Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've always grabbed a lot in Smash but even I'm doing it less this time around. I think it's because using the L button feels so weird.

You can switch it to the R button if you want. Or the R + A combo, that's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've always grabbed a lot in Smash but even I'm doing it less this time around. I think it's because using the L button feels so weird.

The controls in this thing leave a lot to be desired even if you customize them (as you should). The stick doesn't give enough room to move, the triggers are mushy, and the spacing of everything means your hands are going to spazz out over the 3DS assuming you've beat the Irish Sweepstakes odds and gotten a game that isn't drowning in lag.

But for you, mapping Grab to R might alleviate some of your trouble.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

You can switch it to the R button if you want. Or the R + A combo, that's still there.

It's also great because shielding someone's attack and then grabbing them is really strong.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm just used to R for shield and Z for grab. My right finger wants to do both. The R+A combo's been around since 64 but I never used it then either.

It's not you, game, it's me. :ohdear:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Grabbing is still really good and most the cast can legitimately combo off of a down grab.
It takes a bit of getting used too but its perhaps better than ever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario Luigi Pikachu Samus ZSS Rosalinda DK Diddy Jigglypuff Mr Game and Watch Wario Mega Man PAC Man Ganon Cap Falcon Bowser Bowser Jr Link Zelda Young Link Space Animals Olimar Charizard Dr Mario Wii Fit Villager Kirby DDD and more all have no counter

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm just used to R for shield and Z for grab. My right finger wants to do both. The R+A combo's been around since 64 but I never used it then either.

It's not you, game, it's me. :ohdear:

I actually kind of like it, cause it's training me on the 3DS controls, which have the same buttons and layout as the WiiU. So I'll save money on not buyin a new gamecube controller!

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Tucked In The Cut posted:

I've been reading this thread and you certainly do not like this game. Maybe you should play another game that you like instead? Of course, you can continue to be a bitch but I'm just trying to be constructive here

No, I've said that I don't think there is enough content to warrant playing it by yourself. It's fun enough to play with a few friends if the lag is tolerable (in most cases, it isn't), but there is next to no content or stuff to do by yourself. I've posted that and some people can't accept it, and either call me a troll or just flat out get angry at me over it.

If you think it's fun, great. I think it's fun to play with my friends, too. I think you're lying to yourself if you're blindly accepting the game as having no flaws, and ignoring them when they're pointed out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Consider a lot of us have been playing single player for 8+ hours already at this point and are really enjoying it, even discounting multiplayer that's just, like, your opinion man. Stop stating it as fact.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
That's cool that you're enjoying the game. That doesn't change anything. Just because you're having fun running a barebones Smash Run by yourself over and over again to farm "custom badges" that will never see any use, doesn't change anything about the actual problems with the game. You can't just write off all of a games flaws because "well, I've played it for 8 hours".

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

That's cool that you're enjoying the game. That doesn't change anything. Just because you're having fun running a barebones Smash Run by yourself over and over again to farm "custom badges" that will never see any use, doesn't change anything about the actual problems with the game. You can't just write off all of a games flaws because "well, I've played it for 8 hours".

im having fun with it

chill the gently caress out

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Clearly this isn't the game for you then, maybe you should go somewhere else where people are going to be more receptive to your angsty terrible opinions instead of endlessly complaining and making GBS threads up a thread full of people that just want to smash bros and talk about smashing bros

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

im having fun with it

chill the gently caress out

Like I said earlier, I'm having fun playing with friends too. There's multiple people on here who agree with me that the game lacks content or stuff to do. You don't have to get pissy about it because you disagree with me - not everyone thinks that this 3DS incarnation of Smash Brothers is God's gift to man. Like I said, it's neat but ultimately pretty underwhelming. Maybe you're the one who needs to chill out if you're that upset over someone's internet video game criticism.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my only real complaint about the game is that they took the time to make a final destination version of every stage but didnt bother to put in a proper ranking/fighting system for 1v1 matches, so it's just a series of disjointed scuffles instead of moving up a ladder.

loving mk8 has a deeper ranking system. but whatever, im having a blast.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
What trophy did you guys start with? I got Waddle Doo. :3:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're talking about there being nothing to do in a game full of people who have been doing things in it for hours on end.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

You're talking about there being nothing to do in a game full of people who have been doing things in it for hours on end.

There are people who have spent thousands of hours in Bubsy 3D.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

The Manticore posted:

What trophy did you guys start with? I got Waddle Doo. :3:

I got (Mega Man) X.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Bubsy 3D is a fairly lengthy game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

my only real complaint about the game is that they took the time to make a final destination version of every stage but didnt bother to put in a proper ranking/fighting system for 1v1 matches, so it's just a series of disjointed scuffles instead of moving up a ladder.

loving mk8 has a deeper ranking system. but whatever, im having a blast.

