Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Broken Loose posted:

Then again you're also saying that Crying Love Interest is a competent pilot when all she did was lose to first timers in unarmed grunts and then cry about it. I mean, if "good pilot" is the narrative we're going with now, seeing as the excuse last page was that nothing indicated her being a good pilot.

Well she was one beam saber swipe away from winning her debut fight and then the G-Self locked up, so the narrative obviously isn't trying to support the idea that she's a bad pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I will however concede that the issue of the bunny ears blocking the camera turned out to be nothing, because as demonstrated in episode 2 Bell is perfectly capable of shooting down enemy commanders with no monitors showing the outside and a shield blocking the view through his open hatch.

Pureauthor posted:

Well she was one beam saber swipe away from winning her debut fight and then the G-Self locked up, so the narrative obviously isn't trying to support the idea that she's a bad pilot.

I mean that's fine, that's totally fair, because she did show up in a top secret prototype leading a squadron of dudes. It just makes her reaction to losing more unacceptable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I mean that's fine, that's totally fair, because she did show up in a top secret prototype leading a squadron of dudes. It just makes her reaction to losing more unacceptable.

Why is it unacceptable? She (and her self-named super suit) were captured by the enemy because her suit malfunctioned and according to later dialogue she was going to be executed. She was upset in private, calmed down, and faced her captors calmly without fear. That is frankly one of the more "real person" anyone in the show did.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My take on all the stuff that makes you raise an eyebrow or utter :wtf: is that this was to move things forward rapidly and cut filler, at the cost of raised eyebrows and :wtf:. If it doesn't settle down then Tomino had a longer series in mind but had to cut it short.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Why is it unacceptable? She was captured by the enemy because her suit malfunctioned and according to later dialogue she was going to be executed.

She's effectively an enemy commander piloting an ace suit. The concept that a commander would break down into tears because she was taken prisoner comes off as very "women, right? :rolleye:" as does the concept that she would crumple to the floor in tearful agony at another soldier's death in battle.

If you switched the genders, everybody in this thread would be like, "This dude has loving issues" instead of brushing it off.

edit: I want to restate for the record that these tidbits wouldn't stand out so much if the entire female cast of this show weren't shining examples of awfulness.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

My take on all the stuff that makes you raise an eyebrow or utter :wtf: is that this was to move things forward rapidly and cut filler, at the cost of raised eyebrows and :wtf:

I don't really think they cut filler precisely. If anything I'd say the opposite. They focused on filler and casual worldbuilding but de-emphasized things which would traditionally be called important which lead to a pace which is both breakneck and oddly meandering. That may be what Tomino means by it not being for Gundam fans since he seems actively uninterested in approaching the story that way. (In both good ways and bad.)

Broken Loose posted:

She's effectively an enemy commander piloting an ace suit. The concept that a commander would break down into tears because she was taken prisoner comes off as very "women, right? :rolleye:" as does the concept that she would crumple to the floor in tearful agony at another soldier's death in battle.

If you switched the genders, everybody in this thread would be like, "This dude has loving issues" instead of brushing it off.

Here is the most popular Gundam protagonist in the last few decades. He cries every other episode.

Here is his rival, the ace pilot who is commander of his own unit.

You can argue all you want that the show is bad but "only women break down and cry" isn't something even casual Gundam fans would agree with.

Edit:

Look at this womanly person, crying over the death of a soldier. I mean he's a commander and his ace pilot is right next to him and both of them are crying after one of their allies dies in battle. How loving unbelievable is that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I've taken from watching the second episode is that the Capital Guard/Army seem to have a Patlabor thing going on in that their mechs aren't military models, just repurposed civilian models with armor. Kinda makes sense why three Grimoires just stomped all over them. Also holy poo poo, that beam whip the Grimoire guns have :allears:.

Broken Loose posted:

edit: I want to restate for the record that these tidbits wouldn't stand out so much if the entire female cast of this show weren't shining examples of awfulness.

