my life.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'm watching the Bryan Danielson World Champion DVD compilation. Which of his title defenses when he was RoH World Champ did people actually expect him to possibly lose? It doesn't seem like many on the DVD would make sense up until the long Samoa Joe match.

vs Joe, Delirious at Ring of Homicide, vs Nigel at Unified, vs Homicide at Final Battle 06, vs KENTA at Glory By Honor 5 Night 2

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

vs Joe, Delirious at Ring of Homicide, vs Nigel at Unified, vs Homicide at Final Battle 06, vs KENTA at Glory By Honor 5 Night 2

Almost no one expected him to lose against Delirious. I'd wager "no one" actually. Very few thought he'd lose to Joe the first time because people were waiting for the Nigel and KENTA matches. I remember most fans who followed the product expecting a draw and that's what we got. The KENTA match was the first one where it felt like there was a real shot he was losing. He was injured and KENTA had a couple upcoming dates that would work for semi regular title defenses. I think there was some feeling he might lose to Joe the second time but the rematch ended up as non title and by the time they had their third match of the reign it was obvious the belt was going to Homicide.

Yeah there were nearfalls that everyone bought and moments of doubt but it was Bryan Danielson in the best booked year ROH had, of course he made people believe.

Going from memory there were a few people who thought Rave was going to win (even funnier in retrospect) slightly more who thought Roderick would win their third match at Supercard and then not very many until the Joe and Nigel matches. Nigel had more people buying it than Joe just because the match was being held in England and it had fewer big matches coming after but even then it wasn't many compared to KENTA. KENTA was the first time signs really pointed to a title change.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How has Jimmy Hart aged so well?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Secretly a lich using a megaphone as his phylactery.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Botox, sunglasses, and hair dye.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Secretly a lich using a megaphone as his phylactery.

I was going to make some lovely joke, but: does/did Hart just have a bunch of different megaphones, or would he get the same one reworked for each paint job?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow posted:

He does good with distracting you from his old man bits with his signature haircut facial hair and suit. Without those he's a wrinkly bag full of dust.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Here, this video explains it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tez2g5pZDBw

The explanation is that he looks awful and old

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Smoking Crow posted:

Have you seen him without the sunglasses?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jimmy Hart is 70, cuts promos like he's 50 and looks like he's 40.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of aging well, Goldust is 45 and wrestles like he's still 25. Did he jump on the DDP Yoga bandwagon or is it just the good ol' Rhodes genetics at work?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Benne posted:

Speaking of aging well, Goldust is 45 and wrestles like he's still 25. Did he jump on the DDP Yoga bandwagon or is it just the good ol' Rhodes genetics at work?

Yoga. Plus being clean.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why doesn't WWE call them wrestlers anymore?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Why doesn't WWE call them wrestlers anymore?

So CM Pun Daniel Bry Roman Reig Dean Ambrose can get a pop by saying that's what they are.

(Realtalk: Vince has a Napoleon complex in relation to 'real' entertainment, so he wants to downplay that his company is lowbrow hick 'rasslin'.)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they call them wrestlers all the time but Superstars is just for branding purposes

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Benne posted:

Yeah, Goldust benefits greatly from the fact that he was on a shitload of drugs during his 90s Goldust run. He is in fact in better shape mentally and physically than he was in his theoretical prime.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, Goldust benefits greatly from the fact that he was on a shitload of drugs during his 90s Goldust run. He is in fact in better shape mentally and physically than he was in his theoretical prime.

Imagine if he was clean in his 20s. Imagine how he would have moved.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Jimmy Hart is 70, cuts promos like he's 50 and looks like he's 40.

if you take off his sunglasses he looks wayyy older than 40

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Goldust also has the benefit of wrestling in paint and a Lycra bodysuit so as long as he can still move he doesn't seem 43.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

if you take off his sunglasses he looks wayyy older than 40

Jimmy Hart: Doctor, I look really old when I take my sunglasses off!

Doctor: Then don't take them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CarlCX posted:

I am sure working with his brother helps. A brother that seems to have only a comic and video game addiction.