This, and I sure as hell wish it was battlefield instead. If the Japanese pros use final destination they are wrong.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Is lack of content really a legit complaint since the game card is pretty much bursting apart at the seams as it is because of how much content there is? It's like complaining that your 1 liter drinking glass can't hold 2 liters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bonzibuddy64 posted:

There are one people who have done that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

greatn posted:

This happens depressingly often. Look at Destiny!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

greatn posted:

This, and I sure as hell wish it was battlefield instead. If the Japanese pros use final destination they are wrong.

I think it's gonna make lil mac disproportionately good in "for glory" mode because he's basically made to fight on FD.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Davinci posted:

Is lack of content really a legit complaint since the game card is pretty much bursting apart at the seams as it is because of how much content there is? It's like complaining that your 1 liter drinking glass can't hold 2 liters.

Those are mainly art assets, though. When I say "content", I just mean "stuff to do". Hell, even the only two game modes you can play are Stock and Timed. What the gently caress happened?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another complaint: the sound and music is loving amazing but when the crowd chants the names it sounds like its coming from a Sega Genesis.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this game is good

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Lessail posted:

this game is good

yeah

actually, i'd even say it's very good

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

one of the flaws is the lack of ali hillis tho

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game is good! I think the stages are kinda butt though. I wasn't one of the "Final Destination and Battlefield only" types in Melee/Brawl but seriously they're pretty much the best stages here. Too many stages have land that extends to the kill plane (which is loving heinous and I hate it) or have a million moving parts. I don't want to fight the level, I want to fight other people.

I thought Omega Mode was a super cool idea except that it turns every level into Final Destination. I was hoping it would make every level a slightly different Battlefield variant (oh, platforms here, this time there are platforms there, whatever), but nope, Final Destination Fox Only No Items.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Those are mainly art assets, though. When I say "content", I just mean "stuff to do". Hell, even the only two game modes you can play are Stock and Timed. What the gently caress happened?

no one played coin mode

smash run is basically adventure mode crammed into a randomized map and it's pretty fun even with bots

pretty much anything else that's missing that isn't a character/stage was something largely unused in previous titles so are you bitching just to bitch or what

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Lessail posted:

this game is good

:agreed:

I've put about 10 hours into For Glory Teams and 1v1 and can count the number of laggy games I've experienced on one hand. It's P2P, so if you're dropping packets everywhere you'll probably have a bad time.

For Fun has been terrible every time I've tried it, though, so I could understand if people therefore thought the game was not fun.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

This game is good! I think the stages are kinda butt though. I wasn't one of the "Final Destination and Battlefield only" types in Melee/Brawl but seriously they're pretty much the best stages here. Too many stages have land that extends to the kill plane (which is loving heinous and I hate it) or have a million moving parts. I don't want to fight the level, I want to fight other people.

I thought Omega Mode was a super cool idea except that it turns every level into Final Destination. I was hoping it would make every level a slightly different Battlefield variant (oh, platforms here, this time there are platforms there, whatever), but nope, Final Destination Fox Only No Items.
They needed a Static Mode. The individual Dreamland sub-stages are fun but scrolling between them sucks. Stage scrolling and shifting is where I've had the most unplayable lag too.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

no one played coin mode

smash run is basically adventure mode crammed into a randomized map and it's pretty fun even with bots

pretty much anything else that's missing that isn't a character/stage was something largely unused in previous titles so are you bitching just to bitch or what

No, I think you're just writing off all of my complaints and making them sound less legitimate than they are. Smash run is nothing like adventure mode, or event mode, or subspace emissary. The game is a barebones Smash engine and all we can do is hope that the Wii U version will actually include gameplay.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

bonzibuddy64 posted:

No, I think you're just writing off all of my complaints and making them sound less legitimate than they are. Smash run is nothing like adventure mode, or event mode, or subspace emissary. The game is a barebones Smash engine and all we can do is hope that the Wii U version will actually include gameplay.

i disagree :)

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Do we know if events are returning for the Wii U version of the game? I always really enjoyed those.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

all im hoping is that you stop posting actually

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Smash Run is really sub par if you're not playing it locally with friends.
Also the event missions are sorely missed. Those were utterly fantastic.

It really does seem like a handheld training game for the WiiU version.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

PoPcornTG posted:

Do we know if events are returning for the Wii U version of the game? I always really enjoyed those.

I don't really think they've said anything yet with regards to different gamemodes in the Wii U version. I think they'll probably do something like that soon - they've probably just been quiet about that and the game's release date so they wouldn't detract from the 3DS sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bobnumerotres posted:

no one played coin mode

No one played it because they didn't realize Kirby's Final Smash also pulls in any nearby coins and turns them into items. The way to play Coin Mode is to play All-Kirbies with items on Very High so that every Final Smash becomes an explosion of pure madness.

• Locked thread