You mean like the female classmate that matched Bellri's jumps perfectly across the boats and showed no signs of incompetency? Or the main character's mother in a position of leadership and portrayed as nothing but calm and professional?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Here is the most popular Gundam protagonist in the last few decades. He cries every other episode.

Okay, that's perfectly fine, but Jesus Yamato is a loving laughingstock on these forums and almost the prototypical example of how not to make a character. If you're going to compare Aida to Kira Yamato, you're doing so at the risk of saying, "This character ruins entire series." Also, Kira did the most of his crying while he was still completely new to piloting but Aida's supposed to be a commander in an ace suit.

These are valid arguments (she's actually a good pilot in bad circumstances, she's like Kira, etc.) but they all come with terrible connotations if you follow their train of logic.

edit: Bright crying when Matilda died is great for comparing to episode 2, but not episode 1.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I've taken from watching the second episode is that the Capital Guard/Army seem to have a Patlabor thing going on in that their mechs aren't military models, just repurposed civilian models with armor. Kinda makes sense why three Grimoires just stomped all over them. Also holy poo poo, that beam whip the Grimoire guns have :allears:.

You mean like the female classmate that matched Bellri's jumps perfectly across the boats and showed no signs of incompetency? Or the main character's mother in a position of leadership and portrayed as nothing but calm and professional?

That part's funny because she literally went 'GIRL POWER' before doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, that's perfectly fine, but Jesus Yamato is a loving laughingstock on these forums and almost the prototypical example of how not to make a character. If you're going to compare Aida to Kira Yamato, you're doing so at the risk of saying, "This character ruins entire series." Also, Kira did the most of his crying while he was still completely new to piloting but Aida's supposed to be a commander in an ace suit.

These are valid arguments (she's actually a good pilot in bad circumstances, she's like Kira, etc.) but they all come with terrible connotations if you follow their train of logic.

Again, pictured: Commander of a ship (and a trained officer, if one put in bad situations) and an ace pilot crying over the death of an enlisted soldier.

Broken Loose posted:

edit: Bright crying when Matilda died is great for comparing to episode 2, but not episode 1.

So? You've yet to actually justify why episode 1 is bad unless nobody is allowed to express any emotion at all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Yeah, I totally remember Bright breaking into hysterics because he lost a fight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

That part's funny because she literally went 'GIRL POWER' before doing it.

Oh very true, but I was half-expecting them to make it a joke and have her end up in the drink rather than jump it perfectly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, I totally remember Bright breaking into hysterics because he lost a fight.

Bright, pictured there, is hysterics. He is slumped on the ground and crying.

Aida has tears in her eyes for like 10 seconds before she wiped them away and was promptly fine.

I don't think you know what the word "hysterics" means. It does not mean "you can calm yourself down in an instant."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I cannot believe this is still going on.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you earnestly claim that Bright Noa crying at Matilda's death is equivalent to Aila being like "I wish I didn't get like this!" while bawling at being subdued, then you're trolling.

ImpAtom posted:

So? You've yet to actually justify why episode 1 is bad unless nobody is allowed to express any emotion at all.

You're being purposely obtuse at this point, so this is my last post on the topic. I'm going to be crystal loving clear.

Enemy Commander loses a fight and is taken prisoner, then breaks down crying in the cockpit. If this character were male, it wouldn't be considered normal. Since the character is female, I'm apparently considered a weirdo for saying it's hosed up in a specific way.

The rest of the episode is also hosed up in that same way. The entire remaining female cast is literal cheerleaders (who keep disobeying authority and being unhelpful) and a shrieking vegetable. The vegetable was the only other female pilot, and she ALSO was subdued by faceless grunts and then broke down crying afterward for one reason or another (the context to which is not nearly as important as the consistency).

If even HALF of these things existed in a vacuum, then it wouldn't look so bad. However, as a whole, it's DC Comics level of hosed up writing. There is so much of this stuff that it has to either be intentional or a ridiculously high level of incompetence*. You cannot ignore each tree piecemeal and then claim the forest does not exist.

