Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Am I the only one that's hoping for Team Alonso Grosjean: Round 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Barnsy posted:

Am I the only one that's hoping for Team Alonso Grosjean: Round 2?

As long as it's not in the Lotus.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ideal world: Vettel goes to Ferrari, Ferrari fail to improve their car, Vettel languishes towards the rear of the top 10 for the next 5 years. Alonso goes to Mclaren, Magnussen is punted out of Mclaren, Alonso / Button facial hair dream team 2015. Everyone else IDGAF.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Michael Schumacher cheated his way to 2 WDCs for a fake team then won 5 WDCs for the Scuderia. Since Vettel cheated his way to 4 WDCs for a fake team, he is clearly going to win ten (10) WDCs driving for Ferrari. Phwoar. The numbers don't lie.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

enri posted:

Ideal world: Vettel goes to Ferrari, Ferrari fail to improve their car, Vettel languishes towards the rear of the top 10 for the next 5 years.

So basically become Alonso.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Michael Schumacher cheated his way to 2 WDCs for a fake team then won 5 WDCs for the Scuderia. Since Vettel cheated his way to 4 WDCs for a fake team, he is clearly going to win ten (10) WDCs driving for Ferrari. Phwoar. The numbers don't lie.
This only applies when Ferrari isn't managed by Italians. Vettel is going to sulk around in yet another crappy Ferrari for a year or two, then he'll take his ball and go off to WEC, DTM, or some other series. Truly, the German Jacques Villeneuve.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Sashimi posted:

This only applies when Ferrari isn't managed by Italians. Vettel is going to sulk around in yet another crappy Ferrari for a year or two, then he'll take his ball and go off to WEC, DTM, or some other series. Truly, the German Jacques Villeneuve.

Jacques is actually cool though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If Vettel releases an album I'm going to kill the first German thing I see.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Vettel should go to Indycar... in a Ferrari :getin:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

dev null posted:

So basically become Alonso.

Precisely. Just with less talent for dragging a heap of poo poo car up the grid.

In completely unrelated news, my wife bumped into an old school friend a few weeks back. Our respective kids have just started school and are in the same class. Cutting a long story short, he works for Mercedes. Going to see if he'll take me to the factory so I can touch Nico's overalls or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Moxie Omen posted:

Vettel should go to Indycar... in a Ferrari :getin:

Nascar!

edit: race to the race.

who's going to get to the line first, Rosberg, Hamilton, or Phanfone?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 5, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ugh this race is probably going to be pretty good and it's on at a decent time, but I have to miss it. :negative:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Powershift posted:

who's going to get to the line first, Rosberg, Hamilton, or Phanfone?

The wind shouldn't be a concern in Suzuka since it's fairly inland relative to the direction of the storm. The rain, however... the FIA may look very silly later today after deciding yesterday against making the race start earlier since the latest forecast shows fairly heavy rain right around race start, as opposed to more moderate rain earlier in the afternoon. Have a look at a recent forecast:

Bar graph is rain in mm/h, bottom two rows are wind speed and direction. The teams won't have to deal with the heart of the storm, however knowing how Charlie doesn't like to run races in anything beyond drizzle we may have another Canada 2011 situation on our hands. Hope everyone staying up late for the race has plenty of Red Bull strong coffee to keep them awake!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

You know, I've always heard the stuff about how F1 cars have enough downforce to do a loop, but what about driving during a typhoon? :unsmigghh:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

JonTheDon posted:

It all could be an evil ploy by Ron Dennis - lead Alonso on up until the point he's about to sign on the dotted line, and then confirm Button and Magnussen instead, leaving Alonso without a drive.

:master:
:ms:

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Best hope for a decent race is light rain at the start that gets worse during the race. Charlie won't start a race in anything more then drizle, but it takes a heavier downpour for a red flag stoppage after the race has actually begun.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Good odds on the race starting behind the safety car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spaced God posted:

You know, I've always heard the stuff about how F1 cars have enough downforce to do a loop, but what about driving during a typhoon? :unsmigghh:

I've driven in 100kph winds, and when it's a tailwind the truck was overheating and begging for death dragging the weight up the hills.

With F1 cars engineered to the limit, i can't imagine it would take much of a tailwind to gently caress with everything from cooling to downforce.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Powershift posted:

I've driven in 100kph winds, and when it's a tailwind the truck was overheating and begging for death dragging the weight up the hills.

With F1 cars engineered to the limit, i can't imagine it would take much of a tailwind to gently caress with everything from cooling to downforce.

quote:

30-50mph (48-80 kph) winds expected at Suzuka Circuit approx 1600hrs, building to poss 140mph (225 kph) by 2100. High level of probability.
:getin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

@tgruener: #F1 Charlie Whiting just told us: If weather reports are correct, there will be no race today. More and more rain expected. Too dangerous.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The race in the evil empire is next week, too. This could potentially gently caress up preparations for the race in that poo poo hole. Good.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm holding out hope that Ukraine stages a massive airstrike on the track before Wednesday.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Kilonum posted:

I'm holding out hope that Ukraine stages a massive airstrike on the track before Wednesday.

It'd still be in better shape than the track for that Formula E race.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
So apparently it wasn't the FIA's fault that the race didn't start earlier. Honda, the main race promoters, declined the FIA's suggestion to move the race start up to avoid the worst of today's rain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The typhoon has hit the volcano raising the question "how are there still people in japan"

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Perez off trying to get to the grid.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Uncle Jam posted:

Perez off trying to get to the grid.

http://gfycat.com/DecentImpossibleChinchilla

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.
Are Dan doesn't want the safety car start. True Champion!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

gently caress off rain.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

This is poo poo, they're going to do a couple of safety car laps then park the race.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

This is poo poo, they're going to do a couple of safety car laps then park the race.

Yeah, that's a lot of water sitting on the track.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
gently caress Honda

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like this race should have started a couple of hours ago. That is so loving wet out there.

They won't finish this for sure.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And the cars have dissapeared!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

NtotheTC posted:

A few laps behind the safety car is going to clear a gently caress ton of water off the track.

Big diffuser + big tyres = quick drying

Might be ok if it isn't raining

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So honda, the track owner, would rather tickets be used to see a rainy parade than have a race run and a result reached in front of possibly half empty grandstands.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lol Ericsson

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

USGP 2005 part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009