*In fairness, given the anti-exposition cut of episode 2, A Ridiculously High Level of Incompetence is not off the table.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
ImpAtom is traditionally incredibly critical about the portrayal of female Gundam characters to the point where he and I had like a five page long argument about Build Fighters females at the beginning of that show. Calling him on being "deliberately obtuse" when you're repeatedly ignoring his points in favor of "B-BUT A GIRL CRIED!" and handwaving his counterexamples of male characters crying is pretty loving dumb.

It is really weird how you're using words like "bawling" and "hysterics" to describe a character squeezing out a few tears of frustration about her suit malfunctioning and getting captured by junkheaps before sucking it up and telling her captors to gently caress off to their faces less than five minutes after it happens. I wouldn't think it was weird or inappropriate if a male character did that, either.

Blockhouse posted:

I cannot believe this is still going on.

Broken Loose is the hero who managed to face all comers in a no-holds barred bunny ears argument for like four pages without ever giving an inch.

Do not underestimate Broken Loose's dedication to a position.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 3, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think my favourite part of both episodes is the ED.

Everyone's just so happy and goofy.

And the song is pure 80s cheese.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kanos posted:

Broken Loose is the hero who managed to face all comers in a no-holds barred bunny ears argument for like four pages without ever giving an inch.

Do not underestimate Broken Loose's dedication to a position.

I don't know what's funnier: How I was proven wrong about the camera issue (because Bell's psychic), or how everybody else was proven wrong that the bunny ears were still a bad idea (because that's how the G-Self got nabbed).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think you know what the word "hysterics" means. It does not mean "you can calm yourself down in an instant."

It means a woman is crying :colbert:

Alt. Joke: it means someone's crying in a show that I'm desperately trying to justify my pages of sad brain posting for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

I don't know what's funnier: How I was proven wrong about the camera issue (because Bell's psychic), or how everybody else was proven wrong that the bunny ears were still a bad idea (because that's how the G-Self got nabbed).

I'm just gonna quote the point that you keep willfully ignoring;

Pureauthor posted:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Show us on the doll where the bunny ears touched you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I like a lot of the background character animation, like Monday messing around with the pompoms while they talk about spacepope, and that girl who ran into the room too fast and bumped her head against the wall.

It's kinda crazy but the cast has so many women in it compared to earlier gundam, I hope when the obvious big plot change happens they'll be more prominent, especially since tomino mentioned already he wanted to make it a feminist show. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the early episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I'm going to try this one last time before I just give up, because you've ignored it every single time:

The G-Self did not get 'nabbed' by its ear. Bell grabbed it and the machine malfunctioned and performed a different action than Aida told it to (likely because she was going to shiv Bell or use the head vulcans to blow him away.) Afterwards she accelerated so hard he let go. At no point did the ear have any impact at all on what happened except being the thing that got grabbed, which could as easily have been the head itself. It contributed literally nothing to her capture or anything more that a moment's mild inconvenience. If the G-Self had not malfunctioned it would not even have been that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She was also deliberately handicapping herself in a huge number of ways that allowed Bellri to even get close enough to grab her in the first place(not using her beam rifle to loving kill everyone, not cutting the cables to force the Guard to poo poo themselves, not holding the elevator pod hostage).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The G-Self malfunctioned after Bell had been hanging onto the ear for half a minute, while it was hilariously trying to punch the grunt off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The G-Self malfunctioned after Bell had been hanging onto the ear for half a minute, while it was hilariously trying to punch the grunt off.

Dude, the trying-to-punch-it-off was the malfuction. Aida literally says "that's the wrong action" right afterwards.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Dude, the trying-to-punch-it-off was the malfuction. Aida literally says "that's the wrong action" right afterwards.

No, it stops punching, pulls its arm back, and then starts randomly twitching. That's when she says it's the wrong response.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I like a lot of the background character animation, like Monday messing around with the pompoms while they talk about spacepope, and that girl who ran into the room too fast and bumped her head against the wall.

It's kinda crazy but the cast has so many women in it compared to earlier gundam, I hope when the obvious big plot change happens they'll be more prominent, especially since tomino mentioned already he wanted to make it a feminist show. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the early episodes.

Yeah while some of the animation has been rough at spots, it really makes up for it with all the nice little details like that. It really goes well with how colorful the show is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wish this loving sidetrack was brought up by anyone else. Literally anyone else but the "HURF DURF GUNDAM EARS" guy.

Why was she crying? Maybe you missed it, man, but even she seemed a little confused about it. It could be space psychic shenanigans! Oh wait, it most definitely IS space psychic shenanigans since the suit itself betrayed its pilot. Frankly, until main character dude complains about how women should be mothers instead of front line soldiers, or until he channels all the spirits of the dead women into his beam saber, it's premature to say this female character and series is misogynist and bad.

Or even better? If it has you worked up moreso than the Gundam ears, just stop watching. Cause holy poo poo, you cannot handle a series two episodes in. Sometimes you need to throw in the towel.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

"How should we animate the credits?"

"Line dancing?"

"OK!"

Can't wait to learn more about :c00lbert: NOT CHAR Never change Gundam, never change

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

karlor posted:

Can't wait to learn more about :c00lbert: NOT CHAR Never change Gundam, never change

I'm hoping :c00lbert: Not Char is completely calm and serious, just to make the end credits all the more amazing :allears:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Yeah while some of the animation has been rough at spots, it really makes up for it with all the nice little details like that. It really goes well with how colorful the show is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm hoping :c00lbert: Not Char is completely calm and serious, just to make the end credits all the more amazing :allears:.

Isn't NotChar just Luin?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

No, it stops punching, pulls its arm back, and then starts randomly twitching. That's when she says it's the wrong response.

As we all know, the Gundam's most sensitive nerve endings are in the V fin, in this case, the bunny ears. Word of advice, don't touch the Turn-A's mustache, it's what sets off the Moonlight Butterfly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

As we all know, the Gundam's most sensitive nerve endings are in the V fin, in this case, the bunny ears. Word of advice, don't touch the Turn-A's mustache, it's what sets off the Moonlight Butterfly.

That's what caused the Black History, you know. Some tech polished the mustache counter-clockwise instead of clockwise and cooked off most of mankind.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't NotChar just Luin?

Gundam characters can only recognize one another through eye contact, so nobody will suspect it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

karlor posted:

Gundam characters can only recognize one another through eye contact, so nobody will suspect it.

People keep saying Clark Kent is Superman, but I just don't see it. Clark wears glasses, Superman does not. What's so hard about this to understand? :rolleyes:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
uhhhh hey baby wanna see my under nut uhhh

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ninjewtsu posted:

So is there a way to watch this in the US yet?

Echoing this; is there any way to watch this in the US that doesn't involve :filez: or some other arcane internet shenanigans that I'm clueless about? As much as I'm enjoying watching Broken Loose go into hysterics about women crying and MS design decisions, I'd actually kind of like to see the episodes myself so I can have some context for this entire derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Echoing this; is there any way to watch this in the US that doesn't involve :filez: or some other arcane internet shenanigans that I'm clueless about? As much as I'm enjoying watching Broken Loose go into hysterics about women crying and MS design decisions, I'd actually kind of like to see the episodes myself so I can have some context for this entire derail.

Since the UK and Australia already have streams and there's no NA option, people are guessing that they're saving it for an announcement at New York Comic Con next week because hey isn't it *more* exciting to hear news about a stream at a press release a few weeks after the show starts instead of reading a boring announcement online before the show even airs!? (Of course not but some anime companies genuinely think that!)

So basically, that's the answer people in the US are giving to this

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread